Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Amplitude and Triumph are among my favourite devs, the community rapport is top notch. Every time I've brought up bugs there was a dev response which often led to its inclusion in the very next patch. Compare that to sending a ticket into the abyss for an infinitude of other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Baron von der Loon posted:

I got Endless Legend last week on a bit of a lark, and I'm absolutely overwhelmed by how much I'm enjoying it. The obvious differences between factions, the combat, the small gameplay changes from the Civ games, the setting itself... it's perfect. Seriously had a 'Just one more turn' 5AMer last week, I haven't had that in years. Plus, the UI is just so drat clean and I'm always 100% certain what I'm doing and what I can gain.

For me, it's on the same level as Civ4 and Alpha Centauri and I just have no clue where this game came from and how I missed it the first time around.

The devs took what they learnt over the lifespan of Endless Space and made sure to expand even further on that. They probably have one of the best new IPs to boot.

The new music they added to EL a while back was the reason I picked it up again. :shobon: I would buy the games purely for the soundtrack

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The endless universe is absolutely filthy with dust, your society can only scoop so much of it. They need to upgrade to dust-infused models of scoopers to really pick up the pace.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Cheers mate. This worked after some fiddling about.

Does anyone know where the soundtrack saves to?

Check the ES2 steam folder. All knick-knacks (digital art books, ost, Tim Cain's cookbook etc) for a game are deposited into their respective folder.

Speedball posted:

Looks like the Horatio got the one interesting trait the Sowers had in ES1, being able to colonize anywhere. Their ability to harvest other species for more FIDS output is creepy but awesome. Looks like the Cravers aren't the only ones who eat people. I might enjoy this.

Ecologists are a senate group that any race can have. You can customise your citizens traits in the faction editor and create ecologist cravers to lovingly deplete all planets from the get-go or make an ultra capitalist human race that drain worlds of resources like cravers.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Sekenr posted:

I have to say games2gether really need to get their poo poo to together in terms of interface. And tutorial. In fact the interface needs a tutorial. It ranges from simply annoying like if every window can be closed by right clicking than why even include an X that you can left click? to interface dead-ends like "Cannot afford 1 probe". Ok? Now what? You want me to go google what it means and how do I "afford" it?

Instances like that could have been solved by a proper tutorial but the tutorial is awfully picky about what it chooses to explain to you. And it chooses poorly, there is a tutorial for a very straightforward and intuitive tech screen which requires no explanation but 0 info about things that are not intuitive, for example "Curiosity expedition Pow. 2". WTF is that?

You have a number of probes per ship module (the default scout always has one), they take movement points to deploy and can only be deployed if you're in system orbit. Curiosity expeditions are tied to scouts and there is a strength requisite presumably so you have to upgrade your scout ships with better scanners in the exploration tree.

If you have suggestions to improve the UI, post them on the amplitude forums. I posted one about the lack of info on citizens and starting techs in the faction editor. Reporting bugs got attention pretty quickly for ES1.

Pierson posted:

The main reason I'm checking this out is for diplomacy. Crusader Kings 2 utterly spoiled me when it came to the sheer amount of ways you could interact with other factions and Stellaris just seemed to ignore all of that. Hoping this game has some real meat on those fronts.

I don't think you can realistically expect a similar degree of diplomacy in a 4X game as you would in a grand strategy title such as CK2, as the former focuses on expansion, more detailed combat and multiple victory types like scientific, wonder or cultural so you can bring a game to a close. The latter has inter-generational intrigue and conflicts, the former has score victories so someone wins before the 20 hour mark (though if Civ is any indicator, people call a winning lead much earlier).

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Comstar posted:

This was asked above, but I didn't understand the answer- how do I build more probes?

They recharge over time on a per ship basis. The tooltip tells you your stock and the cooldown. You could build more scout ships or install more probe modules, whether on the default scout or onto a custom chassis in the editor. You could strip the weapon and engine off the default scout for more probes I guess. Different researchable probes have better range or recharge faster but require strategic materials, materials that could be used on systems or weapons.

Bear in mind that spamming probes to scout near your homeworld isn't very helpful when your highest priority is colonising as quickly as possible in your constellation. Those probes could be better spent unlocking bonuses on the planets you can immediately or quickly colonise.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Is it a bug that all my ship models are wire frame instead of actual ships?

You mean the wireframes on the galaxy map? I'm pretty sure that's intentional. They look pretty shippy to me in the editor and battlescene.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Sekenr posted:

Thanks. But what is it? What is curiosity expeditions.

Curiosities are a type of planet modifier randomly distributed among systems. You need a ship in orbit with probes and use one probe for a "curiosity expedition" to reveal what the curiosity does. It's like the goody huts in Civ Beyond Earth that require explorers to expend a limited charge, but better implemented even if not as obvious.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Onean posted:

Now, a little in depth look for combat. This is based off the Unfallen tech tree and the Unfallen starter hero's ship (Fedez-class named Drop) with all modules removed. The majority of the techs are the same, but other factions may have specialties or replacements I'm not addressing.

There's two types of damage and two types of weapons for each, so four different types of weapons. The range effectiveness determines a weapon's accuracy. Each weapon interacts with defenses a little differently as well.

It's nice to see they revamped the combat triangle from ES, it was annoying stripping flak from ship designs as missiles became obsolete faster than kinetic or lasers. Without crits, missiles will fall behind to the kinetics and lasers against a properly outfitted fleet. Heroes can't boost crit and fleet weapon to insane ES levels.

