Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Good premiere, I like how they're using Thrawn sparingly. I like the newish uniforms, it's nice to not be bombarded by the green/bright orange color scheme from the last two seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Of course, the real answer is Space Wizard Zatoichi is loving cool.

I hadn't even thought of that, that's awesome. It also reminds me of General Kota from The Force Unleashed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

General Kota is based on Zatoichi too. Freddie Prinz Jr. actually addresses this in a pretty cool way in a Q&A session, let me see if I can dig it up.

[edit] Can't seem to find it, its a group thing, Sam Witwer was there too. Basically IIRC FPJr says Kanan is basically drawing little to no inspiration from Kota, that they're both instead drawing from Zatoichi, but can see how young star wars fans who grew up and had Kota as their first introduction to the "blind swordsman" concept think Kanan is emulating Kota.

I'm aware of Zatoichi and how he was the inspiration for Kota, I was just noting the similarity between Kota and Kanan.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

DancinBrud posted:

I created that list! The episodes were created in non-chronological order. The list accounts for that, so if you watch them in my recommended order, you'll be watching them in the proper in-universe chronological order.

I never knew that was done by a goon! That list convinced me to give the show a second chance after writing it off halfway through the first season. Thanks dude.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I really hope Wedge shows up in more episodes. And I knew the other guy wouldn't be Fel, because isn't he (more or less) Wedge's age? He wouldn't be a hotshot squint pilot just yet.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 10, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It'd be interesting to see a Ghost-type ship done in live-action.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Never forget how Traviss once devoted an entire novel to Boba Fett teaching Jaina Solo how to stab her brother because it would be absolutely impossible to accomplish without ~* MANDO'A TRAINING *~

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I feel the same way about Chopper as I do cats; fun to watch and play with someone else's, but you couldn't pay me to have one of my own.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Finally caught up with the season, and man was that last episode full of gorgeous visuals.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think the Resistance is basically just what you see at the TFA base. The New Republic isn't willing to officially declare war on the First Order, so Leia scrounged together what she could from sympathizers and pilot defectors. It's a tiny operation.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This season has been really uneven for me, but the latest batch of episodes have been pretty great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

teagone posted:

[edit] Also, Obi-Wan's VA was totally on point. Really sounded like OT Alec Guinness :allears:

According to IMDB it's still James Arnold Taylor

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
After all the acrobatic helicopter lightsaber fights (which, don't get me wrong, I do enjoy), it was real drat refreshing to see an honest-to-god classic samurai cinema duel that's over in two moves.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

General Dog posted:

Yup, just came to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NNaj5YUxco

The reaction shots are the fans

If they ever make that Obi-Wan film, I hope it's just two hours of Ewan Mcgregor channeling the ghosts of Toshiro Mifune and Shintaro Katsu while trying to drink in peace at the cantina.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, if someone had told me in 1999 that two cartoon series would make Darth loving Maul a compelling character I'd have laughed in their face.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I wonder if Dodonna will have a larger role next season now that Sato is no more.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Medullah posted:

Spoilers for finale

So does this mean that Thrawn will continue to be a major antagonist? Nothing really happened, he's not trapped on the planet. The failure to capture the fleet can have it's blame placed on the others.

I hope so, if only because he's been the best antagonist on the series thus far and his continued presence will make EU-hating goons irrationally angry. I wonder if we might see the Emperor now that the rebel cells are organizing and forming what will become the Alliance.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'd love to see Talon show up in place of Hondo. I'd also expect to see Garm Bel Iblis since a) he's usually mentioned as a founding Rebellion member and b) it gives the show a way to introduce Corellia without shoehorning Han into the show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Zeb would likely be with Hera on Yavin. Probably Rex as well.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That article implies it was always meant to be a starship, they disguised it as a sky(sea?)scraper to cover construction and bugged out when the Empire took over Mon Cal.

I'm not sure if that's better or worse. :psyduck:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Will they be showing any season 4 stuff at Celebration? I'll be there, but I haven't decided if the Rebels panel was worth standing in line for.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Presumably Disney's D23 convention would fill the role next year for any big announcements.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Sitting in the Rebels panel. I'm going to watch the season 4 premiere and not tell you guys how it was.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Dave is such a troll, while the room was dark due to the trailer, he made a little change...

Everyone around me was more thrilled about that little bit than anything else.

Premiere was good, definitely lived up to Filoni's comments about a darker tone for the season.
It dealt with Kanan, Rau, Sabine, Chop, and Ezra rescuing Sabine's father from an imperial convoy on Mandalore. There's a fantastic chase sequence and Kanan gets his own Rogue One Vader moment (!!). The rescue is successful but while it's going on Sabine's mother and brother are engaged in a separate battle. Mando-Imp forces deploy a new weapon while Sabine has her mother on comms. By the time Sabine and co make it to the battle, the Mandos, including her family, have been literally disintegrated. Ends with the reveal that this is the weapon Sabine was working on before she left Mandalore.

That's all I've got, they left us on the cliffhanger and only aired part I.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I should probably clarify one thing about those spoilers:
Sabine's family is only implied to have been killed. You don't see the actual weapon and the armor Sabine sees at the end didn't look like the ornate plates her family wears. I could be wrong though, it's a quick shot and I was towards the back of the room.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

IronSaber posted:

Everyone loves Hot Kallus.

Kallus looked chunky but I couldn't tell if that was just his outfit or not

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

tsob posted:

The episodes he was with Mace Windu were pretty good too, and actually humanised the character a little.

The Temple of Doom homage? I saw that one for the first time the other day, and yeah, it wasn't that bad. Thinking of going back to Clone Wars and filling in the gaps while we wait for Rebels to return.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Go easy on CineD, they're brain-damaged.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Kennedy said they'd be announcing something late this summer. That lines up with the D23 expo in mid-July, so expect an announcement around then.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Aces High posted:

AAAHAHAHHHHAHAHAH WE FINALLY GET X-WINGS :neckbeard:

Likely Wedge and Hobbie in those X-Wings too :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm happy Trevorrow is gone, but I'm not sure I trust JJ to follow Rian Johnson because JJ's movies have no depth. Like the guy above said, they're popcorn movies. JJ is a fine, capable director that won't raise a fuss or get himself fired, but he's a boring pick. I expect big things from The Last Jedi because Rian is a fantastic director and writer, my biggest concern now is that IX will fail to satisfactorily resolve whatever TLJ sets up.

What I haven't seen mentioned in many articles about IX is that JJ's new co-writer is Chris Terrio of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League fame. :ironicat:

• Locked thread