Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

twistedmentat posted:

Dammit I was going to say that.

"Sir we have Imperial Ships coming out of Hyperspace....It's Trump Tower!"
"Launch all Fighters!"

"Sir, they are deploying their shields!"

"Get the EMP devices ready."

"No, sir, it's...a concrete wall!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm imagining all the faceless Imperial Officers's caps replaced by MAGA hats now

A lot of Palpatine's political maneuvering was actually just Imperial propaganda and regretful voters trying to justify things to themselves. Palpatine was actually really obvious he was evil the whole time. He had big rambling speeches about how he was a Sith and how Chancellor Valorum was allowing the Outer Rim to walk right over the Core Worlds, the opposite of the then-current political reality. While few remember his election promise was to "Make The Republic Great Again," even fewer remember his chant of "Order 66 'em" and "Build The Death Star."

The Jedi could have done more to stop him, but they felt the Republic was smarter than this and would vote correctly. Even after his electoral victory, they felt the institutions of the Republic would protect itself from his bumblings and power grabs. The Jedi's involvement in the Clone Wars was more to stem the bleeding from what was a pointless war, started by Palpatine trying to bill the Outer Rim for the protection they received from their military. Not taxes, a literal bill on paper handed to their governments. A sad attempt to cover the insane costs of the Death Star, an infrastructure project mocked by his political opponents as "never happening."

By the end of the Clone War, they finally got fed up and tried to assassinate him, but Anakin Skywalker ruined that plan. He should have been dead to rights, he was an awful fighter and easily bested, but, as he often did, he managed to fail upwards.

Frankly, by the end, even the Rebellion propagated the myth of Palpatine's competence. It would be embarrassing to admit that he was a bumbling fool and the only reason he posed a threat was due to the strong institutions the Republic had built over the years that he misused for cruel vanity projects and half-baked plans. Not to mention how much it could worry people about the failings of democratic republics, which the Rebellion sought to build. Much better have the belief only a truly cunning man could destroy them than political apathy and gross, brazen incompetence.

The Clone Wars, the Death Star's destruction, and the Rebellion's victory were not "4d Sabbac", as many Imperial sympathizers (often called "Black Hats", after the caps he sold during his campaign), claimed. They were just a lucky break and a series of failures, respectively.

Covok fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 29, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

It sounds loving awful.

There is a reason why some things end up on the cutting room floor.

Making an episode of Clone Wars was incredibly expensive. Not all of them were good but most were decent. I'm sure a lot of bad ideas were left as "potential maybes" and "I like that idea, let's work on it a little".

Books don't involve that.

If not liking lovely fanfiction makes me a "troll with bad opinions" I'll take it.

It's literally an adaptation f an episode at was going to be in Season 6, guarnteed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

It didn't get made, so it's just an idea from some dude. That's what fanfiction is.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye was originally conceived as a sequel to Star Wars where the Force is a crystal and Luke bangs Leia. We can all be glad that Splinter never got made in the same way we can all be glad that this steaming pile of poo poo never got made.

Sometimes you have to save a thing from itself.

It didn't get made because the show was canceled. It was literally in pre-production and was planned to go into production and air. This isn't the cutting room floor, this is the show got canceled. All of it is still considered canon by the writing staff, along with all the stuff they had planned before cancellation, and everything is being written with this in mind. Had they gotten into production, it would have been one of the unfinished episodes that got released later on.

You know, I normally try to avoid being that kind of fan, but do you just watch Star Wars as an excuse to get mad it doesn't meet some imagined perfection or otherwise meet your very narrow view of what it should be? I mean, it seems like it'd make an alright 3-parter, nothing emmy award winning, but, in general, you seem to just come here to bitch and feel superior.

Covok fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 31, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

IronSaber posted:

I have Shbobobohbbhbh on ignore since all his opinions are terrible anyways.

So! Favorite ship from Rebels so far? While I love the TIE Defender, I am also partial to that prototype B-Wing from S2.

Favorite ship? That is a toughie. Wish the Hammerhead premiered there and not Rogue One because that ship is balla' as hell.

