Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bad Moon posted:

Hard to be Sith when your whole goal is to destroy the Force

Destroy the Force = Ending all life in the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I don't think it is. That's why she's in conflict with Nihilus. She wants to do to all force users what happened to the exile.

Last I checked, everything alive is part of the Living Force in Star Wars. So, if all living creatures are a part of, destroying it would require killing them, no? Also, while it did come out later, I think I remember the Clone Wars TV series saying that the Cosmic Force and Living Force are in a cycle of exchange and, without it, life can't be created, but it's been a while since I've seen those episode.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if this has to do with different interpretations on how the Force works. IIRC, the nature of the force and how it manifests would often get wonky from writer to writer. The only consistent think being elements introduced in the actual films, for obvious reasons. Hell, remember the Yuuzhan Vong being absent from the force? I'm still not sure how that was justified.

Also, going back to grey jedi for a second, had a shower thought that the Imperial Knights from Legacy are the polar opposite of the Je'daii and the Bendu. The former literally tries to avoid using any side of the force too greatly but favors the light a tad and the later tries to use the entire force but in balance with both sides.

Covok
May 27, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The exile wasn't a part of the force and they survived. :shrug:

iirc the plan was to create a huge amount of devastation and cause force echoes that would either kill those who were entirely dependent on the force and couldn't/wouldn't turn away from it, or blind people to the force.

How were they not part of the force? Don't you play a Jedi in that game? Also, I guess any explanation is equally valid on how to remove the force from the universe since, you know, fictional universe, but I do wonder what Keria thought she'd get from it.

I guess it has to do with EU logic vs Cannon logic, though. Or Old EU, I should say. Like, recently, I've been re-reading Star Wars: Legacy and, holy poo poo, did I forgot how over the top the comics made the Force at times: immortal sith mage surviving in an amulet and able to make zombies with magic, for example. Like, if that is what the Force does, then, yeah, getting rid of it can seem necessary for sure.

Edit: By the way, since I brought them up, we kind of dodged the bullet with the Yuuzhan Vong in Clone Wars, I found out yesterday. They were going to show up in that show, but the episode never materialized. If it did, they would have been locked in as canon and, well, yeah...

Covok fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 18, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They were a wound that was only able to use the force through stealing it from other force sensitives, and I think specifically because of the bond with Kreia.

And Kreia wanted an end to the galactic wars that rose up every couple of decades because some jedi fell to the dark side.

Huh, that's an interesting plot point. And, yeah, I can see that since that was a really common plot point in the EU. Less an exception and more than rule in the EU that some Jedi turning Sith would disrupt the entire galaxy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Nah, he hates the Empire. If he goes sith, it'd be more anarchistic than authortiarian.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm totally down with Kallus defecting. Besides expecting it, it's always interesting to see someone struggling between their duty and their morality. There is a reason it shows up in so many stories as it is such a base, human story of internal and external conflict. It'd actually be pretty interesting for their to be an Empire only episode from Kallus' perspective where he finally makes up his mind on defecting after having to do some nasty poo poo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Coffeehitler posted:

Every interview I've seen of Freddie Prinz Jr. for this proves that he is a huge nerd for Star Wars. And I think Witwer is too, and its great. More so Freddie, since I vaguely remember him being a teen heartthrob in the 90s.

Witwer has pretty much made a guest appearance on almost every Star Wars podcast. An exaggeration, of course, but the guy loves Star Wars and jumps at any chance to talk about it and its related media, like roleplaying games.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Supposedly one of the first things he did when he first showed up to work on The Clone Wars was dump a boxfull of the old West End Games d6 Star Wars RPG books on Filoni's lap as a gift.

I wouldn't be surprised if he offered to run a game for various cast and crew either. :v:

You know, I've played SAGAs, I've read the only d20 stuff, and I adore the Fantasy Flight ones, but I've never played or really read the d6 stuff. I head it's a good system, but is most noteworthy for being the backbone of the EU. No really. Because they were allowed to make setting books, they got to define a lot of the world of Star Wars, from what I heard.

I would love, btw, if he actually did run a game for them or still is. Do you think Kanan or Erza is Filoni's PC in that game? I know he'd be a Jedi, that's for sure, but padawan or knight?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Pops Mgee posted:

Actually watch the D-squad episodes. They get really weird and it's great. The only clone wars episodes I really didn't care for were the Moncalamari episodes.

