Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Is Endless Space 2 worth it right now in the current state? I know it's 25% less than it will be when it hits beta of Early Access according to the news for the game. I do like me some 4X strategy games.

I mean is it worth it more than Master of Orion or Stellaris?

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Biggest problem is the price. Endless Space 2 is much cheaper than Stellaris, and with an expansion I'd bet I'd need to grab that as well to "enjoy" the game. I don't really like the idea of a real time strategy game. I didn't like Sins of the Solar Empire because of the realtime gameplay, but just loved Galactic Civilizations II. Heck, something to play right now I'd just reinstall GalCiv2. I like taking my time when playing 4X games.

I know Endless Space 2 isn't finished. If it was, I would have a much easier choice by just looking at the finished products. I enjoyed the hell out of Endless Space 1. I like Endless Legend even if I am garbage at it. Dungeons of the Endless is also enjoyable. So to me, Amplitude Studios has a very good track record. I don't mind playing a half finished game.

Edit: If it's garbage I'll just get a Steam refund. Woo.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 8, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Well, I did bite the bullet and purchased Endless Space 2 (Digital Deluxe). I have the special editions of all the other titles so what the hell.

Combat is very pretty when you watch it. I had a flagship with a hero in it who single handedly took out an entire wing of 3 enemy ships before the rest of my ships could get in range. I want my regular ships to eject their hot sticky loads of plasma into the enemy.

I just don't can't find any planets that the drat space cartel didn't buy up already to make their own colony that I can settle on. Or one that this minor faction owns. How can I do the quest to place a building inside a minor faction controlled system when I can't even put a colony ship on the minor faction controlled system when I have the tech to settle on one of their planets?

--
A patch in the near future will make it so you can play past the turn limit of 125 if you want to.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 8, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I believe they will put in a 'Human' civilization. In one of the promo pictures, they have human scientists working with a Sophon.
to be exact.

The question is are they going to go with something new, something from Endless Space, or Endless Legend? Perhaps both, by putting in the Vaulters. They seem to really like them for some reason.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

I'm playing some EL for the first time since not enjoying it at release: Can I not build districts over ruins? It's rather annoying since they are blocking the direct route to a sweet tile.

I hope Empire returns in ES2, evil space humans are the best race.

90% of the cool new stuff for Stellaris is going to be in the free patch, the DLC is a fairly minor story pack. For the real time aspect, have you played any Paradox game? It's not like an RTS.

I already got Endless Space 2. I'm enjoying it even while it's an unfinished early access game.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Well, they also use humans in the Craver load screen.

We can guess at future factions. There is one known for certain. The other 3 are still a mystery, but probably not for Amplitude.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Tanith posted:

Am I going crazy, or did you flip this image horizontally for some reason? I could swear that when I saw this as a loading screen, it was going the other way.

It's been flipped for some reason. It's bay 60. Not bay a0

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Looks like in the future, the Marketplace could be used to buy/sell ships. Of course the marketplace isn't in the game at all yet, and they haven't even put out a Game Design Document about the marketplace. But they are going to have fighters/bombers, different hulls are going to have bonuses, there aren't more 'plays' for the different attacks you can do.

It will be amazing to have a empire that focuses solely on making money and buying ships to field their entire warfleet.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

An tier 1 (or starting) tech should let you put production into research, food or something. You very quickly run out of things to build. If the marketplace was implemented into the game, just sell crippled as hell ships to the market to keep your economy running. Every one of my planets has all improvements built on it. I don't have the money to keep making ships. Can't afford the upkeep. Every turn the game keeps on telling me that there is no production on every single planet.
I know, game. I just have nothing I can do.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Era I just feels slow. There's not much to do. Of course, the game being in early access and all makes it seem slower than usual. A large galaxy with eight different circulations, all the minor factions, a greatly expanded tech tree, more to discover will expand the game and give more stuff to do in Era I.
One thing they should do for colonization is have techs that allow more of a range of planets rather than just one. There probably isn't much of a difference between tundra and arctic, for example.

I do hope that the current faction bonuses aren't final. Add a couple that won't be used so that when we make our own custom races that we can make more varied types of factions. Even if the United Empire is in the game, I might want to make a united empire look alike that is all about peace and harmony with the galaxy.

