Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cross-Section posted:

New clip with Bendu, voiced by Tom Baker.

Interesting that Ashla and Bogan are popping up here, wouldn't be surprised if Tython got name-dropped as well. Also liking the ambiguity about the Force that they're introducing with this character, reminds me of KotOR 2 a bit.

That sounded loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

This and the TIE uglies that were mixed with X-Wings are some of the worst parts of the EU. Really I think the only old EU I really liked was the Dark Horse stuff. The books were all awful.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I just watched the trailer again. If you look at the scene with the green force fart ghost in the holocron, I think there's basically no doubt it's Kreia. There's also the thing with the eyes.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

enigmahfc posted:

This is probably a far-left field take and more than likely wrong, but maybe Ezra's 'twin suns' comment was actually 'twin sons', and the 'he's alive' Maul was referring to might be his own brother, Savage Oppress. Kind of ties into Maul's question for hope. But yeah, that's probably all wrong.

It's definitely in reference to Kenobi, I think Filoni actually directly said he wanted to do Old Wounds somewhere. How they'll involve the crew of the Ghost without making them feel shoehorned in is the question.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They're an older model. Apparently the Awing is now a Kuat Systems Engineering design that lost to the TIE Fighter in a competition to be the Imperial next gen fighter. So they sold it on the civilian market instead. It has heavier shields and armor and heavier laser cannons compared to the Endor-era A-wing. I'm guessing the Rebels learned a lot from losing all these early A-wings and significantly modified them into the Endor version.

I hate this new "canon" exactly because of poo poo like this: it doesn't just throw out the stuff before and after the established movies, it throws out the established backstory of the movies as well and paints over it needlessly.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh really? What established backstory from the movies is that? In RotJ you see A-Wings and B-Wings and no facts about them. No one on screen says anything about those fighters, they're just there (and barely there in the case of the B-wing).

Rebels Recon. We're getting more Ryloth in the next episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6em1j3nQcSk

I missed those speeder bike SFX. :allears:

You know the A-wing is a fast interceptor. I'm saying supporting media was built up around these movies and was largely blessed by Lucas and they've decided they're going to reinvent the wheel by making the A-wing something that predates the X-wing rather than cutting-edge tech. It doesn't show up until ROTJ. It doesn't make any sense.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I get really frustrated with stupid lazy story things like Ezra having a guy dead to rights and not getting his saber back, all of the villains being completely incapacitated and them not taking them out, Ezra having his saber a few feet away and not force pulling it to himself. These are all such easy and stupid oversights that point to lazy writing.

And you know I get that people want the Jedi stuff the most and stuff that's going to advance the A-story and reveal mysteries of the force and crap like that, but there are other interesting elements of Star Wars and they just don't do a good job of making them compelling and fun to watch. All of the episodes that aren't Jedi mysticism feel like filler.

I'd like a non-Jedi story that actually had some dramatic tension of its own. The Thrawn stuff on Ryloth was very close. And maybe it's because they only have 30 minutes and nothing terribly complex can happen in that amount of time.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My canon consists of G-canon, the Dark Horse stuff, and the games that didn't suck. There is no other canon. This new stuff is the apocrypha.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I remember a really weird comic that I think ran in Star Wars Insider where this guy agreed to take care of a lighthouse for the Imperials, and at night these beautiful women show up but they're actually horrible monsters that turn dudes to stone. Anyway the guy survives somehow and ends up telling his friend the wolfman about it back at the cantina.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ShineDog posted:

I like how we all pegged that as a new dark trooper from the trailer.

I mean, it's possible they still are Dark Troopers. We don't really know the back story. Maybe the program got scrapped and the remaining prototypes were relegated to defending freighters.

Disney marketing is intentionally alluding to Dark Forces in promoting it (I think the Twitter announcement for the episode said something like "it's about to get Dark in here"), not to mention the fact that the visual design can't be a mistake. This is a sideways thing of restoring stuff to canonicity just like Thrawn, Malachor, and the YT-2400.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Shbobdb posted:

New canon is still canon and is still a loving toxic idea.

No gods, no masters.

