Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

bman in 2288 posted:

Welp.

Hmm.

Seriously. I got nothing. This came way out of left field.

What, are you surprised about how many murders happened at once?

It's like you guys didn't even READ the epitaph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

vector_to posted:

Assuming the key to the shutter is always in the servants' room, this makes the servants look pretty drat shady.

Also noteworthy is the smashing in of the faces. I was gonna propose that the culprit did this to disguise someone's corpse as someone else's, but I think everyone is accounted for right now, right?

Some thoughts on this: We can't discount the possibility of body doubles or unknown people on the island, at this point, so it is entirely possible that someone--say Rudolph for instance, faked his on death and is now hiding on the island somewhere. By that logic, you could say that Shannon, who still has an identifiable face, is the only confirmed kill.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Kinzo is an alchemist, yes? So maybe the Kinzo that Natsuhi talked to was actually a Homunculus he created. The real Kinzo is elsewhere. The Homunculus then evaporated into dust.

See, doesn't need to be a witch!

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

If there was ever a time for a functional use of the :witch: it was this thread.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

I think based on some of the images we've seen already we have reason to believe in magic.

oath2order fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 4, 2016

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Does that make today Beatrice's 1030th birthday?

Cause if so you gotta admit girl aged well.

On a more practical note, what does the thread make of the idea of a theoretical 19th person? Do we accept that there are only 18 people on the island? If so, will any characters be added to the story as the episodes go on?

oath2order fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 4, 2016

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Hmm. I'm sure they're fine.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

HiKaizer posted:

So which body part got mutilated on the second night again?

"On the second twilight, those who remain shall tear apart the two who are close. "

It's the later twilight that start mutilating body parts.

"On the fourth twilight, gouge the head and kill.
On the fifth twilight, gouge the chest and kill.
On the sixth twilight, gouge the stomach and kill.
On the seventh twilight, gouge the knee and kill.
On the eighth twilight, gouge the leg and kill.
On the ninth twilight, the witch shall revive, and none shall be left alive. "

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's quite simple, Eva is the culprit, killed herself and her husband just to spite Natsuhi.

Case closed, no magic here.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

HiKaizer posted:

I'm sure this is a joke but Eva has too much at stake with the inheritance and Hideyoshi needs the money. Suicide seems unlikely.

I think you're really underestimating just how much Eva likes trolling Natsuhi.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Everyone should watch the video just for Beatrice's 2spooky magical sound effects, including what most of the Fandom unironically considers the best part of the franchise: Beatrice's ridiculous laugh.

Besides that, we have golden butterflies...a spike being shot out of nowhere, a weird disembodied laugh, and every living family member account for.

...guys, I think we all know who the culprit is. :witch:

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

alcharagia posted:

Suffocation. Because Rokkenjima is on the moon.

Stop trying to solve Umineko with the plot twists to other Visual Novels. :v:

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Qrr posted:

Huh, this doesn't really fit with gouge the X and kill. Maybe the killer(s) has given up on their silly epitaph methodology?

Also I suppose the gross smell in the basement will turn out to be Kinzos decaying corpse because nothing can be easy.

Kanon was stabbed in the chest, which would fit the fifth twilight.

But tearing apart the two who are close is the second twilight, so it seems like we skipped some steps there.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

The storehouse murder:

Kinzo's disappearance:

Battler's theory:

Eva and Hideyoshi's murder:

As an extra, have one more thread poll regarding visuals moving forward! Here are three options:

The last one is the native resolution for the PS3 patch. However, there's a tradeoff - the bigger the screencaps, the harder it is to fit the game's special effects that we'll be seeing more of later on into <2MB gifs, the more I'll have to wrestle with capturing them as webms, and the less of them you'll end up seeing. So, smaller resolution = more animation.

What do you think, thread?
Voting for maximum animation, least resolution, because so much of umineko deserves to be a gif

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

I never really thought about it before, whether when I played or when I read Shiny's LP, but the new art makes it more obvious - haven't they all been staying inside for a while now? With the way it's raining outside, whoever fled the boiler room would have difficulty avoiding getting at least a little wet, so gathering everyone and inspecting their clothes for moisture seems like a fine starting point. Obviously it wouldn't be any kind of sure thing - someone could have wet clothes for other reasons, and the killer could have dressed in raincoat and wellingtons then managed to dispose them somewhere in the mansion I suppose - but it'd still be a start in terms of figuring out who's primary suspect.

As it happens, the writer gave an interview after Umineko completed where he pointed out that this was the one thing he just didn't want to bother worrying about. So you probably shouldn't dwell on that particular plot point either way.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

John Lee posted:

They DID ask her many of those things, though. They asked what she looked like, and I'm pretty sure they asked what she was wearing. And this time just recently, they asked her "Who was it?" and she replied "psh, you wouldn't believe me." And they came back with "But who was it REALLY" and Maria just went "BEATRICE, OKAY!?"