Perhaps they toned down the AI's behaviour because the AI previously changed their fleets to counter yours all the time. If you had sensor range into their empire you could see ships of a higher Mk with completely different loadouts within 2-3 turns (as fast as they could produce them). Maybe it's tied to difficulty?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

everyone has the same units and even the most extreme builds aren't very differentiated from each other. it's almost everything bad about ES1 combat and nothing good about EL combat. it's 100% backslide.

The combat has been delineated into numbers so autoresolve is on par with manual combat. For MP or just getting the most out of your units in autoresolve, this is preferable to each unit having a special ability and acting like clueless idiot e.g 3/4 of support units in EL. They can and should add more varied ship modules like weapon and fleet-wide/individual bonuses but EL combat was asking for desyncs every turn.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know how the riftborn works, are they going to some how take it from me??

Also the endless space theme has... lyrics?!
https://soundcloud.com/flybyno/worship-the-endless-gary?in=flybyno/sets/endless-space-2-soundtrack

Gary Lawrence Soubrier has sung for each game, turns out he's part of a band with FlyByNo and yes, harps play a large part.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

As a huge Amplitude fan and retard, I actually waited all through Early Access and then waited for the full release to get a few patches before I bought it thinking I was being really smart.

I got that pending bug on my first game, I went back 1 turn, happened again, went back 5 turns, happened again.

I've handled the desyncs in Endless Space 1, the desyncs in Dungeon of the Endless, the desyncs in Endless Legend, and as silly as that got the third time, at least that happened deep into multiplayer games, but I can't even play this singleplayer.

For non-indie games, the convalescence period is closer to six months than a week or two. Waiting for Paradox or Firaxis to release enough meaty dlcs before buying a game is a long established tradition now.

Desyncs in previous endless games took multiple patches to reach a tolerable level and the slowdown is looking like it'll be an equally complicated problem. Given the EA version had problems with pacing and we're only now playing into the lategame and running into performance issues, I can't help but think you jumped the gun.

Speedball posted:

One thing I kinda miss from Endless Legend: happiness-boosting buildings usually had an extra effect that kicked in when you were at max happiness, so they were always worth building even in an already very happy society.

There were much bigger happiness bonuses in ES as well, fledgling outposts with Colonial rights and a few flat FIDS modifiers became quickly more productive than early game colonies.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 28, 2017

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I'm still waiting for something to like about Stellaris or Galciv. I haven't liked any of Stardock's recent strategy games so I'm much more hopeful for the former than the latter.

The latest dev post says they're making progress ironing out MP desyncs and improving late game performance. A beta patch is already out. AI performance has allegedly been improved up to eight fold in certain areas, whether that means less turn lag, harder AI or both is a mystery.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Mizaq posted:

Do you actually mean Endless Space as opposed to Endless Space 2? I've colonized and even completely terraformed Auriga to Terran in ES2 and nothing happened that I ever saw. I was kind of disappointed to be honest.

I'm pretty sure they are referring to how it's devoid of life by the time of ES and ES2. I'm curious as to what you expected it to be, it was deteriorating in EL so naturally it's desolate by the time of the space games. It's a guaranteed wonder but it's not rigged to explode or turn into a supermassive black hole.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Avasculous posted:

Combat:
EL - Tactical, turn-based combat with some clumsy, unclear mechanics. Races play very differently from each other in combat and terrain has an important role.
ES2 - Animated autoresolve. The only tactical choice is which card to use, and the answer is almost always one of the two massive defense boost cards that you start the game with. Every race has access to the same cards.

EL combat is okay if you like going through the motions in every battle. If you let the AI resolve it for you, you quickly realise the AI has no clue how to use all many of the support abilities properly (i.e the right targets) and either ignores terrain if it isn't on the shortest path or bodyblocks itself.

I tried MP with a friend before the devs started to work on desyncs and we skipped the majority of battles to fit in more actions between desyncs (Civ desyncs regularly so it's hardly a recent phenomena). Going by the little EL MP discussion I've read, autoresolving is the norm and players make unit choices that suit autoresolve. ES2 sidesteps that issue altogether and tries to be consistent with the results.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Grinning Goblin posted:

A lot of Paradox games have morale systems that attempt to simulate this and they are plenty of fun. Generally there is some trick to annihilating an entire section of their armies that will involve not allowing them to properly regroup, encircling them, etc. but normal combat rarely has entire units just ceasing to exist after a loss unless there is a giant disadvantage.

The thing is in EL that units tend to get wiped out if they have 1) low max health 2) low defense 3) get ganged up by multiple enemy units which increases their morale 4) didn't use terrain to minimise damage and chance for crits 5) got run down after having retreated twice as a stack and finally 6) are vastly outgeared.

It was maddening to see enemy stacks make it out alive from six turns of combat because of terrain chokepoints or having high ground forests on their side of the battle map. It is rarer for this to work in your favour. It is rarer still where a strategy lets you boom with little military research & build up and no consequences to follow. You need to balance expansion with a little extermination, always.

If you're miffed by "annihilation combat" in strategy games that's a very lonely club of CK, EU, HoI and Company of Heroes.

Men of War and many squad based strategy games are even more lethal than CoH. Stellaris generally boils down to either crushing the other side or losing a whole fleet if not in the first battle, then the second (akin to Total War and Age of Wonders) and someone losing outposts and planets.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

That's probably an intentional design decision.

A faction that only flourishes at late game is typically a bad choice. As a rule of thumb, civs with no early game traits or units are mediocre choices in themselves and completely edged out by civs that are not. That's not an option in EL when each faction varies radically from the baseline and you have the usual 4x concerns (starting position, nearby expansion etc) to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I want a shadow of middlearth on Auriga where you're a dust powered killing machine (shoo-in for broken lords), maybe Amplitude can make it without filling up a hundred gigabytes with uncompressed audio. :v: