Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Ezra is about 10x more interesting as an anakin skywalker figure than anakin skywalker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It'll probably be covered In more detail in the Thrawn book or future episodes.

As for Krell he probably was an effective (if harsh/uncaring) General before he snapped, decided to go darkside and deliberately sabotaged the Umbrara campaign as an offering to Dooku to gain his favor/apprenticeship.

Krell was intentionally scuttling the Republic front on Umbara, but it's notable that his suicide tactics were raising ire among the troops, not suspicion. It's likely that Krell's earnest tactical style favored overwhelming 'shock and awe' displays of force. Umbara has an entrenched resistance and a supernaturally-hostile environment, so the huge amount of casualties doesn't do much beyond raise an eyebrow if someone's already familiar with Krell's favored tactics. The "civilian casualties" line does seem to go against our preconceptions of Thrawn, not to mention that the antagonist-side of Rebels is already rife with Heavies, but it could just be that Thrawn is ruthless and meticulous. More of a Trench character than a Grievous/Krell one, if we're drawing TCW-Rebels parallels.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
By the Callous Coasts of Kessel!

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
I absolutely loved that episode, but I may be biased because I've played in a ton of Star Wars RPGs and "Confederacy droids that have survived into the Imperial era as fringe survivors/rebels/lost soldiers" is one of my guiltiest pleasures. It also managed to pack in a ton of plot into a 22 minutes episode, even if the dialogue climaxes were excessively on the nose. Like a lot of people, I was really hoping the Tac droid would join up, mostly because I wanted to see him and Chopper's boyfriend from last season be working logistics together or something. Also found it amusing that the droids would say "Separatist Alliance" and not "Confederacy of Independent Systems"/"Seperatist Confederacy" because they ended up being protagonists this time around

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
The lore around Boba Fett and the Mandalorians is complex, self-contradictory, and has been revised numerous times over decades, even before the Disney purchase. Here's what I have in my head, but it's by no means 100% accurate or comprehensive:

Pre-Attack of the Clones: Comics, Books, and Etc
Boba Fett's true name is Jaster Mereel, who served as a 'Journeyman Protector' of a world called Concord Dawn. Some vague and dark trauma led him to either becoming or re-assuming the identity of Boba Fett, one of the last surviving members of the Mandalorian Supercommandos. The Mandalorian Supercommandos were mega-soldiers who fought for the Empire in the Clone Wars and were led by an individual named Fenn Shysa, who may or may not have styled himself with the title of Mandalore. Around this time, there are various references to 'Mandalorian armor' and such, which may or may not have its origins on a world/culture called Mandalore.

Sometime after the Battle of Endor, Boba Fett reforms the Mandalorian Supercommandos and fights the Yuuzhan Vong (not sure if this happens pre- or post- AOTC)

Post-Attack of the Clones: the New Jedi Order, KOTOR, and Open Season
Mandalore is/was an interplanetary empire of warriors with a highly-ingrained sense of honor and conduct. Various iterations of their society fought various wars against various Jedi Orders for various reasons - the enmity between Jedi and Mandalore is longstanding and bitter.

Prior to the Clone Wars, Mandalore is beset by a brutal civil war between Mandalore Jaster Mereel and his True Mandalorians and Pre Vizla's revanchist Death Watch. The war spills onto the world of Concord Dawn, where Jaster Mereel meets an orphaned farmboy named Jango Fett. Jango is raised by Mereel and eventually rises to a rank of high esteem and heir-apparent to the title of Mandalore, despite being an outsider. Death Watch manipulates the Jedi Knights (led by Jedi Master Count Dooku) into slaughtering the last of Mereel's faction, and Mereel himself dies before or after this. Death Watch reigns on Mandalore and Jango Fett runs to the fringes to become a bounty hunter. By the time of the Galactic Civil War, and possibly even as soon as the Clone Wars, Mandalore is a ghost of what it once was and their society is either in decline or obliterated entirely.

