Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

IAmTheRad posted:

Is Endless Space 2 worth it right now in the current state? I know it's 25% less than it will be when it hits beta of Early Access according to the news for the game. I do like me some 4X strategy games.

I mean is it worth it more than Master of Orion or Stellaris?

It's definitely a better game than Master of Orion, but it's not in full release state (i.e. the game is stable but content, particularly late game content, is missing). I picked up Master of Orion to tide me over until this hit full release and regretted the decision. Can't speak for Stellaris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Is there a reason my Influence production seems to zero when I'm at war as the Morgwar? Clearly some negative buffs are being applied, but I can't figure out where they're coming from. It's happened when I'm fighting the Drakken and Cult, if that helps.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Knightsoul posted:

decimate my cities with the "Decrease Population" action?

Being on the receiving end of that sucks. There are so few ways of dealing with it in the early game.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

When a hero gets the apex 'winter immunity' skill, does that also apply to output from the city where they are governor?

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

BadOptics posted:

Yeah, but seeing how it's "giving" everyone an hour it shouldn't be a problem. There's also an event notification I made on the Goonless Legend steam group which I assume will account for the time change. If you need an invite to it just shoot me a message on Steam (my steam ID is the same as my SA name).

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GOONLESS

I'd be down for a Sunday game. Sent you a friend invite as Altimatum7.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Stabbatical posted:

One of the things the tutorial didn't make clear to me was that I'm actually meant to be following the main faction quest. I've been playing it too Civ-ly so far and trying to make cities, build armies, and get loads of techs. I may start a new game with that in mind. How worthwhile are trying to build the legendary buildings or do the era tasks? Also, how do I increase my Influence points? The AI's diplomacy screens say they all have thousands of them but I keep finding myself at the times when it's time to make empire plans and I can't get enough to do anything with it. I've not been spending them, they're just accumulating really slowly.

It's a totally valid strategy to play without completing or prioritizing the faction quest. It's more of a nice-to-have unless you're specifically gunning for that type of victory. When I get stuck with a 'capture this random city on the other side of the map' quests I know I'm probably not going to finish the questline in that game.

Legendary buildings are good, but not worth completely sidelining your best production cities for unless you can finish them quickly. I pretty much always get 2-4 of them as cultist, and usually get 1-2 of them as some of the more production-oriented factions (playing on the higher difficulties). If you can get all 5 it means you're probably running away with the game.

Unless you're the Cult, influence points tend to be more of a mid and late-game focus, as most of the buildings that provide influence are later in the tech tree relative to food/dust/industry/science. The empire plans are collectively very powerful, so the rewards for generating a lot of influence later in the game are substantial. Early game it's much less important than the other resources (for most strategies) unless you're the cult or drakken.

Seconding the importance of getting Cult heroes as city governors as fast as possible. They easily pay for themselves and when they start accumulating levels the bonuses are massive and help on everything you could possibly be doing with your cities. Research Marketplace and save up for that first hero asap.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

I find it helpful to think about techs not just in terms of what I want to prioritize, but also what techs I can do without. Some of them are crappy or simply not applicable to certain strategies (playing on a Pangea map? probably don't need those boat techs. Don't research strategic weapons/armor unless you have the resources to actually use them. The stockpile and buyout-bonus techs are also pretty strategy-dependent), and in those cases it's one less tech that you have to worry about. This is one of the areas where doing what works well in the Civ series doesn't really apply, and in fact can be counterproductive.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Early access for ES2 is fine, but it's not a complete game yet by any measure. Based on Amplitudes track record, there's no reason to believe that they won't complete it, so if you liked EL or ES1 and think you'll eventually want to play the next 4X iteration, it's probably worth picking up cheap for now and then sitting on it (I'm assuming it will go up in price on release).

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

I can't make the forgotten work on higher difficulties. I get stuck in Era II with zero income and (now that that one fortress cuts your influence income) minimal influence income. Someone once posted a guide to getting over this hump (I'm hoping it gets better, otherwise I can't see how the forgotten are viable at this level), anyone know where it went? I looked in the steam guides and couldn't find the right one.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

I can't make the forgotten work on higher difficulties. I get stuck in Era II with zero income and (now that that one fortress cuts your influence income) minimal influence income. Someone once posted a guide to getting over this hump (I'm hoping it gets better, otherwise I can't see how the forgotten are viable at this level), anyone know where it went? I looked in the steam guides and couldn't find the right one.

Impossible. I can usually win on that difficulty as other races.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Pretty sure you can research a tech that allows them to be built like any other unit.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

One thing I really like about Amplitude is that unlike many small studios, they (in the past) keep plugging away at issues until the final game was polished and stuffed with post-launch content. EL in its final form is a gem, even if the playstyle isn't your jam. I think Amplitude has ruined the Civ series for me, I can never go back.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Fantasy setting aside, Endless Legend is what the Civ series could have been if Firaxis had continued innovating the gameplay instead of letting the series stagnate over the last decade.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Node posted:

In EL, where can I find a good guide on how to pace myself in terms of research and expansion? Or a rule of thumb? I have no idea how well I am doing compared to the AI - is there a way to check my empire's stats versus them?

This is the guide you want:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=635764665

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

I've found it really hard to get excited about civs in the Civilization series after the Endless games. There's the civ approach, of "+1 Industry Under Quite Specific Circumstances," and the Endless approach of balancing things by giving everyone absolutely enormous bonuses.

EL has made me realize just how little the Civilization series has evolved since the 1990s. The level of gameplay innovation (or lack thereof) is just incomparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Speedball posted:

They seemed to have added a lot of new anomalies to EL with Inferno too. Interesting.

And...lava rivers? Huh.

The first few times I lost half my army's life to lava rivers were quite the surprise.