Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Truga posted:

What does federation do again? I know I always swap into democracy as UE to get that sweet extra law slot

Extra system before approval penalties, IIRC.

Speaking of which, holy poo poo, Economic Behemoth stacking is terrifying. I turned some meh system I had on my frontlines into my war factory by the virtue of 4 Economic Behemoths, and it could pump out Hunter-class ships every turn. Military Behemoths aren't that impressive, I've found, but the keii aura is useful enough that it's worth having one with your fleets.

I feel confident enough to tackle Impossible with Hissho, considering that the last time I played an Impossible game was only with UE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Bunch of other things I've observed from playing Hissho:

1. Clarste is right, the keii colonization cost is the only thing you get from overexpansion. IMO, use Democracy instead of Federation so you get more political leader slots, and get the +1 Behemoth skill on all of them (also ensure they're Hissho heroes) because more Behemoths is the key to victory.

2. Hissho can have +2 pop slots on all sterile planets. Doing some napkin math with the relevant system improvements, this means that Desert (Hot/Sterile) planets are absolute monsters at Industry and should not be terraformed past. I'm not sure about the cold/science planets, but my lovely math suggests that Barren (Cold/Sterile planets are still the best at producing Science over even Boreal (Cold/Fertile) planets, so it's up to you if you want to lose that Science for some more Dust. That said, it's kinda super easy to make Dust compared to Science, so maybe don't do that.

In any other case, I still just go with the rule of more pop = better even if it actually isn't true, so off to the terraforming stations they go.

3. Giant stack of Economic Behemoths functioning as a mobile ship factory/colony booster owns, take care of them. Get more, and keep getting more. Do not stop.

4. Personally I'm still of the opinion that every hero class but the Seeker is best off governing and boosting your best colonies, while the Seekers lead badass fleets into warp space as troubleshooters and troublemakers. Maybe even more so if you get that Seeker a nice Juggernaut to fly around with.

5. The Fealty Foundation planet specialization line is way too loving expensive for the benefit (25 keii for 1-3 FIDS x pop). Considering that the Hissho have no real influence boosters, it's probably better to just use that Influence planet specialization instead.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 4, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

The Weabirds are really well done, music is nice and they feel thematic and their design is better than ES1 for sure. Being a small birb empire holding off waves of Cravers feels cool and good.

Restoring worlds from depleted using Economic Behemoths is also super cool and good. Great expack.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Jesus, those rocket trails on the strategic map were, to my chagrin, actually not leftover graphical bugs from the battle scenes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Getting a system Obliterated loving sucks, but at least the animation of Obliterator missiles getting cockblocked by a Citadel and System Shield combination is this hilarious little spark. That'll show these Craver assholes!!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finished an Impossible Hissho game, they totally own. Desert planets are insanely good for them.

Lessons learned:

1) Behemoths are good! Economic Behemoth deathlifestacks are fantastic for bootstrapping the gently caress out of a newly-colonized/conquered system, turning a system into a ship production zone, and restoring Craver-depleted worlds! But don't go overboard because the building that lets you build another by doubling upkeep on all active Behemoths eventually reaches a point where it's not worth it to do so. I stopped around 10, and at times I was losing Dust because holy poo poo these things are expensive.

2) You can't disband Behemoths. This is a big deal if you're stacking Economic Behemoths because going over the limit if you lose a system or a Hissho political leader with the +1 Behemoth skills gets knocked out of the senate causes their upkeep to spike like a motherfucker, and it's going to hurt bad.

3) On a related note, because of this I think Republics are the real better choice for government as Hissho, to further strengthen your Keii laws and everything else.

4) Get System Shields when you can, probably ASAP on your homeworld. The AI seems to prefer targeting them over everything else.

5) You can truce-break by paying influence. Yes, I should've learned this much earlier instead of waiting out the truce timer like an idiot and killing off the goddamn Cravers when I had the opportunity.

That said, I'm glad the game has really improved a lot. Still needs some work though, usually in usability stuff like maybe auto-selling resources when they reach 999 instead of them just being lost, a display showing like how many pop slots are left to fill on a system, the ability to mass-idle Economic Behemoth stacks and/or a stance that also lets them ignore foreign fleets in the same system, etc.

