Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I just wonder if it will be a moderation nightmare?

I gonna say, not really? Based on the two goon servers I'm on, everybody is pretty chill; so I assume it'd be no different for LP goons.

Edit: I also like the idea cause I'm a lonely LPer that ain't got no LP group to call home.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

RE: Reading text

From what I've been told on other forums, there are people who enjoy being read to. Biggest reason I've heard is, "...because I'm not actually watching the video and just listening while I work on stuff." Which I don't really like to hear because I like to put more effort in the visual aspect of lping than the audio end of things.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Sazero posted:

Stretched

Let's not get our dicks stretched out over here about how a n64 game looks.

Dicks might not be getting stretched, but everything about this girl sure is.

Don't bother with widescreen hacks. Most of the time, they never stretch the UI properly so you end up with circles that look like ovals.

Also why the gently caress do you want to stretch this poo poo to 16:9? What do you got against black borders? You're just gonna end up with a big rear end file and an ugly rear end video.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 12, 2017

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I did an almost no commentary LP of Ephemerid for the ART Games thread awhile back. The only 'commentary' was a few subtitles at the beginning where I describe what the game was about, and that seemed to fly just fine. (Granted, the main focus of the game was its music. So make of that what you will.)

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

After watching(/reading?) a subtitled LP I had a random thought: are subtitles better at the bottom of the screen, or at the top?

Trick question, the real answer is the whole frame: :rms:

But for real though, the bottom half of the frame (Somewhere between the bottom and center) works out fine in a lot of cases.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Spikeguy posted:

Hey guys I recently started a new channel after years of wanting to try to get into it.

It's called The Tired Dad Plays

Alright so, I gave your Mass Effect video a listen and less than 10 minutes in I'm about ready to fall asleep. I get you're the 'Tired Dad', but that doesn't mean your audience has to be apart of the tiredness too.

Biggest problem I heard is that your volume is WAY too low compared to the game's volume. Not saying you should speak up, although that would help, but you need to do a better job balancing those levels. Record your commentary separately with Audacity or something and boost it in post. As it sounds now, your video might as well be an ASMR video.

Next problem is the commentary itself. The 10 minutes I gave you to hook me onto your playthrough was spent listening to following:

quote:

-Your reason for lping
-Your reasoning for picking FemShep and her skin color (This is fine commentary-wise.)
-You repeating your reason for lping
-Some reactions to what the characters were saying. Which you might have thought was funny but really, it makes you sound weird because you're talking to the screen. Not saying you can't pull this kind of stuff off, but given your 'Tired Dad' branding it's not gonna fly since you would have to put some energy in your responses. So cut it out.

Just FYI, no one and I mean NO ONE is interested in listening to your reasons for starting an LP channel. People come to the video looking to be entertained, not to listen to your life's story.

The easiest fix to this problem would be to do post-commentary instead of live, but given your situation you're not really in a position to do that; so the next best thing is to actually be funny and/or actually have something interesting to say. Examples include, explaining what Renegade points are. Also learn to hold back on the funny quips during cutscenes. Seriously, you talk over everyone to say something. On that note, not talking during cutscenes would be a good idea, because nothing is more annoying than trying to listen to a character speaking while the LPer is making what amounts to white noise on top.

I could go on with this, but I would have to sit through more of your video. So instead I'll just say if there's anything you should take away from this post, it would be to go check out some of the threads on this subforum to get a better idea of the kind of stuff we like to see. (Hell, some test posts in this very thread would do.) If anything you might figure out a better LPing style than the tired Youtube LP Superstar style with a tired guy twist.

Also pro-tip, 'The Tired Dad Plays' is a terrible name/brand for an LP channel. Think of something else.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 24, 2017

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

LawlessPlay posted:

Hoping to get some advice/feedback on how I'm doing. I'm working on making an outro/intro for my next lp's but they're not in this one.

