Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

frajaq posted:

So any pointers at how to play as Cultists in Endless Legend? I like the idea behind them a lot, but the Only One City thing makes them weird to play, also not starting with actual soldier units...

It's very common for people to advise killing anyone who settles near you, but diplomacy actually is very effective as well. If you are at peace with or allied with another player they can't attack your stuff (without dropping to cold war first), which includes your converted villages, even if those villages are in that player's territory. In my most recent Cultist game (on Endless) I just made friends with everybody and then converted everything I could afford to and rode to an easy diplomatic victory. The AI will periodically drop you to cold war and eat a village, but they'll often just let you re-up your relationship the same turn and then you can go and re-convert that one village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

How do you spec Allayi heroes?

Using their class tree, mostly (and eventually cutting through Cold Operator at the top to pick up Killer Instinct). I haven't found the Allayi faction tree to be very useful in general, with one exception: there's a step in the Allayi faction quest that requires you to build a 30-pearl building and a pearl-based tower in each of your regions, and it's nice to have one guy with the pearl cost reduction skill for that. Most of the Allayi don't have awesome governor skills, but there is one that has Expansion Support 2 who serves well enough.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
I don't know what the rules regarding self-promotion are, but I have a Youtube channel where I play strategy games and I'm in the Tempest beta, so I've done a couple of videos on that already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C0YieQmeKE

If anybody has any questions about expansion mechanics or anything I'd be happy to answer them.

As far as early-game EL strategy goes, I would agree that Language Square should be a high priority most of the time. I don't always go for it first because sometimes I think it makes more sense to go for Mill Foundry right away, but I rarely delay it to much later than second. HundredBears is right on about the value of the extra early population, and also the quest rewards from the pacification quests can be really significant. Like all 4X games, early advantages snowball in EL, so getting a crucial luxury or a big pile of strategics early on can be a big deal. Generally, I take Mill Foundry and Language Square as my first two, then pick Public Library and Empire Mint (whichever fixes up my worst weakness first), then some mix of Cultivation, Topology, Alchemist's Furnace, Open-Pit Mine, and Mercenary Market. I often don't pick up sewers because I don't need the approval immediately, opting to pick up Central Market later instead, and I will sometimes push Mercenary Market to later if I'm not able to afford to buy a hero right away (low dust start, too much infrastructure investment, etc.). I also really like Aquapulvistics if my capital is on a river and it looks like my second and/or third cities will be as well.

I definitely strongly advocate splitting up your army for scouting and then bringing them back together around the time that neutrals start spawning. If you get Language Square early spreading out like this may allow you to pacify a significant number of your surrounding villages (depending on which quests you pull) which first of all can yield significant rewards, secondly can make the neutral spawns really easy to deal with due to sparseness, and thirdly can sometimes get you the Tactical Training legendary deed. Also, the more ruins you search the more early game stuff you can buy out with dust, which can really accelerate your growth, and the higher the chance that you'll run into Lust For Loot, which can be incredibly powerful.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

HundredBears posted:

Sometimes you get a strong supply of wine or Eyeless Ones villages and expansion becomes much simpler. Sometimes you're stuck getting Central Market.

Delvers are actually another good source of approval if you have Lost Tales. The quest that they can give you while you have them assimilated is very easy and awards an accessory that gives +15 approval. Obviously that requires you to actually have governors in your cities, but it's really nice in combination with the Delver assimilation bonus if you can swing it.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Helion posted:

Can someone give some general tips for outpacing the AI in Endless Legend on hard and above? I find they expand enormously, seemingly without morale issues, and hugely out-tech and out-money me. Any video LPs would be appreciated too, if you think they'd help.

I don't know what the rules for self-promotion are, but I have a Youtube channel where I'm learning to play on Endless (and winning about half the time) and I try my best to explain why I make the decisions that I make. Here's a link to my Endless playlists: https://www.youtube.com/user/Sumashful/playlists?view=50&shelf_id=12&sort=dd
There are definitely better players than me out there, but hopefully you can learn something from me trying to talk through my thought process. (The Broken Lords series starts playing with Tempest enabled on episode 8, but I've been too busy dealing with my neighbors on land to make much use of the oceans.)

In a nutshell, the things that I'm finding to be important for high-difficulty play are:
1) Quick expansion. You're probably going to have to pick up new regions more often than once per empire plan if you don't want to get hemmed in, and you'll need a lot of resources to compete with the AI's economic bonuses. (You can of course get by just fine by murdering a neighbor and taking his stuff.) Approval management is tied up in this as well as a little bit of aggro management; if you block somebody off too much the border friction can start a war, although if you can really block them into a corner and keep them weak you might just be able to consume them early on.
2) A decent understanding of the combat system and manual resolution of most combats. It's possible that this isn't such a big deal if you're better at getting your economy running than I am, but on high difficulties the AI can generate SO MANY UNITS that you really need to get every tiny bit of possible advantage out of each battle. In particular, taking advantage of terrain is really important.
3) Building an army. You don't always have to use it, but the AI pays attention to your military strength, and if you look like easy pickings you WILL get picked. If you look strong they may turn on someone else when they decide they need a war.
4) Diplomacy. I really undervalued this on low difficulties, but making peace or an alliance with somebody can be really valuable just in terms of the breathing room it gives you to deal with other players, and trade routes/tech trading can really help you catch up with the AIs.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

mitochondritom posted:

My first game as the Allayi has gone.. poorly. I lost my initial army and expanded too quickly and realised the Allayi are not good at that at all, especially as their quest step early on is to be fervent. Difficult when you are at 35 %...

