Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
NFL Week 2 is officially under way. I used to love the weekly pick 'em thread where people showed their picks and gave a reason or two to justify it. So, here's my effortpost to bring it back.

Jets @ Bills - The Jets look to be solid on defense and Mr. Harvard will play well enough to beat the Bills.

49ers @ Panthers - The Panthers are gonna bounce back big time against the 49ers.

Cowboys @ Redskins - I want to believe.

Bengals @ Steelers - Bengals have AJ Green, Steelers have Antonio Brown. The Bengals also have other good offensive players available and the Steelers don't get to run against the Redskins defense this week.

Saints @ Giants - Saints defense :lol:

Dolphins @Patriots - Everyone makes fun of the NFC East, and sometimes rightfully so, but is there ever ANY doubt as to who is going to win the AFC East every year? Yawn.

Chiefs @ Texans - That comeback win was full of, uh, grit, and moxy.

Titans @ Lions - Home field, Titans suck, Lions win.

Ravens @ Browns - Because The Browns.

Seahawks @ Rams - Because the Rams

Buccaneers @ Cardinals - Cards bounce back game.

Jaguars @ Chargers - Jags almost beat GB, the Chargers are not GB, therefore the Jags should win.

Falcons @ Raiders - Jack del Rio's massive balls save the day again somehow

Colts @ Broncos - gently caress the Colts.

Packers @ Vikings - Rodgers is too good to exist.

Eagles @ Bears - Wasn't sure on this one, so I went with my "gently caress the Eagles" policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The bills are going to defeat the jets, this Thursday night

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh man, Giants - Saints last year was epic, I can not wait for that game.

Seriously, look at this:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Bengals bitch

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Bengals missing Burfict and Eifert makes the Steelers a pretty solid favorite I think. Pittsburgh is missing a lot of people too but those two players make both the offense and defense look completely differently when they are in the game.

I'm worried about how much the Jets and Forte abused Vinny Rey and Dansby last week and how well Williams ran yesterday. The D-line is probably going to have to play way better if they want to keep the Steelers from putting up a large number.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Goetta posted:

Bengals missing Burfict and Eifert makes the Steelers a pretty solid favorite I think. Pittsburgh is missing a lot of people too but those two players make both the offense and defense look completely differently when they are in the game.

I'm worried about how much the Jets and Forte abused Vinny Rey and Dansby last week and how well Williams ran yesterday. The D-line is probably going to have to play way better if they want to keep the Steelers from putting up a large number.

This is true, but, on the other hand,

Anaranjado posted:

Bengals bitch

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Some general thoughts on some games:

Cowboys @ Washington - Washington's Defensive line was getting blown off the ball against the Steelers, and the Cowboys should be the super-charged version of that. It's gonna be on Kirk Cousins to throw for like 400+ yards against a lovely Cowboys defense to keep them in that game.

Jets @ Bills - Road teams on TNF are at a huge disadvantage, but this is probably the easiest version of that considering the Jets were at home and it's an instate game. The Bills looked really rough last week and the Jets looked rather good, especially on the defensive line. But Rex Ryan revenge games are weird, insane messes, so who knows.

Buccaneers @ Cardinals - So to stymie the Cardinals offense, you have to play your safeties deep because they love deep passing, while also styfling the run, at which point you only have to worry about Fitzgerald eating you up underneath. Have fun with that Buccs.

Colts @ Broncos - Andrew Luck looked fantastic against the Lions after not being able to throw like that at all last year.. Every other piece of the Colts looks bad, but if Luck can throw rainbows against the Broncos, we'll at least know a lot more about how he's gonna do this year

Bengals @ Steelers - Bengals D-line is more then a few steps ahead of Washington's, and Dalton won't be running for his life like against the Jets. This could be hell of a show between AJ and Brown.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Jags will win.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Chiefs @ Texans: Feels like the Texans have an edge. The Houston offense is much better than last year everywhere except OL health I guess, the KC defense is much worse. The KC offense feels better than last year, but Houston's D doesn't look like it has taken a step back. if Watt is near 100% then it may be a bad day on both sides of the ball, especially if the 1H of the Chargers game was a sign of KC's true ability.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Jags @ Chargers - In between incessant reminders to vote for Prop C, Mike McCoy is stabbed to death by John Spanos. His body is disposed of quietly.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kalli posted:

Some general thoughts on some games:

Cowboys @ Washington - Washington's Defensive line was getting blown off the ball against the Steelers, and the Cowboys should be the super-charged version of that. It's gonna be on Kirk Cousins to throw for like 400+ yards against a lovely Cowboys defense to keep them in that game.

