Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

http://i.imgur.com/buYTaf7.gifv
Now airing Saturdays on DisneyXD, beginning September 24th at 8:30pm EST, with streaming available at WatchDisneyXD

LAST TIME, ON SEASON 2 OF STAR WARS REBELS: (Here's an official recap of Season 2, but to spare you all its cringe-worthy narration, here's a tl;dr with all the S3-relevant bits)
- Grand Moff Tarkin (Stephen Stanton) calls in Darth Vader (James Earl Jones) to deal with our heroes and he just, like, wrecks their poo poo to the extent that they're forced off the Season 1 locale of Lothal. They regroup with the Phoenix rebel cell, and, with former Jedi Ahsoka Tano (Ashley Eckstein) in tow, the team recruits new (old) allies like retired clone commander Rex (Dee Bradley Baker), Hera's freedom fighter dad Cham Syndulla (Robin Atkin Downes) and veteran pirate Hondo Ohnaka (Jim Cummings), in addition to meeting and defeating more members of the Empire's Inquisitorius. The rebels also acquire some new ships, like that carrier from Truce at Bakura and an orange, superlaser-firing B-Wing. It all comes to a head when a Force vision of Yoda (Frank Oz) tells Ezra Bridger (Taylor Gray), Kanan Jarrus (Freddie Prinze Jr), and Ahsoka to go to Malachor (of KotOR lore) in order to find a way of defeating the Sith. After helping to establish a temporary base for the Phoenix cell on the planet Atollon (aka planet of the giant McQuarrie spiders) they do so, finding an underground Sith temple. However, they almost instantly run into trouble in the form of more inquisitors and an older, enigmatic Darth Maul (Sam Witwer), who proceeds to lure Ezra over to the Dark Side with promises of power, before blinding Kanan and escaping in a TIE. Vader shows up with the intent of claiming the temple for the Emperor, but ends up locked in a stalemate with Tano, who is now aware of his true identity as her old master. Both are sealed within when the temple's superweapon (because naturally, it has one) overloads due to an incident with a Sith holocron that Ezra now possesses, though the two are seen walking free post-explosion, with Ahsoka's fate left a great deal more ambiguous than Vader's. Probably has something to do with that drat bird.

YUP, SOUNDS LIKE STAR WARS :rolleyes: :cheeky:, WHAT'S UP WITH SEASON 3?
- Well, the big hullabaloo this time out is that they're introducing EU darling Grand Admiral Thrawn (Lars Mikkelson) to Rebels and the canon Star Wars universe at large. Even around here, he's pretty well liked, so it's probably a good portent for the season as a whole. On top of that, there appears to be an increased focus on providing some sorely needed character development for the main cast, like the above-pictured Sabine Wren (Tiya Sircar), who is rumored to be getting more in touch with her Mandalorian heritage this season. Overall, positive outlooks abound!

WAIT, IS THAT A ROGUE ONE REFERENCE IN THE TITLE?!? AAAAAAA WHAT COULD IT MEAN?!?!
- Given that the show is still chronologically 2 years out from Rogue One and ANH at this point, probably nothing; I just liked the thread title (and thanks to PassTheRemote for that, by the way). Also, given that we will likely be mid-season when the film comes out, it's somewhat appropriate.

WHY THE ART TAG?
- It's a Thrawn thing.

ANY SUPPLEMENTARY STUFF I SHOULD CHECK OUT?
- The continually-excellent Rebels Recon, a companion series to each week's Rebels episode; features entertaining and insightful commentary from the series' creative leads, as well as amusing banter between host Andi Gutierrez and the Lucasfilm Story Group's own Pablo Hidalgo.
- StarWars.com's episode guides for the series, which contain high-res concept art, trivia, and selected pieces from Kevin Kiner's musical score.
- This goon-made list of essential Clone Wars episodes if you feel out of the loop due to all the characters from that series that are continuing to pop up in this one.
- Past threads for Seasons 1 and 2 of Rebels, as well as the last thread we had for The Clone Wars.
- [this space reserved for the thing I inevitably forgot]

Finally, Chopper's a dick. He also has a rocket in his butt

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Man, that thing.