Either do some noise removal, speak up so you don't have to boost your audio by a poo poo ton in post, or turn up the gain on your mic itself before you record your commentary, because I'm hearing a lot of white noise. And that white noise mostly comes from boosting your audio in post by a huge amount. (Or if you use Windows' 'microphone boost' option) Either way it makes your overall output sound gross and distracting. Go to the Tech Fort for some guides to get an idea on how to process your audio.

Next problem I have is your commentary. So, I only managed to listen to you for around 3 minutes before I couldn't take much more. I'll be honest, your commentary is boring. Most of what you said was short reactionary phases like: "Oh poo poo! [...]", "Oh god! [...]", "What's happening?" Like, do you have nothing better to say? I get there is an appeal to blind LPing, but for god's sake your commentary has to really sell it to the viewer if you want them to keep watching! For example, if you were doing this game blind you could have analyzed what was happening on screen in relation to the player character. And I don't mean watching something happen and going, "Wow, that's messed up." I mean really lean in on the armchair psychiatric angle and really dig into what this imagery represents. You might be wrong and off-base, but at least you have something interesting to say instead of, "Oh poo poo! A thing happened!"

Really, I think you could benefit from sampling some other people's work on this subforum. You might learn something, and maybe you'll have a better idea of what you want to do with the LP genre than what you've got going on right now. I believe in you.

Also, I really hope you didn't drop ten bucks just so you could pimp your youtube channel, because you could have done that for free on r/letsplay.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 28, 2017

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

LawlessPlay posted:

Yeah, I think I agree with you. I'm trying to avoid dead air but it just isn't worth it. Once my current lp's are done I think I'll attempt a game with more strategy involved. That way the conversation might flow more naturally when talking about plans and what not. I would love to do Divinity Original Sins 2 when it comes out but that would take some COMMITMENT. If I planned to finish it. I'll figure it out :) thanks for the tip.

Having dead air isn't really a bad thing, in fact, you can sometimes use dead air to your benefit. For example I make it a personal rule to never talk over what I deem to be 'important set pieces'. This could range anywhere from cutscenes (both speaking and text-only), specific audible cues like a shift in soundtrack to indicate something is happening, and even whole boss fights. I do this to allow the game to speak for itself rather than me speak for it. (Also because sometimes I'm not in the mood to have to think of something to say.)

If you're having trouble finding things to say, it might help to take some time to get to know the game you're playing before you decide to record it. It becomes less of a juggle when you know what you're doing as oppose to figuring out both the game and your commentary.

It really isn't going to do you any good to chase after those Day One LPs, especially when you're starting out; because while it might seem like a good idea to play the SEO game in the short term you're ultimately just going to end up with a subpar result and nothing to really show for it. Trust me, you don't wanna end up like the sad sacks over at r/letsplay who keep chanting "Why am I not growing an audience!?" Like I said, you're better off in the long term to LP something you're familiar with and have strong feelings for, because the quality of your commentary will definitely improve when you know what you're going to say and how to say it.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Got a test video for a Iconoclasts LP I wanna do and I've been fussin with audio since yesterday. So mostly standard stuff like, does this look and sound alright?

https://youtu.be/cQmkKZOFmAo

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Tuxedo Ted posted:

This was from a while back and it looks like you took the video down, but I thought about this game earlier and wondered whatever came of this test post. If you do get around to LPing it, I'd love to watch it.

Oh yeah, I deleted it and fixed the desync issue. I'm still doing the LP, but I'm attempting to 'get my poo poo together' and have a backlog of videos at the ready instead spending a month and a half between updates and letting the thread slowly die because I keep dragging my feet. I've just finished splicing together the second video, so it's gonna be a good while before I pull the trigger on the thread.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 1, 2018

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Aside of OBS, there is the now free-forever Hypercam2, but I've had bad luck with it finalizing long recordings. There's also the ghetto option which is recording with Virtualdub, but that can lead to some issues and a really bad time. Personally I use Dxtory, but it hasn't been updated since 2017 and it breaks on Windows 10 ver. 1803 so that's out. Honestly, your best bet is taking the time to tweak OBS just right to get what you need from it.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 21, 2018