I swear those episodes were written by five different people without consulting with one another. It just goes to so many different places in a very small time.

Noticed that James Arnold Taylor shows up with a credit for Star Wars Rebels if you google "Obi-Wan voice actor."

Covok
May 27, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

He's already appeared in Rebels, Kanan played the post-order 66 emergency broadcast by Obi-Wan from the Jedi Temple, using the Holocron, for Ezra if you recall

Oh poo poo, you're right. Totally forgot about that. gently caress, and I thought I had found something.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Snoke's a hologram, not a Sith.

It's funny you say that as my friend literally proposed that theory to me today. Well, that's he's a holocron, but still.

NTRabbit posted:

Snoke is Maz Kanata's brother, because Abrams is an ordinary director who, as his own writer, has no setting between blindingly obvious and utterly incomprehensible

Though, this is still my theory on it. I mean, they're clearly the same species.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Am I going crazy or did the Rebel crew cameo on a lego star wars thing? I swear they did, but I can't find it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

You know, while Star Wars machine intelligence is limited in some ways, this Super Tactical Droid is probably highly intelligent. I get the whole "gently caress the seperatists" thing that the Empire has going, but I'm surprise they just threw all these things in the trash. Seems like it'd be easier to run an army of droids than an army of people who are constantly afraid of being chocked out by Darth Vader.

Covok
May 27, 2013

To jump off TheCenturion's point, there probably is also a factor of "those rebels are killing YOUR children, siblings, lovers, and parents!" Makes them seem more sympathetic than if they had a literal robot army and any rebel attack was basically property damage.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I think Dave Filoni said her story is done in Rebels. So, she might still be alive, but they won't touch on it there.

To be frank, we do have to make Luke the last Jedi in the galaxy, sans Obi-wan and Yoda, by a New Hope so that's something to keep in the back of your mind in nucanon works.

Covok
May 27, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

I'm sure Ezra will stick around. He's got to turn into Snoke, remember?

Your_Snoke_Theory_Sucks.jpg

Pablo Higalo probably looks at Snoke Theories and laughs himself to nausea. Guy probably knows Snoke is just some rando he made, just like how the Emperor was originally created, and isn't Mace Window, Erza, or someone else's pet theory.

Covok
May 27, 2013

A lot of Star Wars fans have been pushing for a Netflix Old Republic series. Pretty unrealistic to think online petitions work (though, in this case, it is just telling Disney there is demand for a product so it might have some pull), but it makes me wonder what a show like that would even be about? It's so before the prequels that it would have carte blanc to do what it wishes. In Legends, a Sith Empire kicked the Republic's rear end and almost conquered the galaxy. Not saying I want that to happen, but it's so long ago that crazy, galaxy shattering events like that can happen and no one would know during the time of the prequels, let alone the OT or sequels.

It could also be great to see a 180 as well: instead of it being the Legends or Legends-like Old Republic, it's something wholly new that doesn't rely on rehashing old villainous factions.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

I think one of the best things about the Star Wars setting is that you can do pretty much any kind of story in it and make it work. High fantasy? Check. Western? Check. Noir? loving check. Hell, tell me you wouldn't watch a police procedural set in the Star Wars universe.

Panzeh posted:

I don't care for the Old Republic because they tend to just poop over the notion of subtlety and the force-wielders basically become DBZ characters. Also they want to have both the Republic and the Empire at the same time while keeping a really awkward amount of things the same as the original time period. I feel like they should've made a cleaner break in that fiction instead of trying to rehash so many things.

This is kind of why I hope Disney takes their own spin on it, even if fans bitch-and-moan as they often do before eventually praising the changes. Less "this is just a mix of Prequel and OT" and more "this is its own thing," Imagine if their Old Republic shows was a different genre: it becoming a western, for instance, as it is still a time when the Republic is expanding and anything past the core system is practically wild space.

Of course, this requires Disney to even go "yeah, we'll listen to an online petition over our analysts, consultants, and internal lead creative" which is unlikely.

DancinBrud posted:

Genre-themed episodes were one of my favorite parts of Clone Wars. They even did a Lassie episode!

What was the "Lassie episode"?

Covok
May 27, 2013

WE B Boo-ourgeois posted:

Darth Vader was bad, but at least he didn't support slavery (unlike Alexander Hamilton)

Wookies were enslaves by the Empire.

Covok
May 27, 2013

This episode made me remember how much I miss Clone Wars.

