Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm reposting this here in the discussion thread for those who don't follow the recommendation thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTzwCvyWjGo

A surprisingly accurate video on the history of let's play, taking the role SA had in making this a thing in full regard. A good watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

While working on an update just now, I noticed that the latest version of Firefox now blocks Adobe Flash by default, popping up a notification asking whether you want to run it or not.

I knew this was coming, I think Chrome is going to do something similar. It's because Flash is just not secure anymore and it's time to switch to HTML 5.

The thing is, some services we commonly use - in my case TinDeck - aren't up to date yet and only support Flash. It still works, but it costs an extra click just to play a soundbite and it's expected that as time goes on, browsers will make it more and more difficult to run flash stuff.

Might be a good idea to start looking into HTML5-supporting alternatives.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I agree, but in this specific case, you know that lpix can host MP3s now, right? As long as they don't exceed the per-file size limit. Should be perfect for soundbites.

... I did not know that. That's useful information.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I've been having the same problem for a long while and don't know how to fix it. I'm guessing it somehow refreshes old entries regularly and some readers can't deal with that.

My solution is to use the new LP thread as main source for new LPs.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any way to get rid of spam/phishing comments posted under the music you uploaded on tindeck, other than by moving to another service entirely?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Red Metal posted:

I'm not seeing that

e: nvm found them

They used to be way more visible. The new UX design from a few months ago almost completely hid them, afaik they're only visible when you first upload a new picture, you can't find them for existing pictures anymore.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Weird, I can get the links to my images in imgur no problem.

What about preformatted [img] links to other people's images? True, those don't matter much in letsplay, but elsewhere on the forums, imgur has become somewhat more annoying to use since the redesign.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This LP in the archive has youtube links - but for some reason they don't link directly to youtube, but to some no longer existing site instead.

http://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-Minish-Cap/

Any chance of this getting fixed?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fedule posted:

We don't deserve you, baldurk.

MeccaPrime posted:

You're awesome.

Indeed.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I read your OP and watched bits and pieces of your first video.

First, one note on the OP: It's of course completely fine to allow spoilers, but I'm slightly surprised that you took "I've already completed the game" as a reason over "most viewers will already know the plot of this game". But that's really minor.

Concerning the video, first of all, is it me or is the recording quality a bit low? Even with Youtube at the highest resolution... I don't remember Skyward Sword looking quite this low-res. Fake edit: After looking up some other people's recording, yeah this one def seems to be lower recording quality.

Secondly, I noticed you constantly talking over the opening cutscene. It felt like you were trying to fill every moment of the video with your own words, which gets annoying after a bit. A bit of quiet is completely fine and gives viewers the opportunity to focus on what the game has to say. But that might just be your start-up nervousness.

Other than that, as far as I could see in my quick look, the LP seems fine.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

You can spoil whatever the gently caress you want, it's your thread

Indeed. It's just the somewhat unusual phrasing that made me raise one eyebrow.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Catberry posted:

I just recently started a playthrough of final fantasy 7. I googled in hopes of finding an SA thread to discuss the game. The only thread I found was a locked thread and a link to the archive page.

https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VII/Update%2015/

I did some reading and then some more. Now I'm 2 hours into just reading and it has been a widely entertaining read and I play to read all of it as I gradually make my way through the game. The page mentions the option to donate money for the archive page but I couldn't find more information on where to do that. I just want to throw a few bucks their way for the high quality article.

I think you might be misunderstanding something here. The letsplays on lparchive.org have not been done by baldurk, the person who runs the site. They have been done by all kinds of people on these forums. As it's not allowed to 'shill for donations' for an LP, all LPs are done completely voluntarily. So, if you were to donate to lparchive, no money would go to the people who made that LP. It would go to maintenance of the archive site instead. The LP makers wouldn't mind because they never asked for/expected money in the first place.

In case you do want to donate to baldurk for the maintenance of the LP archive, which I do think is a worthy place to put your money - I honestly have no idea where to do that, or whether he even accepts donations at this time. But he reads this thread so I'm sure he can answer this question.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There are also tons of tiny things:

- Don't have intros to your videos, or if you do, make them not loud and shorter than 5 seconds.
- Do not ask for likes or subscribes.
- Pace your updates and don't make the videos too long or too short.
- And probably other things I'm forgetting.