:getin:

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
I guess no one else enjoyed picking all the games :smith:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Broadcast it in nv

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the eliminator site gets it all out of my system, but, the dolphins will beat the patriots.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

NattyBo posted:

NFL Week 2 is officially under way. I used to love the weekly pick 'em thread where people showed their picks and gave a reason or two to justify it. So, here's my effortpost to bring it back.

Jets @ Bills - The Jets look to be solid on defense and Mr. Harvard will play well enough to beat the Bills.

49ers @ Panthers - The Panthers are gonna bounce back big time against the 49ers.

Cowboys @ Redskins - I want to believe.

Bengals @ Steelers - Bengals have AJ Green, Steelers have Antonio Brown. The Bengals also have other good offensive players available and the Steelers don't get to run against the Redskins defense this week.

Saints @ Giants - Saints defense :lol:

Dolphins @Patriots - Everyone makes fun of the NFC East, and sometimes rightfully so, but is there ever ANY doubt as to who is going to win the AFC East every year? Yawn.

Chiefs @ Texans - That comeback win was full of, uh, grit, and moxy.

Titans @ Lions - Home field, Titans suck, Lions win.

Ravens @ Browns - Because The Browns.

Seahawks @ Rams - Because the Rams

Buccaneers @ Cardinals - Cards bounce back game.

Jaguars @ Chargers - Jags almost beat GB, the Chargers are not GB, therefore the Jags should win.

Falcons @ Raiders - Jack del Rio's massive balls save the day again somehow

Colts @ Broncos - gently caress the Colts.

Packers @ Vikings - Rodgers is too good to exist.

Eagles @ Bears - Wasn't sure on this one, so I went with my "gently caress the Eagles" policy.

I honestly feel like all but the Ravens and Raiders picks are going to be wrong. I expect a bunch of crazy upsets.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

NattyBo posted:

I guess no one else enjoyed picking all the games :smith:

Blank template so people can copy&paste:

Jets @ Bills
49ers @ Panthers
Cowboys @ Redskins
Bengals @ Steelers
Saints @ Giants
Dolphins @ Patriots
Chiefs @ Texans
Titans @ Lions
Ravens @ Browns
Seahawks @ Rams
Buccaneers @ Cardinals
Jaguars @ Chargers
Falcons @ Raiders
Colts @ Broncos
Packers @ Vikings
Eagles @ Bears

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 15, 2016

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Jets @ Bills - Because the Bills are a mirage, even more so than the Jets
49ers @ Panthers - Closer than people think, but still no chance the Niners win
Cowboys @ Redskins. - Washington lol
Bengals @ Steelers - Rapist to Antonio Brown is too good of a connection
Saints @ Giants - Saints defense lost their only good player, Giants defense is good
Dolphins @ Patriots - Oh Tannehill, the dream is dead
Chiefs @ Texans - Alex Smith just wins games
Titans @ Lions - Lions got better by subtraction when Megatron retired
Ravens @ Browns - Because the Browns actively want to lose
Seahawks @ Rams - Seahawks offense works through Wilson, who has an ankle that doesn't work. All the sacks.
Buccaneers @ Cardinals - Palmer continues the steep decline
Jaguars @ Chargers - Without Keenan Allen, Chargers have to rely too heavily on Rivers pulling plays out of his rear end
Falcons @ Raiders - The Falcons are as terrible as the Saints
Colts @ Broncos - Trevor Siemien is the next Alex Smith
Packers @ Vikings - Aaron Rodgers vs Sam Bradford
Eagles @ Bears - Wentz falls to earth against a competent (but not great) Fangio defense

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Coldforge posted:

Blank template so people can copy&paste:

Jets @ Bills
49ers @ Panthers
Cowboys @ Redskins
Bengals @ Steelers
Saints @ Giants
Dolphins @ Patriots
Chiefs @ Texans
Titans @ Lions
Ravens @ Browns
Seahawks @ Rams
Buccaneers @ Cardinals
Jaguars @ Chargers
Falcons @ Raiders
Colts @ Broncos
Packers @ Vikings
Eagles @ Bears

exactly half of these teams will win, and those that do will score more points than the team they play against

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Magicpants posted:

exactly half of these teams will win, and those that do will score more points than the team they play against

I don't think you understand how football works.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Texans will destroy the Chiefs in the name of justice

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Coldforge posted:

I don't think you understand how football works.

um excuse you, but I just watched a bunch of Dak Prescott tape set to trap music on youtube and I can guarantee you he is a quarterback

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Magicpants posted:

um excuse you, but I just watched a bunch of Dak Prescott tape set to trap music on youtube and I can guarantee you he is a quarterback

My mistake, then. You obviously do understand the game of football.

