Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm just saying the Vaulters probably don't live there anymore, given that winter won out in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I think that before ES2 was a thing, the 'canonical' end to EL was Vaulter's quest victory.

There's a lot of art for the game with humans, so I'd actually think we might see two human majors, plus probably the Vaulters and Horatio as minors. Otherwise the most awesome piece of art wouldn't make sense

Darkrenown posted:

I'm playing some EL for the first time since not enjoying it at release: Can I not build districts over ruins? It's rather annoying since they are blocking the direct route to a sweet tile.

Yeah ruins and minor villages are permanent, or at least last longer than the game does. Hopefully you're enjoying it more now, it didn't click for me at first but it's become my favorite 4x.

IAmTheRad posted:

I already got Endless Space 2. I'm enjoying it even while it's an unfinished early access game.

:ssh: Darkrenown is pretty invested in Stellaris.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I'm sorta enjoying it this time around, but it hasn't quite clicked yet. Broken lords might not have been the best first game choice either, but they looked the coolest. Basically I am running around killing minor factions and spending much of my Dust healing instead of making population.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Yeah my only problem with starting as the Broken Lords is when I changed race. Now food is a thing?!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The humans in all the art so far look like they could come from a setting that's not far removed from us today. They all wear leather jackets, jumpsuits and generally don't have anything that could suggest which faction they would belong to which makes guessing a lot harder. If they were from any of the ES1 factions you'd expect them to appear more martial.

You can also tell that a lot of population interactions don't work correctly right now or aren't implemented at all. Cravers don't kill off other pops and if you conquer them there's no way to avoid them depleting your planets, which could get very annoying if they spread around your other systems. Elections are also a little bugged, what with my Sophon scientists losing a vote by 70% to the pacifists in the first election.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Demiurge4 posted:

Cravers don't kill off other pops and if you conquer them there's no way to avoid them depleting your planets, which could get very annoying if they spread around your other systems.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

The humans in all the art so far look like they could come from a setting that's not far removed from us today. They all wear leather jackets, jumpsuits and generally don't have anything that could suggest which faction they would belong to which makes guessing a lot harder. If they were from any of the ES1 factions you'd expect them to appear more martial.

Amplitude's said to not use the art to guess at future factions. They use humans a lot as filler.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Well, they also use humans in the Craver load screen.

We can guess at future factions. There is one known for certain. The other 3 are still a mystery, but probably not for Amplitude.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Tulip posted:

I think that before ES2 was a thing, the 'canonical' end to EL was Vaulter's quest victory.

There's a lot of art for the game with humans, so I'd actually think we might see two human majors, plus probably the Vaulters and Horatio as minors. Otherwise the most awesome piece of art wouldn't make sense

Am I going crazy, or did you flip this image horizontally for some reason? I could swear that when I saw this as a loading screen, it was going the other way.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Tanith posted:

Am I going crazy, or did you flip this image horizontally for some reason? I could swear that when I saw this as a loading screen, it was going the other way.

It's been flipped for some reason. It's bay 60. Not bay a0

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Darkrenown posted:

I'm sorta enjoying it this time around, but it hasn't quite clicked yet. Broken lords might not have been the best first game choice either, but they looked the coolest. Basically I am running around killing minor factions and spending much of my Dust healing instead of making population.

A lot of people suggest them for a first faction and I've never felt like it was good advice. You can get yourself trapped into a low-dust dust death spiral and the ROI on population spending is nonobvious. They used to play super tall but now they're probably the widest-playing faction, which means happiness can be a challenge. Plus you never learn about using food.

Drakken is probably the best to start, for learning principles. They start with a really good starting tech (Language Square), ruins are a bonus tile so that makes settling a little more forgiving, they suffer less from falling behind in tech, and they have a get-out-of-war card.

Tanith posted:

Yeah I found that image on the Wiki where they seem to have flipped it. Good catch though, I couldn't read that without really squinting.

