Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
From the trailers, I thought this show looked incredibly stupid. My wife was determined to watch this show, though, so we gave it a chance, and I have to say, it seems to work.

Usually, the disparity between trailers and the actual show works the other way around. But not here. This show is pretty funny.

I bet $3.29 that nobody is supposed to be there, and that they are, in fact, being surreptitiously rehabilitated into good people so they can go to the real good place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Ernie. posted:

An ethics professor who has to solve the ultimate ethics question while finishing his thesis...
A bad person who has to atone and become good...
A prolific party planner who has to plan parties constantly while fighting with the fact that those closest to her are not in fact anywhere near being close enough...
An aspiring DJ who never hoped to be anything different while everyone around him kept telling him to...

Like to me it at least comes off as a pretty strong indication that all of these people carried forward their problems to this place, and are on a journey to improving. Ergo, they're in purgatory.

Ergo, they are in purgatory, vis-ŕ-vis their former sins and shortcomings. Concordantly, an building up of their souls is what they must strive for, even if their self-improvement is handled surreptitiously in a place that is only ostensibly "the Good Place."

This is my impression, too, because I'm sorry, but that party planner chick with the mansion? That's just not very heaveny, you know?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

ElScorcho posted:

That season 8 Friends joke made me laugh way more than it should have.

It vaguely felt like a Family Guy joke.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
This show really does make you want to see the next episode, and it doesn't feel like it's being cheap about it. I love it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
So with Janet being all cactusy and stuff because she's still rebuilding her database, was anyone else waiting for someone to say, "Dammit, Janet!"

Then smash cut to another character saying to someone else, "I love you!"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

karrethuun posted:

The whole sequence with the cactus absolutely slayed me.

Each one just kept getting better, especially when Michael kept asking if it was a cactus she was holding behind her back, and she kept denying it.

I knew, I knew, that it would be a cactus. But, they dragged it out just long enough that even though I'd predicted the punchline, I still laughed. The only thing that could have made it better was if that was the file... with pictures of cacti in it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

How can you not like cheese pizza

Cheese pizza should be called "incomplete pizza." Pizza should have meat.

"Oh, come on," some say, "a supreme pizza with lots of vegetables but no meat isn't a pizza?"

No. Not a good one, anyway.

"But I have a wonderful vegan pizza recipe!"

No, you don't.

Edit: Cheese pizza without sauce is called cheesy bread. (In case some of you who order that with your pizza wondered what it was, it's pizza dough they would have thrown away, but instead they tossed cheese on it and baked it.)

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 29, 2016

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

xbilkis posted:

I am excited by a role that allows Adam Scott to play a giant douche. The delivery of the "You should smile more" line killed me

He was wonderful in Step Brothers.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Not just calzones. But mini-calzones.

The kind that would ensicken Ron Swanson to the point that his bowel movements would crack a toilet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip0HaEnsFwQ

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Toplowtech posted:

I kinda hope the journos who created the brexit portmanteau (because politics needed brangolina-like portmanteau) will end up in the bad place.

I'll take political portmanteaus like "Brexit" every single day, and twice on Sundays, if it means we can stop using "-gate" as a suffix for political stories.

I mean, for gently caress's sake.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I love that the jig is up for Bonehead McFakemunk. I wonder how it's going to play out.

And yes, I second the booooooo on the two month break.

Fork the network execs who made that decision. Fork 'em right in the icehole.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

joebuddah posted:

I was thinking that James Roday as Shawn.

Or Dulé Hill as Jazz Hands.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Yes, Janet's sort-of bemused expression as he mashes the cake over her mouth, which is kind-of a tradition in and of itself (but you just know it was unintentional; he never thought about whether Janet knew she should eat cake or not), made it all work. So cheerfully clueless while knowing literally everything in the world.

I really like her performance.