I'd like to shoot you out of a canon

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

kingcom posted:

Yeah theres lots of stuff people assume is part of the OT but really is completely separate from it. Like Sith never gets mentioned up as a thing and jedi use lightsabers because vader has one but the emperor doesnt. There are jedi and the emperor who was just something else. Also the idea of a light and dark side of the force isn't really what is talked about in Empire as its more 'the force' and the dark side. I think luke mentions the light in terms of whats stronger but yoda kinda never refers to it in those terms. Its just the force and a perversion of the force.

Also I am perpetually flabbergasted that people dont hear han solo talking about kessel runs and parsecs think hes giving a fact and not just trying to talk a mean game to get more money.

Prior to the prequels, as a kid, we always talked about Vader and the Emperor being Dark Jedi. I think that comes from Jedi Knight and Jerec and all that. It's also used in KOTOR to describe some of Malak's goons with the bandanas and hoods you run into on Tatooine and elsewhere, which I thought was kinda cool.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I just realized they retconned Ventress from being a Rattataki to being Dathomiri...along with Maul. So they're the same species. Apparently different groups of people can't live on a planet without literally being from there and being the same species. Everything the Clone Wars introduced having to do with Dathomir was dumb as poo poo. I've hated most of the new canon stuff but latter day story decisions to do with existing EU material were terrible.

I mean, am I wrong? Read the wiki article on Maul and soak in all the mental gymnastics going on to reconcile his like, 80 different origins. EU writers didn't pull him being Zabrak out of their rear end, that's something that had to come from Lucas. And then he's like, "uh, well no actually he's from Dathomir I guess because we want to incorporate the Nightsisters. And so is Ventress. They're literally the same species have I never mentioned that?" So the article is like WELL HE'S A DATHOMIRI DESCENDED FROM ZABRAKS WHO CAME FROM RATTATAK :wtc:

I did like that they gave Maul a little more nuance this time out. It really felt like his plea for Ezra to be his friend was genuine. I wish Star Wars did more to humanize Dark Siders and characterize them less as demons who are always out to trick and betray you.

Can't wait for Maul to go straight back to square one running headfirst into Kenobi's lightsaber with essentially no character growth.

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 11, 2016

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DancinBrud posted:

Not sure if anything matters less to that story than if Ventress and Maul are the same species.

Good episode yesterday! I like Maul's creepy portrait of Satine. Wondering if he just wants to kill Kenobi, or if he wants to team up with him for revenge on Palpatine before killing him.

I don't get why he feels the need to literally kill him in order to satisfy his lust for revenge when before he was cool to just throw him in jail after killing his girlfriend. I mean if a guy chopped me in half and by extension removed my dick and balls (Zabrak have nards?) I'd hunt him to the end of the galaxy, but it just feels like his continued obsession doesn't match up with the character's prior motivations. Literally nothing other than being chopped in half is on Kenobi. And after Sidious chumped him, killed his brother, threw him in space jail, destroyed his criminal empire, and then killed his mom too; you'd think most of his ire would be directed at him instead.

I guess the washed up bad guy finding redemption is a tired trope. I'd like to see a slightly more humanistic, slightly less cackling madman portrayal of Maul though. What if he was hunting down Kenobi to apologize because it was the last step in his 12-step rageaholics program?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm pretty sure it was just a bunch of Zabrak immigrants who lived on Dathomir so yeah you're wrong?

According to the wiki it's canon that all the inhabitants of Dathomir are Zabrak/Human hybrids. All the men have horns and tattoos, all the women are pale with tats and don't have horns. Take it up with them not me.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

MichiganCubbie posted:

Maybe it rhymes, like poetry.

poo poo, what did that George Lucas hack ever make that was any good anyway? AM I RIGHT GUYS? That's why we're still going to see every two-bit spinoff and cash in Disney can crap out because George Lucas was no fuckin' good.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus the internet is just a giant pit of stupid.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Just saw it. It picks up, but yeesh that first act and a half is rough. I think they shot themselves in the foot opting not to have a crawl because it could have provided a lot of the exposition those short, messy scenes at the beginning did. Would have given the rest of the movie more from to breathe. It did an excellent job with the action and a terrible job with almost everything but the droid's dialogue.

Also was that supposed to be Bast Castle? Pretty funny that Krennic did the equivalent of timing up at somebody's house when they don't have pants on.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Narcissus1916 posted:

Its pretty easy to simply imagine the show killing off Kanaan (dude's been marked for death since episode 1) and maybe Zeb. The rest of the crew will go on some magical mcguffin hunt that will conveniently keep them away for the length of the original trilogy.

