Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

IAmUnaware posted:

The Endless Legend 1.5 patch just came out: https://www.games2gether.com/endless-legend/blog/477-free-update-pact-of-the-seas-is-out-today

It looks like it may have enabled Tempest for everyone as well.

Huh, that's nice. Wondering if I should reinstall before or after downloading the patch - I was playing an Allayi game with the old patch, but apparently the game decided that EL actually stood for "Endless Loop"

quote:

Exception while ticking the AI (SynchronousJobRepository) : System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at AILayer_ArmyManagement+<SynchronousJob_ExecuteNeeds>c__AnonStorey687.<>m__BE (.UnitDesign design) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[UnitDesign] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[UnitDesign] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AILayer_ArmyManagement.SynchronousJob_ExecuteNeeds () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SynchronousJobRepository.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TickableRepository.Tick (Boolean isInGameState) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)
(repeats)

Anyone had this happen to them before? This is actually the third game this has happened in, and I've had to abandon the previous two games because while I could get the turn to roll by doing some stuff differently, the bug would keep coming back on future turns.

I think the AI is trying to build a unit design it's already deleted or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Annoyingly, the Morgawr questline's second step to capture one of two fortresses near your capital apparently doesn't complete if you already have them when you get the quest. Not sure if I should move a mind-controlled army next to it and release the mind control or not bother, I already played one game and I don't think the faction quest gave you anything noteworthy.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Angrymantium posted:

Beyond Earth was both way worse on release and remains that way in addition to being a much shallower game. I don't see how you can really even compare the two since BE was just trade route simulator on release and abusing that allowed you to win, whereas Stellaris at worst got buggy once you expanded beyond five planets and still had enough to keep you interested despite that.

It didn't (doesn't) really have enough to keep your interest past the early game if you ask me. The problem with BE was, and still is to a lesser extent, that you could just break it over your knee because of poor balance. Stellaris' problem is mostly a lack of content that leaves you with nothing to do but go to war, and war in Stellaris is really boring. Also really unbalanced at launch, still unbalanced but not as badly. Stellaris also has really really tedious micromanagement, where you need a ton of clicks to upgrade every building when you get a new tech and generally has you constantly need to queue up more stuff across half a dozen planets. Unless you trust the sector AI (which didn't understand that robots don't eat food at launch).

Heinlein and the expansion seem like they're going to help significantly, but I'd say Stellaris and BE are both about as bad currently.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Forer posted:

So wait, doesn't that mean the optimal way to get diplomatic points is every turn call someone an rear end in a top hat, their country is crap, they are crap and awful!

Also you should ally with me because yeah!

Maximize the spending of alliance with insults I mean.

The optimal way to get diplo points is to give someone one dust repeatedly. To save on clicks, you should also give 1 of each resource you have. Trading all of your techs also saves you a couple minutes of clicking.

Alternatively, just calculate whether or not you have enough influence to win and stop playing if you do (unless you really want some cheevo I guess). Or just ignore diplo victory, or enforce some house rule on how much you can cheese it. Just... don't actually give someone one dust a hundred times.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Equilateral triangles have 3 level 1 districts, 2 hexes wide rows 4 level 1 districts. However, while expanding an equilateral triangle into a bigger one you have 4 level 1 districts as well and rows also get more exploited tiles. If you're only planning on getting 5 districts (10 pop) , stick with the triangle. I find rows better for big cities with a lot of districts, but food cost scaling for city growth is polynomial so you might not want to go bigger than size 10. Necros, Cult and Allayi are exceptions to this, of course.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
^^Having a district on the coast is enough, isn't it? Though you still need a coastal region, of course.