It's best to just, well, lurk more. Just go check out some running LPs and see what works for them. And yeah, just make a test post here and we can give more advice based on that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pursus posted:

Well, I guess I'm halfway there.

*I do use an intro, but it's just a three-second splash screen with a sound effect. I manually normalize all my audio so I don't have any big volume spikes with the intro/outro.
*I don't use a facecam or beg for likes/subscribes.
*I've been slamming out videos on YT to build a bit of a back-catalogue, but I was intending to take the SA one slowly to let the thread keep up. I usually do 25-30 minute videos, is that alright? If people want bigger chunks I can just upload two at a time or something.
Sounds good. 25-30 minutes is perfect, I suggest updating no more than once or twice a week, but that's up to you.

quote:

When you say "reading dialog out loud" are you talking about reading text boxes (I do this)
Don't do this.

quote:

I'd just post one of my other videos to see where you think I fall on these points, but I don't want to shill, maybe I'll just do the first video and mock up the OP in here and you guys can just tell me if I suck. If anyone really wants to look, my youtube and SA names are the same.
:justpost:, if it's just a test video it won't seem like a shill.

quote:

I'm obviously not known at all, any ideas about which of the games I listed might work best as far as interest goes?

Don't do this. The first post of this thread says:

quote:

: How can I ask if anyone is wanting to see me LPing this game? What is an interest check?

: There's no point in posting an interest check without something to show for it. An interest check is just asking whether people want to see an LP without actually putting forth some significant sample content (more than just an OP).

For the most part, people won't really care if you LP the game or not, and it's very difficult to judge whether an LP would be interesting or not without seeing an actual update of it. If you want to know if people are interested, make a test post - don't just post "Would anyone like to see an LP of this game?". This applies no matter how much you have to decide before starting, or if you're unsure about how to LP the game. If you're not ready to put in the effort to make an LP without knowing how many people are going to be interested then you probably aren't ready to post an LP anyway.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Here's a rough guide I post when this comes up. Probably needs some tweaking and updating but it'll do for a start.

Things may change based on stuff like OS, software preferences, type of game LPed, and so on. Should be a good starting point, at least.

I personally take screenshots from the avi using VLC's built in screenshot keyboard shortcut. In the settings you can set what kind of name you want the images to have, and it will append numbers such as 001 itself.

After taking screenshots I first go through the folder, remove any duplicates or otherwise failed images. Then I upload all images to lpix, and write the update directly on the screenshot LP test poster at https://lpix.org/sslptest/ because it supports BBcode. If it looks good in the sslptest preview, I upload it here.

I didn't know about that replace links plugin, that would certainly have been useful, and I didn't know about those Notepad++ macros either, that's handy too.

I usually have a browser open with the sslp test post in the first tab, the lpix folder with my images in the 2nd tab, then I middle click a couple dozen images so they open in new tabs in the right order, and then I work through the image tabs one by one. Maybe not the most efficient way but it works well for me.

Then, for convenience I actually use my second screen to look up background information, music links, and to play my video recording to see if I didn't miss anything. That's also where I make gifs, because I usually decide if I need them while writing an update.

I use gifcam for making gifs (couldn't get gooncam to work for some reason). The edit function is useful for picking exactly the frames you want.

juicedup posted:

Thanks guys.
I love the community here. Those ten bucks really are worth it.
I hope my LP goes well, It's too bad I'm not funny like most LPrs from this site.

Don't worry, I'm not the funniest guy on the block either. I try to be informative instead.

Better that than people who think they're funny but are not. Those folks make the shittiest LPs.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

noether posted:

okay! I think the images ought to look better now. let me know how this draft looks:

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147496

It's up to you, but unless people are shitposting or called eonwe, I strongly prefer sentences to start with an uppercase letter.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

that ivy guy posted:

So, I've been recording some daily runs on the binding of isaac, but it seems like diversifying is going to be a good way to go forward here—going to start a walkthrough of sorts with the game. New save file, race to 1000000%, explaining stuff as we go. Any feedback regarding this tentative OP?

(The first walkthrough video should be done uploading in around an hour)

The walkthrough video is still processing, but you might want to mention in your post that Isaac is a roguelike game (if you die you have to start over, but you permanently unlock items) that seems vaguely inspired by the gameplay of the original Legend of Zelda, but with way more poop humour.