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Leal posted:

This is why you should LP:

Its fun
You want to show off a game you like
You want to talk about a cool game with other like minded people

I'll add to that list with 'You want to learn how to do basic and/or cool poo poo in video production, photoshop, audio production, etc.' Cause that's been my main driving factor to making LPs for the last five or so years.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Polsy posted:

I can't believe Namtab would disavow his 2.5 LPs

A later DNA test showed they weren't his.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I regret thinking recording commentary in a padded walk-in closet for four years was a good idea. :(

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

There's something off about your video. At first I thought it just the game's motion blur but after confirming with another playthrough I'm almost certain there's some ghosting going on. Either that or your camera movement is more sporadic; regardless I would recommend turning off motion blur.

NigelThornberry posted:

Sure I am interested in highly specific feedback (i.e. not a "redo it cuse I dont like it") but in the end its still a couple of opinions on the internet . I prefer to do things one way and I really like it that way, you disagree and that's cool. I find 95% of LPs "unwatchable" but I don't put them down for it because that's just my opinion and a lot of things that I find "unwatchable" have literally millions of views.

What about this: Why is this video only 10 minutes long? Beyond the intro, which is half the video, you do gently caress all for the reminder. It's 2019, you are not restricted to a 10 minute limit; not to mention it just cuts at the end. Like, I could understand this decision if this was a tightly edited video where you go from point A to point B and accomplish X, Y, and Z, but you didn't get anything done.

Lastly about that commentary, it's boring and painfully unfunny. Neither your co-host or you had anything interesting to say outside a little movie trivia and the rest of the time was ya'll attempting silly voices. Yeah I know, it's my opinion and you're welcome to disregard it and post the thread anyway, but then why did you post in this thread? You already know how write up an OP, and your video is technically passable.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I have a test post for an LP of Sushi Strikers The Way of the Sushido (It's incomplete but I figured there's enough there to get an opinion), and I could really use some feedback because I've never done anything in an SSLP style before and my only context for this kind of thing is a few test posts itt and some threads I skimmed.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 17, 2019

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

berryjon posted:

It looks good, but I'm not sold on the character icons you're using. Yes, I can see that you're using them to help emphasize the expressiveness of the characters, but they seem to be too big to me. Is there any way you can trim them down a bit?

I'll see what I can do, though I don't know what more I can do besides resizing them more or ditching the bodies and just have talking heads.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Personally I'd rather keep the New LPs thread as its own thing, because it would suck big time to come post an new LP and someone comes in after wanting to discuss something like 'which commentary style should I use' for a page and half.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I bought Vegas 15 during the last Humble Bundle, I will be using it to edit my next LP over the weekend. Should I start crying before or after I attempt it?

During, soak your LP in tears for a personal touch.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

-Volgarr the Viking 4-1, mostly for the animated intro for the boss 'Fluffy' and the masterful crub-stomping I gave em.

-Luckslinger #13, there was a track on the OST I really liked and wanted to use it to make an intro for the final episode; heck even the developers of the game liked it.

-Momodora IV #3, I just like the Pardoner fight.

-Brave Fencer Musashi #10-2, The toy videos were fun as I wanted to come up with a way to streamline showing off the toys without having to back out to the menu and all that. Also I like the intro.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

quote:

I'm most likely finished posting on the forums. I want to keep the account because some funny people and interesting poo poo has come from that website, but jesus christ is it full of a bunch of christian mother mentality snobs enforcing their stupid loving rules that I don't give a flying gently caress about.

From what I saw from the Onimusha video he posted above, I would think he would come up with something better than "christian mother mentality snobs". Like for real what is that weak rear end poo poo.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 10, 2020

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

OhFunny posted:

I understand a lot of images were lost when Waffleimages went under. I'm more concerned with the loss of videos that were hosted on Youtube and elsewhere.

