Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Thank you for taking your time out to reply and address some issues baldurk.

I think that it is more than reasonable to be strict with submissions to make life easier on yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
For a blind LP, is it breaking the rules if a guide is used to consult at any time?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Thank you for the replies. I'll keep the co-pilot in mind, I may have trouble finding someone with experience with this game though. I still have some time to decide on how to approach it. Either way, a guide is never a bad thing.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

When I first started out I was a heavy smoker and I can hear a noticeable wheeze in some of my earlier LPs. Two of my first LP projects were mega threads of a series of games. I don't regret doing them, but if I had known better I wouldn't have done them back to back.

My personal life and mental health took a nose dive a few years ago which resulted in a two year hiatus. I should have taken a break sooner though. My last LP before the break made me realise that I needed to stop. I really should apologise to Bobbin Threadbare, he was courteous enough to agree to co-commentary. But I panicked during the one and only recording and had a panic attack afterwards.

Since I started up again my only regret so far is in not preparing more for it. I've made some rookie mistakes initially but I feel like I'm improving the more I go.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I bought Vegas 15 during the last Humble Bundle, I will be using it to edit my next LP over the weekend. Should I start crying before or after I attempt it?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Sour Gumdrop posted:

During, soak your LP in tears for a personal touch.

This may happen now I've seen the time it takes to render a video...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Sometimes I enjoy doing bonus videos with extra content. One of the favourites that I made was from Sam & Max in The Devil's Playhouse, there was a console only item that was purely cosmetic. Some of the code remained in the PC version and I found out how to gain limited access to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-HjFHGGjPA

Another one of my favourites was a bonus video from Papers, Please. It was my first ever LP and I have so many fond memories of it. I made a tribute video to one of the characters, Jorji: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPk7_mboSlk

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

turol posted:

Dropping the resolution would make for nicer screenshots but would make playing for me less fun and I don't want to do that. The alternative would be to gently caress around with the widescreen patch and associated UI scaling mods which looks like a lot of :effort:. Plus I'd have to redo all the current screenshots...

Doc M, it's your thread. Are you ok with me posting this as it is or should I just scrap it?

If you're making an SSLP then surely the aim is to make the screenshots look nice? I get that you want to enjoy playing the game but you're also doing this for an audience. As much as you will be comfortable reading everything on your 1440p monitor, the screenshots that you're providing are reduced in size and so everything else has shrunk.

You could just post things as is and people can put up with it. I agree with Doc M in dropping the resolution, especially if you're reducing the size of the image anyway. Unless you can find something to fix the UI scaling.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The brightness and darkness levels seem pretty good on my end.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Just do what makes you feel the most comfortable and do what works for you. If commenting on the fly makes you feel more comfortable for you then do it. Does it really matter if it's popular or not? Do it the way you want to do it, you can't predict whether it's going to attain popularity. Some of the most amazing LP's produced on this site have come out of nowhere.

What matters most is that you're doing something you want to do, in a way that you enjoy and you're sharing it with other people. Does it really matter how popular it is? Do it because you want to do it and in a way that makes you happy!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It should escape the compression if the video is 720 plus.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can I request that it be made a forum-wide rule that no LP is allowed to timg their images? I'm seeing too many of 'em do this and it annoys the poo poo out of me. They don't even need to be small, this isn't 56k no modem days anymore!

I'm kinda tempted to see how this would look in the thread without the thumbnails: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910373&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post503993047

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

LP's of mods are fine, they've been done before and a few have even made it into the archive.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I usually encode my 1080p recordings in 8kbps with Vegas, but I've been playing older games. If you're recording in 1080p and 60 frames, guides usually vary but the recommended output varies between 12-15kbps for high-quality encoding.

Google\Youtube have provided a general guide for encoding here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 15, 2020

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm going to see how things pan out over the next few days and continue on as normal until we get some solid news regarding things one way or another. I joined the forums to be a part of the community and I found a home here in this very forum. If an off-shoot is created because of what happens then I will be a part of it. I'm hoping things don't shatter any further than they already have done but I can't see Lowtax backing down from this.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Thank you for the link to the Beach, I registered a short time ago.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Mega64 posted:

I'll vouch for Jeffrey. We both got signed up to mod the GBS reboot, and he was always one of the best mods while I was one. He tried to be fair with everyone and take the time to solve whatever issues came up. There's good reason he was promoted to admin, and he's been doing a lot of work on the backend of these forums recently, adding long-overdue features. I think the forum will be in good hands under him.

That said, I still want to support LP Beach as a place for non-SA posters to do LP's, as it's still nice to have an alternative. I encourage everyone who's considering doing an LP to crosspost both here and there, though of course it's up to you. I know I will for my next LP (sorry Robopon, you're too loving boring to finish).

