Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

idonotlikepeas posted:

So, being a witch is all about deceiving yourself and others about everything and attempting to maintain those lies in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Check.

It actually reminds me of Pans labyrinth. Sometimes a life is bad enough that the only answer is to retreat into delusion and denial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

ProfessorProf posted:

"...The message bottle."

Thank you so much for explaining that, Professor Ootsuki. I don't know what Ange would do without your incredible expertise.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Battler doesn't seem to have that impression of him, and he's well aware that most of his father's side of the family is nasty.

I think part of the theory at this point is that Battler isn't real either. He's Ange's projection of someone on the island trying to solve the murders. Presumably she would have picked him because he's her brother, and neither of the bottles nor the diary implicate him.

Basically, not a single thing we've seen really happened. They're just 3 different stories written by probably the murderer about what happened.

I don't really like that interpretation. It makes episodes 1-3 pretty pointless.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I don't think Ange is an exceptionally rational viewpoint. She's been abused for most of her life and retreated into Maria's diary the same way Maria herself retreated into the occult.

Also, I'm kind of annoyed that Beatrice took a pretty adorable lion toy and turned it into a meh catboy wearing lame clothes. Sakutaro, you were so much better before.

Oh, and why is giving someone tea a metaphor for torture and/or murder? Is this a standard Yakuza thing, or are the Sumaderas just weirdos?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

If we're looking at witch power as the creation of imaginary friends, then there's another candidate - Battler himself. Sure, it currently seems like meta battler is a construct of Ange, but if he isn't then the Battler-Beato contest could be something Battler is doing himself. He's combining a few things in it - the desire to solve these cases, the desire for no one in his family or their servants to be guilty, and the realization that yes, yes they are. So he uses his amazing witchy powers to create a more objective more knowledgable version of himself and an enemy - an enemy who lets him approach the idea that someone he knows is guilty at an angle, without needing to immediately face the truth. An enemy who takes the form of Beatrice, the "19th person" of the island, which is the idea he's truly trying to defeat.

And that's why the whole thing is framed as denying witches rather than straight up solving the crimes - he's got a lot of cognitive dissonance going on.

After all, just because you can create an imaginary friend doesn't mean you'll create a nice one.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Yeah, this part of the game definitely has pacing issues. This entire update did, well, very little. It's Ange realizing that the only one who decides if she's happy is Ange, which is not entirely accurate and not that important.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

That was pretty goofy.

"This world is but a twisted place in which you exist to kill or be killed! "

Undertale/Umineko crossover confirmed. Obviously MARIA is the fallen child and anime is real.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

So all of this speculation and theorizing is great and interesting, but it seems like it's missing the true power of blue text: we (and Battler) don't need to know why something is true. We don't need to know all of the details of it (though we want to eventually). We just need to say it in blue and Beatrice has to counter it. And the blue texts can contradict each other - only one needs to make it.

So to start:
Kinzo was dead before the events on Rokkenjima
Kinzo was Beatrice
Shannon was Beatrice

A decent start, but we can do better. We don't need to be nearly so specific. I'm going to use <18 names> to mean "Battler, Kinzo, Shannon, George, ..." including all 18 that we believe are on the island.

At least one of <18 names> was dead before the events on Rokkenjima
At least one of <18 names> was Beatrice
There was at least one living human on Rokkenjima besides <18 names> during these events
One or more of <18 names> was not a living human on Rokkenjima during these events
Some living human on Rokkenjima during these events had more than one of <18 names> as their name
At least one of <18 names> was the name of more than one living human on Rokkenjima during these events

Those last two could be a fun answer - back in part 3 when we had "Genji is dead. Kinzo is dead.", it could have been that Genji's middle name or nickname or real name was Kinzo, and one person being dead was covered by both sentences.

Although really, given the rules for blue text this is all much, much too complicated. All it needs to be is something that denies witches, and she has to respond in red. So we could use:

Every human who died on Rokkenjima during these events was killed by a human or accident

Or we could trivialize the whole thing and skip straight to the end:

Witches aren't real

Seriously, according to the rules of the blue text Beatrice has to counter that last one with red. And if she's able to say in red that witches are real then, well, that's game, but there isn't a way to beat that if she can do it.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 15, 2017

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I did - which did I violate?

I wonder how this update will turn into a closed room, especially since we will apparently have 5 missing people.