Covok
May 27, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

I don't know if I'd call it impressive. They had to keep writing in goofy reasons for how he maintained control during all the shinanigans going on that would have exposed him and his schemes up and until RotS.

I don't know, actually. Most of the time it seemed pretty sensible. They were looking in the wrong place to begin with. A lot of people thought of him as a reluctant leader in a time of war, the image he kept trying to present at least. Sometimes he got a little evil, but only in private. Even then, it doesn't really give away a "I'm really behind it all" kind of way, more of a "I might be for the war more than you think" kind of way. Even then, that just implies himself as a warhawk and is even expected after being at war so long.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Appro of nothing, but I'm convinced that Maul dies in this series for good, likely at the hands of Obi Wan. Though, I have no idea how you can avoid "is he really dead" without cutting him vertically in half, setting him on fire, and blasting him into the heart of the sun, considering what he survived.

Covok
May 27, 2013

tsob posted:

Show his Force Ghost impotently cursing at an oblivious Obi-Wan, as Obi-Wan stands over his flaming corpse. I kind of want Maul to get a gently caress you to Palatine before he dies though. Something that Palps can't really easily dismiss, but doesn't permanently (or at least, not immediately) screw him. Something to do with helping the Rebels, even if only to get revenge on Palps seems to fit the bill.

Sith can't become force ghosts. *adjusts nerd glasses*

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bad Moon posted:

Tell that to all the Sith Ghosts who lived in my Sorcerer's head not to mention my Sith Lord Ghost Dad in ToR :colbert:

Those were legends, mate. You got to read the nuCanon for the gospel truth.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

I don't care what Lucas says, Revan totally was The Son's favorite ghost advisor.

Lucas didn't decide to throw out the chaff and make things like that Legends.

Covok
May 27, 2013

My only issue with this weeks episode is that I totally forgot about that season 2 episode it is a soft-sequel to. Like, at first, I'm like "who is this guy? Why do they know him?" Had to wookiepedia it to realize this was all from a season 2 episode I forgot about.

Overall, another solid episode. I really liked the canyon chase. I felt that it was maybe a too light in the story department, but that's okay. Also, it looks like we might get some Sabine family drama in the future which could be fun.

Also, RIP Sabine's jetpack. You were too good for this world.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Nina posted:

I'm super late here but only on rewatching TCW I connected the dots and noticed many parts of the track that plays during Ahsoka and Vader's duel are from a Clone Wars track. The name of the original track? "Anakin Wants Her Alive"

Holy poo poo.

Okay, gonna need some proof before I believe this tinfoil hat stuff.

Covok
May 27, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I can totally see an episode or two from now she going "I got what we need!" and bringing it out.

That was super cool to have Kevin McKidd and Ray Stevenson playing opposites. I also really love how Clone Wars and Rebels has shown the Mandalorians. Much better than the Legends version.

What were the legends versions like?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Depends on which version you look at, I'm guessing that is aimed at Karen Traviss' interpretation.

What was wrong with her interpretation?

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, what I'm getting from all this is that Bobba Fett's costume looked so cool that Legends made an entire culture of badasses who all wore the armor and were badasses together. And that is okay when you're 13, but, when you get older, you realize its kind of Mary Sue and gets boring and now we're glad that, while still a warrior culture, they're not "so awesomez, so OP."

Am I following legends vs nucannon mandlorian chat properly?

Covok
May 27, 2013

EVIL NOONER posted:

lol i mean, lets not pretend that theres only one depiction of boba fett or mandalorians in legends canon pls

I didn't follow Legends. To me, it's this dense, multidecade spanning mess of multiple authors writing in the same universe with little to no guiding hand keeping things together. It feels like a dense mess that I chip away at learning over time due to a morbid sense of curiosity.

So, consider me a bit of a neophyte.

What were the other Legends' Mandalorians like?

Covok
May 27, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

Then there was the bullshit she pulled in the Gears of War novels she wrote. The rape camps? Yeah, that.

I don't know what's more unnerving. The rape camps or the fact people spend time reading novels about Gears of War, a game with an excuse plot at best.

The rape camps, for sure, of course: it's kind of a hosed up, "too-edgy-for-you" element for a game about big hairy men shooting shaven apes...huh, that sounded a little racist in hindsight. Huh, that...hmm.