Edit: I should double check before I post things.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 26, 2020

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Jossar posted:

I'm considering doing a Let's Play for Empire Earth, a RTS that came out in the early 2000s that covers the grand scope of history.

The only problem is that the actual gameplay is... really slow paced. Like upwards of an hour for a single mission of a campaign, possibly two if like me you're a lousy player. An LP where you bore the viewers to tears is a bad LP.

The theoretical solution to this is to have the LP be screenshot based (except maybe for cutscenes), but I kind of worry on the counterpoint that unlike the last LP I did (which was a turn based strategy game), going screenshot kind of drains out most of the gameplay.

How do most people make the decision whether or not to go screenshot or video?

Would it detract from the gameplay if you made some cuts to the footage?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

If you enjoy doing it then don't worry about the analytics. Engagement and reactions to doing it are always nice but it's not why I do it, I just enjoy doing it. I've been concentrating mainly on old adventure games, some of the more obscure ones have gone through two or three updates without before someone replied in the thread. I've just taken a look at some of my previous LP's, one of the more obscure ones took a month to complete and didn't even reach a second page. One of my least-watched LP's was an audience participation LP which I was recording every third day for five months solid, it's the LP I've put the most work into it and it remains one of my lowest viewed. I have absolutely no regrets and despite the pressure, it was a lot of fun to do.

If you love baking brownies and bring a batch to a party, wouldn't the empty plate at the end of it be the best compliment?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Now we're talking about feeling unpopular, I've been holding out on a few projects because there are no solid solutions behind them because of various reasons.

Danaru posted:

Participation LPs live or die by how the audience decides to participate, so it's always seemed way more stressful to me. I've had a space empires 5 democratic LP in the back of my mind for years, but I dont at all trust my ability to hold a crowd (basically wholesale ripping off Bobbin Threadbare's Galciv 2 LP since it's so loving good)

I didn't even intend to start a Sherlock Holmes audience participation LP. I started a mega thread and it was one of an officially licensed series that I said that I'd look into as it fell into the last thirty years of adaptations through video games. It happened and I'm glad that I did even though I thought it was destined for failure.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

Is it wrong to produce an LP that is objectively a slog that no one will consume because it is fun, and also you don't know what to edit out?

I'm doing Pathologic 2 right now, I know there's an LPing in SA doing it too, I'm just recording my own for Pathologic 2 for funsies because I'm a fan of the bumbling super long form lets plays of streamers (Gab) and SGF and just got the game. I produced an unpublished/unuploaded dark souls series, and prey series.... And I just have to know if what I'm doing is morally wrong. Producing content for your solely your own indulgence...

These games can be somewhat meandering and usually involve a lot of reading, which I'm personally fine with; But should I be putting time and effort into learning how to edit them to make the videos more attractive... Or be fine with producing them for myself.

My advice is just to LP a game that you enjoy and show it off in a way that you're comfortable doing it. Plenty of games have been LP'd multiple times by various different people, it usually helps if you have a new take on it. My advice is just to post, it's pretty rare that an LP on this forum doesn't gather a following.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Nidoking posted:

Make a video you would want to watch if someone else made it. Everything else is just details. You're never going to please everyone, so make sure you're part of your target audience.

I'll echo this. Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions on what makes a good video and what works for one person may switch another person off. Don't be afraid to put in moments that you're proud of, is amusing to you or moments that brought you satisfaction. Ultimately, what you're producing is yourself and even though you're condensing yourself it should still have your personality and style attached too it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

When it comes to Youtube, if videos aren't available anymore it's either done to the user making them unavailable on purpose or Youtube has deleted the videos and\or the account for a reason. There have been a large number of LP's lost on these forums because the LP'er decided to delete their Youtube account for various reasons.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Llednar Twem posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask this, but...does anyone know what happened to this old D&D LP? All the links in the thread are dead, and it seems to be gone from everywhere that I remember hosting it. A conversation with some friends made me randomly remember it after I'm not sure how many years, but now that I've gone looking for it it seems like it has vanished from the internet entirely.

The short answer is that Blip.tv has been defunct since 2015 and Viddler changed it's business model and started deleting most of it's user content back in 2014.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm not sure how to post an update for a thread for an LP that finished almost two years ago, it's not really relevant outside of this particular thread. Do I revive the thread for an update or just post it here and whoever sees it sees it?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

If the thread is still live, then post it in the relevant thread. If it's been archive locked, then PM Jeffrey or Astral with the relevant details and they should be able to get it unlocked again for you.

