Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Sailor Dave posted:

Am I getting the wrong tech? Should I be focusing more on getting more colonies? I'm always afraid to spread out because of the dust upkeep costs and the fact that I can only have 6 colonies before I hit over-colonization.

Another minor annoying thing I saw during my Vodyani game was the AI constantly retreating. I had an ark in two enemy colonies next to each other, and every time I beat up the ships in one of them, they'd retreat at half health to the other and somehow be at full health by the time they arrived, over and over. I was fighting Riftborn which are pretty slow, but surely they aren't healing the entire time they're in a starlane? How the hell do I get rid of these ships if they're just going to keep running away?

Colonies are super important. You want to be pushing those out as quickly as your FIDSI income allows you. There are techs that let you colonize more systems without penalties, and getting to 8 or 10 is pretty easy.

As for retreating, it is annoying. I didn't find a good option until tier 5 military tech where one of them gives you the Full Reserves battle tactic that gives you free action points, letting you attack more than once a round. Another option is a bit fiddly since it requires you having faster ships and the enemy not able to reach the next system in one move. If you can beat a retreating fleet to the system they're running to, guarding the system will force them to stop, giving you another chance to wipe them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Basic Chunnel posted:

The way I played (with Unfallen) was to keep a good buffer of one or two systems between my closest neighbor (unless they're Craven, in which case I restart), then build up resources on my side til I have enough to broker peace. Once you've got a peace treaty it seems like things stay pretty steady.

What difficulty are you playing at? With two games playing as Unfallen next to the Cravers, I had no problems with them on Normal. Find a choke point to hold, sit a fleet on Guard there, and their fleets were never really an issue. Push in to their systems when they declare war and take out one or two, and they'll be crippled for the rest of the game since they can't expand past you until they unlock more tech, which puts them severely behind.

Avasculous posted:

Actually, the main thing that annoys me is the potency (and ease) of spamming Conscription. I think it should either have some cost (approval?) or limit (only generates infantry?) added to it.

There is a cost to Conscription, a very serious one since it kills a population when used.

Edit: And if paired with the tech that let's your systems produce manpower at the cost of a population, that's two pop a turn.

Onean fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 27, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
That's fair on the delay. I think it's kind of intended though, since it gives the defending force some time to respond so you don't just immediately lose a system if you're attacked and your closest fleet is on the other side of your empire. It's probably too many turns, though.

For the cost to attackers, I haven't had any issues with it. I've only played a few games past turn 70 though, and they've all been Unfallen. By the point I'm seriously going after enemy systems I already have my maximum systems before penalties, and likely already am far enough ahead of everyone else in the game I don't need any more anyways. Edit: And when I did take planets, having more space for my pops was preferable to keeping their pops.

I think I need to step up the difficulty a couple levels, which is weird for me. Even though I really enjoy the 4X genre, I've always been awful at them and rarely play higher than Normal. I have had hardly any of the complaints towards space combat I see around the web, or ground combat I see in this thread. Maybe it's just my kind of playstyle, I don't know.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Comstar posted:

How do I decrease the penalty for "Over Colonisation"? There is ONE tech I see that does it, which removes it from -120 to -100.

What ship is the best one to convert to a troop "I need 500,000,000,000 men women and robots to take that one planet" transport. Is is the co-ordinator ship or is there a better hull for it?

In the ground combat, all my tanks fire and hit empty land behind the front line. Huh?

With half my empire headed into revolt I'm stun locked into Anarchy -> One Turn of random ruler -> Anarchy again.

Do you pay any upkeep for ships in a hanger?

I saw a reference to constellations, but don't see them on the map? What do they do?

Is it possible to take over a system just using influence as a culture bomb? Can you stop someone doing it without using influence in another way?

My current game seems to be stuck with a single rebel corvette "choosing it's strategy". Well played AI, getting me to start a new game and never allowing me to kill you in the current one.

There are techs that increase how many planets you can colonize without penalty, they're on the left side of the tree. You start with 6 and can research up to 12. You can check what you're at on the Empire screen.

Whatever hull has the most support module slots. Edit: Then fill those slots with your best manpower modules, which can be researched in the top tech tree. You can also compare which ship size is best by looking at the manpower number while creating a design, it's in the middle of the top row of stats in the box top right.

I don't think that matters?

See point 1. Also, build happiness improvements which are also researched on the left tree.

Yes. You can check by looking at your Military screen.