I heard they were talking about ending it after three seasons and switching focus. I absolutely hope they commit to killing all Rebel aligned Jedi prior to ANH though. And after watching Sicario last night I feel like the stuff about Benecio del Toro playing Ezra might be true. Killing Kanan is easy enough, but they can't kill both because it would be too dark; so at least one has to either switch sides, disappear, or be captured. Or they could go the completely retarded route and have light-side Force wielders running around at the same time the original trilogy is being all grim about "the last of the Jedi."

The thing about the new canon is this: it does a really good job of providing neat fan-servicy stuff like showing Bast Castle and Vader going to town on a squad of Rebels, gratuitous extended space and ground battles, etc. but it just doesn't seem to "get" Star Wars. Filoni's stuff is the best remaining by far because it's continuing a team and tradition with reverence to Lucas and the original material. A lot of this new stuff feels like enthusiasts jumping in and being able to do cool stuff they had always imagined and that other fans find awesome, but not having the knowledge or respect for the lore (and not having this stressed by Disney), so that it feels like a fan film all the time. And a lot of the heart and point of the movies seems to be lost, because there isn't this overarching vision of what the movie wants to say, other than "hey I'm a Star Wars movie."

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Test Pattern posted:

The inquisitors seem to mostly be on baby-snatching duty and hunting non-jedi sensitives at this point. It was made abundantly clear that inquisitors (other than maybe the Grand Inquisitor) aren't real threats to people with actual Jedi training.

I'd be far more satisfied with that explanation. It kinda rubs me the wrong way that Vader wasn't personally hunting every remaining Jedi down. Like what else did he have to do? Also I know Vader is a resource best used sparingly but after Rogue One I'd love to see him get his own solo, maybe in the style of a horror movie monster.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

What arc would he have over than Vader travels the galaxy, murders everyone.

Vitamin P posted:

What arc would he need other than Vader travels the galaxy, murders everyone.

Like I said, like a horror movie monster or the Terminator. We follow a bunch of sappy nobodies, maybe one's a Jedi driven to questionable moral choices, and we watch as Vader completely kicks their poo poo in. They run, some even fight, but nothing stops him and he just keeps showing back up to wreck dudes.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Moon posted:

Everyone writer making their special snowflake Jedi being able to survive Order 66 and the subsequent Purge was and is dumb

Someone said something once about the fact that Obi-wan chose Tatooine was the reason Vader couldn't sense him, the trauma of his childhood slavery and his mother's death caused him to avoid it physically and mentally, creating a blind spot. Everyone else he was able to either sense or track down. Guess it doesn't explain Yoda unless you go with the dumb "Dark Jedi was killed here creating a Dark Side nexus" explanation.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

banned from Starbucks posted:

Tatooine: Has sand - triggered for life

Mustafar: Best friend chops off your last 3 limbs. Almost died, permanently disfigured for life. Place where (he believes)his wife died. - Makes his new house there

I also think Bast Castle being on Mustafar is extremely stupid and flies in the face of the existing characterization of Vader. That doesn't invalidate the idea of avoidance due to trauma though.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If you're worried about the implications of Kanan and Ezra being alive circa ANH, just remember that Star Wars ended when Lucas stopped making them and that these stories are all stupid fanfiction.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

jng2058 posted:

The new explanation is that they're an older fighter that the Rebels stop using once they get X-Wings. Once the Empire introduces the high speed TIE Interceptor, the Rebels pull the old A-Wings out of storage, juice the engines at the cost of shields and firepower, and re-introduce them as high speed interceptors of their own just in time for Endor.

It's a loving dumb nucanon retcon to solve a problem that didn't exist.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Actually according to the new canon, IIRC, there were about 12-15 SSD produced, with one of the last ones left going down over Jakku.

Like Tagge says in the Vader comic though, imagine how many SSDs could've been built with the resources put into the Death Star?

If the Death Star was ever what it was supposed to be though, however many SSDs would have been pointless. It's a weapon that can destroy entire planets before you can mount any kind of defense against it, and will kill a capital ship of any size or strength. It really was the fictional equivalent of a nuke, collateral damage and all.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, the Sith spirits don't actually have to be sentient apparitions as much as they could just be strong emotional imprints on the Force as a result of their negative emotions. Or holocrons that store/simulate consciousness, similar to the one on Malachor.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Right, but they shouldn't have let her even get her hand behind her back to draw it. The implication being that they hate their bitch commander and maybe wouldn't mind her biting it.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Rocksicles posted:

I think you're way over thinking that small thing.