Lichtenstein posted:

Desperate measures:
- Roving Clans - it's a trader hero for a faction that doesn't trade, which makes him really inferior to BL hero for your purposes. However, if you're desperate for the only dust boost hero in a vaulter-filled marketplace, or something, there are ways to make Clansmen work. First, they have Spying 3 with access to the common espionage skill, so that's better than nothing if there's no Forgotten available. Second, they do generate some Dust and have one legit great skill - Feet on the Street, which helps to get over salting approval-tanking cities much faster. Afterwards, at a price of wasting a skill point they can get cheaper units or common governance skills. So they're like a versatile bad imitation of all the heroes you actually want to but

Wait, can the Forgotten not trade or something? If it's just that the science part is useless for them, I think it's still worthwhile to get a Clan hero in the lategame for the +7 trade route national wonder. You can >20k dust a turn from trade routes in a city with that if you have grassilk and a high level Roving Clans hero, and some percentage dust boosts. Before era V they're probably not very useful though.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
It's 8% IIRC. Not really worth not buying something you want because of it. It's probably better in multiplayer with everyone buying heroes and the resources section probably getting emptied, I don't think the AI buys much from the market.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I think he means "don't build boroughs on top of forests"?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thats not fun gameplay. Theres no way to avoid the combat or retreat from it onceit starts, and its annihilation combat? Not interested. Its that simple.

I'm not sure why not being able to retreat before the battle starts is a problem, since you can just retreat before the battle instead. You can retreat twice without being destroyed pretty often if you're at full health (probably depends on your regen?), which should be enough to run away. And later on in bigger fights, it's common for neither side to get completely destroyed.

I also remember kiting some melee minor faction units with cultist preachers until the battle ended, fwiw.

...what does "annihilation combat" have to do with Civ5, anyway? Did you mean 4?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Yeah for cult in particular a rectangular city seems better than a triangular one? Unless I'm screwing something up triangle will have 3 level one districts and 6 level two districts at the tips, while a rectangle will have 4 level one districts and 4 level two districts at the ends. That seems pretty equivalent, but the rectangle will exploit more hexes, and a big triangle can be pretty unwieldy with region borders/ruins. Also grows more smoothly than adding another layer to a triangle. And if your rectangle runs out of space it's not the end of the world to make a turn, is it? Cba to figure out how many district levels that loses.

Did they change something about the luxury market/how often the AI buys stuff from it? There seems to be much less available than before the Morgawr were added.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Really I'd say a triangle makes sense if you know you're going to get between 6 and 10 districts total (including city center). 5 additional districts for a total of 6 is a pretty decent goal for later cities, that's 10 population or 8 population and a winter borough or something. With the exponential food requirements for each pop (and the linear scaling on borough cost) you probably don't want to go past that on most cities, so the 6-district triangle is very efficient. With 6 districts a triangle gets a total of 9 district levels and a line 8, and happiness-wise a triangle is... -5, right? And a line -20? And a 7-district line is still just -15, and a 8-district line -10? And a line would only equal the 6-triangle at 9 districts happiness-wise, but then the 10 district's +15 compared to the 10-line's +0. That's a pretty significant difference. Though when you're expanding the triangle at 7 districts you've basically got a 7-line with one exploitation less or something, similarly at 8 and 9. So I guess it doesn't really matter unless you're going to stop at 6 or 10, and if you're getting 10 preferably going from 6 to 10 in a burst?

But if you're cult or necro or otherwise want to make a big city you probably should go for a line, I think. Or just stick with a 10-triangle, that seems good too. A 15-district triangle seems like it would be a bad idea. Lines are also often easier to get to a sea tile for ship/cargo dock access, I think. (The latter of which can also fill in for a level 1 district, in addition to the 10 happy and sea trade access, and of course the industry but if you've only got one sea tile that's pretty small.)

Sorry if those paragraphs are a mess, I've rewritten them a couple times while flip-flopping on how good lines/triangles are relative to each others so I've basically managed to confuse myself.

