Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
If they're smart they'll make Horatio an end-game event instead of a race.

The original Endless Space always felt more like a "proof of concept" than a real game. Like, Amplitude had some really cool ideas they wanted to play around with, but they put so much effort into engine and interface design that they kinda had to release a game to recoup costs. ES was a bit of a half-measure, EL seemed more like the game they would have wanted to make from the start.

Phenomenal studio, though. They have by far the best art/world design of any turn-based strategy game I've ever played, they've done the best job of anyone at figuring out how to do Early Access/player input correctly, great interface design, and they're very inventive with twisting established TBS game mechanics on their head. They even tossed out an masterful roguelike in their spare time. Someday, they may even figure out either make combat entertaining or cut it out entirely and actually make a game that surpasses Fall From Heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
It's always a little sad how dead this thread is vs. how good the Endless games are in general. Just played ES2 for after ignoring it since initial beta release, it feels really good now! Probably better than EL.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I made a new discovery today. Horatio is (are?) absolutely insane late game, and absolutely a "build tall" faction (weirdly), because apparently unused food rolls into production. I was just dicking around the galaxy, being all peaceful and poo poo, and suddenly I realized my capitol now had 1800 production because of it's 1400 food surplus. Instantly. I make a fleet EVERY TURN from a single system, and at this point I'm basically obligated to declare war on everyone and crush them under my unending waves of beauty.

...I've always enjoyed Amplitude's philosophy on balance, where "if everyone's totally broken somehow it'll probably work out".