Or just make the extremely broken Lords as you could do in EL.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Clarste posted:

Oh, I misunderstood what you said. What kinds of unique, non-scaling traits have existed in previous games?

I know the vaulters one!
They could build a portal in any system they controlled that let them travel to any other system that they built a portal in.
Only vaulters could use it. You could have a system that was amazing at building ships in the middle of your empire. It would take a while to get to the fringes of your empire, or perhaps you made an outpost in the middle of nowhere basically. It would take a while to travel there normally. But as the vaulters, you could travel there instantly as long as you built the portal in the two systems.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Here's a list of the traits that were in the original Endless Space

http://endlessspace.wikia.com/wiki/Custom_factions

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I kept on having this one enemy fleet fly through one of my systems even when I had a fleet sitting there.
When I put guard on, the fleet had to stop so I could shoot em.

One thing I think they should do for colonization techs is make the techs in T1 be close to what you actually start on. If you start on a desert planet, it should be easier to settle on an Arid or Grasslands planet rather than an Ocean faring species settling in a Desert in the first tier of technology. Obviously some of the more unique planets like Auriga should be harder to settle on requiring special events. Even if you come from an Arctic type of planet, the outrageously harsh endless winter on Auriga would be a problem to deal with.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 11, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Can there really be a beta patch for an alpha of a game?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Finished my collection for Endless Legend. Including Tempest.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

I have yet to fields a carrier class hull, what are they for? Manpower modules and support stuff?

Right now, carriers aren't really worth it without fighters or bombers. Or the actual manpower that will make ground combat better when you drop tanks and planes and stuff on the enemy.

They posted what they want to get done in early access.
https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forum/65-general/thread/21182-endless-space-2-improve-list-post-early-access

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 12, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

0.1.3 patch is out on Steam as the main release build now.

Combat is really terrible right now. But it's alpha. The game isn't even in a beta state, and the combat right now is merely functional. It sure is pretty, but there is absolutely no strategy involved. Endless Space 1 combat is a whole lot better than the combat model right now. I just hope they stick to their guns and don't make it a real time strategy. I really hate when a 4X game makes combat into a different type of strategy game. I play turn based strategy games to have some semblance of turn based.

The combat in nuMoO from what I've seen in videos is fine. That's not real time strategy in terms of a strategy game.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Era 1 seems like the era where you should expand your empire. The problem is that there are too few planets you can natively settle on. You need to take the colonization techs in order to settle on planets that will be spread throughout the map.
Unlike Endless Legend, you have almost no control on where you can actually put colonies.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

There's a reason the broken lords are called "Broken".

A custom faction using them as the base can be the extremely broken lords.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Any suggestions for a first time player's play-through of EL? All expansions.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

So, Steam saying that Tempest isn't installed is just Steam fooling?

I mean inside Endless Legend it says Tempest is activated.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Overminty posted:

There's a TBD thread for ES2: https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forum/65-general/thread/21182-endless-space-2-improve-list-post-early-access

One the things there under high priority is "Space Battle : Play Deck management". Battle cards coming back?

I believe they are going to slightly change the battle cards. Perhaps they will have different battle cards for different formations? That will let you play each different formation to their strengths, as long as you can choose the formations yourself.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I am playing a game of Endless Legend as the Wild Walkers, finally.

I have a quest that says go to these ruins with 4 ranged units and 2 minor faction units. Can I use 2 from the same faction, or do I need 2 different ones?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I didn't really give Endless Legend a good shot.

I am playing as the Wild Walkers and enjoying myself now. Still learning how to play the game, but at least I am not bleeding dust at a massive rate every turn.
-
Hissho are in Endless Space 2. They have been degraded into a minor faction.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 14, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The references to Sowers could also just be getting a unique tech from a quest chain revolving around the sowers, of course.

We know of two factions that will be in the game for sure. A human one, and the contest one.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

That TNG episode was okay

No episode will ever top the apex of Star Trek episodes of all time.

Spock's Brain.
Give me a major faction based off Spock's Brain.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

BitterAvatar posted:

So I just got into EL and I can't tell if I'm doing well? I'm playing on easy and my 'score' at each turn seems to be #1 or #2, but I've been beaten to every legendary building I've tried to build. Also no idea how many cities I should be trying to have at Era 3.