Random thought: It's annoying how the AI doesn't seem to ever build cargo docks even if they have the tech. After I won an economic victory as Allayi on a 2-continent map I conquered one coastal city on the other continent and built a cargo dock there, and my dust income jumped from 40k to 60k as my smugglers (Roving Clans hero in the capital, other cities had to stick with my continent+conquered city since the guys I took it from still cut it off) finally got access to the continent.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Because I have too much time on my hands

Pink is exploitation, blue level 1 district, green level 2, and black level 3. So, to completely overthink things:

Lines with n districts have (for n>3) 4 level 1 districts and n-4 level 2 districts, for a total of 2n-4 district levels. For cultists, for n>7 lines have 4 level 1 districts, 4 level 2 districts, and n-8 level 3 districts, for a total of 3n-12 district levels. Lines have n+6 exploitations.
A complete triangle with n districts has 3 level 1 districts and n-3 level 2 districts, for a total of 2n-3 district levels. For cultists and n>=10, 3 level 1 districts, 6 level 2 districts, and n-9 level 3 districts, for a total of 3n-12 district levels. A complete triangle with m districts per side has 3m+3 exploitations. Such a city has sum_(i=1 to m)(i) districts, and I can't figure out a good way to express number of exploitations as a function of n. However, 6 districts has 12 exploitations (same as a line), 10 districts 15 (one less than a line), 15 districts 18 (3 less than a line), 21 districts 21 (6 less than a line) and so on. The difference between triangle and line grows by m-3 when going m->m+1. So bigger triangles become less efficient.

For non-cultists, triangles have one more district level than lines. However, they're a bit awkward to expand on and have less exploitation. I'd suggest not making triangles bigger than 10 districts. For cultists, lines get a second level 3 district a district sooner than triangles, and stay even with completed triangles after that. Lines seem to be strictly better. Getting wonders to level 3 quickly in a triangle depends on what point of adding a new layer the triangle is in. If the triangle is complete and the wonder is the first district of the next layer, It should take 5? more districts to get it to level 3. If it is the third, it only needs 2. If you left a hole for it and it's the fifth (or more), it will instantly get to level 3. For a line, you always need 4 districts more unless you left a hole for it.

The design Spanish Matlock suggested last page is also pictured. It doesn't really work, as pointed out earlier.

At 6 districts the triangle is strictly superior. At 7 districts the triangle doesn't get a level 2 district but increases the amount of exploitations by 2, so it stays a bit better. The 8th district only adds a level 2 and the amount of exploitations stays the same, so it's equivalent with a 8-line. The ninth district is the same, but additionally adds a level 3. It loses one exploitation compared to the line. The tenth district, of course, completes the triangle and adds two level 2s and an exploitation. It has one more district level and one less exploitation compared to the line, which seems a bit better. So the triangle design with <=10 districts is only inferior to the line with exactly 9 districts, and only by one exploitation at that. Triangles seem better for non-cultists unless you intend to make a huge city.

Expanding into a line from a 6-triangle seems equivalent to a strict line, and a 6-triangle is better than a 6-line so this nail-on-a-board (can't come up with a good name here) design seems better than an actual line.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 29, 2017

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Industry is king early game, then transition to dust once you get both the -33% building cost and the -25% building buyout cost industry plans and preferably the tech too. Science is less important, don’t invest too much into food since pop food requirements are exponential.

Also don’t fight Drakken early, they have strong units and start with the best combat hero in the game.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
The starting region always has only one village, so you need to go wandering with your settler for that to happen. But it is very strong.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

decent room to build a line-city

:negative: Did you start with a triangle and then transition to line-ish shape? I just spent an unreasonable amount of time (instead of sleeping) a couple days ago to figure out that's strictly better (anomaly location etc notwithstanding) than going straight to a line for non-cultists. At 6 districts you get one district level more, at 7 districts one more exploited tile, and at 8 districts or more they're equivalent. Plus up to 8 districts you're doing the same thing as if you were going for a ten-district triangle, so you don't have to decide until then. Looking at my actual post I didn't make this clear at all and just mentioned it offhand at the end when everyone will have already stopped reading.

e: Also each city gives a "expansion disapproval" -10 (-25 for the Allayi) happiness penalty to all cities, reduce by an era III and an era V tech (-25% each) and a legendary deed (-50%, era V I think? I think it can be either have a city with 30 pop or a city with 15 districts, including wonders but not pearl districts). Some hero skills can also reduce or eliminate expansion disapproval generation on the city they're governing, and the palace in your capital (and conquered capitals as well) also eliminates it. If you have only one city, I think you should aim to settle at least two more cities immediately after the next empire plan (I assume normal speed, so turn 60). Empire plan cost is multiplied by the number of cities you have, in case you didn't know, and luxury boosters need 5 more resources for each city too.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 31, 2017