Constellations are a group of systems linked by normal starlanes. Any system you need Baryonic Radiation or the black hole tech to reach are either in a different constellation or solitary systems. If you zoom out far enough you'll see constellation names.

Yes. It needs a tech, again in the left tree. The only way to prevent it is to not let your systems fall under the influence circle (or vines if they're Unfallen) of another Empire. Your Influence generation determines how resilient your borders are against other Empires.

That's a bug that's seemingly being fixed soon, the patch is up on the beta for ES2 in Steam.

Onean fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 27, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Davincie posted:

you can mitigate the penalty with happiness buildings, personally ive never really been in threat of an actual revolution, there does seem to be a real lack of direct techs for it though, es1 had at least a few

As long as we're taking about over-colonization, that's addressed by the techs that increase how many systems you can control without penalty. Over-population, the modifier that applies to an individual system when its population gets high, is handled by just happiness improvements I believe.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, I was a little disappointed too that the higher tier curiosities were largely just more of the lower tier ones or better luxuries. That seems like a pretty simple system to improve later though, so here's hoping they do.

Amplitude was really good about filling out the middle of Endless Legend over the course of the expansions, so I hope you do take another look at it. Auto-resolving combat is perfectly fine, though you may miss an odd edge case where you can pull a victory out of a severely imbalanced matchup. Those are pretty rare unless you're aiming for them though, and if you don't like the combat there's no reason to torture yourself with it.

ES2 is a little better about the mid-game slump than most other 4X games are, but I think it's just a matter of priorities that makes almost every game in the genre launch like that. Getting the base systems in and working does take a lot of time, money and work hours, but it would be nice to have a really well balanced game that had engaging mechanics throughout​ an entire save at launch. At least with Amplitude there's a great chance we'll get some excellent content down the road that fills in any sparse stretches.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

The Deleter posted:

There were rear end in a top hat precursors, as is the norm. The Endless engineered a lot of the races in Endless Legend but I think the only races they had a direct influence on in ES2 were the Vodyani and the Cravers along with some minor races I forget. All the others either evolved on their own (UE, Sophons, Lumeris) or were influenced indirectly (Unfallen quest).

The Heart of the Unfallen is actually a Lost, not one of the Endless. (The Lost were the precursors before the Endless.) It's why, as the Unfallen, I chose to follow the Academy rather than go against it the first time I actually did that quest.

Baronjutter posted:

Did the AI get smarter and more aggressive? My usual "just focus on economy with only a basic fleet, enemies don't attack early game and they only attack with vastly superior numbers" strategy resulted in space crusaders pushing my poo poo in when everyone was only building their 3rd colony or so and had tons and tons of space.

There's a beta patch that increased AI aggressiveness and colonization, maybe that hit with the hotfix.

Edit: The hotfix you're asking about in another post:

quote:

[COMPATIBILITY]

All AMDfix changes have been ported to the main branch

[FIX]

Removed an AI optimization causing games to get stuck in a Turn pending state
Fixed an issue with the Bailiff end of turn check that caused a pending turn issue
Fixed various issues with AI handling of quests that could result in pending turns
Fixed an issue with AI diplomatic state machine sometimes getting stuck and resulting in a pending turn
Added a failsafe for AI to continue making decisions even if encounters an issue

Onean fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 29, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Those fleets need to be taken out before the quest chain can continue I believe, even if the time limit is failed.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

The Deleter posted:

There ought to be a quest tech where vines contribute towards invasions or something. Like, spitting empty pods down at the defenders.

There ought to be cooler quest techs in general, mind. The weapons like the UE laser kinda don't scale past a certain point, so if you lag on the quest then your reward gets pretty obsolete.

Guardians help! Having a probe module or two on an invasion ship isn't a bad idea in general if you haven't explored the whole galaxy, moreso as the Unfallen with their ability to turn probes into Guardians.

Edit: I don't know exactly how they help, I just know they do. I haven't played in a little bit, got sucked back into Factorio, but I'm planning on starting another game soon.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Clarste posted:

I think the idea is more that they get a penalty for running at low manpower, but it's not really significant enough to discourage ship spam, imo. Two empty ships are still going to be better than one full ship.

It's +20% damage when full. That's significant. Two empty ships are better than one, but two partially full ships vs. two full ships is very much in the favor of the full ships.

kaynorr posted:

Anywhere I can look this poo poo up? The ES2 wiki is completely useless when it comes to mechanics at this level..

