Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I'm for sure going to buy ES2 on release but I feel like getting in to a 4x prematurely/with a turn limit just makes the big reveal more of a let down, so my plan is to not get EA. Is the game earnestly fun already, or is it just impressive/neat?

Seeing how much Civ6 is stealing from Endless Legend I imagine it'll be a pretty good game, so I'm thinking I'll just let that/Tempest fill my 4x needs for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

The Deleter posted:

Tactical combat in 4x games sucks because it is almost always a crappier second game hidden inside the first game, with less thought put into it. There's hardly any actual tactical thought required for most of them. Space 4X games suffer the most because it's hard to actually include things like terrain or meaningful manoeuvres in an infinite 3D space, so they don't bother. There's no excuse when something like Sorcerer King or Stardrive's ground combat doesn't even try and just puts everyone on a flat grid.

I can count the tactical combat systems I've enjoyed in 4X games on one hand - Sword of the Stars 1 is Total War in space and the tactical combat is basically the entire point of the game, and Age of Wonders is so insanely detailed that you can have weird interactions complicate things constantly. Endless Legend's combat is inoffensive but I would rather they committed to it with either full micro or total hands off, and not the half and half we have.

I totally agree. Not to mention that a lot of the time, being "good" at the combat in 4x's often feels kind of like you're just exploiting the game - it tends to be less about meaningful payoffs and more just that fiddling gets you free strength out of nowhere.