Here's hoping that it makes a return eventually, it was the swaggest TIE fighter. :cool:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

*googles* That is... actually kind of surprising that we don't have interior blueprints for the Ghost yet, considering it is a "hero" ship and all.

But it's probably a closet or access to maintenance tubes or something. Or Chopper's Playdroid stash, that fiend :v:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Hey, great minds think alike, etc. :)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Oh hey, they announced a soundtrack release for Seasons 1 and 2; personally, I find the music a bit hit-or-miss when it strives to be original and not just re-orchestrating Williams themes, but that string piece from last season's Lasat episode was pretty good, so I might take a dip on these.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

New clip with Bendu, voiced by Tom Baker.

Interesting that Ashla and Bogan are popping up here, wouldn't be surprised if Tython got name-dropped as well. Also liking the ambiguity about the Force that they're introducing with this character, reminds me of KotOR 2 a bit.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 15, 2016

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

New clip & article with Thrawn being Thrawn-y.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Bundle o' clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGqNqseSg4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUdV-UvSKHk

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Huh, guess they're compromising between Season 1's "releasing the episodes an entire FLIPPIN week before air date" and Season 2's "are you guys insane, just put them up at air time" streaming strategies with some sort of Saturday-morning-web-cartoon strategy. Not that I'm complaining. :dance:

edit: And yeah, the episode was a good, solid start to things; I like how Thrawn's "This is not the Rebel fleet" with subsequent exposition from Hera is the show's finally saying that yeah, there's a bigger rebellion going on than our little band of idiots. Also, here's hoping that the Bendu makes a reappearance at a later date. :allears:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 24, 2016

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Rebels Recon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtgm8dAq2bU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Maul's gonna get his Old Wounds action on, seems like. Can't wait!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Good ep overall, though my nitpicky side guffawed at the corvette showing up at the end miraculously free of all the giant holes blown in it by the Interceptor earlier in the episode.

Also: "Commander Sato, may I present Wedge Antilles and *awkward pause* Hobbie" :3:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Hah, good eye.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

If anything, the Rebels Hammerhead has more in common with SWTOR's take on the design, the Thranta:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I mean, they are Corellian-made.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I have to admit, I had the exact same "action figures" thought that Pablo did at the battle droids and Imperials duking it out towards the end of the episode. Really cool moment.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Pretty sure I heard Pryce order Konstantine to contact the nearest Imperial outpost in range of Agamar and have them send forces to deal with the rebels, hence why we saw only shuttles and transports.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

Rewatch the scene where they take the command room and start having a discussion regarding who actually won the Clone Wars. When Zeb mentions "Because they're here" in regards to the Empire winning, the camera looks through the window (monitor?) at what has arrived, there's a Star Destroyer.

Well, oops.

Can't say the thread's lacking for confusion at the moment! :blush:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Reminder that there's no new episode today; don't be like me rushing to WatchDisneyXD craving a taste of Renegade Imperial Mandalorians Being Cool And Stuff, only to be met with bitter disappointment! :)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Huh, haven't been any new posts in the thread in a while, wonder what-

:stare:

Anyway, a new episode's out, kinda bummed that jet-pack Sabine seems to be a one-off thing given how obvious they were about the damage to it at the end.

That chase (and the concept-based armors, and the returning character from the comics) was still pretty cool, though. :keke:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

They share some similarities (mainly the center-oriented cockpit and general flight profile) but I get the impression that the Ghost is definitely more of a "heavy freighter" than the 2100 is.

vs

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Not today, bootlicker!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Anybody else hear a bit of a Raiders of the Lost Ark homage in the music for this week's episode?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

:staredog:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

boop

They changed the title of the gallery, probably because "Behind-the-Scenes" likely sees more clicks than "Concept Art"

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Annnnd we've reached the stretch of the season where I start forgetting that new episodes are indeed airing. Feeling sort of bad about it too, as today's episode was HONDO-TASTIC :dance:

Also, hey AP-5, that guy's cool

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

I mean, it's possible they still are Dark Troopers. We don't really know the back story. Maybe the program got scrapped and the remaining prototypes were relegated to defending freighters.