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Is that the megapole in the top left? This early in the game you probably want to get that to level 2 ASAP for the +25 industry, adding a district to its left seems good, gets you the level and two forests. The zig cost you one district level, not the end of the world. You can get it back with a cargo dock anyway. Yeah exercise some restraint in settling, and try to time new cities immediately after empire plans. Also you can settle and raze every turn while your settler is moving to its destination for some extra dust/science/influence, just make sure it doesn't screw up a quest to settle the region. Also don't do it with your capital at the start of the game, you lose your palace. Also the settler you get from salt the earth has no equipment, so you're stuck at four movement.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
It's annoying, but it makes it far less likely for a ruin to be inside a city and inaccessible unless you control the city. If you were able to build on top of them, a lot of "search this ruin" quests might require you to conquer the city.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
True, but you'd need to check every turn (or whatever turn) that a new district hadn't blocked access to the ruin and spawn a new ruin for any quest that had it as a target. Might be unimmersive, but that shouldn't be a big deal. In general Lust for loot is basically the only even vaguely interesting ruin search quest too, and even then only in the early game. Sometimes you need to bribe an AI for border access/declare war, I suppose. Making district placement more annoying for a minor improvement to them isn't really worth it, so I guess I agree that it's bad design you can't build on ruins.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah sorry I didn't mean to imply that you couldn't, "Other dude" in my explanation can in fact also be you, but the other city needs the same improvement, as per normal. Roving Clans get (I'm pretty sure) an ability that lets them trade through cold war or actual war.
To be specific, that's a skill that RC heroes get. So everyone can get it, Clans just has easier access to it. A high level RC hero can give you shitloads of dust lategame, too.

Removing the hero kills most of the trade routes due to no Black Marketeer

Removing the hero on the previous turn instead, so the city gets all trade routes

So the hero is responsible for about 38k dust per turn in city income, about 62k after the museum and a dust accumulator facility with 22 total fortresses.

Of course this is with grassilk fed through the double luxury booster effect national wonder, plus negotiation tactics, and also benevolent emperor and doubled dust water and orchid. The grassilk is the most important part there, with the National Craftworks it triples the trade route dust income for that city.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I count 8 level one districts out of 14 (+cargo dock). One of them is a strategic intensifier admittedly, but one of the level 2s is the abbey of anomalies which IIRC adds +5 food per level and nothing else. If you had just made a west-east line (after making a triangle at 6 districts) ending where the... winter borough? and cargo dock are, you could have 10 level 2 districts and 4 level 2 districts instead, at the cost of... not getting that glassteel intensifier? Unless those two anomalies next to the glassteel are really good I don't think it was worth going south like that, even with the abbey. Maybe if you're still at 100 approval, but are they really better than 8 dust/science/influence and 60 happiness? Plus you're probably at least nearing era 5, so you'll soon be giving up what, 60 more influence from aura of empire? And science from the building that gives science for level 2 districts if you bother to get it.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
If you're still at 100 approval you should be fine, losing out on the aura of empire influence hurts but if you get the +50 influence per level wonder you should be fine. I didn't consider that you had a level 2 museum, that's +40 approval, and approval is usually the problem with having a bunch of level 1 districts.

Pretty sure the bonus is the same for the city center as normal districts, 15 approval, 2 dust, 2 science, 2 influence, possible additional bonuses from late game buildings.

If you're doing cult, the slavery capacity that some necrophage heroes have is really powerful for the cult. It gives +1 industry per pop and +1 food per pop for every pacified village, so normally +3 to both for a 3-village region. But it also works with converted villages, letting the cult get insane food and industry. The cult also gets level 3 districts, so you'll probably want to stick to a line pretty strictly until you run out of space. Abbey/intensifiers being exceptions if you get places to put them next to the line, since you don't really care for their levels. Also I'm pretty sure one of the cult faction quests requires/can require getting your city center to level 3, so keep that in mind while placing districts.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Spanish Matlock posted:

I assume those are some good anomalies, in which case congratulations on winning the game. As a side note, I'd recommend reconvening your army asap. Those preachers aren't going to be able to do poo poo on their own. If you can try to pacify that starting village through the quest or bribery so they can start popping out soldiers for you asap.

