Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Interdictors are a bit of a problem though, as the rule for Hyperdrive in old-EU has always been you can't Jump in a gravity well. Interdictors work by generating artificial gravity wells to yank out passing ships in Hyperspace and hold ones already in the area from escaping.

How is that a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean aside from the U-Wing making that daring last-second escape to Hyperspace while in the atmosphere in Rogue One?

You didn't cite that in your original post, but yeah. JJ Abrams' dumb rear end didn't care about internal consistency so this is the world we live in now. It all started with the Falcon jumping when it was still in the cargo bay of that freighter and then later jumping straight into the atmosphere of a planet (which under previous rules should have blown the Falcon up).

After Rogue One and TFA, I realized that for all they're talked about, Leland Che and story group have no actual say when it comes down to it. The directors have all the power, and they aren't going to be dissuaded from what they think is a really cool thing to do with their action figures by being told it breaks the internal consistency of the universe. And Disney isn't going to give Story Group the power to overrule the writer or director, so they've basically become the court stenographer.

Lucas was God in the Star Wars universe, so he was usually cognizant of the rules he'd already established, and at worst he tried to retcon things so that they made sense within G Canon. This was his story and he knew all the rules and if it seemed like he changed the rules well no, actually, he had always intended the rules to be that way.

Basically what I'm saying is, Rogue One showed me that we're basically going to get a bunch of vignettes of stuff people have been dying to do with their Star Wars toys since they were kids. That's going to give us some cool rear end poo poo like Vader wrecking dudes and the Scarif space battle, but it's also going to give us a bunch of dumb poo poo like Rey being able to beast Kylo with 0 training or the destruction of Hosnian Prime being visible from halfway across the galaxy on Takodana.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I actually really love Kylo Ren as a villain, because you do not know which way he will jump or how far he will go to prove he is Big Bad Vader's grandson. And that makes him goddamn terrifying as a character.

Vader would calmly kill a commanding officer for failure, promote the next guy down, and that would be the end of it. Kylo Ren might do anything up to sinking the entire ship for failure because THAT'S WHAT VADER WOULD DO! :rant:

I'm hoping he turns it around within the next movie and we get something a little more interesting than the same villain throughout all three movies. I'd like to see a Star Wars character with some of the nuance Jaime Lannister has in GoT to where they're still kind of a prick but you want to root for them in their struggle to make amends, and not an 11th hour Hail Mary conversion to the light side that saves the day. I've got a feeling though that either he's going to get iced unceremoniously or go out in a really shallow archetypal heroic sacrifice.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, whatever. He is dead for all intents and purposes, just like Obiwan is dead.

I don't think so Tim.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Looks lovely and dumb. All of that VO is loving terrible and cliched but everyone is going to eat it up because it's cool to hate George Lucas.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I really hope with Kanan and Ezra on Yavin we can get some stuff on the Massassi thrown in there, maybe squeeze Exar Kun into canon.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Someone in CinD once told me The Trueman Show was better than Fargo. They are beyond hope.

Maybe they thought you said Farto.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cross-Section posted:

Time yet again for Melancholy Fridays with Dave Filoni:

https://twitter.com/dave_filoni/status/888614246593871872

"Ashoka is real," Dave Filoni said in a live Q&A earlier. "Star Wars is real. Kanan is real, and strong, and he's my friend."

The earnestness of these really bad fanfic-y posts he does is one of the rare things that makes me kinda self-conscious and ashamed of liking Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I kinda have this feeling like Ghost being in Rogue One is a red herring, and that Rogue One falls in the middle of the chronology of this season. Everybody Dies at the end of the season the same way they did in Rogue One to tie everything up in a nice little bow.

• Locked thread