Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

MonsterEnvy posted:

the version of Battler that's playing against Beatrice

I guess now is a good time as any to give that a name, now that it's clear there's two "levels" to the story here: the Purgatory and Rokkenjima. To use terminology Beatrice has already been using for a while, you could say that what you see on Rokkenjima here is the game board and the people there are pieces. Beatrice and Battler are watching down on the game board from the Purgatory, so in the fandom that level is colloquially known as the meta.

In other words, when you need to make the distinction, the commonly used names are Meta-Battler and Piece-Battler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Oh man, I knew the thread wouldn't disappoint, thanks for the laughs.

Just you wait. You'll have love and you'll see that it was magic all along.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Robindaybird posted:

And also means the group will waste their time looking for Kanon or try to counter him, leaving the real culprit free to move about.

You can't just say "it was someone else lol" and drop it there, come on.

If you say it was the 19th person, the witch will cackle at you. What a boring answer.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

curiousCat posted:

It says there are only 5 master keys. It was never said (in red) that there was only one key to Jessica's room.

That's a possibility, but what does it mean? Why are the servants lying about that key specifically?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ProfessorProf posted:

"...Even I don't think of myself as very praiseworthy right now. But guess what? I'm a mother! I would even become a demon to protect Maria's safety. I really wish I could shut myself away somewhere alone with Maria."
"...But I also plan to act as a mother to you two. Right now, you are as good as my children. Even if you aren't my own children, I won't forsake you. Definitely."
"...Sure, thanks."

I love how in this episode Rosa is in many ways echoing Natsuhi from EP1, except with a... slightly different mood.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Kanon's profile says "he is dead, the witch declared it in red" but whether you consider the profiles a reliable source of information is up to you

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Prof, you forgot to update Nanjo and Kumasawa's profiles.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ProfessorProf posted:

When I get home, I'll double-check if the profiles have updated at this point, and update them in the thread if so. Sometimes it doesn't until Battler finds the scene of the crime.

You can hear the update sound in the video at 8:52 and I double-checked with the PC version of the game. They're updated.

It's admittedly an unusual timing.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 11, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
To my knowledge there's no separate soundtrack album (unless you count the anime one but that's almost all original stuff, it's still pretty good though) so you might want to simply buy EP8, I assume it has all the songs used in the entire series as plain ogg files. If it doesn't have all the EP1-4 files you'd have to buy EP4 as well I guess.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
*cackle*cackle*cackle*hihihihihihihihihihihyahyahyahhahhahahahahhahahahhahhahhahhahhahhahha!!!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I think the red previously only said there's one master key per each servant, which made some people rightly suspicious, but now we've got a cut and dry total number for them: five. Exactly as expected.

You should've just trusted the witch to begin with :witch:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
You're just forgetful.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

SardonicTyrant posted:

Another thing worth pointing out is that Beatrice appeared in her schoolgirl outfit in the chapel, but when they encounter her again in Natsuhi's room, she's in her regular gown. I don't know what that's supposed to signify, but it stands out because there's no obvious reason for it.

Not to detract you from making a point, but if you didn't watch the video she just magically changed clothes in the middle of it. Can't a girl pick an outfit to match the occasion? :witch:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
At any rate, if nothing else this should prove Rosa didn't kill Shannon, George and Gohda by herself since she was with Battler the whole time since they were last seen. No way she could have snuck out,

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Unless she didn't sneak.

In which case Battler is at least an accomplice and an unreliable narrator.

It's not impossible! :witch:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ProfessorProf posted:

"...The Maria who's in a good mood that you want to spoil, and the Maria who's a nuisance and you don't want to be around, aren't different people. Maria is also just one Maria. So both the scary Mama and the nice Mama are together. To Maria... there is just one... Mama..."

I love this whole scene enough that it's pretty much my number one reason for not entirely hating Rosa

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

EagerSleeper posted:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fan game based off this section of this section of Umineko, called Rosa Musou.

https://youtu.be/xQFQRlN2q1w <-- Link to a game play video for the curious. Minor spoilers for something small we haven't seen before, but honestly nothing bad. Pretty hilarious game overall.