Yes, I know it was in KOTOR, but I mean canon-wise.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Also, honestly, he had just killed his own father. He thought that'd make him closer to the Dark Side like it did for Anakin when Anakin killed the younglings, but the novels say (and the film tried to imply this) he actually felt a strong pull to the light due to his regret. Rey, on the other hand, was clear of purpose: revenge for the loss of her father-figure. Doubt makes one weak in the force and only one of them doubted themselves.

Covok fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 1, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

This feels like a good time to mention Hayden Christenson will be at the 40th Annual Star Wars Celebration.

Covok
May 27, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I hope Kylo does not get redeemed. It would be nice to see someone beyond redemption out of choice for once.

I don't know. I kind of doubt they'll go that way. It's too Star Wars to redeem someone at the end of their life.

I just really, really hope the Last Jedi(s) shows up some new kinds of stories we don't normally see in SW, like the prequels did (though, I hope TLJ does it a lot better) for SW. I want novelty.

Covok
May 27, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

They'll never be the head of a major corporation now.

Yeah, that was no way to get a head in life.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

Rad-rear end animatic from the Filoni panel at Celebration that just wrapped up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbhMNFDvQM0

Alsoooo

ROTJ Rex is REAL

gently caress, they need to finish the Clone Wars.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Clone Wars THE FINAL SEASON?

Covok
May 27, 2013

A live action Star Wars show could be done IF they kept it to like stayed mostly in the ship, only rarely went planet side, and everyone was okay with every Twi'lek, Ithorian, etc. using the same or cheap costumers. You know, how Star Trek did it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

evilmiera posted:

My favorite Star Wars show would probably be all about​ jedi and sith exploring their philosophies and emotional or familiar bonds, with the Force as this mystical plot resolver rather than just something you use to make fighting stormtroopers fun. And I would probably excise all the space battles and most of the fights with regular blasters or walkers or whatever in them. And every instance of droids speaking unless they are ig88 or whatever his name was. And focus waaaaaaaaaay less on humans or mandalorians or twileks since we already know all about them.

I actually like this idea, but the main problem I see is most non-human/mando/twileks tend to be the aliens that talk like a trashcompactor loving a dying cat.

Covok
May 27, 2013

IronSaber posted:

What would be in a Kenobi movie that we haven't already seen in the existing movies?

Ewen McGregor hanging wang.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Hell, isn't there that Lego Star Wars cartoon that basically fills the comedy niche while Rebels does the action-adventure beat? The Freemaker or Freebuilder whatever?

The Freemaker Adventures.

They almost literally have Robot Chicken Emperor as the main villain, except not voiced by Seth McNotFunny.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dave Syndrome posted:

Number four:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTxJpEkR7CE

It's nice that Anakin feels comfortable enough around Yoda and Ahsoka to be rocking that lipstick.

What is up with Anakin's face? Looks like he's a male model for a fashion magazine in Sweden.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dave Syndrome posted:

Next one is online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPS6Od-oxcc

No idea if Catherine Taber is voicing Padmé again - I can't even remember what her voice sounded like in the cartoon, but this one certainly doesn't sound like Natalie Portman.

One drawback of marketing the show to kids is that the action scenes are excruciatingly slow. This episode especially.

I liked it, but I have to say that was a very subtle plan. Like, the bomb made sense, but the "use utensils to subtly insult them didn't." I guess the implication was "try to make them leave on their own through a casual insult and, if that don't work, blow it all to hell."

Dave Syndrome posted:

And the next:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc0O1yP9kNo

Eh. Those last two really didn't do anything for me.

Okay, this is practically stealing candy from a baby at this point. It also seemed like a really petty thing that almost felt out-of-character for Jyn (I know she doesn't have much of a character, but still) to do. Like, she kind of seemed like the type who would let the cat get kidnapped rather than give away her location to the Empire. Oh well, aimed at kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Chickenwalker posted:

"Ashoka is real," Dave Filoni said in a live Q&A earlier. "Star Wars is real. Kanan is real, and strong, and he's my friend."

The earnestness of these really bad fanfic-y posts he does is one of the rare things that makes me kinda self-conscious and ashamed of liking Star Wars.

It becomes less fanfic e when you consider the fact that he's getting paid by the company to put out this free advertising. Well I guess it isn't free advertising because they have to pay him. Half of these might literally just be ideas they had it in the office but never actually did.

• Locked thread