Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

baldurk posted:

This is the 8th sandcastle type thread, for those keeping track.

Oh god! people used to reserve LPs? It was heavily discouraged to have an LP of a game that already had an LP? It's interesting to see the historical origins of some of the worse sentiments that can be found in this subforum. I'm still unsure as to what the reasoning for that was. I guess on SA the LP screamed "FIRST!" not the commenter. Now we have a guideline that tells people to not be dicks about the nth LP of a game. It's great to see how far we've come.

This is the Let's Play Sandcastle, in here we talk about the Let's Play Sandcastles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I mean, even if he isn't, just letting people know that your video may contain spiders shouldn't be too much trouble unless typing or speaking a couple more words will literally kill you, in that case please be safe.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 2, 2016

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Do we have an SALP Discord server? Because I'd like to just have a general hangout that isn't IRC (I can't take people who still use IRC seriously, sorry).
I'd be willing to make one if there isn't one unless people hate the idea horribly for some reason.

EDIT: Yeah, you may know me as someone shilling Discord everywhere.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

JamieTheD posted:

Bam.

SALT (Something Awful Let'sPlay Talk) has been created. You're welcome. Obviously, sensible folks who wanna be a mod, lemme know.

(I just couldn't resist keeping that as the acronym, tbqh :v: )

Maybe one of you sweet mods should add this to the op!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Fedule posted:

Some news that might be some small relief to anyone who's had a video blocked in Germany, maybe:

YouTube's seven year stand-off ends (BBC)

I can't wait until it turns out this comes with some kind of ridiculous caveat. Like the videos in question will only be playable in Germany and nowhere else.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I had a thought. How practical/unrealistic would it be to LP a Wiiu game where you capture the TV screen and the gamepad, and load them as two videos that need to be watched at the same time? The viewer could either watch them in windowed mode or if they have two monitors, one on each. (I really dislike PIP.)

I wouldn't watch it, honestly. The best way to go about it is probably to just edit the gamepad in whenever it gets relevant.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So if a thread that hasn't been posted to in a couple months on page 10-15ish is "locked for archiving", can a mod be asked to unlock it, or is it too late?

Yeah, it's too late. What people tend to do in such cases is just to start a new thread with all the existing updates in it.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I'm already busy with a big project thing I'm doing here but since I played Celeste and loved it so much I can't not LP it sooner or later.

Here's a test video featuring the Prologue and Chapter 1

Some feedback would be appreciated.

Especially in regards to the playstyle. I use advanced movement mechanics occasionally, more out of habit than consciously (Though, the part at the start of the first proper level was intentional), which I'm afraid might be distracting or hard to follow for some people (though, I do plan on explaining part of the stuff I use as soon as the second Episode to alleviate that, I just felt it would be flow breaking to do it in the first episode.).

If there's any other input regarding my commentary, the video's structure or other miscellaneous things that catch your attention that is also appreciated.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Fedule posted:

I don't know what your process for game audio is but something is wrong with it. It's barely noticeable most of the time but it's distorted the hell out of the BGM in the room with the cassette tape. I have no idea what would cause that.

Are you sure? To be safe I recorded some footage of the PC version. Recorded via completely different means.It sounds pretty much the same to me
The first bit of footage is from the test video (PS4 version) and after the hard cut it's the PC version.

Can anyone else hear anything off about the game audio? Because to me it just sounds how the game sounds.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Fedule posted:

The PC cut sounds fine to me. The problem seems to only be in the PS4 recording.

Here's the OST version.

Sorry I'm not hearing it. What is it exactly that you think sounds distorted about it? Because I'm thinking we both use different definitions of the word (though, I'm not hearing anything that's different in general aside from the difference in volume). Is there clipping I'm not hearing? A buzz or a hum? Is it the pitch somehow?

If there's a problem I'd love to fix it but it's hard to do that when I don't even know what's wrong.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

All right. Thanks to folks here and on the the Discord I know something is off.

Since I have to redo the entire video anyway I'd be interested if there's anything else about the video that needs changing.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

It's not so much that I wanna show off my sick skillz but what you can do in the game. I already recorded yesterday. What I did was to play through the level more or less normally and afterwards I recorded a speedrun of the level. I'll likely only do this for the first level.

