Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I'm still miffed he's already a Grand Admiral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Covok posted:

Destroy the Force = Ending all life in the universe

I don't think it is. That's why she's in conflict with Nihilus. She wants to do to all force users what happened to the exile.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Covok posted:

Last I checked, everything alive is part of the Living Force in Star Wars. So, if all living creatures are a part of, destroying it would require killing them, no? Also, while it did come out later, I think I remember the Clone Wars TV series saying that the Cosmic Force and Living Force are in a cycle of exchange and, without it, life can't be created, but it's been a while since I've seen those episode.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if this has to do with different interpretations on how the Force works. IIRC, the nature of the force and how it manifests would often get wonky from writer to writer. The only consistent think being elements introduced in the actual films, for obvious reasons. Hell, remember the Yuuzhan Vong being absent from the force? I'm still not sure how that was justified.

The exile wasn't a part of the force and they survived. :shrug:

iirc the plan was to create a huge amount of devastation and cause force echoes that would either kill those who were entirely dependent on the force and couldn't/wouldn't turn away from it, or blind people to the force.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 18, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Covok posted:

How were they not part of the force? Don't you play a Jedi in that game? Also, I guess any explanation is equally valid on how to remove the force from the universe since, you know, fictional universe, but I do wonder what Keria thought she'd get from it.

I guess it has to do with EU logic vs Cannon logic, though. Or Old EU, I should say. Like, recently, I've been re-reading Star Wars: Legacy and, holy poo poo, did I forgot how over the top the comics made the Force at times: immortal sith mage surviving in an amulet and able to make zombies with magic, for example. Like, if that is what the Force does, then, yeah, getting rid of it can seem necessary for sure.

Edit: By the way, since I brought them up, we kind of dodged the bullet with the Yuuzhan Vong in Clone Wars, I found out yesterday. They were going to show up in that show, but the episode never materialized. If it did, they would have been locked in as canon and, well, yeah...

They were a wound that was only able to use the force through stealing it from other force sensitives, and I think specifically because of the bond with Kreia.

And Kreia wanted an end to the galactic wars that rose up every couple of decades because some jedi fell to the dark side.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

quote:

“He must have had a story pre-Jedi because he had risen to Grand Admiral, and I’ve kind of told myself, ‘Well, I’m not changing much of what Tim did, I’m just putting him in this time period, which wasn’t really explored to my knowledge,” Filoni says.

Play TIE Fighter you hack! :argh:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

And pre-Jedi. And before he was a Grand Admiral. And I just want the cool ships from Tie Fighter to show up. :colbert:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Hera also regularly gets all her A-wing pilots killed.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

drunkill posted:

I reckon it is Maul. Because to anyone else they'll think inquisitor, not knowing the difference.

Also the episode title and some of the footage from the season previews would line up pretty well with this.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I'm mildly disappointed that they weren't willing to take a risk in showing that sometimes rash actions are the best course of action, by having that transport the rest of the crew wouldn't fire on be instrumental in the plot going south, allowing Ezra to reinforce his dark side feelings a bit more rationally.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I'm just surprised that the Empire counts civilian casualties separately to rebels.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Which would make sense, because they were just brought up again last episode with the captain of the prototype being demoted.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 27, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Covok posted:

You know, I've played SAGAs, I've read the only d20 stuff, and I adore the Fantasy Flight ones, but I've never played or really read the d6 stuff. I head it's a good system, but is most noteworthy for being the backbone of the EU. No really. Because they were allowed to make setting books, they got to define a lot of the world of Star Wars, from what I heard.

I would love, btw, if he actually did run a game for them or still is. Do you think Kanan or Erza is Filoni's PC in that game? I know he'd be a Jedi, that's for sure, but padawan or knight?

Kanan. Cowboy Jedi seems exactly the type of character he'd play.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

And if you don't bother taking any advice on which episodes to skip and end up watching the entire series, watch it in the order it aired in rather than chronologically. But otherwise the opposite.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Was the training officer the same VO as the Imperial announcer in Battlefront 2?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I honestly don't know which is worse

This guy has no luck with passport photos.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The hammerhead are just rearranged CR90s anyways.

:aaaaa:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Man, there was one bit of dialogue in this episode that was just loving awful.

Ezra: "If none of you won the Clone War, then who did?"
Zeb: "The Empire."
Ezra: "That's right Zeb! But how did you know?"

Just so clunky and terrible and it doesn't even make sense.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think Zeb wasn't answering EZzra. I think it was more of a "The Empire (is here guys)" given what he said just after that but I dunno. Thats how I read it at least.

Yeah that's possible, but Zeb's isn't the worst part of it, it's Ezra's follow-up, "But how did you know! :aaaaa:"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

They could always have stories span multiple episodes. I'm not really sure why they don't (discounting the double length episodes.)

e:Like Clone Wars was doing multi-episode storylines, and that show was in an even better position than Rebels not to do them. It's an odd choice.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 6, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

MizPiz posted:

Put a lot of :effort: into this.

