Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Did you make sure to turn your TV's motion smoothing off? That makes everything look worse, yet many new TVs seem to have it turned on by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Covok posted:

Yes, I was asking the Senate if they could pay for the Death Star. Yes, but, you got to see the picture here. This thing is bigly important. It's YUUGE! We need to front the cash then the outer systems will reimburse us. They're going to reimburse us! Don't let the lying crooked rebel media with their fake news trick you!
There's an entire Twitter account dedicated to this and it's pretty well executed. Emperor Trumpatine.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

i feel like you guys are presenting a lore that is too complex and detailed for a childrens cartoon
Can you elaborate? I tend to think the basics are easy to grasp but I'd be interested to hear another take.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

"All of it" is a great recommendation, but if that seems intimidating or if you're only interested in the cream of the crop, my essential episodes guide is linked in the OP of the thread. Can't go wrong no matter what with Clone Wars!

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

AP-5 continues to be the best.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I like that by stopping the timer on the bomb, they ended up speeding up the timer on Thrawn finding them.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Dave Syndrome posted:

Yeah, I had to watch that twice to make sure it was what I thought it was.
Normally I'm not the biggest fan of the Chopper voice effect - it sounds too close to DAVE FILONI literally saying "wahp waaahp wahp wahp waahp" into a microphone, but this one time it worked out nicely.
There's no way it's not Filoni, right?

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I have no particular love for the character, but I don't see how the Rebels version of Thrawn could inspire such red hot hate. He's practically a minor character, and he's barely done anything--which is its own complaint, but certainly nothing new for the antagonists in this series. He's also probably one of my favorite voice performances in the show.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the link, that was an interesting read. I also wonder if the Bendu has an actual physical form, or if he's more like the family from Mortis. Someone pointed out that Maul didn't acknowledge his presence, which seems weird.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

A bunch of the actors and other Lucasfilm people are really talking up tomorrow's episode. Sounds like we may get some darksaber history, and I'm excited to see how a Jedi will train someone without Force abilities.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

What would the other 4 in your list be? Just curious.
You didn't ask me, but my top five would be:
Twilight of the Apprentice
The Forgotten Droid
Rise of the Old Masters
Siege of Lothal
Trials of the Darksaber

I loved all the Vader appearances, and Forgotten Droid is the most underrated episode of the show. What're yours?

e: forgot to include this week's episode!

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

When all of our protagonists are original characters, it doesn't bother me a whole lot to have some wacky EU guest stars every now and then.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

I'm holding out the tiniest of hopes that they did this in order to fully capitalize on The Last Jedi hype leading up to and continuing from a surprise teaser reveal at or around the time of the Super Bowl.

Because otherwise, yeah, this blows.

I think it's more that they wanted to capitalize on Rogue One by putting out the Saw episodes soon after the movie. Otherwise the midseason break would've incorporated this extra month.

I think it's most likely that the Ep 8 trailer will hit within a week of the R1 blu ray release, same as the R1 trailer did after the Force Awakens home release.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I remember watching the season 2 episode where Hera tests out the B-wing and being flabbergasted that the music during the flight scene was just blatantly cribbed from The Rocketeer. Like, shamefully so. Then I did a bit of research and realized that Joe Johnston, the director of The Rocketeer, also worked as an effects artist on Return of the Jedi. He designed the B-wing. That's some quality referencing.
I never made that connection! Johnston also famously designed Boba Fett's armor for ESB.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

One area where Rebels tops Clone Wars for me is the music. Kevin Kiner has composed for both shows, but the music in Clone Wars often feels like ever-present wallpaper, whereas I think it's used more sparingly and artfully in Rebels.

I also think Kiner is allowed to stretch his legs more in Rebels. Everybody loves the star cluster music, and the Ahsoka vs. Vader theme is great too. Plus the Kanan/Sabine training theme! Can't wait to see what he comes up with for Maul vs. Obi-Wan.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

I never caught up with the latest season. :(
I'm also working terrible hours again.

Today a friend of mine texted me that they wanted to drunk binge Rebels. Hooray, huzzah, and other exclamations. This should be good!

You're in for a good time. I think this season plays particularly well when watched over a short period of time.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

tsob posted:

Lucas embraced fans and fan ideas more than perhaps any other creator, so it seems weird to find people accusing him of changing things only because they were popular.

Not only fan ideas but EU ideas when he liked them, too. See: naming the galactic capitol Coruscant and cameoing Aayla Secura and Quinlan Vos, etc. My understanding was that he fairly regularly checked out the comics, and apparently still does, given that he bought a bunch of the artwork from the recent Han Solo miniseries.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Four more episodes, if you count the double-length season finale as a single ep. It airs on March 25. Just in time for season four to be announced/previewed at the convention in early April!

