Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Glad my legacy lives on. Now someone do a guide for Morgawr, they're really fun but how the gently caress do I protect my non-island cities from aggression?

mitochondritom, one more thing that might help you is thinking of the Forgotten as having a soft winter affinity - they have a Caudata Sanctuary in the tech tree for a reason (and now it's been graciously buffed to trickle some influence too)!

It's kind of subtle, because you don't really have any winter boni like Vaulters or the Allayi, but in a very Forgotten mindset it's a perfect opportunity to explot the weakness of others.
- You do have a bunch of roving, nimble pillagers spread out that are just perfect from stealing a bunch of pearls right from under the noses of other empires. Make your own winter boni.
- Enemy armies are slower and shorter-sighted, making chasing you harder. This is particularly important once an opponent erected the Great Wall of Watchtowers along its borders - full coverage makes it impossible to slip in despite closed borders (it only works while you're undetected) and so at that point your only shot at reinserting spies might be waiting for the winter vision malus create passages between the towers.

Also, the Caudata Sanctuary essentially predicts season changes with an accuracy of a turn or two. This is a pretty nifty tool for making timing plays and doubling down on your alpha strike shenanigans. This includes:
- Popping reduce population spy mission right as the winter begins, to extend the time to recovery.
- Timing your alpha strike so that you topple infliltrated cities juuuuuust in time so that any counterattack has to trudge through snow in winter maluses while you sit on your rear end, regenerate health and set up another wave of spies for the Phase 2 of conquest
- For extra spice, you might go for pearl items and follow your alpha strike with a wintertime blitzkrieg.

Oh, and also their units retain invisibility as transport ships. While you're probably better off ignoring the shipyard and focusing on your land game, if you happen to grab it for having no better options while stealing your way out of Era II, it can allow for some nifty maneuvering and utter trolling of undefended fortresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, the really big jump - apart from all your standard dust and buyout techs - is finally plopping the roads down. If you've been patiently playing the long game and levelling trade boni for your governor (useless up to this point), somewhere at the same time you can also pop the ability that opens trade routes to empires in cold war which gets them ridiculously huge right off the bat.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Some betatester redditor on what the Dust Storms acutally do:

quote:

Wild Walkers have their senses heightened by the Eclipse, enhancing their bonds to Auriga to such extent that they have Global Sharing and reduced Movement Cost on Forests. This allows them to anticipate their enemy’s movements, and gives them the added mobility to react swiftly and meet them head on.

Broken Lords, uniquely attuned to shifting of Dust in Auriga, are able to harness the Eclipse’s power to increase the power of their armies, but at a great cost. Their units and heroes gain a new army action, similar to the Allayi Forced Shift, granting them a new capacity for a turn. This Consuming Fire increases the Damage of units by 30%, but causes the unit to take 10% of its maximum health as damage at the start of each combat turn.

Vaulters / Mezari can harness the power of the Eclipse to increase the accuracy of their Teleport. While the Holy Resource Boost is active During an Eclipse, units can be transported directly to a Vaulter or Mezari Hero’s Army – anywhere on the map. Instant reinforcements!

Necrophages will notice something some of the components of their Recycled Stockpiles are not as dead as they seem, receiving bonus Battleborns from Stockpiles. These not-so-fresh recruits receive all the applicable bonuses from buildings on the city, and make excellent last-minute defenses while the main army is away from the colony.

Ardent Mages, already uniquely attuned to Dust Magic, discover new depths to the power given to them through Ardent Fire. During an Eclipse, Ardent Fire provides bonus Damage as well as Attack, making their units even more dangerous while on low life.

Roving Clans may not be as fond of battle as other factions, but that doesn’t mean they are unable to take advantage of the unique opportunities of the Eclipse. Their Setsekes find the Dust-rich atmosphere invigorating, gaining massive stat boosts to Speed, Attack and Damage when packed up and on the move. Even while unpacked, their good spirits are infectious, providing cities a life regeneration area around them, similar to the effect found on Watchtowers.

Drakken Diplomats are able to take advantage of the general confusion and bouts of arcane mysticism the Eclipses bring to the other factions, and as such there are able to lean on others more easily, having Reduced Influence Cost for all Diplomatic Actions – Even Forced Truces and Alliances.

Cultists, on the other hand, spur the feelings of zealousness and fanaticisms that the Eclipses instill in Minor Factions as a sign from the Queen, giving all Minor Faction Units a Stat Boost based on City Level. This effect is similar to Unleash Potential, but multiplied by the City Center level of their Capital.