I apologize.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Magicpants posted:

Hmm. No ties. Bold picks.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

Wouldn't surprise me, I'd like to think the Chiefs D is still better than the Bears at least but there are enough holes that if Brock plays a halfway decent game they should put up points easily enough. And even though people never admit it you gotta think they really want this game after last year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Honest question: does Jamaal Charles get cut after this season?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I mean, he at least has to have some small trade value. Spencer Ware looks like the real deal but he's not ridiculous like Charles has been at times.

I guess it depends on if he doesn't look like himself after the most recent ACL whenever he does actually play (which might not be this week but will happen eventually). If he does come back at least decently no way a straight cut is happening. If he looks bad then...well, the injuries will have finally caught up to him. In that case yeah, I could see a cut happening then. It would be very sad.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jets @ Bills - Didn't watch Bills-Ravens, but the Jets defensive front looks real good
49ers @ Panthers - Spread is 13.5? yeah, that's about right.
Cowboys @ Washington - Cowboys oline pushes them around. Probably a lot like the Steelers game except without the interesting passes.
Bengals @ Steelers - No one gets out alive
Saints @ Giants - Hopefully as funny as last year's game
Dolphins @ Patriots - I think the Pats being a touchdown favorite is wrong here, since very little could've changed and seen the Dolphins beat the Seahawks with the Pats losing, but at home, with that healthy defense they should be favorites.
Chiefs @ Texans - These two feel like really similar teams to me.
Titans @ Lions - Like what the Lions are doing on offense, do not like the Titans'
Ravens @ Browns
Seahawks @ Rams - I have no faith in the Rams offense, but a gimpy Wilson with that line, against that defensive front? What the hell, let's go for the upset special.
Buccaneers @ Cardinals
Jaguars @ Chargers - Jaguars are improving, but still look like a team trying to find its winners legs, sorta like the Lions of a few years back.
Falcons @ Raiders
Colts @ Broncos
Packers @ Vikings - Should probably start Bradford, he's better then Hill most likely already. Honestly, Packers didn't look that great while the Vikings' defense ate up Tennesse... these two teams may be closer then you'd think except one has a really good QB.
Eagles @ Bears

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

Honest question: does Jamaal Charles get cut after this season?

It's more likely that he'd retire if he can't return to form or be traded.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Jets @ Bills - Rex is a bad coach now
49ers @ Panthers - bloodbath
Cowboys @ Redskins - Home team and the Cowboys don't have a quarterback
Bengals @ Steelers
Saints @ Giants
Dolphins @ Patriots - Why won't the patriots just lose already?!?!
Chiefs @ Texans
Titans @ Lions - Titans are really bad, Lions offense looks potent without megatron
Ravens @ Browns - Will the Browns win a game this year?
Seahawks @ Rams - Seahawks aren't good on the road but the Rams are putrid
Buccaneers @ Cardinals - Cardinals should be fired up after last weeks loss
Jaguars @ Chargers - Jags are better than you might think!
Falcons @ Raiders - Haven't seen either play recently but I hear the Raiders are on the rise?
Colts @ Broncos - UPSET SPECIAL
Packers @ Vikings - Vikings can only win if they can get Rodgers to cough up turnovers, good luck with that
Eagles @ Bears - Gonna take a mediocre Bears team to one led by a rookie qb

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Yay, people made picks :dance:

I do the pickem site too but I love people's funny/stupid explanations for their picks, plus the emojis for right/wrong picks at the end of the week

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

NattyBo posted:

Yay, people made picks :dance:

I do the pickem site too but I love people's funny/stupid explanations for their picks, plus the emojis for right/wrong picks at the end of the week

Yeah, the best part is having a hot take on record each week.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Coldforge posted:

Yeah, the best part is having a hot take on record each week.

