Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upN-7ALj2OU

Interesting to hear mention of a coordinated attack by multiple Rebel cells; Rogue One seems to imply that the Scarif assault is the first such attempt at a group strike. That said, I'm wondering if Thrawn's involvement may hint at a less fortuitous outcome in this instance, and may explain why Scarif is considered the first major victory for the assembled Rebellion (and why the Quasar isn't at Scarif, but the Ghost is).

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

One of the more worrying shots of the trailer:

Chop no :ohdear:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

So I guess (new episode spoilers)the whole "Saw getting his lungs hosed up on Geonosian pesticide" story beat (which is hinted at in the R1 visual guide) happens... later, then?

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 7, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

She was an Admiral when she appeared in the Kanan comic (the framing story of which takes place around the time of Rebels' 1st season).

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

That's the Legends description, though (as evidenced by the TFU reference).

Here's the one from the Canon page:

Wookieepedia posted:

The Rebel Alliance starbird was a symbol of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. The flight helmets of the Rebel X-wing pilots were adorned with the starbird logo.[1] Nearly thirty years after the Battle of Endor, the Resistance adopted the same emblem.

Interestingly:

Wookieepedia posted:

A similar design of the Alliance starbird symbol also appears in Star Wars Rebels as a personal signature of a Mandalorian artist Sabine Wren,[6] and was designed by Chris Glenn.[7] No formal connection has been established between the two emblems in Star Wars canon, therefore this article treats both as separate symbols.

It doesn't say it there, but the R1 Visual Guide definitely has a few pilot helmets that are adorned with the Wren starbird, and points it out as such.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 12, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I think a lot of Thrawn's viability as a good villain hinges on the outcome of his big plan to expose and destroy the Rebels; if the main cast ends up escaping in the end with minimal losses ("minimal" being, in this instance, possibly the Quasar Fire and some of the fleet), then it essentially defangs him in a style not at all dissimilar to what happened with Kallus and the Inquisitors.

To avoid that, I have an inkling that Bendu's going to kick the bucket (I mean, he's a mentor archetype and everything). There's also a moderate chance of Sato biting it (pairs well with the ep with his brother's kid earlier in the season) and a slight possibility of Kanan or Zeb, the latter of which would probably piss me off because it'd feel like wasted potential.

Sabine's gotta live because she's got an ongoing arc, Ezra because something something audience surrogate, the rest because of Rogue One.

inb4 touching AP-4 death scene

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don't see Bendu kicking the bucket because I'm not sure Bendu physically exists at all.

I don't particularly see it as a death achieved through conventional means (like an orbital bombardment, or something) but rather something more innately-sacrificial and mystical like Ahsoka's apparent descent into the underworld.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 19, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yep, if anything, this episode makes it straight-up heinous that we have to wait an entire month for the next one; it's easily one of the best of the show's entire run.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeeeeeeup :(

At the very least, it's a direct continuation of today's episode, and not filler.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Prequel comic.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm holding out the tiniest of hopes that they did this in order to fully capitalize on The Last Jedi hype leading up to and continuing from a surprise teaser reveal at or around the time of the Super Bowl.

Because otherwise, yeah, this blows.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

English titles and German descriptions of the last 5 episodes of the season; Google-translate at your own peril!

Interesting that they appear to be getting Maul/Kenobi out of the way relatively early on; I was fairly confident that it'd serve as more of an epilogue to this season. Both options are still tertiary in a narrative sense, I suppose.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 8, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Finally, a light at the end of this hiatus-filled tunnel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut6yrlvDSvo

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Geothermal vents. It's always geothermal vents.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

A new show announcement at Celebration seems like a fairly-easy bet, though I'd put more money on it being set in a reimagined Old Republic era rather than post-RotJ. Season 4 is most definitely ending at Scarif, though.

Also that Sabine/Gar fight was the essence of :slick:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 18, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

On the flip-side, it's pretty great that when Thrawn finally does realize it, it's in the Thrawn-iest way possible.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3xiaHAcVVU

Wonder if we'll get to hear the speech, it's been a part of established (and Legends) canon for a while now.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Also, Ghorman Massacre reference right at the outset.

Wonder if Tarkin lands a ship on a bunch of people in this one too.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Get the GOG version though, as that's the only one to include all 3 versions (original DOS, collector's DOS, and Windows CD) of the game. Same goes for X-Wing.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

ShineDog posted:

I don't know I agree on the reasons but this show really hasn't been great this season. It's meandering from plot to plot with no real urgency, the writing has just been clunky, plots have been built around character asspulls (Sabines out of nowhere crisis of self which Kanan talked about like it had always been a big thing with her) and the always kinda thin characterisation is barely existent right now.

I'd even take the heavy handed Era's lesson of the week from s1 over this season's Ezra does.. a thing I guess? I had high hopes with the darkside Ezra plot but it's barely moved.