Exactly 1 if you play as the Cultists.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

When you see the loading screen of the cravers, you see the humans inside the pits to be snatched up by the cravers.
They probably just replace the humans they work to death with another one from the pit.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

EL was my introduction to the Endless series of games, and I played the poo poo out of it and loved it. So I got ES2's Alpha and I am completely lost at this game. I have no idea what to do or research or anything. It just feels so completely different from EL that I can't transfer that gameplay knowledge to this one. Here's hoping they have tutorials or something when the game gets fully released? Are there any youtube tutorials on ES2's alpha, or would ES1's tutorials give me a decent enough background on the basics?

There will be a tutorial when the game is released.
The closest you will get to an actual tutorial for ES2 is buying ES1 and playing that to understand some of the gameplay aspects behind the game. But a whole lot has changed between ES1 and ES2.

You won't find a tutorial on YouTube of how to play ES2 as it's in alpha, and many things are going to change.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

On related note I can't help but lol that they had the Very Good and Smart idea to include a "don't allow random AIs to roll the same faction" option....

... but the game considers Vaulters and Mezari different factions :downs:

If you want to make sure, choose your factions yourself.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The absolute basics, like how to operate the game. Not "how to play effectively" but how to actually play the game.
A whole lot of things changed between ES1 and ES2, but ES1 will teach you the bare basics of the game, in order to be able to play it. You'll probably still be a little lost, but the game being in alpha doesn't explain a whole lot of things that are new for the different factions.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Seems multiple cultist cities only has popped up since Tempest was released.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

BadOptics posted:

Sending out feelers for a possible EL game this coming Sunday @ 0900 (CST/UTC-6). All DLC will be available, so if you want to give the new content a try you'll be in luck. New players are welcome as well!

Doesn't the clock go back one hour this Sunday?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Next Endless Space 2 major update will introduce a new major faction.
Basically every major update up to and including release will have a new major faction. They are saying the final released faction will probable be the Unfallen.

They want to make a major update every 3 weeks, and that was posted 11 days ago.
They basically want to do 2 weeks of development, 1 week of stabilizing what they put into the game.

They want 3 more major updates, and then the final update which will be the release. If they stick to the schedule, the game should be released by February.

The next major update will NOT have space battle improvements. They said they were too complex to put into the next major update but will be in the 2nd major update. If they miss a feature they have on their roadmap, it will be in the next major release. Obviously if they miss something for the release, it'll be in the release.

The release instead will be 5 weeks of a development time. A long month, basically.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

They had to add a human faction eventually.

Was just surprised they weren't one of the original 4.
Still gives me hope they will bring in the Vaulters as a major faction. They won't just put in 1 human faction.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Empire is in the game now.

Emperor's Will gives a 0.1 influence bonus per industry spent.

Their race gives +1 influence, and +1 additional on temperate.

Traits are +1 industry per population on planet, -25% over-colonization penalty on empire, and +25% maximum manpower on empire.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

If you are making mad dust, you can mad dash to research privateers and just hire mercenaries to be your army.

Of course, it doesn't make much difference right now as the combat won't be overhauled until Major Update 2.
Major Update 2 looks like beyond the new major faction, they are going to put in most of the time into the combat upgrades.

Update 3 is when multiplayer is going to be in the game. Update 4 is when they are going to say 'alright it's finished. Take it out of Early Access'.
I do wonder if they're going to do anything special for Endless Day in Endless Space 2

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Many of the great quest items require strategic resources, and they are worth every penny.
Not to mention they look awesome. Remember you can buy the resources with dust off the market. Technically you don't even need to build attacking units and can just buy an army.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

IAmUnaware posted:

It looks like the Dorgeshi got left off that chart.

I think the chart was made before the DorgeshiBurdeki were a thing. They're a cavalry unit, at least.

All the minor faction units and their stats, at least.

(PRD is production, so about how much it would cost to build one of them)

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The benefit to grabbing it now is you'll get a better price.

At least, until it goes on sale for the first time. It's not on sale now, and probably won't be until a month or two after release. Depends if Steam has a Spring sale or not, I guess.