Here's mine:

Dolphins @ Patriots

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Power of Pecota posted:

Here's mine:

Dolphins @ Patriots

:aaaaa:

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
Jets @ Bills – Too late to pick this one, but I was a bit surprised at the result. Thought the Jets would collapse after giving up 2 quick TDs to start the second half.

49ers @ Panthers – The latest evidence that the NFL needs a mercy rule.

Cowboys @ Redskins – I know the Steelers are pretty good, but holy poo poo did the Redskins look awful in Week 1. Dak Prescott didn’t look like he was playing in his first NFL game against the Giants to me. Despite the intense rivalry, I think the Cowboys win this easily.

Bengals @ Steelers – Just heard Burfict is out for this game. Fortunately for the Steelers, they look good enough to win even without the hundreds of yards of penalties he gives away.

Saints @ Giants – As appalling as last year’s debacle was, the Giants did manage to score 49 points. And that was with only OBJ. Now they have Cruz back and Shepard looks like someone opposing defenses will have to pay attention to. In addition, the Giants’ defense is almost competent now, while Saints still look like they're grabbing random people off the street.

Dolphins @ Patriots – No Brady just means the Pats win this by 2TDs instead of 4.

Chiefs @ Texans

Titans @ Lions

Ravens @ Browns – No, it’s not too early to start the 0-16 watch.

Seahawks @ Rams – See 49ers @ Panthers.

Buccaneers @ Cardinals

Jaguars @ Chargers

Falcons @ Raiders

Colts @ Broncos – I wonder what the NFL record is for shutouts in one weekend of play?

Packers @ Vikings – Vikings may have improved, but the Pack still rules this division.

Eagles @ Bears – Can’t believe this poo poo is the Monday night game.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Jets @ Bills
whatever, late

49ers @ Panthers
Cowboys @ Redskins I want to believe in Dak, but after last game, I don't.
Bengals @ Steelers
Saints @ Giants The Saints have no offense vs. Eli 4th quarter bullshit.
Dolphins @ Patriots
Chiefs @ Texans
Titans @ Lions Lions' offense better than I thought, Titans in general worse than I thought. :smith:
Ravens @ Browns
Seahawks @ Rams
Buccaneers @ Cardinals
Jaguars @ Chargers
Falcons @ Raiders
Colts @ Broncos This game is gonna suuuuuuuuuck.
Packers @ Vikings
Eagles @ Bears

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Intruder posted:

i mean probably yeah

but first

http://i.imgur.com/zMalq0k.gifv

sorry, i had to use it one last time while i still can

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Jets @ Bengals
Bengals @ Panthers
Bengals @ Redskins
Bengals @ Steelers
Saints @ Bengals
Bengals @ Patriots
Bengals @ Texans
Titans @ Bengals
Ravens @ Bengals
Seahawks @ Bengals
Bengals @ Cardinals
Jaguars @ Bengals
Falcons @ Bengals
Bengals @ Broncos
Bengals @ Vikings
Eagles @ Bengals

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

NattyBo posted:

People make fun of the NFCE because it's composed of 4 incompetent teams each trying to take a bigger poo poo in their own cereal and convince themselves it's cornflakes.

The AFCE is 3 of those teams + the Patriots.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Malloreon posted:

People make fun of the NFCE because it's composed of 4 incompetent teams each trying to take a bigger poo poo in their own cereal and convince themselves it's cornflakes.

The AFCE is 3 of those teams + the Patriots.

The Cowboys have been pretty competent. Their problem is that they have QB with bones made of cornflakes.

Also, Eagles are gonna win this week by double digits. Chicago is a bottom 3 team in the league IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Jets @ Bills
whatever, late

49ers @ Panthers
Cowboys @ Redskins I want to believe in Dak, but after last game, I don't.
Bengals @ Steelers
Saints @ Giants The Saints have no offense vs. Eli 4th quarter bullshit.
Dolphins @ Patriots
Chiefs @ Texans
Titans @ Lions Titans bitch
Ravens @ Browns
Seahawks @ Rams
Buccaneers @ Cardinals
Jaguars @ Chargers
Falcons @ Raiders
Colts @ Broncos This game is gonna suuuuuuuuuck.
Packers @ Vikings
Eagles @ Bears

I made one change

• Locked thread