I'm saying this because, one, you never describe what the game actually IS, and two, while I think most people will by now be familiar with Isaac, some might not be and I've talked to quite a few people who wouldn't even give the game a go because it looked gross. The gameplay is actually really good, and it won't do any harm to 'sell' the letsplay and the game by mentioning that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

I have a new LP ready to go, with plenty of backlog to keep updates timely. Problem is it starts a little slow as my co-commentator and I work out some logistical issues involving stream lag. By the second session we've resolved the issues, but because of the nature of the LP (Blind + Live Commentary) redoing the beginning isn't really an option. Do I just make the thread with the first episode and hope for the best, or should I start with three episodes so people can see what the rest of the LP will be like from the start?

Without further info, I suggest you add the occassional line of post-commentary or subtitling to explain to the viewer what's going on and till what time in the video they can skip if they don't want to see you fiddling around with settings. Alternatively, you could just do a bit of editing, cutting the boring parts out entirely.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

Oh it's nothing as bad as fiddling with setting on camera. Mostly just too much meta-commentary about the stream delay compared to actually commentary on the game. Probably I'm just being too much of a perfectionist. (I tend to do that.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqYe0h5J4gg&t=2100s Like here where my partner is mostly silent and I'm flying solo because of stream delay. Probably I'm overthinking this and should :justpost:

At the very least you might want to enable embedding of your videos. I had to click through to youtube and then to your timestamp manually because you turned off embeds.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Skypizza posted:

I was wondering if there was an existing discord channel for this forum? If not, what do you guys think of having one? It could make collabs ten times easier, maybe even have some fun discussions.

1. Go to the first post in this thread.
2. Press Ctrl+F.
3. Search 'Discord'
4. Click on the link you find.

Good luck!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

So, a bit of an odd question which probably doesn't have a straight answer. What would be a good way to invoke posts in my threads? I know I can't make people post or anything, but it I notice my threads will usually get hundreds, maybe thousands of views, but very little audience participation or feedback. Is there anything I should do to try and fix this?

One thing I noticed in your Paper Mario LP which I watched, and overall, enjoyed, is that you seem to approach the game in a very casual way. What I mean with that is that you enjoy playing through it, know the overall game progression - but you don't seem to go into detail very much considering plot and character details. I don't have an example ready, but one thing I noticed is that sometimes you'd go "This is character X, he wants Mario to do Y, but I don't really know why." Or "This is character X, he wants Mario to get him an ice cream, I think because he likes ice cream or something."

While in fact, I know that Paper Mario has a surprisingly detailed world where all those little details and reasons why characters do stuff are explained, either in dialogue with them or in dialogue with nearby NPCs. Quite often it felt to me like you didn't even bother finding out those world-building details, you just went with a guess from memory and that was it.

And if you don't seem to care about that stuff, why should I, you know?

So I personally would suggest you really become an expert on the games you LP. Either you show off all NPC dialogue on screen and talk about it, or you play ahead on a second file and use that for input for your commentary. While you're at it, if you find you have gaps in your gameplay knowledge/special weapon powers/stuff like that, go look it up in a guide or wiki. That kind of game mechanics details that a casual player might never bother with are interesting to me when I watch an LP.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

Hey everyone, this is not an OP yet I am fairly new to this site and I wanted to get some feedback by putting my LP on here. I made the mistake of starting with an OP and got torn to bits but still had some constructive criticism, so I did some research and my second attempt I am trying it on this thread first. Enjoy and do let me know what you think!

Let's be a Hacker! Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory

The Story
The story of DSCS: HM runs parallel to the one from the first game. In this story we follow our protagonist Keisuke Amazawa, whose Eden account is stolen in a hacking attack. After the identity theft leaves him accused of a crime he didn't commit, he joins a group of hackers called "Hudie" and delves into the depths of Eden to find the real culprit. Along the way, he befriends a number of Digimon, digital lifeforms who inhabit the information world and are used as hacking tools. Characters from the original Cyber Sleuth such as Fei and her partner TigerVespamon from the hacker group Zaxon also appear, showing a previously unseen side of their story from the previous title.

Spoilers
While I have played the first Digimon Story game, I do not remember much, as well as I am going into this Let's Play completely blind, so while you may correct/add connections to the first game, please do not spoil this game for me or other viewers.

Notes
In my updates I will list the digimon I will be using as well as characters that we are introduced to as the story goes along.

