Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
He did that himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They're an older model. Apparently the Awing is now a Kuat Systems Engineering design that lost to the TIE Fighter in a competition to be the Imperial next gen fighter. So they sold it on the civilian market instead. It has heavier shields and armor and heavier laser cannons compared to the Endor-era A-wing. I'm guessing the Rebels learned a lot from losing all these early A-wings and significantly modified them into the Endor version.

Other than two seats, was the a-wing that Ezra and Kanan used in the last episode particularly different to the usual ones?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Had a hunt around and it's apparently the rz1t, a trainer version.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'll spray piss if they've snuck ol dash on us as well as thrawn

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I don't really love the way people move in TCW at any point, but by god you can see the infinite budget it had in any given seen compared to Rebels.

Rebels does a single little station in a cloud, Clone Wars does massive city scapes and it's full atmospherics and cinematic lightning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmbE9lmyxDw

So like, the space battle happening here is entirely incidental to the plot. They could just have snuck onto the command ship and the plot would have carried on regardless. The show was like that across the board, with big elaborate new sets and monsters for each new arc. Even when they were in familiar locations like coruscant they would be visiting new levels and places within them all the time. Rebels has definitely gotten better at this (Compared to Lothal and it's one road in season 1) But it's still a long way behind.

Also, man, that anthology format let them do some goofy poo poo. Godzilla on coruscant! CSI bit! I like Rebels well enough, but I really miss Clone Wars.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I really hate how everyone in rebels has really weak mushy poorly defined shoulders. Just arms sticking out of a torso.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I like how we all pegged that as a new dark trooper from the trailer.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's exactly that. It's not like the men are horned and the women aren't either because you see horned female zabrak in cw. It's literally "night sisters keep a village of zabrak slaves."

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
That bit was great.

Y wings! Vader throws rocks at Y wings! No Y wings!

It's a shame the art was apocalyptically bad in the crossover.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The clone wars is the best thing to come out of the prequels by miles. It takes a while to get up to speed and it's got some absolute shockers that should never have been aired, but it also goes to some really weird and interesting places too. It's got an anthology structure which lets it get kind of experimental.

You'll have episodes all about clone free will and sacrifice, that'll get followed up with some deeply weird stuff that leans in heavily on star wars as fantasy. Then you might check in on the badguys and follow them for a few episodes. Kaiju movie? Sure thing!

By the end the budget is absolutely barmy. You'll have enormous fleet battles as a passing detail.

Also, anakin is a... likable character?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Remind me of the s3 warcrimes? Other than that little incident in the first episode.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

MrJacobs posted:

Quinlon Vos

But he's in a nucanon thing from before the split. Since Disney aquire star wars we've only had than and some tech.
(And some super throwaway stuff in novels apparently)

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I actually kinda liked the droids in the show by the end. They're just so put upon!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Star Wars has always been pretty nebulous on the scale of the empire, at least in the main movies and shows. It's a weird contradictory galaxy that's got huge megaprojects and ridiculous city spanning cities but also one where a single battle is hugely significant, and the biggest battles seen (Coruscant) are only a few hundred cap ships, a few million troops is enough to defend the entire republic and that a random backwards planet pulled out of a hat is instantly recognised by everyone. It's about the size of earth, just spread out more.

That's OK though. It puts it on a relatable scale. If it bothers you that this enormous force can actually be injured by a handful, just headcanon that like, most of the galaxy is inaccessible to the hyperlanes or something, and it's smaller than you'd think.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's a shame the writing has been so clanky throughout. Particularly this season where they just drop a character quirk or motivation onto someone like it had always been a thing.

I watch it and it's. .. fun enough but aside from a few standout moments it's never really found is voice. It's never interesting or creative in the way clone wars was.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Rebels can do a caper and it will be a fun episode, so the last one was fun. Drama and emotion it just cannot do, at least this season. Sabines last ep was the most rote thing I've ever seen.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Has chopper Bases planet been named? Could it be dantooine?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thats a flamboyant man you overly sensitive baby.

Like I don't even get what your complaining about. You mad that their going to do an episode on the forming of the Rebel Alliance under Mon Mothma.