It's still live. I'll post it there.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

I think your 768x432 images are fine. IIRC the 900px restriction for the LP Archive applies to the horizontal width of the image, you can't go over 900x???.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=153724

baldurk posted:

The archive has a maximum limit of 900px width for images. Any images that embedded inline (i.e. linked images are exempt) should be under this dimension. I can run an automated pass to resize down all over-sized images but be sure that this is OK with you. If not, you need to resize or timg your images and edit the posts manually - see above about corrections.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

nightelf_37 posted:

man those are quite the knockers. No one else is that endowed (until perhaps Nell in Re-Boot Camp). And her skin is a tad dark, huh.

Yikeseroo!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

nightelf_37 posted:

I mean, I'm clearly not good at this, and all the justifiably derisive comments is not good for my self-esteem. Additionally, my original purpose of recommending a Let's Play is to cover something that hasn't been done by anyone else in the SA forums.

Hmm... I think I finally have an idea.

Magic Scroll Tactics!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovkXbL0pMRI

Oh, wait. This should go to the LP Req Room, right?

The best suggestion that people have already offered is to lurk more and read more LP's. If you're looking to start your own, the best way that you could probably go about it is to start small and build up the experience or to start with a game that you have a passion for. You don't have to be super knowledgeable about the game if it's something that you have a passion for. There have been LP's on here with mature content and there's a popular one going on right now that has mature themes. Mature isn't a problem as such, it's more about the context of it and how it's handled. I get that the Advanced Wars Alpha LP was meant to be written in some kind of chad characterization but was the line pointing out someones "knockers" and how dark their skin colour really necessary?

I get that you're willing to learn and passionate about LP's, but you probably need to take a step back, read a bunch of LP's and get comfortable with people's writing styles. Start writing your own until you get comfortable with it yourself and are able to develop your own style. Then come back in with a fresh mind and with a game that you're passionate about showing off to people. There have been plenty of LP's done in a unique theme and that's not discouraged as long as it's done well, American Pie edge-lord humour right off the bat probably isn't the best of starts. We've had similar individuals who were extremely keen but their reputation took a nosedive very quickly and they flew that plane right until it hit the ground in glorious flames. R.I.P. Richard Gamingo and wesflarger.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I can't wait for next year's LP from the new and never seen before user, nightelf_38.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

At least wesflarger entertained us with some meltdown videos and his terrible novel (which is still available to buy).

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Wait, novel?

The thread is here and it's quite a ride in itself: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917402&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

nine-gear crow posted:

The most popular video wes ever made was the one he did screaming about the original probation I gave him that kicked off his death spiral. By like a factor of 100. And he deleted it too, the coward.

I haven't checked in a long time but I think that he's taken them all down. I remember his video to Burt Sexual as well as his responses to a couple of other probation and bans. I didn't even think about saving them.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

He has kept a couple of videos up, one is about getting banned on one of the many occasions and another is his "joke" melt down video.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'll give a warning for his use of slurs. I probably don't need to warn you that he's a bit of a dick:

https://youtu.be/EngT3zJnAZE

https://youtu.be/SbXUYkQXy5I

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Explopyro posted:

Depending on how the game's dialogue is formatted, you might also be able to expedite transcribing it with OCR software? I looked into this a bit before deciding it wasn't for me (it wouldn't save me any time in my current workflow), so I can't give advice on specific tools or how to use them, but it might be a decent middle ground?

I used a couple of free OCR sites for my Freelancer LP and they were okayish for the most part. Unless there was a slight variation in background colour/hue, which was all the time as the text window was transparent, which made half of the text looked like the cthulu mythos.

Is there a specific folder or file for game text?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm having limited success with opening up some of the .t3d files* in Notepad++, and I do mean limited. This is the most I've been able to find.

quote:

A Royal Courier appears, bearing a message from His Highness.
It seems that the Prince's patience is at an end, and that the Crown has decided to find less demanding missions for James and Jazhara.
In other words, their services to Krondor are no longer required.
"Stay away from my chickens!" the half-crazed old man demands. "They're mine!"
James lifts his hands and steps back. "We mean your chickens no harm."
"That's what they all say!" the old man squeals. "But then they take my chickens. I used to have eight. Now count 'em. Stolen! Almost all of them stolen!"
"I think we should leave," Jazhara suggests. "Now."
"I'm inclined to agree," James replies, moving toward the door.
James searches the drawers under Kendaric's bed and finds only some fancy knick-knacks. Upon closer examination of one of these, however..."Good day, Squire James, Jazhara. As you can see, repairs to the jail are progressing nicely."
Garruth turns to bark at one of the workers who had stopped to take a break.This shop won't be open until morning.
O - Thank you for meeting with me and accepting this work. I hope you truly appreciate the importance of the information you are to gain for me as well as the frailty of the Master's heart. Be gentle when you need to be. I will meet you two nights hence, after the guard has had time to make their inquiries into the Guildmaster's death.. - J -
O - I am amazed at the ineptitude of you and your men's handiwork! Not only did you manage to kill the old man well before he told you the information I need, but you have successfully alerted Kendaric to the plot. Thankfully, I am here to cover the questions raised by the moronic guardsmen, but I am holding you responsible for finding Kendaric and/or the spell he has created. I will expect this for no addition fee. - J -
"Orin, As per your request, I am sending in one of Sidi's necromancers to assist you. I believe this magus can conjure up something that will solve all of your problems. However, when you find the spell, under no circumstances are you to return this to the guildsman. You are to keep it safe until I am able to return to the city for it. Whatever the Guildsman is offering, rest assured, I can offer you more. - C -*"