Well it reveals the character designs of the rest of the stakes which admittedly isn't a big deal

but watching this will likely also cause Umineko videos to show up in the recommended bar which you'll probably want to avoid

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Glazius posted:

It's interesting that Genji doesn't even get eaten on-screen.

Maybe he actually is some kind of goat-demon?

Well, he did wish for a peaceful sleep, after all. I guess being eaten by goats could disturb that a bit.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Rodyle posted:

I forgot about Battler's goddamn "eating" joke :cripes:

It's the most memorable line in EP2

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Amidiri posted:

I don't understand how denying the witch works. Surely if you accept her once, you can't just dial it back and be like 'actually, since you're mean, just kidding, I don't believe you exist', right? Surely??

I'm pretty sure at least some atheists were religious at one point.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Don't forget to submit your EP2 theories before the wild ride begins again, it'll be on the test

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

resurgam40 posted:

Well, one of the ways Natsuhi's room could have been locked is if Krauss possibly had a key to her room; even if the room wasn't shared, he's her husband, and I think she'd be OK with giving him a key. In that case, the key could have been taken from his person just as Natsuhi's key was taken from hers.

I don't think this contradicts any red, but I have to say it's flimsy tricks like this that really make you look like another Battler. Hope you've got something more substantial than duplicate keys pulled out of thin air before you inherit his incompetence too. :witch:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
There's a lot to be said about EP3 but I suppose it's better to wait until later before getting into specifics. It's another good one though.

Anyway, at least Battler has cheered up in time for this round.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Oh man this is so good

As you can already see, EP3 has definitely a brisker start than EP2 and it works quite well in its favor. It helps that the previous episodes did a lot of the "groundwork" for it, though, and now we can just introduce random demons because

resurgam40 posted:

"Why not? Gay demon butler with a monocle- cool. Moving on."

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
You'll notice that the way Umineko uses terms like Devil's proof and Hempel's raven maaaay not correspond exactly with their real definitions. The best you can do is not worry about it too much.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
In celebration, let me talk about the extra TIPS.

Besides the episodes proper, Ryukishi07 also occasionally wrote some supplementary material for Umineko. These are often called extra arcs or TIPS and their contents are pretty varied. Most of them are written like his usual prose, much like side stories. Some are light-hearted and comedic, some are more serious, some don't really reveal much anything, some pretty much spell out solutions. Some of them could be considered canon to the actual story, some clearly not. These story TIPS were eventually compiled into the same visual novel format as the original episodes, but let's leave that stuff for later.

Some TIPS are basically short articles about the themes of Umineko, such as this one: Anti-Fantasy vs. Anti-Mystery. Spoiler warning for some Higurashi content, although if you're unfamiliar with it, the spoilers are not really explicit.

As the translator of this TIP notes, it was distributed at Comiket 74 where EP3 was also sold. It's also the second TIP released. The first one, "Important Facts Concerning Magic", was after EP2 and is about Beatrice telling Maria and the reader, well, some facts about magic - however, it has not been translated. In Anti-Fantasy vs. Anti-Mystery, Ryukishi07 discusses some facets of the solvability of mystery novels as himself but also through the voices of Beatrice and Ronove.

:witch: posted:

Deduction? Mystery novels? And traditional ones? Ahahahahaha! How laughable!! Good kids, if you have bought mystery books then let Mummy read it first, and then ask her, "Are the riddles in this book something I can solve?" If Mummy nods her head, then you can go on and read. You can just eat the baby food Mummy has already chewed up for you. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

tiistai fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 5, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ProfessorProf posted:

Episode 3 was originally going to be a much harder, more brutal story called Land of the Golden Witch. However, players found EP2 much more difficult than R07 expected, so what we have now is the slightly kinder Banquet, which will give a lot of hints towards understanding the story.

Of course, solving it will still be impossible, because your opponent is the Endless Witch.

To elaborate on this a bit, R07 actively followed fan reactions, feedback and theories and sometimes modified the stories he was writing to reflect these. Scrapping the original EP3 was probably the biggest change. Many people gave up thinking because of the magic scenes in EP2, convinced Umineko was purely a fantasy and that there was no point in trying to solve it. Of course that's true, there's no way you can beat the witch, but Anti-Mystery vs. Anti-Fantasy was also perhaps written in response to the despair of these fans.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

resurgam40 posted:

I guess I don't suppose I can blame them, I was about ready to throw in the towel when they started bringing frigging lightsabers into the story myself...