As a counterpoint to the bolded, Sabine's inner conflict in relation to her past has been referenced as far back as Season 1, when she got all *trust issues* on Hera in that episode with the abandoned Republic base. Even went as far to (vaguely) mention her sordid history with the Empire.

I definitely agree that the show could benefit from a tighter focus on characterization - the training episode is evidence enough of the benefits of that - but I can't really recall any unearned character moments, or at least, none that I haven't been able to justify in some manner.

Really am hoping that something comes from ambiguous-morals Ezra at some point, though.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Filler is as filler does, though AP-5's little dittie with the space pigeons definitely ranks up there in terms of favorite Rebels moments. :cheeky:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Multiple impressions from people with screeners of "Twin Suns" seem to indicate that it's some sort of emotional, bring-tissues tour de force, which I honestly wasn't expecting given the premise. Going to be a long week regardless.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

radlum posted:

FWIW there are very spoilery clips of the episode in YouTube; I saw them as recommendations for that youtube video posted above.

Yep apparently the episode dropped early on a few cable on-demand services, so watch out y'all

I know what happens :stare:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Using "Force Theme/Binary Sunset" over the end and the credits was great, and reminds just how amazing a composer John Williams is

Yep, that was a pleasant little surprise. You start the Binary Sunset cue, you best let it finish. :colbert:

Also, this Pablo tweet from earlier should provide a bit of insight as to what they were going for in regards to the climax of the episode:

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/843105374601465856

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 18, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Gonz posted:

Probably sometime in the fall, if previous seasons premieres are an indicator.

The end of the last Rebels Recon gave it a "later this year" so yeah, fall it is. We'll probably get a more specific date at Celebration in a few weeks.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Not to mention the San Diego Comic Con.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Rad-rear end animatic from the Filoni panel at Celebration that just wrapped up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbhMNFDvQM0

Alsoooo

ROTJ Rex is REAL

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That's quite the moustache.

Yeah, I couldn't quite figure out what was going on with the guy's face... area?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

There's another today near the end of today as well

Also, I don't know if anyone cares but here's the Last Jedi trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4I68XVPzQ

something something BENDU WAS RIGHT

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Ugggggh and it looks like it's going to be streamed on a delay if at all.

BIG MEAN JEERRRRRRK :argh:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Here we go.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, he's easily my favorite of the cast as far as "getting it" goes.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Season 4 is the last one. At least Filoni's ending it on his own terms this time!

edit: And the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b7GAhnVwhA

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Everyone around me was more thrilled about that little bit than anything else.

Premiere was good, definitely lived up to Filoni's comments about a darker tone for the season.
It dealt with Kanan, Rau, Sabine, Chop, and Ezra rescuing Sabine's father from an imperial convoy on Mandalore. There's a fantastic chase sequence and Kanan gets his own Rogue One Vader moment (!!). The rescue is successful but while it's going on Sabine's mother and brother are engaged in a separate battle. Mando-Imp forces deploy a new weapon while Sabine has her mother on comms. By the time Sabine and co make it to the battle, the Mandos, including her family, have been literally disintegrated. Ends with the reveal that this is the weapon Sabine was working on before she left Mandalore.

That's all I've got, they left us on the cliffhanger and only aired part I.

:magical: is all I've really got in response to that

Also IGN says only 15 episodes for this season; bet we'll still get a too-long hiatus?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'd be surprised if that isn't how it goes down with him.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Ahsoka's dead, they said

The topps cards don't mean anything, they said

PST posted:

I wasn't sure if they'd make it to 5 seasons, but it's irritating that this is only 15 episodes, especially as it's (apparently) the highest rated show on the Disney XD channel.

On the bright side, Season 4 is "more one continuous story arc all the way to the end than it's ever been, in anything we've done - even Clone Wars - where each story really fits together."

So hopefully no filler.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 16, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you want a series where battleship to battleship fights are the crux of the space combat you probably want Legend of Galactic Heroes more than Star Wars

Though albeit, also a series where lone fighters are repeatedly shown taking down capital ships.

Still, watch LoGH; it's sheer, unadulterated sci-fi goodness with a heaping helping of SPACE POLITICS (but unlike SW's, actually kind of discernible and gripping) layered on for good measure.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Sad King Billy posted:

Just skip the theme tunes. They will give you a bad impression.

I think they're good for establishing tone, but it's still a good idea to just outright skip Season 4's opening theme. A really, really good idea. :yikes:

Also don't skip any TCW episodes you weaklings

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

teagone posted:

Someone in the CineD Star Wars thread said Rebels is the worst Star Wars. I almost got triggered.

It was in response to somebody linking the Kenobi/Maul fight, too. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Nope, but here's hoping for some nice breadcrumbs between now and then. :)

• Locked thread