Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The empire are industrialist going by the official wiki, along with an influence bonus.

Their wiki description has them as an offshoot of the Mezari like the Vaulters and describes them as something more like a militarized confederation than a full on tyrannical empire.

So we have two unrevealed major factions left: one returning and one new.

The XML files still list Horatio, Automatons, "time lords," Harmony and Vaulters as factions but they don't differentiate between major and minor.

I really hope Horatio is a minor but it has a pretty vocal fanbase.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
During the beta as the sea demons, I assimilated both the centaurs and the sisters of mercy to have a half-decent land army. It seemed to work fairly well as long as I stuck a decent hero on the stack where possible.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spanish Matlock posted:

The one that introduces spying is pretty good. Then the one with the titans. Then the one with the moths.

And Tempest is above all of them but I don't think it's got a good discount.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

- What's wrong with the races in Endless Space? I haven't played it, but the OP didn't specify why they were memes/bad/etc, and apparently it's non-canon now, and ??? I want to know more!

The ES1 races were okay (outside of being too human heavy I feel,) but they had a lot of weird poo poo caused by being too open with the community votes. Like one of the administrator heroes was literally GladOS from Portal because the Portal memes were big at the time. The main problem with ES1 is a lot of it just feels incomplete and bland.

ES2 is basically a reboot that will apparently tie into the universe established by Legend and Dungeon more. I'll expand on this post later.

(And I REALLY need to do some writeup for ES2 for the OP)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Well yeah but the Cult was developed in a,more restrictive rule set

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

IAmTheRad posted:

The combat in ES2 right now is terrible.

But that will be changed for the next major release IIRC

The combat doesn't really exist yet.

Next major update was on schedule for this month before they went on holidays. Hopefully they're still on schedule.

EDIT: \/ they haven't detailed it yet, but they do want to give it some more complexity. Not TOO much though as they want non-watched combat to remain a viable option.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 5, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah they said the stream would show off the next race.

I really hope they've made Horatio more interesting to play than in 1.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If anyone's willing to give some highlights it'd be appreciated.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Overminty posted:

The update will be available tonight on the beta branch. Apparently it's password protected but they'll be making it public on the site, facebook etc later.

It's up and they decided to not password protect it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Exploited tiles are the ones surrounding you districts that the city takes resources from. Basically as the sea demons you want to build along the shoreline as much as possible.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

Today is endless day? And there's a weird goddam quest that unlocks some guy? If I do the quest, and unlock the guy, will he be available for every game that isn't started on today? Or else why do I give a poo poo that its endless day?

Does "unlocked" mean "forever" or "just this game" or "just games started on endless days".

If you finish the quest, he's unlocked forever.

Or in Dungeons' case, I think you just need to get three floors with him in the party.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I THINK the EL quest when finished unlocks him as a random hero at the marketplace from then on.

EDIT: \/ yeah, the in game events are the same. I'm sure ES2 will have a new one next year.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 22, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

I think there needs to be a whoops let me start this turn over button because goddamn I can't stop myself from making a city if I finally get to where I want it.

the game autosaves at the start of every turn. Keeps saves around 10 turns back iirc.

EDIT: \/ The Allayi and Morg have some weird movement quirks due to their special movement abilities. Usually it's just a visual glitch and they'll get where you want them to go.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 22, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

cerious posted:

Anyone know if ES2 is going to go on sale ever while still in early access? Was hoping it would go on sale during this set of steam sales but no luck.

I think Legend went on sale almost immediately after full release.

However Amplitude has said Space 2 will have a price increase when it hits 1.0

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

Aw what? Only six races to date and one of them isn't horatio? What the hell? I want my money back.

Horatio's the latest one they announced actually. He's in the next update.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
1. Move the ark if you find a system with multiple "colonizable" worlds that have good resource gains/anomalies.

2. Vodyani simply do not colonize. On that note any improvements you build stay with the ark.

3. Leechers work on both minor races and other factions' colonies. This is your primary way of raising population and building new arks. You have to be somewhat sneaky about using them to really get away with it. Also never drain a planet completely dry unless you're desperate. You can farm them repeatedly if you let them regrow.

4. You're not at "peace" unless you actually declare it. Otherwise you're in cold war so things like leeching will be seen to be okay by the AI.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If you drain them dry you get ZERO from that planet. The rate drops as the population drops.

IIRC essence is an alternative to using population or manpower. Essence is what you get from draining. It's really the most efficient way as Vodyani populations grow really slow.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

Wow they changed the research tree overnight and it's hard to find what I"m looking for. I hope this becomes clearer.