Table of Contents
Episode 1: Let's become a Hacker

Looks like a big improvement compared to your first attempt! I personally don't have any direct criticism right now - except for pointing out a tiny technical glitch: your audio suddenly cuts out 3 seconds before the end of the video.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

baldurk posted:

Side-note, do people not use the master list anymore? I found that a large number of the LPs didn't have entries there and I had to add them manually.

I can't speak for anyone else but I honestly tend to forget that it exists. If I need to *find* an LP, either I know there's one going on right now because I saw the notice in the new LP thread, or I do the search on the lparchive.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, so first of all, I suggest perhaps not making EVERY POSSIBLE CHOICE a thread vote. It really depends on the situation. But it doesn't seem wise to cut off a video 5 minutes after it starts because some sort of fake choice comes up.

And secondly, if I remember the LP someone did of the first game correctly, there were one or two short bits where the LPer self-censored and cut those bits out because they were simply too inappropriate even for South Park. I suggest you put NSFW in your thread title, and if you come along any of those parts, use your best judgement, or if you aren't sure, contact one of the LP mods to ask if something is okay or not. Don't go censoring the whole game, then there wouldn't be any point in LP'ing it, but if you run into any 'holy poo poo did they really do that' moments, maybe think twice.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

I just always like to hammer home the point that there's no hard and fast rule. I'm doing Killzone Shadow Fall atm, which I feel is still a pretty darn recent game, and my cocommentators and I have talked constantly over EVERY cutscene so far and the thread hasn't complained yet.

That said, random YouTube commentators have complained. They always complain.

I say, if you care enough as an LPer, going with ThornBrain's solution is the best: have two versions for each video, one with full commentary, and one with the same commentary except during cutscenes it's muted. Give people a choice and there's a lot less to complain about.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The people running the Something Awful forums are overworked, sick, death or all of the above. Don't get your hopes up.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Quackles posted:

This is a test post of a level from the game I'm planning to Let's Play, Shenzhen I/O. This is going to be a screenshot LP, and it's written in-character from the point of the game's protagonist, the Engineer (the premise is it's their blog about their job).

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151776

In addition to levels, I'm going to have posts where I explain the game mechanics, as well, seeing as this is a Zachlike (i.e. programming game). I might also have the Engineer respond to reader posts if they have something interesting to say.

Thoughts?

I like this game.

About your test post: Right now it feels very disjointed. Like we're only seeing flashes of a story. Is it supposed to be like that?

Also, please do not ever use [timg]s or thumbnail screenshots in an SSLP. Use full size images, shrink overview images before posting them on the forum, or crop the relevant parts when you want to show the programming you did in a chip.
Having to click on timgs/thumbnails to see them full size takes you right out of the flow of reading the LP and makes it so annoying that I won't follow an LP at all no matter how good it is otherwise.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not gonna read an LP where I have to click on every image to understand what it's telling me. If resizing on its own doesn't give useful images, then you should look into cropping and/or multi-image approaches. Like, you could have a full-size image of the chip along with a smaller image of the play area.

This. Also, looking at the test post again, I think the problem is you don't go into what makes this game interesting at all. You show the story, give a reply to that, then show the solution to the puzzle and that's that. There's nothing about your thought process. Nothing about why the design you made works here.

I don't think that with a game like Shenzhen I/O you're gonna get away with only separate game mechanics posts. Every single step of the LP should breathe game mechanics, puzzle solving, trying stuff. It's a complicated puzzle game, so show that off in your LP. And don't assume that if you dump a bunch of code in a screenshot that viewers are gonna 'get' it. Zachtronics games are very hard to follow if the player doesn't spell out their thought process.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Quackles posted:

OK, so I realized that part of the problem (aside from the whole business with the [timg]s) was that:

[1] The test post I presented the first time was for the fourth mission, not the first. Zachlikes really need you to experience the game in order, or you will be at sea.
[2A] I didn't post any examples of the additional explaining I was going to be doing, giving the thing no context.
[2B] I also hadn't focused on explaining what each solution is actually doing, as Carbon dioxide pointed out.

So, here's a new test post. This is for the first mission (now [timg] free!), and includes the first 'Engineer's Corner' explanation post attached to it.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151781

It should be noted that the first part of this post is still not as well commented, though it's explained in Engineer's Corner afterwards— that's on purpose. The way I'm writing it is, the Engineer doesn't realize they need to explain to everyone until they get the comments back, and that's why they start the Corner series.