I'm pretty sure that, to Maria, she could see it was, to name a random name, Uncle Fester, but that his demeanor and behavior CLEARLY pointed to it REALLY being Beatrice, the real witch who totally exists. So the fact that it appeared to be Uncle Fester is of little consequence (not to mention that acknowledging that would be implicitly taking a step forward on the slippery slope of WITCHES AREN'T REAL).

So if I understand correctly, you're claiming that the culprit is a heretofore unnamed uncle of Maria's that we know nothing about?

I like it.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Qrr posted:

I am very disappointed in that letter as a way to complete the third twilight. I'm afraid that that was cheating and everyone will need to file a complaint with the department of supernatural affairs.

As for the letter it presumably came from someone in the room. We don't really have a reason to believe in witches yet.

You can really tell that the culprit didn't know what to do for the third twilight and so they just kinda phoned it in.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Even if you don't watch the video, System 0 is a high value listen. It uses audio clips from Star Trek, of all things!

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

resurgam40 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOdISTgK3cg

That's... kinda bleak... and really not much of a mystery if the witch- or whoever- just wins in the end.

You all probably feel a bit silly now, trying to solve the mysteries of the Episode when it turns out Umineko was a fantasy series about Witches all along. :witch:

oath2order fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 12, 2016

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

E: All good now

oath2order fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 13, 2016

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Nemo Somen posted:

Eh, I can think of an explanation for the murder of Eva and Hideyoshi, but yeah, Umineko's doesn't really seem like a mystery to solve, but rather one to explore (which seems true of many mysteries). I don't think the reader is supposed to fight alongside Battler, but to watch the conflict between Beatrice and Battler as if the reader is an outsider. If you think hard enough, even Beatrice's 'magic' trick breaks down, but when you do that, it takes some of the fun out of the story.

You have an explanation? Assuming you've not read ahead, please share. I don't think It' a spoiler for me to say that you absolutely should try to solve the mysteries, if you can. Unless you think a witch did it.

SystemLogoff posted:

This is a really captivating book. I almost want to read ahead.

Those who read ahead will be stuck in the worst position of all: Unable to comment in the thread, and unable to chat in the spoiler discord. A true hell.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Now that Episode one is more or less over, I can finally post my personal favorite bit of Fandom, the Umineko Motion Graphic Vol. 1. They translated almost the entire series into dopey music videos that I freaking loved when I was first reading Umineko, and now I can share them with you

UMG Vol 1

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

HiKaizer posted:

Wait.

What?

This is not where I expected a murder mystery to go. It seems weird to disbelieve in a witch and magic when literal magic is occurring in front of you but okay Battler.

:psyduck:

I have to say, posts like these are the reason I love this thread. Umineko's a loving insane ride. You know...everything that just happened? The entire LP to this point?

That was the loving prologue. We've not even really begun to get into this poo poo.

Prof wasn't kidding when he included "Hoo Boy" in the OP.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

resurgam40 posted:

Hm. I am suddenly taken with the desire to read Higurashi; I mean, it's sitting right there in Steam, nearly finished, and this might be a good time to show support. Thing is, I've seen the anime (both adjectiveless and Kai, even Chiru, which was a mistake) and know all of the major plot points, would it still be worth a read, according to those who've read it?

The Higurashi anime is much better to its source material than Umineko's anime is, particularly Kai. The originalofficial English translation for Higurashi was truely awful, but I believe they fixed it later.

On the other hand, it was worth reading with the bad translation and is probably even better now, so do it if you have the time and the wait for umineko updates is annoying you.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

tiistai posted:

Nice job, even if an old granny helping carry six corpses to a storage shed seems odd. As a theory this seems to mostly hold. You're ignoring some magical parts such as the bloody claw marks on Natsuhi's door and the magic circle (square?) on Eva and Hideyoshi's door, though.

This is a surprisingly hard mystery that most people overlook entirely. The culprit had only a few minutes to draw that extremely complex Magic circle. How did they do it, if not with magic? It was totally Magic. :witch:

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Elric posted:

Look, the answer is clearly drugs. Someone drugged the tea with LSD or something, and so none of what anyone perceives can be trusted.

Three words for you: Hallucinogenic Butterfly Dust.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

The Opening and Ending are good. The Next Episode previews are also hilarious and great. Occasionally scenes are done so poorly that they come right back around to being hilariously awesome. In time, I'm sure we'll be able to cover those moments in the thread.

But in general, Deen is a mediocre anime production house at best, and adapting Umineko is not a challenge to be taken lightly, to say the least.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Bholder posted:

I was about to point out how the "fat" remarks make more sense with the old sprites.

