Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh great, I didn't know they were going with the Early Access model now for ES2.

Love me some Early Access. Quality products there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Endless Space 1 was an Early Access game too.

That is the opposite of reassuring.

Legend wasn't an EA thing, was it?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh, I thought Legend was straight to release for some reason. I guess I just happened to never notice either of them until after EA.

Probably a policy I'll keep with though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

NmareBfly posted:

My other Endless story: The Horatio in ES1 have a disadvantage that makes their ships cost more. It used to be called 'anti-expansionist' or something which made 0 sense because they're an expansionist race. I, me personally, suggested on the official forum they change the name to 'The price of beauty' because they seem like dudes that would spend a lot of time installing golden doilies in every corridor. This is my greatest game development accomplishment. :smug:

You did a good thing, gamer.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mokinokaro posted:

It was. 4 factions at early access release. Amplitude does it so player feedback shapes the game.

A double edge sword.

GALLANT suggests the Horatio penalty be called "The Price of Beauty"

GOOFUS wants heroes modeled after Portal memes.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blacktoll posted:

I must be a maniac because endless legends made my eyes roll into the back of my head out of boredom but I loved endless space.

:trumppop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

babypolis posted:

I dont get the hate Endless Space gets on this forum. Sure its not as mechanically refined as Endless Legend is, but its very pretty and it still has all that charm, originality, asymmetrical races and ease of use that makes Amplitude games so good. Also at this point it's super cheap so just the lore and writing are worth at least one playthrough, imo

Yeah, it's a bad game presented very well.

But it's a bad game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Generation Internet posted:

I played the poo poo out of Endless Space and loved it

I made the mistake of getting Endless Legend while it was early access, though, and played an hour and a half of it before getting bored and never playing it again.

What the gently caress.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Clarste posted:

EL was pretty bad when it first came out in Early Access. I did that too, although I came back to it on the full release.

Sure I guess. I didn't play either in their EA days. But I am offended at the notion of someone playing "the poo poo out of" that turd ES and then dropping EL, an infinitely better game, after an hour or whatever.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I'm giving it a try now, though, and I like what I'm seeing so far :shobon:

:cheerdoge:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Beamed posted:

Aren't you the one who thought Stellaris was as bad as Beyond Earth on release? :ironicat:

Most people maintain that those games were p bad at release so I'm not sure what your angle is here.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jastiger posted:

Weirdest thing, I'm playing against the AI as the new water people and the cultists somehow have 2 cities. How does that work?

Shouldn't be possible. Only things I can think of...

1) City #2 is actually in the process of razing but hasn't finished (I forget if raze time is a thing in EL)
2) There are two AI cultists in the game and this is a derp moment.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
On related note I can't help but lol that they had the Very Good and Smart idea to include a "don't allow random AIs to roll the same faction" option....

... but the game considers Vaulters and Mezari different factions :downs:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Spanish Matlock posted:

Fortunately thanks to the power of the endless series not being a money grubbing blackhole of poo poo and garbage like some other 4x games (Civilization)

:eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Avasculous posted:

Honestly, 'too much content' is hardly a fair complaint

"Too much content" is indeed a hard complaint to lodge, but "too much insubstantial content" is not. I would agree that there are maybe too many moving parts in EL that only become important when ignored, which is neither cool nor good.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

prometheusbound2 posted:

I've been a fan of the 4x genre since Civilization 1, and Civilization holds a dear place in my heart. I've been playing Civilization 6, and think its a very good game, but find myself drawn back to Endless Legend. I think Amplitude may be the new kings of the genre and can't wait to see how Endless Space 2 shapes up.

Endless Legend manages to have AI that conducts reasonable diplomacy and can semi-competently prosecute a war while at the same time Civ 6 buyers make the argument that better AI is literally impossible so I'd say Amplitude is doing a pretty good job.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah way too many of the "tech choices" were really just "basic functionality" in EL and it was real dumb.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jastiger posted:

If you want to get it cheaper, get it in a year.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Davincie posted:

i bought es1 recently when it was 1 buck, but i do think it has some issues: the interface isnt great, combat involves a lot of busywork card clicking as does upgrading planets, despite the unique factions you kinda end up doing the same thing with a lot of them and the ai are just total pushovers, how much does es2 improve this

My main issue with ES1 is that it is a bad game. I hope that ES2 improves upon this by being a good game instead.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Baronjutter posted:

Stellaris is totally broken with the patch they pushed out to celebrate it's birthday

I mean that's a pretty appropriate to celebrate it's birthday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I recently bought the Endless Space 2 complete pack for $20 that was on sale about a week or two ago. Booted it up last weekend, read the faction descriptions while pondering what to choose, and as soon as I read about the HACKERS I not only didn't choose them, I disabled their content pack.

I did not receive any prompting from an outside source to do this, and had no foreknowledge of them or any reviews of their content. I just read their in-game description, and immediately every ounce of my prior 4x experienced screamed that I didn't want them around. Checking this thread now is very satisfying.