Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's a small thing, but the wiki has one hero where her bio nonchalantly refers to her saving her wife in her backstory and working hard to maintain their relationship even after she's been augmented by dust. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Defiance Industries posted:

I liked the Empire in ES a lot. Cool imagery in their art, big blocky ships are my jam and plus they blended together authoritarian politics and Plutocracy.

I suspect that if humanity is a major race in ES2, it's going to be Horatio. They were never a faction I enjoyed, but they're apparently very popular with the fanbase on the official site.

Not a fan of the new Roving Clans faction. A film noir mafia group that got lost and wound up an interstellar civilization, and also has an extremely boring visual design (humanoid frogs, wheeee) just doesn't grab me.

And the Hissho got demoted to a minor race. :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mokinokaro posted:

I really hope not. I don't like Horatio at all.

As for the Lumeris, I agree on their aesthetics being rather dull but their mechanics sound like a lot of fun.

The new minor race robots also sound like they're a straight find/replace for the Sowers, so I'll be surprised if we see them come back which is a shame. Another of the new minor races is so striking close to WoW's pandarens I'm impressed they're getting away with it, even if the ES2 version are four-armed yetis instead of pandas.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

berenzen posted:

Do we know if there's a necrophage-like race for ES2? I just wanna consume the galaxy in murderbugs.

Cravers, same as in ES1.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Demiurge4 posted:

It's the same thing this time. Expect now races are represented as their own populations and Cravers will use them as slaves, giving you great production on systems with high alien populations but killing them over time (replacing them with less productive Craver pops).

I wonder how that works if a non-Craver empire ends up controlling Craver populations - if you conquer Craver worlds, Cravers will start to enslave and devour your other pops ala the Harvesters from MOO3. If they do...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Defiance Industries posted:

That's basically the experience I had that hooked me on ES1. Finally figured out wormhole technology and jump through to the galactic core, OH poo poo the entire galaxy is overrun by Cravers and the wormhole back to my region just became the most important fortification in the galaxy.

The Harmony are just as bad. They're only hostile to Dust and are in fact normally a very chill, if very alien-thinking race. But God help you if you let them snowball, the Harmony play strikingly different from every other race in ES1 and go from very weak early on to terrifying if they can get the territory and momentum.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mokinokaro posted:

Actually wouldn't be surprised to see Harmony back

They'd make an interesting gameplay counter to the mafia frogs, and the Harmony were in Endless Legend, too, albeit as a minor race.

Somewhat disappointed that the religious-focused race so far is painted as a bunch of fanatical crusading assholes, though. They're pretty clearly a sci-fi version of the Broken Lords, but I hope the Vodyani are more sympathetic in the full game. I like their aesthetic and I'm usually a fan of religion-focused races/factions in concept, but most games like portraying them as super aggressive fanatics (spiritual races can get away with being peaceful, but not religious.)

If I had to guess I'd say the other four factions (barring any totally new race - wouldn't be surprised to see a plant or fungus race) are the Horatio (they're REALLY popular on the official forums), the Harmony, the Vaulters, and the Automatons.

I'm wondering if the Sowers will return as a minor race. The Epistis minor race sure sound like the Sowers, just with the Endless origin replaced by a nameless minor race. Pilgrims, Amoeba, and Sheredyn would all fit in pretty well as minors, and the Horatio if they're not a major race.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jastiger posted:

How could one factioms religious devotion NOT step on other toes with divine mandates?

A religion that condemns violence? Religion doesn't have to be violent, I could easily see a religious faction based around culture, or diplomacy, or simply making their own people really happy and content. Or a religion that is explicitly okay with the existence of other faiths, or emphasizes how you should be examples and let others see your example and follow you.

That would have been vastly more interesting to me than the really, really blatant Battlestar Galactica homage the Vodyani are currently - if they're amazing at handling approval and will happily live anywhere and put up with the worst conditions because of the peace and solace faith brings them, or perhaps overlapped with an industrial or agricultural focus. Would be doubly interesting if they then had an active, passive, or combination of both mechanic that converted other pops to Vodyani, representing them spreading their faith (potentially by force, but ideally peacefully as well) and converting the galaxy to their faith and way of life.

That could make for an extremely interesting dynamic for non-Vodyani players. Vodyani evangelism makes for happy and perhaps highly productive pops, but at the cost of potentially subverting your own empire out from under you.

That does admittedly call to mind other unfortunate stereotypes about religion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Clarste posted:

I seem to be unusual in this, but the faction I'd most like to see return is the Sowers. The idea of of a sentient terraforming machine that views everyone else in the universe as irrelevant at best and potential obstacles at worst in a grand quest to terraform the universe strikes a chord with me as a "cool alien", and the very nature of ignoring food and planetary climate entirely has a lot of potential for creating unique gameplay (which to be fair, wasn't fully realized in ES). I mean, seriously, think of how weird they could be. They don't care about having an empire or controlling space, they just care about terraforming planets. Heck, maybe they invite other species to live on their planets when they're done with them. Use the immigration system or something? I just think they have the most potential to be re-imagined in a post-EL world.

