Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mister Adequate posted:

I'm ready to once again be Horatio,
We are all Horatio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

Are Vodyani at all related to the Broken Lords, technology-wise? They seem to sustain themselves using Endless technology in a similar way.
Vodyani seem interesting. They have a unique resource called Essence which can be used to create more population or a new ark. Arks are giant ships that act as factories, colonizers, etc. You set up an ark in a solar system and any eligible planets count as colonized as long as it's there. You can pick up and leave at any time though I don't know if there are any consequences such as removing improvements or losing population. Unfortunately, the only way to get Essence is by leeching it off of other empires. The first order of business as the Vodyani is finding a neutral race or an enemy system and setting up some leechers. Without Essence you're dead in the water as you can't build arks and you can't expand to other systems. Leechers are expensive to produce and as a bonus you'll piss off whoever you're using them on.

With all of that said, I wouldn't compare them to the Broken Lords much. They share thematic elements, but they've got their own thing going on; they're not dust-making machines. Definitely interesting though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've been tinkering some more with the Vodyani and I really like their play style. They're slow to get going, but once you can find a good place to siphon Essence from they come into their own. It's not fun losing an ark to ground assault that somehow bypasses your fleet and the ark itself, but I'm hoping that will get fixed at some point. I actually have no idea how to do ground assaults/defenses well. Ships take forever to restock their manpower even in my own territory with the right laws in place.

Also, do shields block everything or are they only useful against energy weapons?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's intended, but I once prevented a ground assault by minimizing the pop-up and attacking the enemy fleet. The ground assault still happened, but the enemy had 0 troops. :v:

Clarste posted:

Manpower is produced by food, so the Vodyani are exceptionally bad at it. You basically need to build up an empire stockpile of it, and the fastest way to do that is the "draft" button available on the military screen. It consumes influence and food (ie: population) to max out your stockpile.
It took me forever to find that stupid button. I thought it would be planet-specific and instead it's just tossed in with the ship designs. Time to start a new game where I don't waste 25 turns building up manpower.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 8, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Remember how long it took them to implement razing in Endless Space 1? They learned their lesson.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The UE are an awesome faction. Being able to buy out construction with influence is great and it's easy to make a shitload of the stuff. Their faction quest is about the Emperor dealing with a coup attempt and guiding the empire to secure his legacy. Sheredyn and Mezari get name-dropped as path options at one point.

I still have no loving clue how ground invasions work. I siege a system down to 0 manpower before launching an invasion and I still lose.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is the hero the ghost dude from before?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've already sunk a bunch of time into Endless Space 2 and it's getting there, but I probably wouldn't buy it just yet unless you absolutely must play it right now. I don't regret getting it at all, it's simply unfinished and some things can be kind of goofy, like the pirate spawns. I haven't played in a while, but they kind of over-tuned them in the last major update and they turned into an unending horde. It wasn't uncommon for me to see some systems that had like 30+ ships in them or en route somwhere. These would be broken up into fleets of 4 or 5 ships so it was pretty trivial for one of my murderfleets to park somewhere and clean them up. It just got really, really annoying having to deal with like 10 sequential battle prompts every turn.

So, yeah, definitely not finished, but it's shaping up to be really, really good. I love playing as the Vodyani; they've just got such a neat gimmick.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So, uh, how exactly do you build armor units for ground combat? I have the tech researched, but there's no module or anything.

I played tons of early access and was never able to figure it out. :downs:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

Go to the military screen and there's a button to fiddle with army composition, under the troops recruited/expended ledger.
:wtc:

There's a bunch of purchasable upgrades and everything. What the fuuuuuuuck. :psyduck:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing a game as the Vodyani and I think I've encountered a bug. I took over a system after wiping out the Cravers populating it, but there were still a couple of units of Guardians that stuck around. I sent an ark to the system, colonized it, but I can do absolutely nothing with it. I can't even uproot the ark. It's been a good 20-30 turns by now so I'm not sure what's up with it.

I have a feeling the Guardians screwed things up.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

The Guardians are supposed to be unremovable. They're a form of leverage for the Unfallen on hostile empires. (If the Unfallen dislike you, they provide nasty maluses)
Yeah, I got that. If they just took up space it'd be fine, but they are making my arks completely unusable. My colonies have zero options and I can't build anything or detach the arks themselves.

It's a reproducible bug. I have had it happen to multiple colonies now.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm just going to leave this here:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know it's already been said, but ground combat is some bullshit. I'm currently playing Cravers and started invading my neighbors around early- to mid-game. The first couple of planets went easily as they hadn't had a chance to build up. Then I hit a 3 planet system and ground to halt. I've spent like the last 20 turns ferrying manpower in and have only now managed to get through their population, preventing them getting more troops. Dropping a never-ending stream of invaders is Craver as gently caress, but this is just lovely gameplay.

I typically wait until later when I can build up a dedicated bombardment/invasion fleet, but I figured I'd get a head start since I was playing Cravers. It wasn't worth it.

Ground combat is really my main complaint about ES2 so I guess I can live with it. Hopefully Amplitude takes another look at it later. Space combat is kind of bland too, but at least it's not nearly as aggravating.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Onean posted:

There's early techs for manpower modules. There's also a fairly early tech for a module that increases the siege damage you do, and it stacks both on a ship and across a fleet. You can have more than one of each class of ship. Building a ground combat focused fleet using the small class ships is perfectly possible early game.
True, I didn't do that. However, the game limits how much manpower is used per battle so as long as a decent system keeps sacrificing its population it's extremely hard to conquer no matter how much you throw at it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avasculous posted:

The Craver questline reward is impressively lame.

You get your choice of:
-Defeat an NPC fleet -> gain the ability to ignore forced truces for free.
-Control 74 planets (about half the loving galaxy) -> Gain 2 Influence for every CP of ships you destroy.

I miss the Endless Legend questlines, which were twice as long and often totally undoable, but gave suitably massive rewards.
Huh, when I got that quest as Cravers it was only 16 planets. What size galaxy are you playing in? I was on Large so maybe it scales.

I agree that the faction questions are kind of lame so far. Surprisingly short, really. Endless Legend's were much better. The Craver's questline is all about rediscovering the Virtual Endless and either rejecting them or embracing them as their rules again. Results should be a bit more interesting than +2 Influence per destroyed command point. :downs:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

So now that this game is officially "out" will they continue to develop it like Stellaris or is this it? Because this feels like a pretty good start but the game still has some huge weakspots begging for expansions and patches.
Given their track record? Absolutely.

Just looking at their last 4X, Endless Legend, it got numerous expansions and each added a whole new mechanic to the game. Espionage, a new resource called pearls which were generated during winter, and eventually the oceans were opened up. Each also brought a new race built around the new mechanic. It's safe to assume Endless Space 2 will get a similar treatment.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone was wondering, combat still gives practically zero xp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Simultaneously the worst possible city yet somehow invincible.