This was a pretty good episode to get people re-acquainted with what all is going on. It wasn't terribly funny all the way through, but I feel like I'm ready for more after such a long break.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Wasn't it almost 30 episodes? As in, there were actually 29, maximum.

I love that a show in the UK might only have one episode per season. Sorry, I mean, one episode per series.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

PotatoJudge posted:

The Eleanors were hit by a bus, Chidi got smooshed by an air conditioner. Have they shown what killed Tahani? Is getting flattened like a pancake a prerequisite for getting into the Good Place?

Maybe not a prerequisite, but I bet you get a ton of points for getting offed by surprise. Think of it like extra credit.

Or, maybe that's just insane, but the system was programmed incorrectly and it awarded huge points for surprise deaths involving being smooshed by things. That neighborhood might be filled with really good people and bad people who were crushed by various things.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Pan Dulce posted:

I'm convinced Chidi's in the Good Place because he did nothing. Like, he's absolute neutral from Futurama.

He sought enlightenment, at the very least. And he sought the hell out of it, spending so much time seeking it. The enlightenment he sought was in the area of ethics, so... well, seeking the light is worth some points, I'm sure. Besides, I think you have to have a high score to get into The Good Place. I don't think it's as simple as coming out above zero.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

That's not even a joke, it's just a thing that actually happens. Jonathan Creek has had season lengths of 5, 6, 1, 6, 1, 6, 1, 1, 1, 3 and 1 episodes respectively, spaced out over almost twenty years, including a five year gap between 2004 and 2009.

So, it's like the Venture Bros., except with shorter breaks between seasons.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

I really like that they went into the fact that Eleanor doing good because she expected a reward wasn't actually doing good.

My only complaint about that was that it took longer than 7.32 seconds for any of the main characters to realize this. Of course, most of the other people apparently deserve their place in the Good... uhm, place. So, maybe they're just so unaccustomed to selfishness that they can't easily discern selfish motives from noble ones. That, and since they weren't all that selfish in real life, they don't know from experience that it can ruin the spirit of good deeds.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I looked up my posts in this thread to see if I saw this development coming... and my first couple seem to be headed in the right direction, but then the wool was pulled fully over my eyes.

This was a great way to end the season and shift the entire series. It's just a shame that we're not likely to see Adam Scott as Douche, King of the Demons again.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I just realized that I'm going to have to hang up my farging Johnny Dangerously fake curses because of this forking show.

I'll try not to be too much of an icehole or a bastage about it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I think I was assuming that all Good Places, and by extension Bad Places, are roughly the same in population: a hundred or so people are present. In that context, this particular Bad Place would seem immensely inefficient, taking care of only four people.

But, maybe Bad Places only have a small number of people. There's no reason to think that there's a mirror universe Good Place where a hundred or so bad people are tortured for eternity, because the only Good Place we've ever seen is really a Bad Place, and everything we know about Good and Bad Places was told to us by a lying liar who lies.

So maybe Michael's bold new plan for a Bad Place--a fake Good Place--is handling the right number of people, and the inclusion of so many extras was done just to provide some recreation for the architects who otherwise spend all of eternity planning the eternity of bad people. Even if the population of 4 is too small, it could be a proof-of-concept project, something to be scaled up later.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

The boss commented on a few occasions that all that work for 4 people seemed wasteful. This was just for fun

True. But maybe the waste wasn't so much about the number of people tortured, but the fact that instead of just designing a quick, efficient, and otherwise standard torture chamber, he was engineering an entire fake Good Place that required the participation of dozens of architects (or whatever they are). Regular Bad Places might only take a handful of demons to manage four people, or even just one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

Huh. I've heard that phrase all my life and had no idea it came from Ted Danson.

Well, I don't think he invented it. I heard one of my uncles make that reference once when I was a kid, and that was well before Mr. Danson thought it'd be a good idea to show up at a public event (roasting his girlfriend Whoopie Goldberg) after asking his makeup artist to give him the "Full Jolson."

• Locked thread