Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
ES is a very flawed game on many levels in terms of gameplay, but holy poo poo did they do interface and interface interaction right. I can't think of a single 4X game up until that point with such a smooth and easy to navigate interface. Even 4Xs released today often fall short of what they did back when it released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

HiKaizer posted:

I don't know if people hate ES, certainly not in the way they might dislike SotS2 or Stardrive. But it was a much rougher project than Endless Legend. Amplitude obviously learned a lot from it and they tried to work on some of its flaws with the expansion.

The reason why I rag on ES so hard is because everything except the gameplay was so loving good. Art, UI, non-fan-hosed content, it was all super slick. Which just made the disappointment all the more hard hitting that the core of the game wasn't up to snuff. If the rest of it was as bland and imbalanced as the core gameplay, I'd have played it for a couple of hours and dropped it like I do most 4x games. But the presentation hooked me enough that I dumped 50 some hours into it instead of dropping it and forgetting it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

IAmTheRad posted:

Is Endless Space 2 worth it right now in the current state? I know it's 25% less than it will be when it hits beta of Early Access according to the news for the game. I do like me some 4X strategy games.

I mean is it worth it more than Master of Orion or Stellaris?

If you want something to play right now, I'd probably avoid Endless Space. It is very much in an unfinished state. Stellaris has a new expansion hitting soon which should improve things for it, while MoO4 is just very a very polished ehhhhhh game.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Vaulters are a science faction, so it'd be sort of redundant with Sophons already doing their thing. I guess you could shift their focus to something else, but their secondary focus always felt like Defense, and defensive stuff tends to blow.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Kassad posted:

You can also make custom Broken Lords who get +30% Dust per city.

Yeah, Broken Broken Lords is pretty much insane. Just grab all the dust boosters and the Necro district discount and laugh.

Or do Cultists with the Necro district discount.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Broken Lords are super fun, am I supposed to just be pumping out a ludicrous amount of cities and units and rushing all my constructions with my insane dust income or will this bite me in the rear end

Nope. That's it really.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Tree Bucket posted:

Hang on, what's an SSLP?

Sexy Sexy Lan Party

Screenshot Let's Play

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

edit: and I'm not trying to directly outright trash ES2 as its a problem with many games; I love ES2's aesthetic and the UI and the interesting take on empire and planetary management, but I'm a little tired of all of the half-measures taken in combat design in space 4x games these days.

:hmmyes:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Rhjamiz posted:

Let's all take a moment to mourn Sword of the Stars 2.

We don't talk about that here. This is a safe space.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Tulip posted:

It's possible we're playing different games but Civ5&6 as well as the Paradox series, which are the main ones I hear talked about, are dramatically easier, especially in terms of AI. Civ AIs in the hex era are at the level where they aren't opponents, they're resources.

The amount of hours you'd have to put into EU4 to be successful with a majority of starts in it is pretty high, even on normal difficulties. The amount of hours you need to put into ES2 to play any faction is a lot lower. Now granted, a portion of that is complexity and not depth, but warfare in EU4 has a lot of depth when it comes to maneuvering, politically and militarily, and you need to utilize both aspects to succeed. ES2 lacks that depth, as beating the AI requires incredibly little of the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Tulip posted:

A game that reflected most of the more coherent philosophies of history would probably be really unfun since feedback takes centuries and you wouldn't control "an empire" but like "a person who tries to tell administrators and mobs what to do and hopes for the best." Plus you can't "win" history.

Sure you can. Oblivion is the final destination of all mortal toil after all.

Now I want to play a God game where the goal is to trainwreck civilization indirectly.