There isn't a main, compiled source of information, no. However, everything is available through in-game tooltips. Turn on detailed tooltips if you turned them off, mouse over everything, play an entire game with the ES2 mechanics only tutorial without ever closing it (it'll likely run out of things to show you by turn 50, unless you're slow to get into combat or invasions) and don't skim over any information unless it's quest or event flavor text. Doing that will get over 99% of the mechanics and systems in front of you in a reasonably comprehensible manner. This isn't aimed specifically at you, you seem to have a good grasp of what's available through doing this, but it answers a lot of questions that come up in the thread.

Ramadu posted:

So I was wondering what everyone does for tactics? All I seem to ever use or see the ai use is turtle or power to shields and I guess sometimes I use get lucky. Is there any time any of Thera might ever be useful

There's some really great tactics available in the military tree. I can't remember their names right off hand, though. One is +100% absorption to all ships in a battle with an attack value of 0, useful if you can't retreat your planet cracker or any other non-combat ship. Another reduces damage you do by 10%, but gives you another action point after combat letting your fleets attack as many times as they want in one turn. It also doesn't prevent movement so you can do it across multiple systems. There's some niche tactics that cater to specific strategies as well, like long range bombardment or short range rush, worth picking up if you're going that route. Definitely worth keeping turtle and power to shields though, they're pretty strong when used against the right fleets.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh, that's true. Scan screens are mostly just there for quickly getting an overview of the information relevant to that screen, and there's a key section that defines symbols. It would be nice to get some tooltips in those screens for more granular information, though.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you zoom out one step from the System screen where you can build improvements to the screen that you use probes, you can hover your cursor over planets and get a tooltip which, at the bottom, will show a planet's total bonuses/penalties without improvements. That's where you can check for things like unique planet bonuses and I believe depleted penalties as well.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Hey. I'm gonna be That Person and instead link to the official playlists.

Base Endless Legend Soundtrack
Echoes of Auriga (Compilation Video)
Tempest (Compilation Video)
Making Of Playlist (In-studio camera work, pretty nifty!)

Even better, the base Endless Legend OST is available on Bandcamp for pay-what-you-want, including free. Echoes of Auriga is available for 2.99 EUR and includes the tracks added in non-Tempest expansions. Tempest has its own album for 1.99 EUR.

Endless Space 2 (Compilation Video)
These have a few making of videos as well. Endless Space 2 is listed separately from the other G4F stuff for some reason on Bandcamp, but it's available there as well for 7 EUR.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
When did you do it? They changed it with the recent patch.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Influence pressure also effects your influence circles on the map. If you're near another faction and don't plan on wiping them out, you'll want to make sure you're not at a serious disadvantage so they can't just take your systems away from you if they pick up the research that enables it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Clarste posted:

That's not the same influence pressure though, that one works system by system.

The free declarations of war on the diplomacy screen is pretty stupid because if you're generating more influence than them then you can afford to declare war anyway. The whole thing is extremely half-baked, but I'd imagine fixing it at this point would require such major changes that they'd rather leave it irrelevant until a major patch or expansion.

Oh, I thought that was an empire thing, my bad.

Node posted:

In EL, where can I find a good guide on how to pace myself in terms of research and expansion? Or a rule of thumb? I have no idea how well I am doing compared to the AI - is there a way to check my empire's stats versus them?

For expanding into new cities, you want to time that with the Empire Plan every 20 turns. The cost for a plan is based off how many cities you control, so what you want to do is have a settler within range of where you want your new city to be on turn 20, 40, 60 and so on, set up the plan you want to use then settle the city. You'll get the benefit in every city but only pay for n-1 cities.

Science is a little harder to pin down. I didn't play enough to come up with a solid strategy, especially since your faction, style of play, starting and surrounding territories and the general flow of the game has a significant effect on the usefulness of certain research. Generally though picking up the tech that allows you to buy heroes is important since they're very rare otherwise; if you can't make use of an improvement research yet postpone or skip it; resource mining research is very important if you have that node and the usefulness of weapon and armor research that makes use of strategic resources depends on how aggressive you plan to be since later tech is the same but better.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
So, I'm guessing fighters are coming soon.
https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/905827080067325953

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Don't click the X on any of the tutorial windows, or that will end the tutorial and not show any further ones (unless they've changed that, I haven't played ES2 in a while). It'll direct you to the election screen eventually and go over most things there. Everything else can be figured out by the mouseover tooltips either there or on the parent screen before them.