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Good catch. I didn't recognized him without a loose chinstrap. He's too weird looking not to be someone specific.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

The official account just tweeted and deleted a broken link to a story confirming season four.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Moral support. It's a really tough shot!

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Who ever would've guessed a few months ago that we'd be seeing a lot of Dutch lately. Between this episode and Rogue One, that's two successful missions for Gold Leader.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's kind of amazing just how effective the single Tie Defender was. They were not even able to destroy it in the end. Just temporarily disable it.

Helps that Skerris from the Wedge episode was piloting it. The Red Baron!

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Covok posted:

I think Erza in the Darothmir episode pulled away from the Dark side. Like, I feel that was the entire point of the episode. You could argue they didn't do much with it, but I think that came from them deciding to put the focus on Sabine and a few others this season. It does come a bit unfocused, in hindsight, but I wonder how much of that came from being told they needed to do some Rogue One tying and if that ended up delaying episode writing. To elaborate, animation takes a long time and you need scripts in early. With the Rogue One rewrites and reshoots and the such, I wonder if that delayed their writing so they made more filler episodes than normal to buy time, episodes totally disconnected so they couldn't step on their tie-in shoes, so to speak.

I think the Rebels writers were lucky in that their chief tie-in with R1 was Saw, who, from what I've read, didn't change much over the course of the making of the movie.

As for Ezra and the dark side, I think that was primarily resolved in the season premiere when Kanan pulled him back into the light during his literal fall, and his status was reinforced when he later rejected Maul. It was all resolved a little quick for my tastes, but (as you're basically saying) I don't think it's really a dangling plot thread anymore.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Or Maul and Kenobi come to some sort of understanding.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

drunkill posted:

Obi-wan changed his stance to that of Qui-gon, this makes Maul try the same move he killed Qui-gon with.

This is kind of mindblowing. If figured the change of stance had some significance, but didn't pick up on exactly what it meant. Fits perfectly with the samurai fight aesthetic too.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Standout episodes focusing on characters created for Rebels include Rise of the Old Masters, Fire Across the Galaxy, Legends of the Lasat.

The longer I sit with Twin Suns, the more I like it, and not just for the samurai duel (side note: the fact that almost everybody here appreciates the duel makes me like this thread even more). Filoni is an outstanding director and he even makes the boilerplate "ship arriving at a planet" scenes look great.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I think it's a Mandalorian fighter, dating back to Maul's time running Deathwatch.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

To be fair, he did create a vast criminal syndicate on a whim one day before lunch. It's just that his old boss couldn't stand to see him succeed.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

You should watch some Clone Wars before you finish season two. There's even a handy guide in the OP!

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Chopper and Hera (at the very least) were there for the events of Rogue One.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

You've never heard of Pump Station 13? It's the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

I liked the "If you're so good, Thrawn, why don't you take prisoners?" angle. It's either classic imperial hubris or maybe even a case of Tarkin undermining someone he sees as a rival. Either way, it fits the characters and was a good excuse to create a situation where the Rebels could survive.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Filoni has hinted pretty heavily that it could happen.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Finished season 1. Show rocks

Did you watch Clone Wars? If not, it might be worth checking out before you jump into season two.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Teek posted:

Based on past celebrations and interviews after the seasons 3 finale, almost certainly. We may also get an announcement about what the next series will end up being from Filoni. He's been the head of animation for a year now, so we should finally get some idea what else he's been working on.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next show is kept under wraps until Rebels ends (presumably after next season), so as not to steal its thunder. But I'd love to be wrong!

Either way, I think there's a 99% chance of a season 4 trailer next week, and can't wait for that. We're finally getting to Clone Wars territory where they have enough assets to make the show really look great.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Great point. I'm surprised they aren't doing a convention next year. Doesn't there seem to be a huge market for it?

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I'm guessing the decrease to 15 episodes might be to maximize the budget for each of them. Otherwise Rebels doesn't have the money to do huge stuff each episode.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

The starship speed is 100% an aesthetic choice, same as the skinny saber blades. I think they're specifically aping the feel of Falcon vs. TIEs battle from late in episode IV. I agree it's tough to get used to after the speedy feel of Clone Wars.

There are plenty of things that Rebels' budget gets in the way of (hello crowd scenes), but I'm convinced it's absolutely not a factor in the speed of the space battles. In fact, I think space battles are one of the most budget-friendly parts of the show, and that's why I think a Rogue Squadron show has a chance of being the next big animation project.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

I'm not necessarily sure I agree with this, or at least there were some very strange choices made regarding space combat if it was true. Just look at the final battle this season - the actual capital ships spent most of the time just meandering near each other at point blank ranges with absolutely no fire exchanged whatsoever.
You've just described pretty much every Star Wars space battle, haven't you? It's always focused on the starfighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Plus it very purposefully highlighted Windu's insufferable Jedi arrogance, which I appreciated.

• Locked thread