Not my position, just explaining what the other guy was saying.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The specific way the Fetts were made not Mandalorian in a contrived throwaway bit of exposition is kind of a tell that it was Lucas being petty and putting a hole in an EU origin for a character that had become more popular and well-known than his own world building. Same thing with Moriband.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Look, I'm not saying any of the Mandalorian poo poo was ever good. They're basically watered down Klingons. I'm just saying Lucas has a definite track record for being extremely petty about stuff that fans were passionate about, and it's funny that he went out of his way to do it in the most overt and dickish way possible.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
This episode played out a lot like a really good antag round on SS13.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Colonial Air Force posted:

It was one of the first problems I had with the prequels.

Almost certainly.

I mean it's a really stupid thing to do in all honesty. A subtle change like that in a dataset is presumably not hard to spot if you already have robots and spaceships and holograms.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

I don't see why they would. Keeping it as is makes a callback to Lothal and, honestly, it would be weird if they suddenly changed it to an ocean planet or a volcano planet.

I hope it's as explicit a reference to KOTOR as possible.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

I can certainly see the Battle of Scarif depleting the Fleet that was at Yavin so that's why there was just fighters, and lots of ground troops.

Also, didn't the destruction of the first Death Star bring in a lot more support to the rebels? By destroying the ulimate symbol of Imperial power, it showed that the Rebels were more than they seemed, and may have a chance.

It's also because the Death Star was determined to be specifically vulnerable to fighter attack and as we saw with the DSII in Jedi could easily vaporize capital ships without being threatened by them. And even up until Revenge of the Sith they hadn't figured out how to film capital ship battles that didn't just involve fighters, so there are conveniently only fighters in the first movie. RotJ's story was actually really creative in making the battle interesting by contriving a scenario that played to their strengths and covered up the weaknesses of the VFX technology.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DancinBrud posted:

Or Maul and Kenobi come to some sort of understanding.

I saw some growth in Maul in his last appearance. It seemed like he actually wanted a friend. I definitely think he's operating outside of the Sith paradigm at this point, even if it's left a lasting mark on him and he has some lingering anger/trust/evil issues.

Consider also that from his point of view Kenobi might be the reason he lost Palp's favor, even though Palp was the abusive father he couldn't stop wanting his approval.

We as the audience know his anger is misplaced but he might not see it that way despite the fact that he seems to bear a grudge against the Sith now for what happened to his brother, Dathomir, etc.

Ultimately though I think it would be hugely satisfying for Maul to lay down his arms of his own accord and make peace with Kenobi rather than have to be persuaded.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Il Federale posted:

Wow, that was pretty anti-climactic.

Yeah it was super lame and devoid of any real character development for anyone. It's like they took lesson of the week and brought it to a whole new level of lameness.

Maul's end reminds me of the scene from Rushmore where Max Fischer gets his rear end kicked by the Scottish kid and then says to his former friend (who now hates him) "we got 'im Dirk, we got 'im."

I'm trying to think of a way to read what happened and what he said as deep/insightful/tragic/meaningful, but all I'm coming up with is lazy, bad writing.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

Cannon is that Kyber crystals are inherently light side, and that in order to use them Sith have to use their force prowess to dominate them, which turns them red

Man am I sick of this nucanon Kyber crystal crap. It's like they saw the word once and couldn't stop using it. Oversimplifying the universe makes it less interesting. Not all crystals have to be the same. It's not an interesting spin to assert that the Death Star uses the same crystals. The specific name doesn't have to be repeated in every source of media ad nauseum.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like they were pretty explicit with this, but...

Bendu disappeared before the shot, he didn't pull an Obi-wan and disappear as the bolt hit him right? The mark shows up on the ground. The implication being he didn't die and join the force, he was a force of nature to begin with. Or maybe the embodiment of the Force itself. What was he saying after his line about the will of the Force being that Jedi die? That he was the will of the Force?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mon Cala was openly an Alliance member and producing capital ships for them by RotJ iirc.

No, according to nucanon the Mon Calamari had a mass exodus following the rise of the Empire and all the ships you see including Home One are apparently civic buildings?

• Locked thread