Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

So I want to try my hand at an LP, and I made a test post for the OP and first update. Could I get some feedback before I make the thread?

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158237
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158236

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

I don't see any major issues with it. You've used quite a few gifs in that first update, so I'm not sure what that will do for people on mobile or using data plans. Then again, I haven't see a lot of gif usage in the LP's I've read, so I don't know if there's any kind of taboo against their overuse.

From what I see, I think you're good to just post.

I do try to keep my gifs within lpix's size limit, at least.

TeeQueue posted:

Immediate first thought: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I love this game :allears:

from there...

Look out for weird linebreaks like this one, the line before megalixers is broken up oddly. Beyond that it looks perfectly serviceable.

Thanks!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Thanks everyone, I posted the thread.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

nightelf_37 posted:

A year?! I got a Ruina thread and cosmicPostman to follow and comment on!

Perhaps you should have thought of that before becoming the amputee sex slave hentai pokemon romhack guy.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I can't wait for next year's LP from the new and never seen before user, nightelf_38.

daydwarf_38, you mean.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

The Final(?) Update of the nightelf_37 posting timeline on Something Awful. God willing, they never come back.

You forgot the part where he almost certainly made an alt after he stopped posting, only to out themselves less then a day later by being incredibly loving rude on the EO4 LP.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

He also became briefly GBS Famous for like 20 minutes.

The question now is if he'll try and post on his alt when that one's 24h probe ends and get banned for dodging his main's 30 day probe.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

The initial fuckup was a sight to behold, but it was the "Why are you booing me?" energy of every subsequent post of theirs that made it magical.

I still can't believe he took the advice to abandon his first account and buy a new one, only to oh so conveniently ignore the second half of the advice to :lurkmore: for a few months and let the heat die down, completely defeating the purpose of making an alt.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I will admit, I'm a bit impressed that nightelf has yet to try and post on his alt and eat a ban for probe evasion.

drat near everyone in LP yelling at him to shut the gently caress up, and it turns out all we needed was the threat of an instantaneous ban.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Of my two LPs, MMX Command Mission flip flopped between perfectly fine and utter hell with C2T, as normal text boxes worked fine, but cutscene subtitles loved to go above the black bar and into the scene itself.

Fate/Extra, meanwhile, needed me to mod in a higher quality font for it to work at all. It works 95% of the time afterwords, but it likes to mix up m and n on words with two m's, l's tend to get a space before or after them, and j's occasionally get read as J'. (so Shinji become ShinJ'i)

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I just throw my footage into Virtualdub 2 and just export a selection as a gif. :v:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

Rather than snapping screenshots in-game, I tend to just record everything as a video and then screenshot from that afterwards. That means even if I miss something while playing, I have unlimited second chances to grab it.

Same, but I also like to build up a massive backlog of footage just so I don't have to go back to playing for a while, so there can be a gap of months between when I do a segment and when the LP hits it. If I did screenshots as I go, odds are I would completely forget any comments I had by the time I had to make an update for them.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Eldsluft posted:

I have 10+ updates in stock now and it makes me somehow nervous. like I always wanted to post them earlier than scheduled...how can I rid myself of this feeling?

Look at it this way: At least if anything happens that forces you to stop writing for a while, you already have a backlog on hand so you don't have to stop the thread.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Eldsluft posted:

What if I don't have any friends?

Get an unlimited number of friends through the power of sockpuppet accounts.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Cooked Auto posted:

Are you allowed to cackle gleefully if someone actually pays you though?

No, because then you'll actually have to LP for the internet hordes and their collective 8 IQ.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

TeeQueue posted:

I'm in the middle of my second, how anyone does more than three is beyond me.

Quantity over quality, baby. :kamina:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

OP you are also going to inevitably going to run into the image limit on imgur, you'll face no such problem if you sign up for lpix :eng101:

For comparison, my Fate/Extra LP is currently around...

...7500 images.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

Has the Rightload plugin for LPix been updated to support webps? Because, and admittedly I am using an ancient version of it from back when I first started LPing, but the last few times I've tried to upload a webp, it spat it back out and I had to convert them to jpgs in IrfranView.

Whichever version of Rightload I have works just fine for webps.