James notices several notes on the desk - "Journeyman Kendaric, Please remit the balance of your debt within a fortnight, or I will come to your home with the city guard and burn those Keshian silks as you wear them! Alshar Kazred"
"Kendaric, You know I've always felt your master was a brother to me, and he always considered you as his own son. Don't force me to take any actions we might regret later. Pay me what you owe me in ten days or there will be a reckoning between us. Phillip Aldus"
"Kendaric, Pay up or we break your legs. Salvador"
"Dear Kendaric, It is time again to ask of the payments you promised. While I understand the depth of the financial crisis you are in, I felt you and I could set aside some time to discuss this. Would the same place as last time be acceptable? Morraine"
James considers opening the door but decides against it when he sees a mark scratched into the wood.
"Let's move on," he suggests. "We'd best avoid this place."
"What makes you say that" Jazhara asks.
"Trust me," James grins, turning away from the door.

James and Jazhara follow the thugs through the labyrinthine sewers from a safe distance. Eventually, the thugs come to a dead end. One of them mumbles a few incoherent words, and a secret passage opens before them.
After the ex-thief handily defeated the trapped drawer, they discovered the following note: "J-, You've made the right decision in coming to us with your plans. We've received the gold you promised. Show the bartender this letter and you'll find him very cooperative. The fine details and future paymetns will be dealt with by my people, who will be waiting for you there at the Dog O-"
A note is found among the interlopers' effects: "J-, I understand that you have some business for me and my associates. I hope you understand the implications of what you are requesting and I hope that you will be more circumspect about making any further arrangements. You may find me at the Ye Bitten Dog tavern. O-"
Duffing the trap in a most uncharacteristic fashion, ex-thief James not only injures himself and Jazhara, but also destroys the contents of the drawer, leaving nothing but smoldering parchment and wounded pride for his efforts.The old sailor lays dead on the pavement, a single dagger wound to his chest the apparent cause of death.James and Jazhara are shocked to find Old Thom dead, one clean dagger wound through his heart."Squire James ... our thanks once again for your heroism. Soon we will have our orphanage rebuilt, better than ever, all thanks to the graciousness of the Prince."
Having no progress to report to the Prince, James thinks better of disturbing Arutha."The priests of Prandur live here," James notes. "I dare not risk the wrath of their god by disturbing this house.""These are the servant quarters," James says. "The servants are all at the palace, right now."
"These are mostly servant quarters," James explains. "If we disturb them in the middle of the night, they'll likely wake in a sour mood."
Ancient monument.

James and Jazhara discover an open, empty drawer. Given the remains of a complicated magical lock, whatever was inside must have been valuable."We received reports of strange sounds coming from this place, and were sent to check it out. When we got here, we were jumped by these two," the sergeant motions towards the two bodies on the floor, "and one other. I know the other was Lucky Pete, but the son of a troll managed to get away."
"This place is a den for Nighthawks," James says. Immediately, the sergeant glances down at the body, a nervous look on his face. "Given the troubles we had the last time, I think it's prudent you collect the bodies ... and burn them." The sergeant is shouting orders to his men before James even finishes speaking.

Edit: *In the Return To Krondor folder.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 15, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

You can always try text to speech, bonus points for applying outrageous accents for each character and not editing the text a single time.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

What was that Yoda quote about trying, or not trying that fits here?

quote:

"Into exile I must go. Failed I have."

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

it's been a few hours and my brain is still trying to parse the phrase ""ascend" the alchemists of arland"

like what the gently caress does that even mean, getting autographs from rorona and totori and meruru's voice actresses? some other weird troperese jargon?

I decided to search for both terms and it turns out that they are a couple of JRPG's.

How the word Ascend is being used is anyone's guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've forgot to add a tag to a couple of my past LP's and I just PM'd one of the mods, I got a response with a couple of days and a pleasant reply afterwards.