Forgotten can leverage the liquidity of Dust during an Eclipse to perform a unique Infiltration Action, Dust Opportunist steals directly from the coffers of the infiltrated faction. This action steals a small flat amount of Dust and a small Percentage amount of Dust from the target, meaning that it can bankrupt poor factions or produce large amounts of Dust by stealing from rich ones.

Allayi see this unnatural turn of events as a clear sign of Auriga’s last dying throes, and in this Time of Need they move swiftly to save her. All armies under their control gain increased Movement during an Eclipse, as well as an additional action point.

Morgawr are the only faction able to take advantage of the rough seas created by the Eclipse’s influence. As Riders of Wild Winds, they gain massive Embarked movement during an Eclipse.

The Kapaku, although strangers to Auriga, have a very keen sense of earthen energies. During Eclipses, they are able to sense the locations of Map Boosts in their settled regions and their neighbors, and they receive increased effects from the Boosts they collec

Also, they burn stategic resources to volcanoform (with the costs increasing incrementally), so they're menat to be a bit of a scorched earth faction.

Also, the premiere is scheduled for August 2nd!

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 27, 2018

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Having spent some time with them, I can attest Kapaku are indeed pretty cool. While in truth probably one of the more straightforward factions, they're nice, as in their gameplay seems to have a pleasant flow. The quest line is fairly chill too.

They're very good builders that also happen to have a good and self-sufficient selection of units - the jury is still out whether geomancers are worth it, but at the very least one has to appreciate their versatility.

The siege engineering tech (converting siege damage to industry stockpile) initially seemed like dumb poo poo, but turned out great. If you're waging a war of conquest, you can roll your doomstacks to a city, set volcanoformers all around it and just chill for a few turns. By the time the siege is over, you have the terrain all set for the new city not to starve and a 1000 industry stockpile to instabuy all your mill foundries and extractors and poo poo. It's a bit of a paradigm shift for me, as I prefer espionage-bolstered blitzkriegs, but this slower, parasitic warfare seems worth it.

Not sure how I'd rank them power level-wise. They're obviously pretty good, but plenty of abusive poo poo is possible in this game. The main bottleneck for Kapaku are the strategic resources, which is an interesting change of pace as they're usually an afterthought for me. This is both due to volcanoforming costs growing mid-game and you really wanting to grab both titanium and glassteel early on (for both cheap volcanoforming setup and grabbing the ludicrous golem camps ASAP). Strategic resource-based equipment is probably a no-go (I'd skip the whole techs), but on the other hand the resource-focused expansion and good builder capacity makes them good for rushing the legendary building.

Going by the gut, the Broken Lords and Allayi are probably more bullshit, but the Kapaku are trailing them fairly close.

As an aside, I find it interesting that while the volcanic terrain is meant to be late-game content for the other races, most advantages Kapaku get are meant to enable setting up an early game snowball.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Some of the eclipse effects are suuuper useful. Like the forgotten cash grab. You can get a decent (for the pre-ramp struggle) dusz infusion and cheap seniority at even the lowest infiltration levels... While also loving your enemy. It's a little thing, but it counts.

Also, somewhere along the way they made What's Yours Is Mine give extra infiltration power. That's nice.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Well, just yesterday I saw AI Morgan settle their capital in the middle of a coastal province's hinterland, so...

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I love Mykara with all my heart (tied for favorite faction with the Forgotten), but honestly, power-level wise they're not great (also lol @ dlc launch when they started with search parties instead of cultivation). I think the ELCP mod does a good job of tweaking their numbers to bring them more in line (and the mod is worth it even if you turn off all the balance changes, for just the sheer amount of AI and bug fixes).