I fully expect something throwaway and nothingy like the other cameo episodes though. I hope we get something substantial but this season has jumped between so many things everything is coming across pretty half baked so I don't have high hopes.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Y-Wings are just as fast as X-Wings. :colbert:

I hope this means we get to see Wishbones do something cool for a change.

Y-wings are 80 MGLT, X-wings are 100 MGLT. :colbert:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Were they not designed with those huge engines to evoke stripped down hot rods? Them being slow in post ANH work is a factor of how their scenes were shot more than anything, no?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I've seen some people pretty bewildered, Because the mentions of other cells and the appearance of things like a fairly formal seeming rank structure, uniforms, made it seem like the rebellion was pretty much under way. Even if it hadn't come together in one space, it was presented as being very definately a thing. But here is Mothma now making it even more formally a thing? OK.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Covok posted:

I think that was just that General's cell. All of these groups have their own hierarchy and their own leaders. Mon Mothma just united them into one rank and one file.

Sure, I mean, canonically that's what happened. But given that the show never really showed that this hadn't already happened, and outright stated a wider organisation (They are regularly in contact with other cells. Getting resources for other cells comes up several times) this big moment just doesn't come across strongly. There wasn't any reason to think Commander Sato didn't answer to rebellion high command, for instance.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I don't know I agree on the reasons but this show really hasn't been great this season. It's meandering from plot to plot with no real urgency, the writing has just been clunky, plots have been built around character asspulls (Sabines out of nowhere crisis of self which Kanan talked about like it had always been a big thing with her) and the always kinda thin characterisation is barely existent right now.

I'd even take the heavy handed Era's lesson of the week from s1 over this season's Ezra does.. a thing I guess? I had high hopes with the darkside Ezra plot but it's barely moved.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Dave Syndrome posted:

Jar Jar getting jiggy with an alien queen while "Mastering Mace" is relegated to sidekick status is a concept that really should not work, but I'm so glad it did.

This is a lot of TCW though. Fuckin Maul coming back from the dead with wackass robolegs? Should not have worked.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Il Federale posted:

It's worse imo. Both effects and story.
But if you really need a star wars fix, it's good enough.

Yep. I miss the anthology format. I think that went a long way to covering some funky writing. They could write in broad strokes and any writing weakness was made up for by the huge variety and creativity in each arcs premise. I can't think of another show that mixed things up like clone wars did, kids horror bits, kaiju bits, cop show parody.

Rebels is about a small team and how they grow together and I personally think the writing is too clunky to really sell it. It's operating on a fraction of the CW budget too. You just don't get the huge scale scenery and events CW had.

Season 1 is kinda awful until the back quarter where it remembers to tell it's plot. It's also super cheap with half the episodes revolving around driving down a planets single copy pasted highway. I can barely remember any interesting situations here, it's normally 'our boys steal a crate of imperial biscuits and the agent chasing them gets angry'

Season 2 is much improved, has some real real cool set pieces, moves at a cracking pace, and spends a lot of time with people from clone wars. Again not brilliant writing but there's plenty of memorable scenes to keep your attention.

Season 3 really frustrated me. It started strong and then apparently forgot what it was doing, dropping interesting threads, bouncing between plots to the point that they all sapped each other's momentum, and then throwing in horrible filler episodes too. Some good bits here and there though.

Show is generally worth it for chopper, your top 3 droid.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The first Vader comic looks like such poo poo. Vader himself is ok, but literally everyone else?

It's a good comic though

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The Vader comic is generally really well written, gave us Dr Aphra, and it has the ugliest loving art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
All you need to say to poo poo on the show is is 'the dialogue is all super loving clunky'

Rebels is to me mostly okay but the big witless hammer plotting and writing frequently drag it down, and a less charitable critic could tear it apart on those grounds because lets be honest, it's not good.

CLone wars had some trash writing too but it had a level of imagination and scale elevating its episodes that rebels doesn't have the budget for. There's a lot to be said for seeing new ideas and rebels will have in a season what clone wars jammed into an arc.

• Locked thread