Jango trains multiple clone units of the Grand Army of the Republic - notably the Commandos (from the xbox game and atrocious mandobro karen traviss novels) and the Null clones (bad batches? failed arcs? can't remember) - with a number of other Mandalorian outcasts, teaches them Mando'a, and heralds them and the GAR as the last remnant of the now-dead Mandalorian culture. Around this time, various characters who were once described as Mandalorian Supercommandos are retconned into having been clones. Various features of the clone troopers across media are retconned into being Mandalorian trappings, or the other way around (one I remember specifically are the 'eye' markings around several clone commanders' helmets, like Rex). Boba is raised as Jango's son and taught to be a bounty hunter.

At a certain point, Boba goes into hiding on Concord Dawn and takes the name and role of Jaster Mereel, Journeyman Protector. Around this time he falls in love with a lady bounty hunter and they have a kid who shows up in the NJO books, I'm pretty sure.

Sometime after the Battle of Endor, Boba Fett is dying from ~CLONE AGE DISEASE~ and is pressured to take on the role of Mandalore and revive Mandalorian culture. He does this and fights against the Yuuzhan Vong, taking heavy concessions from the New Republic for his service. Mandalore begins exporting bysshk, which is super-mando-metal and makes their society super rich or something.

Post-The Clone Wars: Satine and Sabine, Rebels, and the New Disney Order
The Clone Wars adds new and (to some fans) boggling layers to Mandalorian society, retaining Death Watch as a revanchist faction but introducing a senate, government, and noncombatant citizens to make Mandalore more than a planet of space-warlords. During the Clone Wars, Mandalorian society is in political upheaval due to the frictions between "legitimate" Mandalore and Death Watch. Death Watch ascends to Mandalore's seat of power, and Pre Vizla becomes Mandalore. Maul kills pre Vizla and becomes Mandalore. Darth Sidious rebuke his one-time apprentice and presumably removes him as Mandalore.

Concord Dawn is a world controlled by Mandalore, which is now more of a functional mini-hegemony within the Republic/Empire. It is stewarded by Fenn Rao (nod to Fenn Shysa?) and his Protectors. Either due to, or in spite of, the immediate ascension-and-dissolution of both Death Watch and Maul, Mandalorian culture has apparently reverted to its clan-based warlord structure.

Jango Fett is apparently a Mandalorian pretender and bounty hunter with unknown origins - he donates his genes as the baseline for the Grand Army of the Republic, but post-Disney I haven't seen much of anything which confirms or denies a sort of 'Mandalorian heritage' in the mind of the clones or their progenitor. One of these clones, Jango's "son" Boba Fett, spends his adolescent years bossing around the likes of Bossk, Dengar, and Aurra Sing. Boba Fett meets his end in the Great Pit of Carkoon, vored to death by the Sarlacc

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 21, 2017

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Wulf Yularen showing up is a great way to show that transition into the villainous Empire, since by canon chronology he begins as the heroic admiral and liaison for Anakin/Obi-Wan, and was last seen sitting on the Death Star's evil hell council (precursor to a proper Mofference, I'm sure, dark greetings all). Here, he's presumably in his role as head of the ISB, since his expertise is to help root out a spy. I wonder if we'll get anything in the episode to indicate if he's a true believer who is glad the traitorous Jedi are dead, or if he's a company man just going along with what's happening above his head.

Another neat detail is that Thrawn's codeword to override his loyal robots from pummeling him to death is "Rukh", which is the name of the Thrawn's noghri bodyguard who eventually assassinates the proud Grand Admiral when he least expects it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
It's my understanding that kreia and the Bendu are more opposites of the "gray jedi/pan-force" philosophy:

Kreia: The Force is a capricious, alien thing which manipulates us into foolhardy beliefs and conflicts; the Force takes what lives it will, and we as mortals should not accept that

Bendu: The Force is a capricious, alien thing which is beyond our judgment and interpretation and should be followed; the Force takes what lives it will, and we as mortals must accept that

Traditional Jedi Knight: The (light side of the) Force is what binds all life together, and I am it's vessel through which life is protected; death is natural and my acceptance of it is what allows me to transcend to another level of existence

Traditional Sith: The (dark side of the) Force is what fuels all life, and it is the source of my self-actualization and personal power; death is anathema to life and my denial of it is what makes me extraordinary and immortal

• Locked thread