Also, webps work perfectly for gifs.

Compare:

The original gif, which is around 5.5 MB, to

The webp, which is 1.8 MB.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Cooked Auto posted:

I'm sensing a growing theme here. :v:

When all threads are stickied, none of them are.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

iirc he posted support for Ukraine on Twitter and that caused a bunch of idiots to dogpile him, but he still started an LP for Parasite Eve.

What broke him was Youtube nuking his whole account due to copyright strikes. Years upon years of videos, gone.

I'd stop doing LPs too.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Cooked Auto posted:

But yeah, if that happened to my YT account I'd probably give up on videos as well.

It wasn't just videos, he covered boss fights, cutscenes, and music. Go flip through Shadow Hearts Covenant and count how many YT links he posted with each update. All of those are now dead.

Even if he did start a new account and reupload everything that was nuked, I can't imagine how much work actually going through each of his 25 LPs and swapping out every link for new ones would be, let alone coordinating with Baldurk to swap the old pages with new ones.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 26, 2022

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I'm doing two at once because I was finishing the first run of Extra and still had two full playthroughs to cover, so I needed something to keep me focused as I did the exact same stuff multiple times.

Just a few more weeks till that's over, thank god.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

Looks pretty good, though I seem to recall a rule of thumb of keeping your images sized to 900 pixels horizontally at the maximum.

That's the size limit for lparchive, if you don't plan on having baldurk put it there you can do whatever you want.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

IIRC he got probed and told to stop being skeevy, and when he came back he found a different horribly skeevy game he wanted to LP so he got banned.

IIRC he did a test post for an AW romhack, which in and of itself wasn't skeevy, but he was rating all the girls on their looks.

He dinged one of the girls, saying their skin was 'a bit dark.'

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Fedule posted:

What in the-

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

TeeQueue posted:

I hereby formally announce something shocking that immediately creates a huge scene. :colbert:

The One Piece is real?????

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Fivemarks posted:

Starsector LP now, or wait till the new patch?

How much is being added, and how much of it will be relevant early on? If the patch will completely mess with the early game experience hold off so you don't have to double back to show everything off, otherwise just make sure you don't go past where the new content will start showing up.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Leal posted:

:justpost: and if no one is interested, there is no penalty for abandoning a thread. Hell, if you don't have a 2 to 1 ratio of abandoned to completed threads what are you even doing with your life?

Not giving up my sweet, sweet 100% completion rate.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

To give a point of reference, all my animated stuff I export as gif and convert to webp in GIMP.

This is the original gif, at 5.61 MB:

And here's the converted webp:

It's 1.79 MB, for not much loss in quality.

Blastinus posted:

Granted, with internet speeds being the way they are, that's less of a problem nowadays.

Yeah but when you're working with a 2 MB limit to keep things in lpix, you have to save space where you can.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Does it count if the lost footage was for an LP I never actually started

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Keep in mind that while LPix just wants less than 2MB, the LP Archive has a cap of 900px wide if you want it archived after you're done.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

The evolution of :justpost:, Just

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I gotta admit, 'renowned LPer turns out to be lying about literally every aspect of his private life and also has a hypeman sockpuppet' was not on my bingo card.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

FeyerbrandX posted:

If he wanted to feed on the drama though, wouldn't he have kept working on the Parasite Eve LP that he dropped when he got diagnosed?

Could be that his channel getting copyright nuked killed his enthusiasm, and figured he might as well double up on the drama.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I didn't even know he was pretending to be military of any kind. The only bit of Dark Id Lore I knew was the dead daughter.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Leal posted:

Three Dark Ids in a trenchcoat

Dark Id, Dark Ego, Dark Superego.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh no I ended up redownloading the game

I was actually considering doing 7SU before I settled on doing VFD, but then I realized just how much loving game is in there and decided not to.

Like seriously you have to clear the game five times just to unlock chaos mode.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Well, uh, ninegearcrow just got banned and seems to have privated their entire youtube channel in response.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 3, 2024

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Kinu Nishimura posted:

my meltdown will actually be if i ever write another lp

Clearly you need to give VFD the Didja Redo treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Kinu Nishimura posted:

ARE YOU HIGH????

It'd make you have a meltdown, wouldn't it?