Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I poked around on the webpage and yeah, apparently the winning game-design choice is that they don't use production at all in favour of food, but that might be tweaked.

If you don't want to go to the creation contest forum page, here's the details:

quote:

The Unfallen Faction: Nearly-Immortal, Dual-Natured Sentient Trees that CANNOT DECLARE WAR WHILE PACIFISTS ARE IN CONTROL OF THE SENATE.
Pacifist Diplomats - "Speak Softly, but Carry a Big Stick."

Faction-Specific Traits:
War and Peace from the Senate: The Unfallen cannot declare war while the Pacifists are in control of the senate. As they're peaceful by nature, they also receive a 20% malus to happiness when they declare war with anyone else in control of the senate, except Militarists. With Militarists in control of the senate, they can declare war freely and receive no malus to their happiness.

Smoking the Trees: The Unfallen can force peace by sacrificing a population unit, as their smoke is intoxicating and has an extreme pacification effect. This truce lasts twice as long as a normal truce as the effect of the smoke is addictive, too. This sacrifice is highly regarded as one of the most noble things an Unfallen can do.

Living Dwellings: The Unfallen use food as their production, as they use their own to construct their infrastructure. Therefore, Industry is not utilized.

From One, Cosmic Power: They use their own to build monstrous ships, which require populations points to build. As such, some of the larger hulls are available a bit earlier, too. They also regenerate over time, without the need for technology.

They're In The Trees!: As The Unfallen share an affinity with all plant life, plant life on other faction's planets give The Unfallen some non-detailed information once they've become aware of The Unfallen's existence. Build queue, population and stationed ships are known to The Unfallen.

Peace Provides Sentience: Being at peace with the Unfallen provides you with one Unfallen population point at every planet you have with a temperate environment, once each planet has room. As a race achieves peace with the Unfallen, the Unfallen enlighten the native tree population. Each Unfallen population unit receives a bonus to food production.

This is from the same page the earlier ship pictures came from. It is subject to change when they are actually added (going through it looks like Smoking the Trees in particular probably needs to change or at least get refined), but it was the concept that won.

Prism fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Speedball posted:

Sadly there's no Lore-apedia in Endless Legend. Instead you kind of just have to look at all the item descriptions and stuff.

The short version for why Dust is money is because it's a nanomachine of some sort. The titular Endless are a now-dead race of superbeings who did all sorts of stuff with it.

This is IIRC also why Dust 'magic' works. It's the nanomachines, which can be activated and made to do things (or activate themselves under parameters that can be forced to occur), but nobody on Auriga really understands them or how to make them do everything they could.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
But, on the other hand, their biggest ships also cost population, so they need a lot of food.

These are the traits as of October. I guarantee they've been changed by now but here's the basic concept, at least. In particular, their peace-related effects - Smoking the Trees, possibly their pacifist war ban - were called out as needing work, and there was some talk about how them getting information from other factions should work. I haven't really paid attention to more recent chat than that, so if they announced something that doesn't match this, go with that rather than this - it's old info.

The Unfallen posted:

The Unfallen Faction: Nearly-Immortal, Dual-Natured Sentient Trees that CANNOT DECLARE WAR WHILE PACIFISTS ARE IN CONTROL OF THE SENATE.
Pacifist Diplomats - "Speak Softly, but Carry a Big Stick."

Faction-Specific Traits:
War and Peace from the Senate: The Unfallen cannot declare war while the Pacifists are in control of the senate. As they're peaceful by nature, they also receive a 20% malus to happiness when they declare war with anyone else in control of the senate, except Militarists. With Militarists in control of the senate, they can declare war freely and receive no malus to their happiness.

Smoking the Trees: The Unfallen can force peace by sacrificing a population unit, as their smoke is intoxicating and has an extreme pacification effect. This truce lasts twice as long as a normal truce as the effect of the smoke is addictive, too. This sacrifice is highly regarded as one of the most noble things an Unfallen can do.

Living Dwellings: The Unfallen use food as their production, as they use their own to construct their infrastructure. Therefore, Industry is not utilized.

From One, Cosmic Power: They use their own to build monstrous ships, which require populations points to build. As such, some of the larger hulls are available a bit earlier, too. They also regenerate over time, without the need for technology.

They're In The Trees!: As The Unfallen share an affinity with all plant life, plant life on other faction's planets give The Unfallen some non-detailed information once they've become aware of The Unfallen's existence. Build queue, population and stationed ships are known to The Unfallen.

Peace Provides Sentience: Being at peace with the Unfallen provides you with one Unfallen population point at every planet you have with a temperate environment, once each planet has room. As a race achieves peace with the Unfallen, the Unfallen enlighten the native tree population. Each Unfallen population unit receives a bonus to food production.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'm really hoping the Unfallen have the bonuses to make up for all their maluses. Food is clearly the weakest pillar of FIDSI and paying pop points for bigger ships is nasty as hell. Though I suspect they'll be the Sowers of ES2.

These were very old ideas that were part of the original voted-on suggestions. I imagine they've been ... adjusted ... by the devs to make something feasible.

They did submit some cool designs though.

The big ones remind me of Gunbuster's Space Monsters, except trees instead of weirdly fungal, and I can't hate that.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Avasculous posted:

This is a joke, right? I know you said it was being reworked, but how was it even being considered?

It sounds like a way less costly version of one of the most powerful (and certainly the most annoying) abilities in EL, and the description reads like the kind of wink wink nudge nudge humor I expect from a 14-year-old.

Welcome to Endless Space voting.

More seriously, beats me. I assume if anything gets ripped out and totally replaced it's this one.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Clarste posted:

That was the original fan suggestion. Because, you know, fan suggestions. My assumption was that the developers were just taking the basic idea of pacifist trees that grow their ships and starting from there. Does anyone know what the original Cultist suggestion looked like?

I just went to look, but apparently posts that old aren't archived.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
As the Unfallen, how do I claim systems as part of my empire (for instance, to complete Fire and Light, which requires me to have 2 anomalies within my empire)? It's stuck at 0 even though I have anomalies on planets that aren't just in my empire, but are colonized!

I don't make a 'claimed territory' aura, as an example in this screenshot - Esh has grey territory because it's a minor faction, but Veni and Lahat don't have purple territory the same way. I assume this might be related.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Onean posted:

I'm pretty sure any system with your celestial vines and with a colony counts as part of your empire. Post a screenshot of a system that should count for the quest?

I hadn't actually colonized the correct planet, though it was in Lahat. The Unfallen have to actually be on the planet to have it count for them, apparently.

In other news, you'd think you'd notice Low Gravity as soon as you got there without extra investigation, really.

Prism fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 20, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Onean posted:

Ahh, that makes sense.

And, speaking of gravity anomalies...

'So how's the gravity on that planet?'

"It's, um... it's gravity. Probably.'

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Avasculous posted:

Yeah, well, you'd think aircraft and colonizing "Arid" worlds would predate INTERSTELLAR TRAVEL but here we are.

Edit- count to think of it, that actually makes sense for the Riftborn though.

I'm assuming arid worlds don't have much/any water at all, which would be a problem. Steppes sounds like it should be easier than arid.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Clarste posted:

Incidentally, it bugs me so much that they use "Keii" which is just the Japanese word for "Honor".

I thought that was eiyo.

Edit: It's both. :ms:

Prism fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 4, 2018

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mokinokaro posted:

Galciv 2 is still the best 4x AI but the game had to be pretty simple to allow it.

Since the series was brought up, how's Galciv 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Man, I miss Fall from Heaven.

Maybe I'll try to install it again if I can find it.