From there, future mission posts will explain what each chip is doing in a straightforward way...
("This job only needs one MC [microcontroller]. It's getting the value from the input, storing it in the accumulator, multiplying it by 2, and pushing that to the output.")

...which is going to be really important in later levels when you're stringing multiple chips together.
("This MC handles the input. If it's sound data, it pipes it out x1 to the sound-handling chip.")

I do feel more confident about the LP than I did before. Thank you all for your excellent advice!

That looks a lot better! :justpost:

Just one final remark: it might be a good idea to put an out-of-character description of how your LP works with the double posts in the OP, otherwise people might be confused.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I agree. Either make it a stream or have some live-commentators during recording who can give you hints on the go.

Reason I'm saying this is while blind LPs can be fun, to me at least it becomes less fun when someone spends 30 minutes bonking their head at the same puzzle or missing something that is obvious to me. A co-commentator can ask if you want a hint after a couple minutes of being stuck.

On the other hand, I've seen quite a few people who seem to love people stumbling around for who knows how long, so maybe disregard this post in favour of them.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Halp I'm very spooked by these changes :ghost:

Edit:

Psycho Knight posted:

It's not that. When I tried using the "https://" it ended up doubling the slash and made it look something like [url="https://https:////". Plus, in my post above, where I linked the videos properly, the code is [url=www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A1Z4xiqBb8. I just copied that directly out of the post.

I have no idea what's going on to be honest. I was reading over my test post again a few hours ago and half the dialog changes I made yesterday are present while half are not. :iiam:

I'm working on posting the thread now. I'll just have to keep an eye on it and double check when I post to make sure it all looks right on the forum. Maybe I'm using the SSLP tester incorrectly somehow.

I don't know what the hell you're doing with the test poster, but I do know your link in the new LP thread is broken because you added www to forums.somethingawful, while the forums cannot be reached if you type in www in front of them.

As a general tip: In web urls, "http://" or "https://" is the protocol, it tells your browser in what way it should retrieve data. http and https are the default for sending web pages. There are others but those are mostly used in rather technical settings. The s in https means that it's secure. "http://" or "https://" are required in every web url, but if you forget to type it in the browser bar, your browser will just try them one by one until it finds something. However, you usually need to explicitly add them to page links otherwise it might not work.

On the other hand, www is... well, a mistake. I suppose that in the beginning days, it was thought that www would be a good way to discern between world wide web pages and internal company network pages. However, it doesn't add any information: If a site is reachable on the web, it's obviously a world wide web page. On top of that, it can be a big hassle for site admins to support both URLs with www and without, because the server treats those as different pages. Sites nowadays (should) either automatically redirect anything starting in www to its non-www equivalent, or not accept www URLs at all. SA does the latter.

tldr; always use "https://", never use "www".

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 2, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I've got it in my head to do some sort of weird Legacy inter-generational Pokemon run going from Gen 3 to Gen 6 or 7 (by emulator). The start will be either FR/LG or R/S/E with the goal to take a set of Pokemon through every region (B/W. Pokemon on the final team at end game will be bred and the Eggs (or the hatched pokemon) will be passed onto the next game. May or may not make it a Nuzlocke run to actually make it challenging or do something to make it actually interesting. My only hitch is that I've never done an LP before so this might be a bit too ambitious. At the higher generations, I may just have to hatch and then hack in the pokemon since Bank doesn't exist for emulation.

If you really want to do this (I agree it's ambitious), an interesting thing to do is start with a pokemon in R/S/E and migrate it all the way to Alpha Ruby/Omega Sapphire. If you hack stuff you'll need to hack in the place of origin as well and even then it might not work if you don't officially transfer it, but you get a little neat thing for doing this.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Something I find that helps with making the "should I lp this???" decisions is actually recording a bit of gameplay and writing a proof of concept. You don't ever have to show it to anyone, but just writing a single test update lets you get a feel for what the challenges of lping that particular game would be. Ask yourself "is this something I can feasibly do multiple times per week for months on end?"

Reminder that it's also fine to have a couple weeks between updates. That does mean it takes longer before the whole thing is finished, of course.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

baldurk posted:

The recent drought is certainly my fault, I apologise for that. The excuses are pretty much what you'd expect - life getting busy and not having as much time to dedicate to this, combined with just putting things off. I kept thinking I would find the time sometime soon but that's easier said than done as I never found a weekend to catch up.