For example GMArcturus' more recent LPs of KOTOR1&2 and the entire Kingdom Hearts series that were uploaded to Youtube:

Gone and there's nothing LPArchive can do sadly. I'd like to know if I'm suppose to email Baldurk about this and he'll remove them from LPArchive or if lost VLPs are simply kept on the Master List.

FractalSandwich posted:

It does usually tell you which of those it is, though. There's supposed to be different error messages for "deleted by the user", "deleted for violating the ToS" and "deleted because the account was banned". If it's really just saying "video unavailable", that's a little odd.

Well, it's a pretty safe bet that the channel was deleted in this specific case. I can't remember the specifics but Arcturus did delete their whole channel a while back. As someone who guested in some of those videos, trust me, you ain't missing much.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

It is also very possible that they no longer have any interest in SA or forums in general.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Is there a keyword of phrase to describe a Let's Play where the player:

1. Provides informative commentary about the game, mechanics, production history, lore, etc.
2. Plays the game effectively, like, they know the game so they won't spend 20 minutes of a video just circling back and forth between two rooms trying to solve a puzzle.

???

I'm thinking something like ThreeDoggs great Metal Gear Solid runs.

Searching youtube yields blind runs with goofy commentary or effective play with no commentary.

Specifically, I'm trying to find something for Resident Evil 7.

Walkthroughs come to mind, but like most things, Youtubers more or less use it as a catch-all term for 'here's some unedited footage of me playing a game' nowadays.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Mix. posted:

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for how long you should pause on a dialogue section before moving to the next one when it comes to a video LP of a VN/RPG Maker/Etc type game?

I tend to read it in my head twice and then count to three before advancing the next text box. If it's like only a short single line than I only read it once and than count to three.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I will admit the quality in the animation department is leagues better than what we got at release but that's not saying much. I'm still willing to bet the combat will still be fundamentally terrible seeing as the best they could do for patch 1.25 was a weakness system being stapled on top of the current fighting system.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 14, 2022

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Nidoking posted:

And let's not forget that the entire game was itself originally an enraged statement of hubris. "WHY DON'T THE TASTELESS PLEBS LIKE MY LAST HORRIBLY BUGGY VIDEO GAME?"

The major game crashing bugs will probably still exist in this new patch too.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

So I've only watch a little bit and a couple things stand out to me.

The whole intro bit where you sat on the main menu and rambled about coming across the game, who made it, etc. is too long and boring to sit through. I suggest you do a post-recording where you script out a concise intro played to some random B-roll of the game. That way I'm not sitting through every single 'umm' and 'uhh'. and have something watch on top of that.

Second, your audio mixing is really bad. the game audio is overpowering you in the intro crawl and I can't hear you stumble through reading the text on the screen. Turn the game audio down and boost your audio.

Lastly while I can only speak for myself, I really don't need to see a view of your face hamming it up in the corner of the video. At the very least invest in a green screen to minimize the amount of the game screen you're covering up. It could even be as simple as getting a blanket with a contrasting color from what you're wearing and keying that out.

I don't know, lost interest pretty quick and this needs more work.

Edit: I realized I self-owned myself for not reading your post and that you just wanted know if you were youtube dumping or not.

I will say though, take a look at other threads and see how they format their threads.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 27, 2022

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Please don't sticky my threads. I worked so hard to keep them clean and unsticky.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

This could use an update.

I didn't have a save before Chirstmas so I tried to force the cutscene with third-party tools and ended up with this mess the first try.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Leal posted:

Why is there a one wing angel alpaca

Short answer: It's the Golden Alpaca redesign for 1.25
Long answer would require I get into the YIIK novel-thing you got for buying the 1.25 soundtrack, and I haven't read it in a few months; but I'm pretty sure it involves a version of Alex watching a movie with Vella. Said movie was directed by some Japanese auteur who will be featured in the new I.V. update.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 26, 2022

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Danaru posted:

Why, god why, is that game receiving content updates

Believe it or not, this game gained a cult following recently. From what I've read from the community, there's a lot emphasis on 'cult'.