I like the Sowers, but one of the existing minor races is the Sowers in all but name with the backstory changed slightly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My money's on Horatio, they're super-popular on the official forums.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Demiurge4 posted:

Cravers don't kill off other pops and if you conquer them there's no way to avoid them depleting your planets, which could get very annoying if they spread around your other systems.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hiveminded posted:

Cravers already gain a very significant FIDSI income boost for the presence of other aliens on their planets, more than enough to offset the depletion penalty. Clearly, the most optimal path for this race of murderously-hungry space locust cyborgs is as a multicultural utopia run by a pacifist senate.

Hey, the Cravers are a hive mind - not an extreme one, but they do have some shared consciousness/thinking going. Seems actually pretty appropriate for a species that thinks that way to be big on multiculturalism and many coming together as one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

spider wisdom posted:

I keep hoping one of the Endless games will incorporate a chill, hermetic race of rock dudes like the Silicoids from MoO. Stellaris has let me down too.

You did play Endless Space 1, right? The Harmony are pretty easygoing as an AI in my experience.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I picked up Endless Legend while it was on sale, and does anyone have a good beginner's guide? I'm muddling along decently well as the Ardent Mages, but I'm unclear what I should be doing to make the most of things. I have Drakken and Vaulters for neighbors and both have been chill so far.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Speedball posted:

Another tip I forgot: ASSIMILATION! When you pacify villages (or brainwash them as the Cult) you can make one minor faction part of your empire. This gives you a bonus based on how many of that minor faction's villages you have, and also lets you build their units. This is really important if you have a strategic hole in your army's composition. For example, the Aquamen are crappy on land, and the Forsaken's units are based around agility rather than raw strength.

As the Ardent Mages, I assimilated the hydras immediately and never regretted it. Stopped building warlocks entirely, the hydras did a wonderful job manning the front lines while sorcerers annihilated everything. Not even sure what enequa wings do besides their respawn ability, hydras and sorcerers were a sufficient one-two punch to gut everything that crossed me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Speedball posted:

Hydras are amazing. Huge, powerful, and they attack everything around them. In the kind of clusters most battles turn into these guys rip up enemies. Their assimilation bonus isn't half bad either.

Would you mind giving a rundown on the minors and how useful they are? I ended up with three in my Ardent Mages game - the hydras, who I recruited mainly for their units, the Harmony, who I grabbed for their assimilation bonus, and the Sisters of Mercy because I had eight villages of them in my territory.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm working on a new game of Legend as the Vaulters, and is it just me or are Daemons really, really good? I'm eradicating a Necrophage player with a deathstack of two daemons, a vaulter hero built on the left tree, and a bunch of marines, and there's not much the Necrophages have been able to do about it.

And, where the hell is this city I need to take over for the stage 4 or 5 quest?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Seriously, where is this drat city I need to conquer for the Vaulter quest? I exterminated the Necrophages on general principle with my deathstack of marines and daemons, and still haven't found it. I don't really want to go conquering all of Auriga looking for this one city.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Speedball posted:

Since I'm not at your computer I can't help you much, but...

Okay, does it say the city/territory name? Is there a little compass icon you can click on in the quest description to warp your quest location?

If neither of those are true, then trade for the maps with every faction you can. That ought to reveal most of the territory you haven't covered yet.

Nope, can't warp to the quest location and the Roving Clans, Ardent Mages, and Drakken are too afraid of me to trade maps without very hefty bribes. :v:

Think I'll just go for a science victory.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just wiped out two AI factions of Necrophages as the Ardent Mages. Man that's an awkward match-up, or at least it was until I researched my third assimilation slot and recruited a bunch of justicars. Till the not-Sisters of Battle hit the field, it was a whole lot of dead BDSM mages and undead bugs on both sides.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

And holy poo poo are they cool. This is what the Harmony should have been.

Check the Academy page for Riftborn names.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Baronjutter posted:

No, my magic fantasy robots escaped. No!!!!
Where did all the species on this arugula come from? Obviously the humans are just crashed vaulters or what ever, but what about the rest?

"The Vaulters, who descended from those very prisoners managed to build a ship, and were the only ones who managed to escape before a magneto-gravitational cataclysm froze the whole planet, a disaster that killed everyone else, including the Allayi, the planet's original native race."
Yeah actually it was the broken lords who did this, so why aren't they in ES2?? Explain that.

There is a Broken Lord hero in ES1.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KPC_Mammon posted:

How long did it take for people to hate Beyond Earth?

The day it was announced and confirmed it wasn't SMAC 2. :v:

Keeping an eye on this game. Endless Space and Endless Legend were such badly mixed bags for me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cease to Hope posted:

If you were iffy about Endless Legend, this probably isn't going to be for you. It's Endless Legend plus some of ES's bad ideas.

Endless Legend, to me, was a case of "this would probably be a really deep and engaging game if I could figure out how the gently caress to actually play it well." Never gelled with me at all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm wondering if the Harmony are being reserved for an expansion because their central gimmick of not using dust would have much more significant consequences in this game - among other things you'd have to ask if the Vodyani leeching would work on them at all, and they'd obviously have a very different relationship with the Academy who play a bigger role in this game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Strategic Tea posted:

Excuse me temperate planets are full of creeping plants and sloshy water and frankly they are disgusting.
_________________________/

It's me, I'm the one who liked to terraform every defeated enemy race's homeworld into a volcanic hellscape or frozen wasteland in ES1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cease to Hope posted:

There's a victory cutscene.

Is it like EL where it's just your race's leader cut and pasted into the middle of the same generic victory scene?