The main issue I have finding time is that while some LPs only take a couple of minutes to process, others can take an hour or more. That means I get blocked on a particularly time-consuming LP even as a backlog of 'easy' ones builds up, and I don't want to queue-jump because I know if that happens then the difficult LPs will just get continually deferred and never processed.

The bottleneck is me doing manual edits - I've got the scripts to the point where most things are automated for an LP in an ideal format. Where it falls down is things like an LP with an inconsistent or badly formatted TOC, posts in the thread that aren't linked or are linked outside the TOC, generally anything that doesn't fit the regimented format that the scripts expect.

In the past I've tried to be really generous about manually massaging an LP on behalf of authors into the right form out of whatever is in the thread, but that's what takes the bulk of my time. Being realistic that's going to have to change because I clearly can't afford to do that anymore. I'll start pushing back that work onto authors - asking them to make changes in the original posts to align to what I need to be able to run the scripts, at least when those changes are non-trivial. Similarly with any formatting/spelling/grammar fixes.

About people helping out - my concern in the past has been that this is how the archive used to work years ago, with people encouraged to run the scripts themselves and gather the thread for their LP or someone else's LP. It was a nice idea but in practice it ended up being more work to correct any mistakes and double check the contents (since with a zip of html it's hard to know if something somewhere got broken) than it was to archive the thread myself. If I'm pushing more of the work back onto the authors to edit in their threads then it's something that people could help out with, but it'd need the authors to share their posts onto the sslp test poster somewhere and ask someone to help with that.

I will go through the backlog this weekend and clear it out. After that I'll post guidelines on what will make my life easier - it's going to seem picky & anal in places, but I guess it's better to be picky and active than tolerant and go ages without updates.

That sounds like a good way to go about things. Thanks!
Just one point of note: with this approach you are somewhat condemning yourself to respond to authors within a couple of months of them submitting a thread, because if they need to go back and make edits, that can only happen before the thread gets locked by the forums for forum archival.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Was archiving fixed? Last I heard threads were basically never dying.

They don't go into the actual archives thing but they still get locked in a way that I think mods can't undo.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

For those who used Annotations for anything on old vids, all of those have been archived by the Internet Archive and are/will be made available again through plugins: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/b7imx9/youtube_annotation_archive_annotation_data_from/

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Why does everyone assume I'm being a dick?

It's the 2nd rule of Let's Play

E: Like hearing it's against the rules, and assuming you can ask a mod pretty special please with sugar on top can I break that rule, is something that new goons do, since old goons know that the rules are the rules.

The rule is there to prevent people from posting in bad faith purely to farm views.

The very first impression I get from this new person is that they're posting in good faith, and they came to the Sandcastle to ask for advice which is much better than them just starting a thread and dumping an LP in there.

So yes, you are being a bit of a dick by assuming they're here in bad faith and trying to rules-lawyer them.

Now, I'm absolutely not convinced that catgame's format of writing their own story around a game would work on these forums, because LPs here are mostly about showing off the game itself and this format almost turns it into an original game of sorts, but that's another matter entirely that has nothing to do with the specific rules.

If this was a regular LP and catgame's indeed willing to remake it post by post for SA, I'd say :justpost:. As it is with the fan story setup, I'm in doubt and I'd like to see some more opinions, from other posters and/or mods.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oheao posted:

Is there a SA LP Discord server?

Yes, the link is in the OP.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I've seen both LPs and movies where normally the subtitles are at the bottom, but if, in a game, an interface pops up in the bottom, or in the movie, there's something important in the bottom quarter of the screen, they move the subtitles to the top of the screen for a couple seconds. If you use this technique sparingly and don't go jumping back and forth all the time it won't be too annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

CirclMastr posted:

I know next to nothing about the entire series. I haven't played them.

Same for me. And this LP might be an interesting way for me to find out about it.

But with this OP I'm not convinced. Why? Because I often decide whether I want to follow an LP based on whether I like the type of game. So, please add to the OP some general information you can tell us about this game, such as what genre is it and how does this game stand out compared to other games in this genre? What convinced you to LP this series, if you don't know much about the game yet? Any other general stuff you do know about the games?

Also, this is much less important, but in case you know: when was this Director's Cut edition released and what did it change?