The Allayi have a pretty rough time early. The seekers are great for exploring and getting you a ton of ruins and stuff quickly, but honestly they might be the worst non-support unit in the game, at least in light form, and as you noted approval is really tough. You basically have to get through that step of the faction quest before moving past two cities, and you definitely have to prioritize sewers highly. Remember to prioritize food enough to get some quick population, because the garths are really, really good. Also, while seekers suck, monks are actually really great, so try to get to those before making any military moves.
Tempest gives them a bit of a boost because they can start getting quests from the ocean fortresses really early, which (depending on quest RNG) can end you up with a LOT of strategic/luxury resources.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
The Endless Legend 1.5 patch just came out: https://www.games2gether.com/endless-legend/blog/477-free-update-pact-of-the-seas-is-out-today

It looks like it may have enabled Tempest for everyone as well.

EDIT:

Helion posted:

Question to everyone: how much pop do you grow in your cities before diminishing returns makes you stop?

Honestly, I rarely assign people to food unless I'm pushing hard for a population breakpoint in order to build a district or two in the near future. In the early game you usually have so much building/buying to do that keeping your people assigned to industry and dust is important, and once my cities have built most of their important stuff I often move a lot of my citizens to science. I do like having a high population city or two for science (lots of people + lots of districts + Center for Mineralogy + Advanced Alchemy Lab + Cultist or Ardent Mages hero, and eventually Living Lab Tools if the game requires you to push into the last era) but I find that I don't usually need to put effort into growing very much.

IAmUnaware fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 13, 2016

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Speedball posted:

Yeah, Tempest is enabled for me.

Morgawr seem REALLY weak on the land; their only unit is a support unit, to start. So it seems like assimilating at least one good land-based Minor Faction is how you want to roll with them as far as land units.

Catspaw doesn't require you to have a unit near the barbarians. You just need to have vision on it somewhere and click on it and take 'em over. Interesting. Could be really good for messing with the enemy. Only problem is, Catspawed units cost a LOT of financial upkeep.

Yeah, Morgawr have to assimilate a minor faction and use that faction's unit if they want to have a land army. Catspaw is good for levying a temporary army, but as you note you really want to have a sensible way of disposing of those troops. You can just end the Catspaw effect at any time, but I prefer to find a useful way to kill them off just so I don't have to deal with them after.

Eventually the Morgawr faction quest awards you some really powerful accessories to put on your minor faction guys that give big stat boosts (in exchange for slowly draining their life). Once you hit that I would think that their land army is actually quite powerful, but it's pretty far in.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Speedball posted:

With Vores and Leviathans, is there any reason to build the generic sea units like the boarding ship?

Boarding Vessels have 6 base move, making them the fastest sea unit, so you can use them the same way you use cavalry units on land (and they can equip the stun grenades for that role as well). Seems like they should be very good against Artillery Ships. Fire ships do a lot of damage with their debuff even to ships that have really high defenses. Artillery Ships can get crazy huge range in combat or can strip the fortifications off a coastal city pretty quickly. I'm not sure if there's any reason to build a Bathysphere over a Leviathan, though. Basically, Vores are similar in application to Fire Ships, except that the Fire Ship does a lot of damage over time with its DOT debuff while the Vore helps its teammates do more damage with its armor debuff. They have pretty similar toughness, although Vores make a better raiding force due to their ability to be retrofitted outside of your terrain. I don't have a ton of experience with the submersibles yet, so I can't comment too much on the Leviathan.

I can definitely say that as a Morgawr player you at least want to get Artillery Ships. They're really, really useful. Their broadside cannon weapon line gives +range up to +4 from their already very good base 4, and the trebuchet line is huge for sieging coastal cities, which everyone is now mechanically encouraged to have.

EDIT: Also, I'm finding that I'm getting the Boarding Vessel tech for free from sea ruins/fortress quests a lot, so you may not even have to bother researching them.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Forer posted:

so a buddy wanted to play this and I hopped in to join him. It's hillarious playing drakken and getting like 500 influence and 10k dust a turn but I have a loooot of questions. I think the most important one to ask though is what is the deal with the diplomacy victory? It's not influence I know that, because getting 4500 influence is cake. It's something to do with the actual agreements and interactions with other people I'm aware but, what does that include? if I force alliance people does that mean I spend more influence and therefore win quicker or what.