Having said that, some hot Mykara tips:
- The overall dynamic is similar to Cultists: you're a predominantly militant faction with a somewhat slow start, soft-claiming land as your sphere of influence and having to routinely go out and murder those who simply settle in provinces you want. The difference is that while the Cult embarks on wars of attrition with their innumerable free hordes, you're operating more of a small elite team (due to your natural production bottleneck) that pulls double duty by pouncing on fools, teleporting away to heal up while hoovering up pearls and then teleporting again to land another blow.
- Always micro your starting units and learn to kite with them. They usually end fights unscratched or dead and sometimes even the direction you attack from makes or breaks a fight (because of terrain). When you get other units, switch their weapons to grant attack debuff.
- Do not fall into the trap of spamming blooms for FIDSI. Having that food go towards more pops is way more effective in that regard. Prioritize extractors, with some strategic teleports near them so you can defend them quickly. Volcanic regions own bones, because they have a bunch of resources and (unless there's Kapaku nearby) nobody will settle there - and your blooms don't care about the food malus!
- The best minors to assimilate are Sillics and Dorgeshi (though don't tackle the latter with Ipotanes) to counteract your inefficient extractor penalty. Bos with their food bonus are pretty sweet too, but again - you won't tackle them with starting units.
- Tech the starting hero towards the martial half of the racial talent tree (+20% offense is great and movement unaffected by terrain is *crucial* to make the rapid response gimmick work, the ruins can be placed really awkwardly). The single point investment in the tier 1 food skill is not exactly a waste, since it'll carry you over until you buy the second fungusman to properly develop into a governor. Save up cash for him, skipping bloom buyout during the first eclipse of the game.
- The tier 1 food talent is bonkers good, but the food cost reduction one is garbage. -100% food upkeep sounds insane, but if you actually crunch the numbers it's actually pretty bad.
- Overgrown cities no longer tank your approval, but they still count as full cities for empire size penalties! It is therefore usually best to raze them a turn before the next empire plan once you've gotten the assimilation trait. Perhaps some properly sprawling capitals can be worth keeping for a while.
- Know your assimilation bonuses, because some are pretty useless. Like the Drakken: a pitiful influence saving on minor assimilation (that you'll maybe use once or twice in a game) and +2 influence from your single starting province minor village (yep, it doesn't work on fungalized minors on neutral territory). Wish Clans gave marketplace discount :(.
- It's poorly documented, but the late game watchtowers (both the pearl and ordinary tech ones) provide FIDSI from the adjacent hexes too.
- Racial technologies straight up suck, only bother with units (and even at that the Gorgons are optional).
- Summer blitzkrieg recipe: once an eclipse hits, declare war, dust buyout a ruin next to your victim's borders and stream troops in.

Fun fact: you might notice the Mykara are now coded to never have the sisters of mercy hero available, because her skill preventing negative food income made it possible to make literal infinite blooms.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

ilitarist posted:

When I saw this bonus I thought that the game tells me that I have to turn the hero into a governor as soon as he reaches level 3. But now that I have >300 food income on 18 pop city I can see it was a trap. And apart from initial +1 food on everything this hero doesn't help the economy in other ways. Defense bonus was nice for that one fight when my neighbor attacked me but now I have to go fro +5% FIDSI bonus and winter immunity and those are meh.
One probably can't go wrong with a cultist governor for their megacity, but I still like mykaran governors for that first food buff. It's a massive tempo gain for your ponderous snowball and once maxed out you can beeline to winter immunity, filling out the generic governing talents afterwards.

If you're playing a game challenging enough to ever worry about being conquered, the retaliation talent is actually hilarious. You can stack it with the Pearl-based retaliation buildings for iirc 100% of your fortification value being inflicted as damage per turn. Good luck sieging that.

quote:

I thought an eclipse is supposed to make overgrowth faster and wondered why am I not seeing this, but you say it opens an option to buyout? Oh boy.
Yeah, you have to click its icon and it opens up an instant dust buyout option. It's good.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Just settle on provinces that are lava to begin with and terraform the filler that has some Nice Stuff You Need or would just connect your holdings.

There will be a quest to fully terraform a province, but that is deep endgame making GBS threads gold territory.

PS. A really fun thing to do against AI is to pick that tech that nets you resources out of siege damage and instead of taking cities quickly just... have your stacks sit there and farm as you have the victim town surrounded with terraformers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Umbral Choir is the most unique 4x experience I've ever had.

Is there any other 4x that can give you that "playing the parasite empire" thing?

They're not quite as out there, sticking to more traditional mechanics, but the Forgotten in Endless Legend ultimately follow a similar path of mostly-invisible faction quietly murdering stray scouts (praying not to get forced into a defensive war) while picking a victim to leech off and disrupt, before eventually launching a massive debuff-powered surprise alpha strike from shadows and moving to the next target.

You do have normal cities (that you're nevertheless massively encouraged to keep "stealthed" by denying map exploration with your invisible armies, sustain your entire midgame tech by stealing it from others and have the invisible armies roam your enemies lands doing hit & run pillaging on everything they own. The latter is, like, secrectly important, in that while it won't make you an economic powerhouse, it'll make all the dudes running around more or less pay for themselves (so in a roundabout way "justifying" aggresively going for this standing army of observers running around everywhere - and that has advantages of its own) - all the while slowing your chosen victim down.

Do note however, it's one of those factions where you cannot autoresolve battles, they've got the kind of finicky glass cannons that can pull off stupid bullshit if microed carefully, but are super inefficient if you're just bashing numbers against each other.