You can zoom in on it. It's not too bad once you get used to it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

IAmTheRad posted:

wondering what races will be in the final game. I can still hope for Vaulters/Mezari.

Two more races left to be implemented. The unfallen (sentient tree pacificists created by the community) and an unknown that's codenamed Time Lords in the game files.

I don't think we'll see a vaulters major faction in the base game since Amplitude said the unrevealed race is new. Depends on if they consider the patched in vaulters in ES1 as an old race.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

There no non-evil humans in ES2 this time?

The UE is actually very open to interpretation (and their plot quest can lead to some huge changes for them)

EDIT: \/ it is, Horatio and the Pilgrims are also offshoots of the Mezari.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 27, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The trees are pacifists according to the contest rules. Not that Amplitude can't change that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It might not mean anything as they use old faction names as placeholders.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Flipswitch posted:

Do we have any information on the last faction yet? There's only one right?

They're pacifist intelligent trees called the Unfallen.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Aurubin posted:

Not that it's ever been much more than window dressing, but they kinda took out all the unambiguously moral playable factions this go round. The Scottish tree folk come close, but they're a little pushy when it comes to "harmony." Wonder if that's commentary or just to be funny.

The sophons aren't really villainous and the UE...well, it depends on how you handle their story quests. They get...interesting.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Sorry guys, I've been busy and neglecting the OP.

If you've got some nice guides/starter info and other things that you feel belong in there, please link them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Peace treaties are basically cease fires.

If the AI is immediately breaking them once it can it usually means the AI has decided you're weak and easy to beat.

The AI generally respects strength more than anything. Except the drakken who have a vested interest in being everyone's friend.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Drunk in Space posted:

Did they ever add fighters to ES2 in the end? They were supposed to do it shortly after release.

Still not out yet. Hoping for end of summer.

(and yeah I know the OP's been neglected. I plan to revamp it once I have time. If anyone has some good guides and such, please link them)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Unfortunately SA disabled the size tags a long time ago because they were abused. I cleaned it up a bit for now.

I'll work on getting some gameplay tips and such together.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
No they're not.

The UE and Vaulters are both distinct offshoots of the collapsed Mezari empire.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

I burned out on ES1 due to portal memes and other such G2G idiocy. Is that still a thing in ES2?

No. Amplitude learned their lesson and curate the g2g stuff pretty heavily since Endless Legend. Its been to the games' benefit as both community designed factions have been pretty cool.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The UE plotline lets you swap your faction focus later on.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Start with the base.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Science is important for everyone, basically, as it speeds up how fast you gain new tech.

Dust = money and for the UE it's less important since they can use influence in most places where dust is used and influence is easier to earn. However, it can be useful for gaining allies and speeding up establishing colonies. I believe they still use it for upgrading and repairing ships.

In general though:
Food - population growth rate, with larger population = more generation of all the other resources
Industry - used to build new things. Does not stockpile between turns like other resources. Most races will want to boost industry early on to get an edge on pumping out improvements and more ships
Dust - money. Matters most to Lumeris, but really useful for buying out construction. Also needed to repair/upgrade ships.
Science - affects your research speed

Also, in regards to the pirates being a pain early on, build ships with anything but the default weapons. Most of the pirate ships fall apart to a torpedo/beam mix.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
http://www.pcgamer.com/endless-space-2-unveils-the-vaulters-dlc/

So Vaulters are coming for ES2 as a mini expansion.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 18, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Tempest is the only expansion I feel is essential in EL. Naval warfare brings so much to the game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Combine it with neutral pirates through diplomacy and invade through pirate systems.

I was a beta tester on this expansion and we've been given the clear to talk about it if you have any questions.

Though do note I'll be offline for most of the weekend.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 19, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rhjamiz posted:

Can anyone use boarding pods or just the Vaulters?

Vaulters get a stronger variant but everyone can use them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
One thing that must be noted is Vaulters also have far more severe expansion penalties.

They're made to build tall and take prime planets instead of just grabbing everything.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Clarste posted:

I want an espionage faction that's so sneaky that they can colonize planets that are still colonized by other people. Alien Cuckoos that lay their eggs in other species' nests.

Kind of like the criminal faction in Empire at War? Corruption was a neat idea if OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Ignore it I have no idea what it means but i get it every game and the AI will never beat you to a quest victory unless you actually have an aneurysm and die on your enter key

Yeah the two the AI seem to have the best chance at winning are conquest (if they grab enough land early on) and economic.