Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I don't know if people hate ES, certainly not in the way they might dislike SotS2 or Stardrive. But it was a much rougher project than Endless Legend. Amplitude obviously learned a lot from it and they tried to work on some of its flaws with the expansion.

It's okay to like ES. It has its flaws but if you enjoy it, then that is good. I personally adore Endless Legend's presentation, theme, soundtrack, lore and its diverse gameplay styles but it's also got serious balance issues and other flaws.

However I am eagerly awaiting ES2, as I am sure Amplitude will take what they have learned from both of their 4x strategy games so far. What mechanics I have seen have been interesting and I look forward to the game being in early access. Amplitude is a company I would currently trust with an EA purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Is building defense ships useful? I had a bunch and the Cravers seemed to ignore them and go straight to planetary invasion which was frustrating.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
You can have ships orbit a specific planet? Is that anything like garrisons in Endless Legend?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I played a game as Sophons and I was always so broke. Their science is nice, but I was always struggling to make ends meet for a fleet of 3 attackers and a hero. Pacifists won the senate and never let go.

The Lumeris are really fun though. I enjoyed playing them a lot.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I didn't have enough influence as I'd just assimilated the gas giant science minor race. Unless it's the default law in which case it helped me a little but ship expenses seemed to overwhelm my tiny and fragile economy. I don't know if I just colonised poorly though.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I wish there was a list of modifiers or history as for why AI diplomatic values were as they were. When the AI hates me, it would be nice to know why.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Because Endless Legend and Endless Space 2 have asymmetrical gameplay for their factions, affinities are the component that determines that. Like the one city restriction and conversion for cultists in EL or the Lumeris ability to buy planets in ES2. Traits encompass the other bonuses and perks the factions get that are not tied to their core gameplay mechanic.

In Endless Legend it also determined the appearance of your faction and I assume Endless Space 2 works the same.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
It's basically like a Paradox game where after so long it gives both sides a score and the loser pays a tribute. If you've played Stellaris recently it's very similar to the war score from that.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I tried playing a game of ES2 on easy, as I wanted to look at the United Empire. Their faction stuff is interesting, but I think either the AI is a bit broken this patch or easy is just...too easy. I was in era 4 and no other empire had made it to era 2. Also there was a memory leak or something that meant turns just no longer resolved after about turn 150, and would hang indefinitely. I reloaded it to force it to process a few turns but gave up after a while. Has anyone else had problems with that in the EA since the last patch?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
That sounds like a really different game to the Endless Legend I played, but also very good as well.

I haven't played in a while, despite keeping up with the dlc purchases. I should get back into the game again.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Serephina posted:

How is the endless thread, of all places, complaining of other 4X games just dumping you without fanfare to the score graph when you win? Endless legend is right there.

I'd personally give Endless Legend more of a pass. It may not have an ending cinematic, but if you're following the story quest victory you do get a lot of narrative building up to that screen. That's not the case for the other victories though for sure.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I have been playing some comp stomp style games with a friend or two and we've been having fun but boy, the Academy being able to settle and send out fleets just sucks. I had to rebuild an outpost 3 times because Isyander's fleet would just swing by and bomb it for one turn killing the nearly finished outpost. I couldn't even tell him to stop or demand reparations like he can to me. It's such a weird thing that they made the Academy like a Fallen Empire in Stellaris but just be able to colonise and expand like a player. The basic idea of making the Academy an interactable faction isn't bad and the competitive bidding is nice, but it really needs to scale instead of just starting 200 turns ahead of you and having the risk of an aggressive neighbour suddenly buying a doom fleet before turn 50 that you have no counter to.

We are definitely looking in to finding a mod to make this less wacky because it feels like this would frustrate a lot of other people as well.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
The culture switching is an interesting mechanic that I appreciate they tried. I'm not sure if there's an implementation that works, or at least works better, but it felt like it detracted from the replayability in single player and not added to it. I think I'm multiplayer it would be a much stronger feature but I don't play multiplayer 4X much except for Stellaris.

Also I second the call for Endless Legend 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I was thinking that the culture switching mechanic seemed good if it was independent of the Age mechanic, so changing cultures was something you only did once or twice and was a more meaningful gameplay decision. Like how in Endless Space 2 the Empire can pick between 3 different specialties later in its storyline, but more dramatic. At any rate I definitely agree the idea has the potential to be great but needed something more...or less. More testing and cooking at least.