But what the hell is George wearing?!

It's actually a reference to a Higurashi character, Tomitake. Its the name of his photography company. I think he even wears the same shirt?

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

resurgam40 posted:

I don't know how it could be called Shannon's fault, per se, since we don't know the specifics of this promise she made... but it is interesting that she went to the shrine and did something like a spell to be free of servitude.

But I don't suppose I blame her after a sweet date like that! :3: I wonder if we're going to see something like Higurashi here, where the same essential event will be experienced by different charactes, thus providing more information (that wasn't an invitation to tell me, I'm just spit-balling). I also like the new presentation very much; allows me to see more of the sprites.

I do have a really funny image of Shannon just being totally fed up with George's weird goony ideas of romance, and just staying with him cause he's loaded and has a nice rear end.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

I never caught this line before, but it's a pretty interesting one. We pretty much have confirmation that during Battler's time living with his grandparents on his mother's side, Kinzo and the rest of the family didn't consider him an Ushiromiya at all. Of course, the Kinzo of 1986 at least clearly despises everyone anyway, but him calling Battler someone who 'threw away the honor of the Ushiromiya family' seems to indicate he was straight-up disinherited previously, even if not in writing. It's interesting that the rest of the family seems to welcome him back with open arms despite this, with nary a comment.

I'll have to pay attention and see if it comes up more in the future.

This is correct. Battler was removed from the family register, but it was basically at his own request. He was officially part of Asumu's family for those years.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

resurgam40 posted:

Indeed, it's because she cares about her son so much that she's so horrible to Shannon here- she wants to do right by her son at all costs, and part of that is finding a girl for him who's lands are broad and who's towers run high... and though Shannon be pretty, where her lands?

Hey I'll have you know that Shannon has Huge...tracts of land :v:

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

resurgam40 posted:

Do you mean in terms of who could be the murderer, or just in general? Hmm...

Did I forget anybody?

*applauses* Effort posts like this can keep witches like us alive for centuries.

No but seriously, good work.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

You know the thing that really sticks out to me on the re-read is just how much shannon's story feels like a typical Disney princess movie. The cinderella parallels are hardcore.

Beatrice is one poor choice for a fairy godmother, though.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

tiistai posted:

Man I really like Beatrice's characterization in this scene

Beatrice is just the best character in a series full of best characters, generally.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Just to understand your arguement, do you think Beatrice killed no one in the last episode, or is it that she killed bunch but there was also another culprit?

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Toalpaz posted:

Wow. Battler has a lot of work cut out from him in order to save everyone from what's becoming a mass delusion among the servants. Its so strange that Shannon would think that an illusionary being was helping her with her relationship when in reality it can easily be explained by her own romantic efforts. We still haven't seen any real magic other than the disappearing and reappearing of the witch which can bee explained by mass hallucinations. Maybe there's a natural gas leak on the island, or they're eaten bad mackerel, or they use exclusively mercury plumbing...

It seems that the orphanage has really done a number on those kids! I'm sure with the amount of stress they go through on a daily basis, coupled with the fact that they're wholly dependent on their abusers and trapped on a small island probably isn't doing wonders for their mental health as we can see here.

Yeah, I think at this point it is pretty clear that the Ushiromiya family does not treat their servants very well.

Honestly, it really makes me question the morality of George's relationship with Shannon, given that he's part of a family that apparently trains children to think of themselves as property of the family, George included.

Obviously, Shanon does love george, but given the mentality there, is that really the healthiest relationship for her?

oath2order fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 19, 2016

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

Jessica confirmed his age at 16 a couple updates into EP1.

Odd, I thought kanon was younger than shannon, who is also 16.

For reference, Jessica is 17, Battler is 18, and George is 22-23ish.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

bman in 2288 posted:

This hurts my soul.

Now you're starting to read Umineko correctly.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

Where did Kannon even get an outfit like that?
In episode 6 we learn that Kanon has never bought clothing for himself before, and so accidentally walked into an anime cosplay shop, unable to tell the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

Speaking of anime cosplay, that wasn't Jessica's outfit in the original game. In that, she was dressed as, well...

In addition there was an insert song during that sequence, also related to Touhou. Presumably they were both changed/removed in the later releases for copyright reasons.

Oh, there's also some singing of a song involving Oyashiro-sama and their antics, but not talking about that any more. ProfessorProf's LP has got me replaying Higurashi due to the recent release on Steam of the last of its Question arcs, and I'm currently debating doing an LP of it. Still working out the mechanics and the time requirements, but at least considering it.

Jessica singing her original VN song about how flat chests are the best while dressed like a tohou will never not be hilarious to me.

It is canon that Jessica can't get a boyfriend because she's a moe moe anime character about 2 decades too early for that to be in fashion.

• Locked thread