EagerSleeper posted:

A lot of people must have taken things at face value when Kanon started going super saiyan, and then thought "gently caress, what's the point of a mystery novel if there's going to be magical stuff involved in the crime scenes?", and left.

That's pretty much it. They threw their hands in the air proclaiming this can't be solved, the author is just loving with them, no point in trying. They wanted to eat the baby food like Beatrice put it.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Oh Battler!

That last line used to be mistranslated as "No matter when you knock me down, I'll keep saying the same line". This Steam version is improved a lot, but at this point the translators also have the benefit of hindsight. The original translation was really paranoiacally literal and outright wrong in some places.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah I'd recommend a video too, she speaks quite softly by comparison.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Haha yeah, nice loving try Beato. "This" Rokkenjima? Fine. But what about the original timeline Rokkenjima? Or the next loop's Rokkenjima? There's still the possibility.

ahaha.wav

This is honestly the first time that I can remember seeing someone doubt the phrasing here. Maybe it's just because of my bad memory though.

Stop lying to yourselves and just play the game properly :witch:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Hoh

resurgam40 posted:

Later, Genji, or perhaps Kinzo, comes to Eva's door (or perhaps was hiding there all along) and kill them, setting it up with the stakes, and then hide somewhere in the room until everyone goes away- there was no roomcheck after the corpses were discovered, after all.

Reading the scene, Kumasawa was on her knees on the floor presumably near the door while Kanon was investigating the room. If the murderer was hiding, they could have sneaked out while Kanon was in the bathroom checking Hideyoshi, with Kumasawa letting them go. However, at the time Genji was reporting to Natsuhi and the two arrive at the scene right then. The kids catch up soon afterwards.

resurgam40 posted:

Sometime during or immediately after, Kuwabara (probably) gets Krauss/Rudolph's body, dress it in Kinzo's clothes, and put it in the furnace; during this process they are surprised by Kanon, so he gets killed.

After they leave the crime scene, everyone notices the smell and Kumasawa wonders if she hadn't turned the flame off in the kitchen. Genji tells Kanon to go with her, with the words "do not let her be alone", so he probably did just that. Not to mention the burnt stench was already there, surely the corpse had already been in the furnace by that time.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

resurgam40 posted:

vvv Kumasawa I might allow, but loyal servants, Beatrice said...

No, that's what SardonicTyrant said. Beatrice didn't say much anything in the update, the servants realized on their own why they had been summoned.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Another weirdo has come!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I don't know where you guys are getting this, even the narration says she doesn't look anything like Kumasawa. Clearly they're completely different people.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

EagerSleeper posted:

I do think changing things around to not be so magical was a sensible choice, because based off of episode 2, I was expecting episode 3 to have even more lightsabers, goats, and demon high schoolers. If the author changed things around to counter those expectations, then I have no idea what's going to next now.

Yeah nobody said things were getting less magical

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Qrr posted:

I don't think Beatrice has said anything about the golden land in red,

Just a few updates ago Ronove explained pretty clearly why Beatrice can't just pronounce that magic and other related things and concepts exist in red. It would be an instant stalemate.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Confirming it's Eva. Also, Suspicion starts playing after the screenshot with "The adults split up."

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
What a beautiful closed room murder.

Prof, the profiles on the six who died should be updated.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

This isn't about the latest trick or for anyone in particular but a general reminder as to what may happen when you're so self-satisfied with an answer that you stop thinking :witch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

resurgam40 posted:

Has it been established that the door to the chapel can be opened with a master key? If it can, they probably did just prepare Kinzo's body first and left the chapel key... but what happened next?

Of course, that all depends on if they were actually killed in that order, and the rooms can be locked from the inside without keys. I assume they would, but this is a weird house operating under weird rules, so repitiotion requested: did these people die in the order they were found, and can the doors be locked from inside?

Guess it's time for you to reread earlier episodes and find out :^)

^^aww oath2order please

• Locked thread