I moved on her like a Bith!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Covok posted:

What was wrong with her interpretation?

Very Mary Sue.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I think the kid was intentionally as annoying as possible to show how much growth Ezra's been through. I guess?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

He's using the force to enhance his other senses. The giant white spiders are force sensitive and can feel fear and react hostilely.

The giant mountain buffalo force guru is a giant mountain buffalo force guru. V:v:V

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Would you like a jelly baby?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I hope he gets at least a couple of actual victories, before the Rebels outsmart him and Dodonna gets away with a squadron of Y-wings fully armed with proton torpedoes.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Hondo's smart enough to leave that poo poo for the Nazis Empire.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

He's more Space Japanese than Space Jewish Nazi collaborator.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't remember wookie enslavement being mentioned in the movies. Chewie is the only wookie in the OT. Were they carting them away in cages at the end of RotS? I genuinely don't remember.

The culture thing is there but the new Tarkin novel portrays/interprets it as more of a "Posh Core Worlders vs frontiersmen" angle. So it doesn't have to automatically mean racism.

As for the Nazi comparison that's always an easy (and often stylish) visual shorthand for "these guys are evil" bit it doesn't have to automatically mean they're racist. Especially after they've already shown off their genocidal side by blowing up an entire populated planet.

I just don't get why people dislike the concept of alien imperials so much. Hell if you want to stick to the Nazi analogues he's Vichy French.

Don't Luke and Han put Chewie in chains and pretend he's an escaped slave on the death star? I could be misremembering.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

It was common playground knowledge in the mid-to-late '80s. It had to come from somewhere. I'm guessing the toy packages or trading cards. Or kids figured it out because Nazis are racist.

It probably started in the tabletop and was picked up in the rest of the EU after that.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah but the criticism is that the new canon is hobbling itself by crimping from the old EU.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

But how do you resolve disagreements over backstory, when those backstories are used to create context and motivation for characters in other works? Without a system of canon you don't have a coherent universe and you end up with the ridiculous poo poo you see in comics.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

What's wrong with internal consistency?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

Because it shrinks the universe. There is a reason why every Star Wars character ends up hanging out with every other Star Wars character. It's a normal part of lovely genre fiction because turbonerds love canon.

Nebbish nerds joined the clergy so the clergy became a system that appealed to nebbish bookworms. Recreating that system in the modern world is stupid dumb.

C3PO is Anakin's droid and R2D2 served on Amidala's ship. The universe is the size of a thimble in the movies and the EU. It's hardly a problem of canon.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

It's never too late to make the right decision!

Bold move reminding everyone of that function.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Also rebel cells being racist/speciesist liberals who are more interested in pushing through reform in the Imperial senate until that plan falls apart would be a good story.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

The rebels were undoubtedly racists, Chewie didn't get a medal. They may have thought of themselves as progressive, but its their actions and unspoken biases that reveal their true nature.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Especially when he had direct links to Darth Vader.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

Lando ran Cloud City, he obviously has organisational skills, and probably bought a shitload of connections and resources with him. He's more than just a pretty face.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Covok posted:

TIE Experimental mk 1 is hilariously dumb. Two cockpits, one wing (so it isn't even a TIE fighter as it only has one ion engine), and the guns on the sides of the cockpit. So much wrong in one starship.

The panels aren't the engines, otherwise the TIE Defender wouldn't be a TIE.

e:Unless it's a Triplet Ion Engine Defender, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Chickenwalker posted:

I just realized they retconned Ventress from being a Rattataki to being Dathomiri...along with Maul. So they're the same species. Apparently different groups of people can't live on a planet without literally being from there and being the same species. Everything the Clone Wars introduced having to do with Dathomir was dumb as poo poo. I've hated most of the new canon stuff but latter day story decisions to do with existing EU material were terrible.

I mean, am I wrong? Read the wiki article on Maul and soak in all the mental gymnastics going on to reconcile his like, 80 different origins. EU writers didn't pull him being Zabrak out of their rear end, that's something that had to come from Lucas. And then he's like, "uh, well no actually he's from Dathomir I guess because we want to incorporate the Nightsisters. And so is Ventress. They're literally the same species have I never mentioned that?" So the article is like WELL HE'S A DATHOMIRI DESCENDED FROM ZABRAKS WHO CAME FROM RATTATAK :wtc:

I did like that they gave Maul a little more nuance this time out. It really felt like his plea for Ezra to be his friend was genuine. I wish Star Wars did more to humanize Dark Siders and characterize them less as demons who are always out to trick and betray you.

Can't wait for Maul to go straight back to square one running headfirst into Kenobi's lightsaber with essentially no character growth.

I mean the wiki page for Zabraks basically says that the Dathomirian 'night brothers' are just culturally different, and that they're not actually the same species as the nightsisters. :shrug:

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 11, 2016

• Locked thread