Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

I think it's from Night in the Woods.

It's fanart from that yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The Vaulters dlc is well worth getting as they're a really neat faction. The pirate diplomacy it opens up is also fun.

The others aren't as essential.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

How's the combat in Endless Space 2? Entertaining or just 'my bigger econ lets me kill the other dude'

It's intentionally mostly hands off. You decide a tactic and then your ships act based on that order plus whatever they've been equipped with.

Fleet makeup is what matters most, really and that's not solely an economy thing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

AnEdgelord posted:

So i picked up Endless legend recently and ive been running into some issues with the game and i was wondering if this thread could help. Im currently playing as vaulters to feel the game out so some faction specific advice probably applies but general advice is welcome as well.

Honestly go into the game settings and turn off the expansions for your first few games. Learnt he basics before messing with the extra gameplay they add.

AnEdgelord posted:

6. I dont understand what im supposed to be doing with minor factions. I usually just assimilate the one with the best bonus and ignore their military units. I know the morgwar need to rely on them for their ground foces but i dont know what to look for in their units (other than daemons=good rear end units) or if it even matters to the other factions.

7. How much should I be focusing on legendary deeds? Im guessing i just ignore them unless I see an easy one.

6. The cult also really needs them. For most races you are good to just use their bonuses.

7. Basically go for the ones that you're specializing in and ignore the rest. Their bonuses are nice but not worth losing the game over. Legendary buildings, on the other hand, are worth pursuing if you're able.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
4x as a genre is basically too complex for competent AI that can balance all aspects.

Galciv 2, the Pinnacle of 4x AI had a lot of simplified systems like linear research that allowed that ai to work.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Galciv 2 is still the best 4x AI but the game had to be pretty simple to allow it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I dont know posted:

For someone who didn't play ES1 what was the portal reference character?

You could literally find a copyright dodging GladOS AI hero.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rhjamiz posted:

I'll take any game in the Endless universe honestly. Especially if FlybyNo is doing the soundtrack.

The setting is so lore rich I'd love to see them try something RPG wise.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

ES2:

I know it's not been out long but does anybody have any idea how to actually play the Umbral Choir guys?

They only get one cities worth of production and the goal is to make it the most turbo awesome super city because it has to produce just as hard as everybody else's entire empire? And you accomplish this exclusively through hacking?

Early on it seemed really easy to just mindlessly hack everybody else but now most of the time I try and plant sleepers in nearby civs I get counter hacked and they prevent me from doing it. I don't entirely understand the mechanics at play.

You want to expand out through hacking and plant sanctuaries on planets wherever possible as those are your "colonies." Basically the goal is to get those on as many planets as possible BEFORE another player colonizes it. You see the other player will actually help you create sleepers as it grows your population and it won't know about a sanctuary that existed before they settled. For a long while. Defense/tracebacks are mostly a diceroll but there's techs that will influence it in yours or their favor. Throw a defensive program or two on nodes between your target and the enemy. These will make it much harder for them to actually trace back all the way and help you avoid the penalties.

BE VERY CAREFUL HACKING PIRATES. Those guy start out as hardened targets. Diplomacy is a better option when you can.

Also make sure you use the "terraforming" upgrades on your home system. It builds more pop cap so you don't suffer the overcrowded penalty.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah Sanctuaries are basically colonies that give you resources. They can even exist on planets another race controls (where I think you benefit from any upgrades the rival colony builds)

Beacons let you have the bonus from a special node and also let you relocate your home system (at a price depending on how long you wait to move after setup) if it's found out

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Getsuya posted:

Tonight I started a game as the Cultists and boy did it click with me. I really like only having one city to worry about, and it feels good converting all these random tribes and making little armies with them that I then use to steamroll and convert more. I'm having a bit of trouble managing my dust because I have so many new units popping up every x turns, so I'm scrambling a bit to cover that, but otherwise things are feeling really good for this campaign.

Yeah, cultists are not a bad start to figure things out.