IAmTheRad posted:

It's been flipped for some reason. It's bay 60. Not bay a0

Bay 06 :v:

Some cravers peacefully moved into my empire and I am not happy about it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Mokinokaro posted:

Amplitude's said to not use the art to guess at future factions. They use humans a lot as filler.

It wouldn't bother me if Humanity ended up a minor faction of "abundant people but no central empire following the collapse of <BLANK>."

Of course, I'd rather the Empire return because they had a sweet Dune / Sardaukar vibe going on. :getin:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

I'm playing some EL for the first time since not enjoying it at release: Can I not build districts over ruins? It's rather annoying since they are blocking the direct route to a sweet tile.

I hope Empire returns in ES2, evil space humans are the best race.

90% of the cool new stuff for Stellaris is going to be in the free patch, the DLC is a fairly minor story pack. For the real time aspect, have you played any Paradox game? It's not like an RTS.

On this note - does Endless Legend add anything in free patches paradox-style, or is all the new content locked behind buying expansions? I have the base game but no DLC, and it's good but not great. I'd like to see if it's a bit better now (and maybe from that point lay down the money for the DLC) but I'm not paying $45 just to try it out.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

For multiplayer only one person needs the dlc and it's on for everyone. I believe all the expansions are just factions and you get balance changes for free.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Prop Wash posted:

On this note - does Endless Legend add anything in free patches paradox-style, or is all the new content locked behind buying expansions? I have the base game but no DLC, and it's good but not great. I'd like to see if it's a bit better now (and maybe from that point lay down the money for the DLC) but I'm not paying $45 just to try it out.

There's been quite a few AI and diplomacy improvements but most features are indeed limited to the expansions.

Also Amplitude has said one unknown ES2 major is humans of some type.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Prop Wash posted:

Just wait a bit, I would be extremely surprised if they didn't go on sale sometime this week.

Also BTW Tempest is up for preorder at 25% off right now.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Just wait a bit, I would be extremely surprised if they didn't go on sale sometime this week.

Also BTW Tempest is up for preorder at 25% off right now.

Thx for the heada up

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

There's been quite a few AI and diplomacy improvements but most features are indeed limited to the expansions.

Also Amplitude has said one unknown ES2 major is humans of some type.

As much of a human supremacist as I am, it would have been funny to see humans be plentiful but unimportant and mostly ignored/enslaved by the other far more advanced races. (I'm looking at you, Vodyani Matrix-esque loading screen.)

Of course, I'm still rooting for Vaulters.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Looking at EL Tempest, the new Morgwr race's description mentions they want more than just the planet, so perhaps we'll see them in ES2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C0YieQmeKE

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Looking at EL Tempest, the new Morgwr race's description mentions they want more than just the planet, so perhaps we'll see them in ES2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C0YieQmeKE

Actually, that's kind of a running theme for EL races.

The Vaulters' questline is to build a ship, the Cult mentions taking their crusade beyond Auriga, the Necrophages say that when they've eaten everything on Auriga, they'll "look to the stars, still hungry", etc.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Avasculous posted:

Actually, that's kind of a running theme for EL races.

The Vaulters' questline is to build a ship, the Cult mentions taking their crusade beyond Auriga, the Necrophages say that when they've eaten everything on Auriga, they'll "look to the stars, still hungry", etc.

Yeah, they all have ambitions bigger than the world they're on. Which is good, since everyone knows the world is going to freeze to death.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Except for the Forgotten, who'll just sit on a dying planet, recounting all the wedgies they pulled on Vaulters. :smith:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Aren't the Mogwr basically the weird hosed up dudes you fight in Dungeon of the Endless?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

New EL achievements, from reddit

Curious about the highlighted one. Win while in an alliance?

Demiurge4 posted:

Aren't the Mogwr basically the weird hosed up dudes you fight in Dungeon of the Endless?