A diplomatic victory is won by reaching a certain threshold of Diplomatic Points. When you check the Diplomacy tab on the scoreboard, it shows you everybody's current Diplomatic Point score. You get Diplomatic Points from two sources:
1) Your relations with other empires. At the beginning of every turn, you gain Diplomatic Points for your current standing with other players: 1 point for each player you're at Cold War with, 2 points for each player you're at Peace with, and 4 points for each player you're in an Alliance with. You don't get any points for players you're at actual War with, and you don't get any points for players you haven't yet met.
2) Treaties. Any time you make a contract deal with another player (the kind where they get the option to accept or refuse) you get 1 Diplomatic Point for every 5 Influence that it cost you to propose the deal if they accept. You don't get any points for unilateral declarations such as lowering your diplomatic status or using the Drakken Force Peace ability; it has to be an offer that they choose to accept.

IAmUnaware fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 20, 2016

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
It looks like the Dorgeshi got left off that chart.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
I didn't start playing the game until after Guardians came out, so I didn't even realize that the Dorgeshi weren't in the game at launch.

As far as a rundown on the minor factions, I don't have anything comprehensive but there are a few that I always look out for:
Delvers - Their assimilation bonus (+5% Dust per pacified village) is one of the best in the game, and their Dredges make perfectly reasonable meatshields for any race that needs one for protecting its ranged units from melee attackers. I sometimes skip researching the Wild Walkers' Tenei Walker or the Vaulters' Titan if I have Delvers around, and the Ardent Mages and Cultists can really benefit from this as well. Very solid base damage, and if you give them enough initiative you may be able to make good use of their chance to stun.
Haunts - +5% Science per pacified village makes me always take note of these, but I don't often build their Ended mostly due to their high base cost. They're flying units, though, which makes them pretty good at getting up on archers who are trying to use terrain to keep themselves safe from melee, and chain lightning has a tendency to really hurt ranged units as they will often try to stand in a ball to make the most of the adjacent friendly morale bonus. Also they're disease immune, so if you have them assimilated anyway for the Science and you're fighting Necrophages, that could be valuable.
Dorgeshi - Their assimilation bonus improves the output of your luxury extractors, which isn't usually that relevant but can be really nice if you're trying to use a small number of Wine deposits to fuel some early game expansion. Their Burdeki cavalry unit is really quite good, though. They're on the fragile side, but they have very high base initiative, high movespeed, and a pretty good chance to stun after charging into battle. They can often cause a significant portion of the enemy's army to sit out the first couple of turns of a battle, which is very powerful. You have to be careful with them against a force that's beating you on initiative, though.
Silics - Improved strategic extractors can sometimes be the difference between winning and losing battles, especially early on, and their unit makes a fine meatshield but I believe only has 1 battle movement, which makes them pretty bad at engaging any kind of ranged force.
Urces - Their assimilation bonus reduces the industry cost of buildings, which is good no matter what your strategy is. (This reduces the buyout cost of buildings as well, since the buyout cost is based on the current industry cost.) The combat unit is beefy and basically fine, but has EXTREMELY poor initiative. Great ratio of HP to cost complemented with high base defense makes them great at surviving, but their offensive ability isn't good, and their beam capacity often doesn't come into play because it doesn't trigger on counterattack.
Jotus and Hurnas - Sometimes you really need a ranged unit. I just had to go look up what their assimilation bonuses are, so clearly those haven't made much of an impression on me, but ranged units are important and if you're stuck without a great one these can be very helpful. It's worth noting that Jotus have free counter to help make up for their lack of range but don't have the defensive stats to really be taking hits, so be careful about how you try to utilize that.

I haven't bothered to buy the Emperor Edition upgrade, so I don't have the Geldirus, but it seems like +5% damage per pacified village is a pretty good assimilation bonus and the stats on the unit seem pretty good. Can anyone comment on how they work out in practice?

IAmUnaware fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 2, 2016

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

What the heck, are the Allayi heroes glitched? My starting hero dude keeps trying to retreat/walk back and forth in battles unless I make him attack the enemy.

Yes, the AI for Allayi heroes is bugged, and their default order each turn will be to move one space in a random direction (they will fire their bow after the move if something is in range, at least). You can see that they're going to do it and overwrite it with a manual order, and once you get them to actually move into battle they seem to stay on track for the rest of that battle. You're going to want to manually control any battle that contains an Allayi hero, but of course you should be manually controlling any battle that isn't completely trivial anyway.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
No, building a district (including a city center) on top of a forest tile does not change anything about the tile. It will still be "terrain with forest" and it will still give the same resources it gave before with the normal -1 food penalty from the district. There is no way to "destroy trees". In fact, there is no way to change a tile's terrain type or modifier at all, as far as I am aware.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Don't the necrophages change tiles?

The only thing they have that I can think you might be thinking of is that they harvest one less food from tiles than the tiles have on them, but they don't actually change the tile (for example, a Necrophage player exploiting a 3 food tile only gets 2 food from it, but if a Vaulter player comes along and takes over the city the Vaulter will get 3 food from that tile).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
Yeah, the Forgotten are the descendants of people who were kicked out of the Vault for whatever reason, which is why they hate the Vaulters (and science) so much.