Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I guess it's just a discount for people who buy in during Early Access. A little bonus for buying a game that won't be actually be finished for who knows how long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I read somewhere that the diplomatic AI is biased to be very warlike for all the factions in this version. presumably it will change at some point.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Lprsti99 posted:

Related, apparently there's no real way to stop an enemy from moving to your system and immediately launching a ground assault other than setting your ships one system out and setting them to Guard. Guarding a planet directly prevents the enemy fleet from bypassing the planet, but they can still initiate ground action.

yeah, learned that the hard way when the sophon homeworld got eaten by cravers even though I had ships in orbit. really hope they change that.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, I would say wait unless you enjoy watching a game get made, while potentially yelling advice at the people making it. I backed Legend in EA and I liked watching it take shape.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
The reason you want high pop cities is so you can see your vast sprawling metropolis cover up the entirety of the province. Paint dat map.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah, it's hard to justify a truce with an alien race that intends to literally eat everyone in the galaxy. Same thing with migration... no I am not interested in having any of you guys living on my planet, eating everything in sight.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the official wiki lore dump describes Cravers as really nasty buggers and states that 2/3rds of them are basically nonsentient killing machines. their special trait enslaves and works to death any aliens unlucky enough to live on a Craver controlled planet. whenever an individual Craver is described as having interests beyond just feeding the Hive or killing poo poo, it's because it had its brain upgraded by Dust exposure.

Cravers: Not Even Once

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they're supposed to auto-raze any extra cities they get, no matter how they get them, so something is broken if you end up with more than one.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Really digging the Starship Troopers vibe. Desire to know more intensifies.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
The answer is "kill everyone else." simple as that. if an empire keeps wrecking your villages, burn their poo poo to the ground.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I bought it and don't regret it, since I've enjoyed playing Amplitude's previous games in early access, watching them take shape, offering feedback and what not. but I haven't really played it all that much, because they have a large amount of stuff still left to implement and it's kinda bare bones as it stands. so look at it from that perspective.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Jack2142 posted:

Endless Space 2 is very pretty and so far fun, would like traveling between constellations to be less torturous though, and the minor factions are cool, but jfc do they spawn way to many pirates.

when you make a new game, you can click on one of the + sign icons on the right and find an option to turn off the pirates. which I recommend you do because they are tuned really poorly imo.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I thought the Mezari were just the group of humans that at some date in the distant past colonized the United Empire homeworld. it's their name for themselves. the setting timeline is placed so far out in the future that Earth isn't even mentioned or remembered.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"The Unfallen faction is the last of the eight major civilizations to be officially announced for the game release." is a quote from the official wiki.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tree Bucket posted:

Hmm, Unfallen for my first playthrough, I think.

Anyway I bought Endless Legend on a whim and dived in without knowing much about it, and I've had a great time gradually working out that it is a work of sci-fi rather than just weird fantasy....

it's this

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tree Bucket posted:

Ok, that makes sense. So the vaulters are descended from the Dungeon guys, who are mk 1 humans from Earth? And Endless Space 2 is another look at the same point on the timeline as ES1, rather than a direct sequel...?

Also seconding the amazing factions in EL. I love that the crazed pain cultists are also the science guys, and that the elves are the industrial faction.

yeah, I think ES2 is meant to be a reboot of the plot. The "original" humans in the setting aren't from Earth. Earth isn't mentioned at all, presumably because everybody left so long ago that no one remembers it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
hmm

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, on the left early in the tree, two spaceship icons on the node.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
uh soooo

has anyone else noticed that, if you've preordered the DLC, it's in the game now?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I guess that's why they never clicked for me since I hate the combat in this game and autoresolve everything.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

El_Elegante posted:

I picked ES2 up a couple of weeks ago and I’m really enjoying it. The last 4X game I liked this much was SMAC. The learning curve makes for a pretty fun game, especially since the default difficulty gives you room to make mistakes as you figure out mechanics.

The only disappointment for me has been the Wonders-the bonuses are cool, but there are relatively few of them and they are not game-breaking the way they were in SMAC.

I’m definitely excited that espionage is going to be added in. With the next DLC. Hopefully I can play MP with you guys sometime soon.

What’s the difference between amplitude and games2gether?

Amplitude is the studio and games2gether is the system they set up to solicit feedback from players. Amplitude tries to include player ideas in their games more than most studios do, with varying results.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
there's going to be a beta test for the next expansion soon.

https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/1072170603828916225

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they made a Horatio visual novel game. no, this is not a joke.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/949060/Love_Thyself__A_Horatio_Story/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Vaulters were descended from the crew of a ship that crashed on Auriga. they eventually got off the planet again and ended up in Endless Space 2.