From the second chapter onwards I will continue as originally intended. Which was to play through the game but start explaining nuances of mechanics. In this case climbing.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Dolash posted:

I don't know if post-mortems are appropriate for the Sandcastle, but my Legacy of Dragonholt LP ended up attracting very little interest after I posted it, to the point that I couldn't get six character ideas for a party - in my experience, any LP that opens with "hey submit a character!" usually has no problem at least getting that far, so I feel like I must've failed somewhere here.

I've gone ahead and closed the thread, since the format I chose was heavily dependent on audience participation even beyond picking the party, but if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. Maybe I buried the lede on audience participation, or I threw too much text at the readers up-front, I'm not sure. Here's the thread.

The thread wasn't even six hours old, man. You gotta give it some time, especially now that there's probably some weirdos who are visiting people for easter.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I do a thing in this subforum that has zero relation to an LP. I'm not even playing a game, no one is. We're just watching AI characters based on ideas from posters battle it out in a wrestling show. No one's complained about that so I think circl is fine to do what they do.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

As far as YT's recommendation algorithm goes I think dislikes have the same effect on your visibility as likes. So it's good to have people who hate you with such a passion that they dislike all your videos.

One time I had a guy who hated my voice so much that he disliked all the videos of the LP I was doing at the time. That was such a good time.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Jamesman posted:

I hope this is OK and that this is the appropriate thread to ask.

-What kinda things do you donate to Patreon for?
-What kinda things would encourage you to donate to a Patreon?
-If you have a Patreon of your own (no shilling), what kinda things do you offer?

-What kinda things do you donate to Patreon for?
Mainly, I support creators / projects I like.

-What kinda things would encourage you to donate to a Patreon?
Not gating content to patrons, early access is fine, though. On the lower tiers community perks are preferred. Small things like special roles in a community discord or whatever, being part of votes on various things.
What I don't like is stuff like having my name at the end of a video or getting a verbal shoutout or w/e. If you offer those make sure people can opt-out of that.

-If you have a Patreon of your own (no shilling), what kinda things do you offer?
My Patreon that I made but never launched has a 6.66 $ tier that makes patrons pledge their souls to me (in addition to the money).

(note: it says published today because I weeded out some inconsistensies, which doesn't matter, because it's not live anyway)

Like, really, feel free to steal all my ideas. It's probably the best Patreon ever, and i'm only not launching it because I'm afraid of the responsibility that comes with everyone in the world owing me money (+ sometimes souls)

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

How long until a thread is archived again? I don't want my Celeste LP to disappear before it's archived.

Or are archives still broken and the thread will merely be locked after a few months and I don't have to do anything?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Rappaport posted:

Just on the safe side, you do know that the LP archive is separate from the SA forum archiving function, right?

Yes, poor choice of words. Meant to ask how long SA takes until it archives a thread to the SA archive because I don't want my LP to be absorbed into it before it's LP Archived.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Does archive lock prevent a thread from being able to be LP archived, though? Because I don't care if it's locked even if I can't undo it as long as it can still be LP archived.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I suddenly don't feel so weird anymore about running a wrestling promotion and pretending it's an LP.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

You can technically use twitch for video hosting now.

It's not much of a platform for discovering stuff in that sense but maybe that's for the better.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Doesn't matter what game you LP, there's always someone who knows better, no matter how little you care. It's great when your updates are recorded way in advance, maybe even the entire LP is and they try to "help".

Love it.

My favorite has to be someone trying to tell me how to play a game I didn't even play, I just watched AIs fight. The person was so embarrassed when I told them that they deleted their comment.

For real, if you have a problem with that, because I think it's annoying, when I see it in other threads or my own, just ask people not to backseat. It might reduce backseating like this by... say... 10%. Better than nothing.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Mega64 posted:

There should be a spooky LP contest, or really any LP contest.

I think there were some contests last year. Not for Halloween specifically. And then there was a second contest no one knew about because I don't think it was advertised anywhere and I don't actually read through the thread list. Haha, who does that!

But yeah, a spooky game LP contest might be fun. Though, I can't guarantee that I'd take part in it. Only few games I actually like qualify as spooky.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

(And in case you need to do something to the thread, you can ask a mod to pull it out of the forum archives.)
Correct me if I'm wrong but last I heard this was super impossible.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

We already have a few guidelines to make baldurk's job a little easier. Though, if I can make it easier still by taking off a bit of the load and spend some time on that versus baldurk having to do that times however many archive requests there are at any giving time then I'll happily do that.

baldurk posted:

Money isn't the issue, I can keep the server running at least for the foreseeable future if not indefinitely. It's more about my time as a bottleneck, and if I can put more strict requirements on authors submitting LPs for archive then that helps.

Some of us being willing to support you in running the archive isn't necessarily about just covering your costs but more about just giving back a little. Just archiving these LPs, even the bad ones, has more value than most people might think. And you do it all, essentially, for fun.

I got into LPing some time in 2009 or so because of the archive and I found many hours of entertainment just by browsing the place and got inspired to make my own. Getting an SA account was out of the question at the time because I wouldn't get a credit card just for that so having a place where I can essentially read LPs without having to sign up or be paywalled was the best.
Whether you want that or not is up to you but based on some peoples responses I'd wager there's more than just one person willing to throw in a buck or two.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

The only reason I'm still here is because SA outgrew "The Old Ways (tm)" and most of the proto-goons mellowed out.

While I wouldn't call everything that happens on this subforum a Let's Play (including some stuff I do myself) it's like whatever, follow your heart. I got shat on here years ago for daring to ask for feedback on a later episode of an LP I started before joining the forums. I believe I made clear that I didn't want to post the LP, just asked for feedback to improve future videos and LPs.

About a year later I started an LP that already had a few episodes released (due to the archaic 3, or was it 2 month rule at the time? I understand the reason this rule existed but it works better as a guideline, if anything). Didn't even ask a mod, just asked in the sandcastle. Most people were okay with it.

I'm glad that we no longer enforce outdated, defunct or ill-advised rules that have been changed long since to be more reasonable or removed entirely. What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that SA, especially SALP is now much better than back when I joined. And even then it was much better than when it started, y'know, when there was this firm belief that there could only ever be one LP of any given game, even if it sucked complete rear end. Like a lot of LPs back then did. Not even in the "aged poorly from a technical standpoint" sense. Just go back in time and on the archive and see for yourself.

By the by, this rule is another one I had to contend with even though it was defunct when I started an LP of a game that already had a respected LP on the archives. The reaction in parts was kind of "I don't think we need another LP of this game but this looks good"

Anyway, as much as I can criticize it for reasons unrelated to the rules, the current :justpost: mentality is miles better than how it used to be.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm pretty sure anything can be LPed well as long as you put some effort into it.

This is something you hear a lot around these parts and I don't want to do too much of a pisstake on ~goon culture~ here but what "putting effort into it" means around these parts is basically just to have decent audio and video and don't start your video with "Hey Youtube".

This vague notion of "putting some effort into it" is at this point completely meaningless because the bar is so low. And believe it or not, that's a good thing (coming from someone who's either done long taxing projects or short and involved ones that both require "some effort"). Because you don't scare people who just want to try out the hobby away with stupid nerd gatekeeping. Because let's face it, that's basically what used to be common practice here when people told newbies to :lurkmore: or to :frogout:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

When I hear Japanese wrestling game I'm thinking of that story mode Suda51 wrote for some old Fire Pro Game (by the way, he's gonna write one for the latest Fire Pro game too) on the SNES, but that came on a cartridge, not on a disc so I'm not entirely sure. What it could be.

But yeah, not only does the extent of the story matter but also how it's told. If storytelling and gameplay are completely separated it might pay to go for a hybrid format and offer translations or explanations of what's happening in SSLP bits while actually showing the gameplay in videos. Whether those have voiceovers or not doesn't matter to me here.

Or if you literally mean "I'll play a japanese wrestling game for fun and make an LP of it" I guess you don't need to bother with all of the above. Whether the text on screen is japanese or not doesn't really have much of an effect on anything if there's no story focus.

I have no idea how LPs of wrestling games have been handled in the past, the attempts I've seen were all very short lived.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thanks for the history lesson, that was pretty interesting.

My impression is that the forums in general are a very different place from what they were when LP first became a thing. Maybe it's just the specific subforums I stick to though.

Yeah. I mean, we didn't join too long apart really, around at the same time of SAs lifespan. So the SA we know as active members is probably the same. I'm gonna assume that we all knew of SA before we joined, otherwise we wouldn't have joined. In my case I knew of SA for a very long time before I joined (first heard of it in 2003-2004-ish, maybe? Hard to get a timeline for me this early). It's kinda weird since I'm from Germany and "grew up" in the German speaking part of the internet. And yet, in German forums, there'd still be compilation threads for funny stuff linking to SA with the big fat warning of "English only". Some people even translated what they thought of as highlights for people who didn't know English to enjoy. So when people say SA was influential in the earlier days of the internet as we know it, this actually transcends the English bubble.

Now, looking into SA from the outside from the earlier years it seemed very clique-y. The "lurk moar" kinda place with a lot of in-jokes that make no sense to you and they got a reputation for being kinda dicks and having an elitist attitude. Let's not forget that there was a subforum dedicated to doxxing people here at one point. So I never thought I'd join it. And for a very long time I did not. Partially because I didn't like the 'tude, partially because SA only takes the archaic payment method of "credit cards"

What changed my mind on this was the LP archive I first noticed around 2007-2008. So you could say I was part of that unexpectedly high traffic slowbeef mentioned in his quite exhaustive and also interesting post. Though, I didn't join myself until many many years later. And some of this ~goon culture~ that I feared so much was still alive, but it wasn't that bad. You still had jerks calling LP a pseudohobby and stuff and some subforums were better than others.

Now I'd say its mostly mellowed out and is one of the better place on the internet to be. Especially if you can't let go of ye olde time forums.

tl;dr: SA was conceived in very early days of the internet as we know it now and much like the internet changed, the site itself changed with it. Or perhaps it was the other way around. Probably a mix of both.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 3, 2019

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I LP for the money and pussy.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I think this means you win.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Don't ever let anyone convince you to use avisynth short of being a free alternative of software with a GUI.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Yeh, telling people that they don't need a thread in a forum because there's an RSS feed is a weird thing to say in 2019.

I'd personally be in favor of rolling the Sandcastle, requests and Tech Support into one thread. Sandcastle and Tech Support kinda have a lot of crossover anyway and I'd hate asking for feedback here only to be told that I should go to another thread to fix one specific thing not that this happens a lot or anything, but the point stands. It's not like any of those threads are extremely active either.

Leaving New LPs separate is an obvious, thing. It's great for people to have a place to advertise their stuff but I'd hate to have that place be used for other discussions too. It'd bury some stuff and deter me from using it to shill my stuff at all.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

15 works perfectly for me tbh. Better than 13 or 14 ever did. Much smoother and stable than even premiere was for me. Easy to use too. There's still some features I'd like (Sequences, star wipe, etc.) but overall I'm pretty happy with it so far. I haven't put it through any big LP projects yet but so far it works better.

Might just be that my computer is somehow the exact best setup by coincidence I dunno.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

For me it's probably the C-Side video of my Celeste LP because those are some of my favorite levels to play and watch. That's the entire reason.

E: Just rewatched it and yeah. It makes me want to play the game again.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 31, 2019

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Replace every song with Superman by Goldfinger.

Like, unironically.

I never played that particular game, though, so I can't really say how much the game does or does not benefit from its Soundtrack. Generally, if it can't be kept due to copyright ID stuff, I'd prefer some kind of replacement.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

At last, 11 years after it was created, we finally have as a usable thread tag in LP. Have fun, people.

Can we also have the only objectively good tag on SA based on the objectively best tweet of all time here, please?

Not trying to make demands but it feels kind of important to have a Rowdy Ringsports in-joke here

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Update: the sacrifice was successful. We have the twitter thread tag.

We even got it twice!

Oh my god crow, you're the best! <3

Can you give it to my thread please?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

my dad posted:

To be fair, because of Radium's coding, you have perform a complex blood magic ritual every time you want to change anything on Something Awful without opening a portal to hell.

You can't go to hell if you're already there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Leal posted:

I've been slowboating resizing images to be archived, is there a faster way to check the dimensions of images that isn't me manually going to each one and checking the details? Also for the archive you only have to worry about not going past 900 wide, but height doesn't have a limit, right?

Yes, 900 px with is the only limitation. You should also try to keep the filesize reasonable, of course.

You shouldn't really worry about checking the dimensions of each image. Just run them all through a batch resize in IrfanView. In the advanced settings, you can check "Don't enlarge smaller images" that way everything larger than 900 px wide will be scaled down, everything smaller will be left as is. Also, don't forget to turn off resampling for pixely games.