Also, if any of the 5 missing people turn up dead later it would be easy to believe that they were killed at this meeting but the bodies were moved so that the epitaph was kept intact.

Kumasawa and Gohda are presumably going to run to the kids and babble about Kinzo killing a bunch of people, but they are hardly reliable witnesses. Kumasawa is a strong candidate for accomplice, and while Gohda is less likely to be an accomplice he would be easier to intimidate or confuse.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

oath2order posted:

I just had to double check, but Beato's red about no other life forms other than humans says absolutely not a thing about ROBOTS .

Ah, so Beatrice is 3 chimp robots in a dress. Excellent - it was a true tragedy when that theory was slain by the red.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Hmm, so Kyrie remembers seeing the golden light and the pit traps. But none of them mentioned it on the phone, so if everyone in the dungeon dies then this could still just be made up, even Kyrie's inner thoughts.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

CottonWolf posted:

I'd just assumed it was all the magic people.

Play as any of 4 different magic rabbit guns! Feel the power of a demon butler! Be whatever the heck Gaap is! Or play as a completely generic goatman.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

SardonicTyrant posted:

Well, there is no reason to assume the mansion doors change each game, so we can assume the Red statements about the mansion doors are true across worlds. The same would apply to the master keys, Kuwadorian mansion, etc.

The master key number almost certainly wasnt true in the first episode, since Beatrice said she was reducing it.

I don't think we have any reason to believe that red text carries across episodes. The events in each are different.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

The death flags were great.

Also, Krauss once again demonstrates his astounding business acumen when he hears about a 1 in 10000 chance and thinks "I would totally bet on that". You just know that Krauss's room is full of hundreds of losing lottery tickets, but it's ok because this next one will totally make up for it.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Meta Battler continues to not use the blue text. On the other hand, Beato hasn't really presented him with anything that requires magic aside from fictional accounts and scripted phone calls. I actually wonder if that's her plan - give him a tool to argue back with, and then don't give him anything to argue about. Sort of similar to her refusing to use the red. Especially with how the blue works now, if she provides a puzzle with one solution then he has to find out that solution and say it in blue. If she provides a puzzle with a thousand solutions, he has to figure out the right one. Instead of hiding a needle in a haystack she hides a needle in a needle stack.

Also in this entire chapter I don't think we have solid evidence that a single person has died yet. We have Kumasawa and Gohda, who aren't reliable, and we have phone calls, which are definitely not reliable. Presumably the survivors will find some bodies in locked rooms soon.

Oh, and Gohda and Kumasawa could totally be accomplices here. Their setup means they could give someone the key, that someone unlocks the shed, they do whatever it is they want to do, and then they get locked back in again and get the key back.

I think it'd be kind of funny to look at other video games with the same attitude as we look at Umineko when we assume magic isn't real. Or books. Like, when Gandalf fights the Balrog and breaks the bridge it's a metaphor for some heavily armored dude getting tackled off a bridge by an old guy in a gray robe.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 2, 2017

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

EagerSleeper posted:

Not pictured: Beatrice as a spike-ridden red sponge, and Battler standing on a box to reach up there.

...Alright, snark aside, this is actually pretty nice. We're about to reach the end of this game. Beatrice said in red that they want to be killed, and it's finally happening. I still remember the North Wind and Sun thing that happened earlier, but I think Beatrice really does want to end here. Rest in peace, my beloved Beatrice... :rip:

It makes me wonder what the next 4 chapters will be about. We'll see when we get there.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Alopex posted:

If magic isn't real then how did I get this delicious marshmallowpumpkin??

It was delivered to you when the 18th person X set it gently into trap X (which I won't explain further because devils proof). But I recommend against eating it because it's filled with small bombs.

Alternatively, Kanon just handed it to you while wearing a dress and speaking in a falsetto voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

By the way, I like how Lambadelta is really good at math and absolutely terrible at connecting it to the real world. She threatens to trap Bern in a castle with 30 foot walls, and Bern offers to make the castles area much larger at the cost of reducing the walls to 1/10th height. So while Lambadelta is busy dreaming of how long Bern will be trapped, Bern is escaping with a small hop.

Although generally people in this game are awfully fond of and good at multiplication. See Kyries jealousy and the saga of Goat-kun. The real magic was inside a calculator all along!

• Locked thread