I've heard that the updates are fans encouraging the brothers to continue supporting the game; and I've also heard that this new update is a bunch of ideas they had for a sequel. Which the idea of a YIIK 2: A Even More Postmodern RPG confuses me, because if I understand the intented story right, which I hardly do, there wouldn't be room for such a thing.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Has the Third Ending to YiiK been found yet, as a matter of trivia? Or is it still vaporware and/or fanfiction?

Yes and no, the details as to why is a messy can of worms that I am dreading to tackle for the IV LP.

To put it simply, the ending scene itself was found real early on; and everyone just 'misinterpreted' it as something else. Turns out, that "cut ending" I recorded was the third ending. As to WHAT a normal-rear end player is suppose to do to get to that scene within the game's rules, uhhh I have no idea. This is what makes the conversation about the third ending loving messy. The HOW to get there. As those following Grandmaparty's thread remember, ACKK was trying to lead players to it with clues and poo poo. Though a number of them either don't go anywhere like the Dick Masterson NPC or are too obtuse for anyone to truly figure out, like the Dick Masterson NPC.

I've spent the better half of April this year trying to pin down whether or not a path to the third ending is even there within the different builds of the game. (Yes I have pretty much every build of the game. Thank god for Steam Depots.) So far, version 1.25 has the triggers to get to the final dungeon, a repurposed cut tutorial, and the triggers to get to the final fight; BUT beyond forcing them with third-party tools, I have no idea how you get to that point. Decompiling the code doesn't help too much as my programming literacy isn't good enough to weave through it, but I've seen some bits and pieces of it. Fun fact, that Dick Masterson npc is very unique in that its nametag and dialogue are encrypted with a cipher. I only found that out after finding a function containing the decrypted and encrypted alphabets and started loving with them thus breaking the NPC completely.

You might be wondering about the third ending video that got uploaded to youtube. Well... that's another novel-size post in itself. Basically the community sees it as part of third ending, dubbed by the community as "The Frankton ending"; but you can only access that ending in the 1.25 build which was made public long after the video dropped on youtube.

There's a gently caress ton more to this whole thing, but I'll leave it for when I have compile it into a video for the LP, but for the most part I have trouble buying that this was intended from the start. Too many little things point to that ending scene being the original ending and the brothers were pivoting to say that was the third ending just to make it look like they weren't incompetent. (well it's really Andrew saying all this, I don't think Brain is to blame really)

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 1, 2023

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Make no mistake, the brothers are trying their darnest to salvage this game to at least be less painful to play. It's just a really weird narrative the devs and their fans "friends" want to push to prop the game up I guess.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 27, 2022

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Alternatively, you can hope someone who really really liked your LP had made a private archive of the LP.

Not exactly the first time something like that happened.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Just from a few minutes of watching, I think you should bring your narration volume up and bring the game's audio down a bit. The game is drowning you out especially when there's music. Also if there's audio settings that would let you lower the volume of the music, that might help as well.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 29, 2023

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

This is definitely a significant improvement.

I downloaded the latest version of Camtasia to see if auto-ducking was possible, and it's kinda is by inserting splits in the footage and using "edit audio"; but it's really janky and would produce undesirable side-effects. I won't tell you to use something else; but for 300 dollars, Camtasia seems like a all-around bad deal to me compared to other free options out there these days.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

SimonChris posted:

Does DaVinci do that audio ducking thing people were talking about?

It can though the interface might be a bit much to look at at first blush. It's also not a 'one-button' solution but this tutorial seems easy enough to follow along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtqcJrA4AdU

DaVinci also has free learning material on their website which includes exercises to help you get familiarize with it's various workspaces. (There's also a ton of tutorials on youtube that can walk you through whatever it is you want to do.)

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 30, 2023