Generic American posted:

Mandalorians are... a bit strange to trace back. Because they never got any screen time outside of Boba standing around and Jango being a jerk, there are a metric fuckton of contradictions and casual retcons about them early on because there was no dominant portrayal to follow. Hell, for a time (right around the release of Episode II), the canon was that they were considered to be all but outright extinct by the prequel era and that Jango Fett— and by extension, Boba— was pretty much the last one. I mean, there was literally a character from the 2D Clone Wars cartoon whose entire motivation at the time was "he REALLY hates Mandalorians and spent centuries systematically hunting them down, but with Jango dead, clone troopers are the closest thing he has left to kill."

I'm not entirely sure where the flip actually happened or what most of the EU looked like for them between the original trilogy and the prequels, but once KotOR made them somewhat important and Republic Commando toyed with the idea of clones adopting bits of the culture, things began to solidify. Then the novels came out, and they went from the brink of extinction to just being nomadic and culturally scattered from getting repeatedly stomped into a puddle by the whole galaxy whenever they'd get a little conquer-happy.

But yeah, they did basically start out as yet another case of every on-screen character in Star Wars being a literal representation of their entire species/culture. Mandalorians wear armor, Sullustans are good pilots, Bothans are sneaky spies, etc. The only difference is that "Mandalorians" and their iconic armor technically predate Boba Fett; the initial concept for the movie was a whole group of armored Jedi-hunters, but was condensed down into a single character for his original appearance in Empire without any mention of the word. And then, once he became so inexplicably popular, they stretched it back out! Just a fun little factoid. :eng101:

Also,
I... was not aware of this. :stare:

Thanks for the info dump. It's always interesting getting the meta-story.

I actually remember the "Jango and Bobba are the last of their kind" story for a long time until I saw The Clone Wars. Now that Pablo Higalo is guiding the NuCannon, at least their story will stay consistent, hopefully.

Covok fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 7, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dash Rendar was in the special edition of A New Hope. So, there is that.

Is there a lot of love for Dash in the fandom outside the fans of Shadows of the Empire video games, nowadays? Also, do yourself a favor and let your memories of that game remain in rose colored glasses: it is rough if you drag it back up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Since we talked Nucanon Mandalorians vs Legends Mandalorians, how is the same divide for the Sith? I know there is A LOT about the Sith in legends, but I also know a lot isnt' good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I'm curious how the origins of the Jedi are in the new canon. The whole Je'dai order on Typhon is gone and with it, all that back story.

Though, there is still the Bendu.

I would love if nuCanon went whole hog and gave a much, much different version of Jedi history and the birth of Sith. After all, it's not like doing that makes the Legends counterpoint fade away into the ether.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheBigBad posted:

You're not gonna live to see the last Star Wars movie. They have a universe of ideas that they can throw into a box and market. Don't worry. They'll get to all of that.

This both makes me happy and sad and I'm okay with that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

When does Thrawn reveal he has a Jedi clone who is totally insane and adds little to the overall plot and is generally a bad, easily forgotten character?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't get why people latch so hard onto the whole "The Empire is racist" thing. That itself was a product of the EU. The only instance of imperial racism I can recall is the supervising officer of Cell Block 1138 calling Chewie "a thing". I guess the other possible sign is that there are no obvious non human imperials on screen? But that is true for the Rebellion too for the first two movies and even much of RotJ (Han's commando team is all human men for example).

The enslavement of the wookies, human high culture, the fact they are clearly Nazis...

Covok
May 27, 2013

Chickenwalker posted:

Prior to the prequels, as a kid, we always talked about Vader and the Emperor being Dark Jedi. I think that comes from Jedi Knight and Jerec and all that. It's also used in KOTOR to describe some of Malak's goons with the bandanas and hoods you run into on Tatooine and elsewhere, which I thought was kinda cool.

Yeah, this was a total culture shock for me when I decided to crack open a pdf of West End Game's Dark Empire supplement. It really makes you realize how little Star Wars lore used to exist when there is just "the Holocron" and it's all mysterious, it's just Jedi and Dark Jedi, the books states that there was no culture of dark side users because of how selfish the power is and how Sidious is breaking this by writing books, and all the like.

It honestly feels like you're reading something from a different franchise all together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

TIE Experimental mk 1 is hilariously dumb. Two cockpits, one wing (so it isn't even a TIE fighter as it only has one ion engine), and the guns on the sides of the cockpit. So much wrong in one starship.

• Locked thread