Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Holy poo poo Hera, you have no bloody clue how to be a decent superior officer. There are effective ways to reprimand junior officer for loving up and ways not to. Utterly chewing out someone for what was technically a success, if an extremely messy one, without a single suggestion on how to do better or compliment on something during the mission that they did well is absolutely terrible leadership - that only breeds resentment. Admittedly we didn't see the planning stage of the prison raid, but it was clearly approved by the higher ups even given apparently sketchy information, and when has a mission in this show ever gone completely according to plan? And yes, it is likely part of the issue is her protectiveness of one of her "kids" coming into play, but that was like tossing gasoline on a fire.

Like, Ezra is clearly bringing his own pile of issues to the table - he's getting way too trigger happy and prone to going off half-cocked for one, he's having issues accepting blame for those fuckups he is making, and dancing on the edge of the dark side is surely doing his self control no favors, but leadership like that certainly isn't helping. The combination of his age, current responsibility being given to him, and personal issues are an extremely ugly mix, but it was really not being helped by Hera.

On other matters, just how low-key they kept Thrawn this episode was pretty cool. He barely appeared, and didn't particularly have any fanfare even during his appearance, but at the same time his presence was definitely felt. The mention of the Y-WIngs going to Dodonna's cell was a really neat reference too, especially as we're actually fast approaching the first movie (We're, what, about a year and a half away from the Battle of Yavin timewise at this point?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So this episode did confirm that the Phantom on the Ghost last episode was indeed an animation error, rather than a replacement being picked up offscreen. Seems the new shuttle would need more than just a new paint job to dock in the aft slot though. :v:

The Star Destroyer that dropped off the troops mysteriously vanishing was a bit odd though. Other than that the episode was good.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

Pretty sure I heard Pryce order Konstantine to contact the nearest Imperial outpost in range of Agamar and have them send forces to deal with the rebels, hence why we saw only shuttles and transports.

Rewatch the scene where they take the command room and start having a discussion regarding who actually won the Clone Wars. When Zeb mentions "Because they're here" in regards to the Empire winning, the camera looks through the window (monitor?) at what has arrived, there's a Star Destroyer.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I don't actually recall the Missile Boat ever actually appearing in any EU fiction other than the TIE Fighter game itself though. Okay, and I suppose SW: Rebellion. The TIE Defender on the other hand did, and it's exactly as lethal in those works as one would expect of a fighter that roughly combined the speed of an A-Wing, the shield strength of an X-Wing, and the maneuverability of a TIE Interceptor. Oh, and similar firepower to a B-Wing. Sure it cost like 5x the price of any other fighter available, but causing politicians looking at the the price tag to have a minor heart attack is just another benefit, right?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Missile boat wasn't in rebellion. Only defender interceptor bomber and fighter

Huh, I could have sworn it was available, but looking at the unit list you're right. Just misremembered.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yes, Gold Squadron is from the OT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWJV_B1TzQM

Minor Rogue One/ANH connection spoiler: Gold and Read Leads in Rogue One are the same Squadron commanders that die at the Battle of Yavin. Both were put in Rogue One via unused footage/audio from A New Hope

Minor Trivia: Vander is an Onderonian like Saw.

Along the same lines...

We also get a direct shot of Red Five getting blown up. Just in time for a certain somebody to be slotted into that position a few days/a week or so later.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Just saw the trailer and got to say this final season is looking like it'll be great, regardless of what the final fates of our MCs are. Lothal kind of had to be finished up as a storyline due to the lack of TIE Defenders in the OT, and Mandalore was obviously going to be covered as well given the start of a Mandalorian civil war - especially as it also offers a potential out for certain characters to possibly survive without impacting the OT. With the Ghost appearing in Rogue One though I am kind of curious to see if Hera at least stays on with the Rebellion if she survives, or if someone else is theoretically in command of it at that point. Alternatively it's just a cameo with no meaning, but that's boring.

Speaking of our MCs... while I highly doubt they'd actually show one dead in the trailer, and thus she's likely merely heavily injured or in mental shock or something, Sabine is completely limp in that wolf riding shot - Ezra is actually holding her, her helmet and whatever's on her lap in place. The wolf scenes also look like they're on Lothal, so I don't think it'd be mental shock over what potentially happened in the spoilers Big Mean Jerk was talking about regarding the premiere.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

TARDISman posted:

They mention a General Syndulla over the intercom in Rogue One. She's at least at Yavin, if not in the Ghost during Rogue One.

...Yeah, I'd actually forgotten that detail. Thanks for the reminder. So it's more a matter of who else survives, and where they happen to be.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

DancinBrud posted:

The starship speed is 100% an aesthetic choice, same as the skinny saber blades. I think they're specifically aping the feel of Falcon vs. TIEs battle from late in episode IV. I agree it's tough to get used to after the speedy feel of Clone Wars.

There are plenty of things that Rebels' budget gets in the way of (hello crowd scenes), but I'm convinced it's absolutely not a factor in the speed of the space battles. In fact, I think space battles are one of the most budget-friendly parts of the show, and that's why I think a Rogue Squadron show has a chance of being the next big animation project.

I'm not necessarily sure I agree with this, or at least there were some very strange choices made regarding space combat if it was true. Just look at the final battle this season - the actual capital ships spent most of the time just meandering near each other at point blank ranges with absolutely no fire exchanged whatsoever. Like, they could have had the star destroyers killing the various corvettes that were going down, but for some reason it was generic TIE fighter fire destroying most of them (aside from the Nebulon-B at the beginning, and the one corvette that took two proton bombs - which is honestly still pathetic, but at least that is anti-capital ship weaponry).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

DancinBrud posted:

You've just described pretty much every Star Wars space battle, haven't you? It's always focused on the starfighters.

Not really? At least in terms of fighters being relevant in taking down cap ships outside of dedicated anti-capital weaponry or freak circumstances. Like, compare to the space battle in Rogue One. Sure, the focus was mostly on the swirling fighter melee, but the capital ships were still duking it out in the background. While an X-wing did take out one of the Star Destroyer's shield projectors (or whatever the hell they are in nuCanon), it had already been noted that it had lost shields due to the exchange of fire between the main fleets. Hell, it would have recovered from the Y-wing run with Ion bombs too, given some time, if other plans hadn't intervened. When you saw TIE fighters strafing the cruisers, they caused some shaking, but no actual damage as the shots were being absorbed by the shields.

Return of the Jedi similarly had fighters not doing much to capital ships, with the one instance of the A-wing ramming Executor's bridge explicitly being possible because the entire Rebel fleet had concentrated fire on Executor to briefly take down its shields. Even then it's not like that alone would have destroyed the ship, or even permanently taken it out of the battle, if it hadn't hit the Death Star (not going to go over possible reasons as to why that happened, as they're not relevant).

Compare to Zero Hour, where a goddamn TIE fighter blew up a Hammerhead corvette with a strafing run. The camera follows the fighter melee because it's more interesting than watching two lines of ships just sit and shoot at each other, not because they're the ones directly taking out the enemy fleet.

• Locked thread