I still recommend going back to wild walkers after. They're the closest to bog standard 4x play in the game whereas most other sides have pretty significant quirks. Vaulters are also a solid choice with some pretty big science bonuses, good infantry (though get that tier 2 unit ASAP as it makes your armies much more effective) and the ability to spend resources to teleport armies between their cities.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

AnEdgelord posted:

Is it worth picking up Endless Space 2 if i'm already all in on Stellaris? I enjoyed Endless Legend quite a bit but I'm not sure how much room I have in my life for space 4x games.

They are quite a bit different. Stellaris is so much about making your own faction but ES2 uses quirky premade ones like Legend.

That being said, I do find Legend the better game of the 2. Space 2 is good, but it lacks...something.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

Play the base game extensively before touching dlc. There is a ton of stuff to do in their before layering on even more dlc mechanics

Yeah the vaulters DLC is fine to start with since all it adds is the vaulters themselves and allows diplomacy with the pirates (which can be quite beneficial when you're starting out.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

fuf posted:

gonna give endless space 2 a whirl for the first time since release and was gonna ask about DLC but from reading this page it sounds like I might be better off just playing the base game?

Unless there's like one or two DLCs that are genuinely good and mesh well with the base game?

Penumbra and Awakening you'll probably want to learn without. The former's hacking system takes a while to figure out and Awakening has issues that completely break the game that don't look like they'll be fixed any time soon.

Supremacy is decent with adding the behemoth units and a fun race in the Hisshio. The Vaulters DLC basically just adds that faction (who are my favorites,) the ability to capture enemy ships with boarding pods and the ability to have diplomacy with the pirates which can add a lot to your strategy.

But feel free to start with the base game. It's solid enough without the expansions.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Their ships have a big advantage you won't notice right away with the hardpoints making them all multipurpose.

Use that food boost to build larger/more fleets than your opponent. Horatio fleets do good in numbers. You'll definitely need to still turtle somewhat with them but you can spread pretty quickly and their gimmick basically means you can grab so many good bonuses from other species.

Vodyani are really cool but probably the most complex to play. Have fun with them.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 2, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tulip posted:

*sad riftborn sounds*

Yeah the riftborn are probably my favorite ship designs too. The Unfallen and Horatio kind of tie for second (I really love the organic designs for Unfallen.)

Though I kinda love all the ship designs. Even the UE's big submarine inspired capital ships are cool.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can reinforce nodes to load the dice a bit in your favor but that's it.

There's also a way to check for enemy nodes on your planets.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bholder posted:

Since the series is on sale and I bought Endless Space 2 on release but nothing else, I'm curious if there is a priority list of DLCs that I should get, or just buy the bundle.

Do not buy the Awakening expansion. It is unbalanced to the point of being unfun (the academy will often just snowball all over the rest of the galaxy on you due to the special rules they operate by.)

Folks are also pretty mixed on Penumbra because the hacking system can be rather obtuse. I don't mind it myself.

The only two expansions I recommend without caveats are Vaulters (mostly just adds their faction) and Supremacy.

The other dlcs are more music and quests.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Honestly the only expansion I feel is safe for a complete newcomer is probably the Vaulters.

They're neat gameplay wise and the main mechanics added in their expansion are easy to grasp.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tulip posted:

??? Nakalim. Haven't actually played them.

They're an interesting concept but unfortunately their expansion often renders the game completely unplayable thanks to the horrible overpowered AI Academy faction.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

I mean at least all the vaulter dlc does is add them as a faction, with no other features. Granted I love the vaulters so very much worth it from that angle. :v:

It adds the ability to negotiate with pirates too. Iirc a lot of features they wanted to be dlc got wrapped up into the base game patch for the vaulter dlc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You need the shipyard tech from era 1 or 2.

After that you just move units on water to turn them into transport ships. There's no naval combat without one of the expansions. Docks let you switch to transports without losing your turn so it's a very useful tech.