Disney marketing is intentionally alluding to Dark Forces in promoting it (I think the Twitter announcement for the episode said something like "it's about to get Dark in here"), not to mention the fact that the visual design can't be a mistake. This is a sideways thing of restoring stuff to canonicity just like Thrawn, Malachor, and the YT-2400.

Sammus posted:

My first thought was Dark Troopers also, they definitely have the look.

Coffeehitler posted:

Yeah, they definitely have the look of the Mark 1s.

This week's Rebels Recon outright states Dark Forces as inspiration for the sentry droids; they were originally going to be the wee probe droids that we've seen time and again on the series, but those were deemed "too boring" and were replaced by the Phase One-alikes.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

This is a discussion better suited for the CD hellhole thread, I think.

Meanwhile, Thrawn's pulling some tricks out of the "Bond Villain" handbook: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_bweDG6t1U

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 30, 2016

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Image from the upcoming ep:

:swoon:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm hoping for a bit of a cat-and-mouse scenario, given that Thrawn obviously knows what's up, and so does Kallus. The former literally came out and said that he wants to exploit the latter, who knows he can't simply bolt without endangering the Rebels.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 4, 2016

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AoQR1wXTdc

Kevin Kiner with the oh-so-timely Obi-Wan/Satine love theme cue :monocle:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 6, 2016

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I mean.

It is.

What I'm wondering is if it's going to simply be a visual reference or something more substantial.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Reminds me of one of the many kit-bashed background ships in the fleet shots of ESB:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

tribbledirigible posted:

New ep is up on XD site and I wonder how much of the one shot comic they're going to use, considering that was supposed to happen when Luke was a baby.

Can't really imagine much else being used besides the general concept of the comic itself.

What's weird to me is that they're setting up this search for Tatooine plot when Bail Organa totally knows where he is, as does Maul apparently (I mean what else is "It ends where it begins" supposed to indicate). Where are they going with this?

Also, count me as someone who (Dark Disciple spoilers)was kind of hoping for a Ventress ghost appearance considering she was laid to rest in the Nightsister cave. Not really surprised that didn't happen, for various reasons, but still.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 10, 2016

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

A few details on the upcoming few episodes, but the most important non-spoilery bit is that the season resumes on January 7th, 2017. Not a long wait!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Bad Moon posted:

We don't know they made it out :(

On the bright side, the Phantom's missing from the docking port from the moment they jump in. So it's even more possible that not all of the crew was onboard at the time of the battle.

One question that has been rolling around in my mind, however, is how the hell they are going to depict this in the show when we eventually get to ANH time? There's no way they have the budget without seriously compromising on the artistic side.

Tying into my earlier supposition, I'm putting my money into a bunch of the main cast on an adventure via the Phantom while the rest fly the Ghost into battle off-screen. A cop-out definitely, but a realistic one.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Well okay then (post-break episode character spoilers)

Going from appearance alone it looks like they're perhaps sticking closer to the TCW characterization of Saw, but it's worth mentioning that he's missing the respirator. Maybe something happens down on Geonosis that A) injuries him enough to require one and B) drives him completely flipping crazy as to match with his R1 depiction.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 17, 2016

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

New featurette and article about Saw Gerrera in Rebels.

Pretty cool that they were able to get Whitaker to come back and voice him.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, the R1 Visual Guide rather explicitly hints at some rough stuff happening to Saw on Geonosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auspu9FfOUg

:magical:

I.. I never knew I needed this until this very moment.

• Locked thread