Also I'm pretty sure the game still has a memory leak issue with the FMV cutscenes. Now time to finally figure out how to play Riftborn and win Impossible with them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
People also fixate on the GLadOS reference that one time despite other ideas coming through and being real cool. People gonna people.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

El_Elegante posted:

Do citadels count against the behemoth limit?

Yes. Try and keep one on your homeworld, I noticed that the AI prefers to hit it with space nukes above all.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Even then, the Hissho are still extremely good at going wide, it's just that they do it by murdering people instead of colonizing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i just don't like tall factions; i like a nice sprawling empire

one mechanic that was interesting was in Fall from Heaven, a civ4 mod - one of the civilisations could only have a certain number of big cities, but they could be big, as they could generate way more resources. the rest of their cities were locked at 1 population.

i quite like the idea of a mixture of tall and wide in the same EL2 race

Hah, Kuriotates. But I always was a Khazad man, because dwarves are for the dwarves.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm actually kinda pissed it took this long for Riftborn to have more pop slots on sterile planets. Like, drat dude, them preferring lifeless worlds is like their whole gimmick.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

To be fair, I think they were right to be worried about giving riftborn extra slots on steriles because of just how absurd their pop bonus is.

True, but the math working out in favor of more pop slots regardless just made Riftborn terraforming more confusing than it had to be.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

definitely enjoying the chill vibe endless space 2 has. i'm not entirely sure if there's a way to 'assign' population to stuff to make it build/happen faster yet because i remember something similar being in endless legend forever ago when i played that. i'm slowly getting back into the saddle, though. feels like i jumped into the deep end of a pool.

You can shuffle pops between planets, and each planet generally has different multipliers for resources, including Industry. So if you have hot planets (arid, desert, lava, etc.), you might be able to squeeze a turn or two of production faster by shuffling pops to them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The Riftborn theme is incredible, FlyByNo got visited by a hell of a muse for that one.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Using cultural transitions as indicators of progress is real interesting as an idea.

Also goddamn do I love how those urban districts are laid out. I'll probably get this.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I liked Civ 6 a fair bit but there's two companies I'd trust to challenge Firaxis on the historical 4x front and Amplitude is one of them, so by all means.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
And the defeat was more, "well, I guess this is where the gravy train stops" than "this is the beginning of the end."

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
For all the flak Civ 6 gets, I truly enjoy the district setups and pulling crazy numbers from adjacency bonuses. Meanwhile, Humankind just had me repeatedly building the next district in the hex that pulls the most resource, and planning ahead for cool setups wasn't worth the opportunity cost most of the time. It felt very bland.

And gently caress the combat, way more complicated than it had to be, as usual from Amplitude. It's not as catastrophically ineffable like Endless Legend's but I don't get any real satisfaction from it. Civ 6 still pulls ahead of it for me; I know people rag on the AI and 1UPT all the time but at least it didn't take substantial effort to just even get through a single battle.

Humankind was a real loving bust, very disappointing. Especially considering how a lot of it felt like they were confident that they would be The Civ Killer; the results were laughably disappointing in hindsight. I'll still go back to Civ 6 when I feel the need, but if I wanted an Amplitude game Humankind is dead bottom on the list for replays.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I guess I'd rather take the "predictable but characterful" route as opposed to "fluid gameplan" thing. Which is weird because the latter totally has merit in a 4x because one game lasts for quite a while compared to like an RTS match or whatever but it is what it is.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

redreader posted:

I played the endless dungeon beta and did multiplayer with two friends, which made it hard mode, which I don't recommend to start with. I'm playing it single player now, it's easier with my knowledge from the beta.

I'm enjoying it! It seems about the same now as the beta, with more characters available and more areas. I played it for about ten hours during the beta period and "beat" it, the last few levels weren't implemented and one of about three paths weren't available. Endless dungeon and dungeon of the endless are the only good endless games imo.

I like endless space 1 and 2 but it is insanely hosed up there is some merit to your statement in that the dungeon games are the only games in the endless universe I would call wholly good and not just carried by amplitude's legitimately outstanding skill at aesthetics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh poo poo, Kael got out of Stardock? Good for him, maybe he can get back to making good stuff instead of trying to make dogshit like Elemental War of Magic work