Looking at the enemies they're all either minor factions, necrophage or chimera. Chimera zombie maybe?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Is co-op a thing in EL's multiplayer? Maybe that's what it refers to, or they're adding it / it's a Morgawr win condition.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I played a game as Sophons and I was always so broke. Their science is nice, but I was always struggling to make ends meet for a fleet of 3 attackers and a hero. Pacifists won the senate and never let go.

The Lumeris are really fun though. I enjoyed playing them a lot.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

HiKaizer posted:

I played a game as Sophons and I was always so broke. Their science is nice, but I was always struggling to make ends meet for a fleet of 3 attackers and a hero. Pacifists won the senate and never let go.

The Lumeris are really fun though. I enjoyed playing them a lot.

Isn't one of the pacifist laws something like +20% to dust from trade? Dust generation seems like it's their thing.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I didn't have enough influence as I'd just assimilated the gas giant science minor race. Unless it's the default law in which case it helped me a little but ship expenses seemed to overwhelm my tiny and fragile economy. I don't know if I just colonised poorly though.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

To be fair I had dust issues related to ships at the end of my sophon game too but that was because I just kept making GBS threads them out all of my systems which had nothing left to build :v: Also I had terrible approval from over expanding causing pop to drop constantly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

HiKaizer posted:

I didn't have enough influence as I'd just assimilated the gas giant science minor race. Unless it's the default law in which case it helped me a little but ship expenses seemed to overwhelm my tiny and fragile economy. I don't know if I just colonised poorly though.

The Pacifist default law is -25% cost to all interactions with minor factions.

And yeah, managing your dust and happiness seems way more important in this game, at least until they tweak the balance. Even a small fleet will chew through your resources, and often you're better off building nothing than a new ship or improvement which will just siphon your money.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Are there any techs that let you convert industry to anything else this time around? I hate leaving my queues empty...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Era 2 has an industy to dust tech.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Must have overlooked it while beelining for military techs for ENFER. Would definitely have helped me though, had some great industry planets towards the end.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Era 3 also has industry to science.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Siphons have the fun ability to research era 2 techs from the start. Sadly they don't seem to actually get the T2 weapons from the tech until you actually progress to that era so no crazy Sophon war supremacy from turn 3. That said I'm gonna try getting the T2 ships and see how they fare against a craver AI in era 1.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I really do wish there was a "Produce Science / Money" build option for systems, like there is in Civ. I don't relish getting the popup that I have an empty queue every time I hit next turn.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Max posted:

I really do wish there was a "Produce Science / Money" build option for systems, like there is in Civ. I don't relish getting the popup that I have an empty queue every time I hit next turn.

There is, you just have to research it. Just like you have to research every other basic function in this game. Personally, I feel like it's a problem: too many fundamental game systems are gated by research. You can't even do basic diplomacy until tier 2.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Siphons have the fun ability to research era 2 techs from the start. Sadly they don't seem to actually get the T2 weapons from the tech until you actually progress to that era so no crazy Sophon war supremacy from turn 3. That said I'm gonna try getting the T2 ships and see how they fare against a craver AI in era 1.

I lost a battle before my first election which helped push the pacifists to a majority and take that law away from me :(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's a design choice. Endless legend does it too. I think the rationale is to make the early game feel like the exploration phase and era 2 is the beginning of the space history where borders have been established and conflict erupts (hence why invasions are gated behind and era 2 tech).

The pacing of the game doesn't really support it though. I run out of things to build and do only halfway through era 1 right now. But it's clear to me that the eras are supposed to represent a few hundred years of progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Oh hey I wondered if there was a thread for this.

I got to play Tempest at EGX in Birmingham - not long enough to make a real impression of the new mechanics, but enough to excite me. The lore text for the Morgawr is some creepy poo poo.

I've also been playing Endless Space 2 in EA and it's pretty cool so far, but god is dealing with Minor Races a pain in the rear end. The interactions on that side are very clearly unfinished. Also, what's the way to go as Vodyani? I can't seem to leech fast enough to really get anything going with them.