They're not going to do poo poo together either though, are they? And even on their own they can see and explore ruins and parley/bribe/convert. And you want to put your hero in as a governor at level 2, right? I did't do that the last time I played cult and it really felt like the lack of influence screwed me over.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Spanish Matlock posted:

I assume those are some good anomalies, in which case congratulations on winning the game. As a side note, I'd recommend reconvening your army asap. Those preachers aren't going to be able to do poo poo on their own. If you can try to pacify that starting village through the quest or bribery so they can start popping out soldiers for you asap.

They're not going to do poo poo together either though, are they? And even on their own they can see and explore ruins and parley/bribe/convert. And you want to put your hero in as a governor at level 2, right? I did't do that the last time I played cult and it really felt like the lack of influence screwed me over.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Getting to era 2 by the first empire plan as cultists doesn't sound like something you can reliably do. Never tried it myself, but you'd probably have to go for the mineralogy center immediately after mill or something. It's something usually done with Ardent Mages, Mezari or Forgotten, I believe. You could probably do it as other factions but the point is to get -33% building cost and -25% buyout cost empire plans, so you also need 120 influence. Getting both is probably impossible for most factions. Drakkens should also get at least the -33% production cost for buildings too, but they don't have to get to era 2 for that so it's easy.

Cultists probably have the influence side covered since the starting hero has influence boost and they might not want the buyout cost early, but I honestly don't know if it's worth it to focus on science that early. That's a lot of production to sink into it. Plus you're not converting anything if you dump all of your influence to getting tier 2 empire plans.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

HundredBears posted:

Nope. Governors get a portion of the industry cost of anything their city builds as xp, just like in ES2. It's enough to outstrip the xp from a garrison in most cases and is many times higher in a city with an industrial focus. A garrison for xp is often still worth it, but as much because of how easy it is to spare the industry and upkeep by some point in the mid-game than the moderate benefits: the difference between spending 100 turns in a city with a six-unit garrison and a city with no units is two levels or less on the sort of hero that's been around for that long.

Of course, the time between getting meritocratic promotion and the game ending is probably less than 100 turns on normal speed. Still probably worthwhile, especially if it's a border city. Just build units with a tier 1 weapon and not armor/accessories and retrofit later if you end up needing them. Speaking of which: Never buy properly equipped units with dust, it costs more than buying them with nothing and retrofitting them. Unless you value the extra hero exp on the governor more than the dust, I guess. Honestly I basically never build real units after the early game these days unless I'm in a war or intend to be very soon, no need to spend production now instead of dust later. Unless I'm building them to sell to the market.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
It does benefit from industry cost reductions, which is part of why the -33% empire plan is so powerful. According to the wiki, the formula is (remaining industry cost)^1.2. Which makes dust a bit better on faster game speeds, but the exponent is small enough that the difference isn't that big. Unless I'm screwing something up, the ratio of the ratios of dust buyout cost and industry cost on fast and endless speeds is 4^0.2, or about 1.32. So while buying with dust is less efficient on endless, it's probably not a huge deal. Who the hell plays on anything slower than normal anyway?

Also, looking at the retrofit cost formula, it's apparently 0.75*(industry cost)^1.1. I'm assuming the industry cost means the difference between the cost of the models. So I guess if you have at least than 25% unit cost reduction, it's actually cheaper to buy the units directly after all, and maybe for just -20% as well with sufficiently expensive units. Huh.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I've never bothered with Endless Mechanisms (at that point in the game I really don't feel like checking dozens of ruins again), but if you do IIRC you should probabably wait for era 5 before actually getting all the ruins again for better rewards. Other than that, you can buy what's on the market, which isn't much most of the time, conquer regions that do have them, or beat them up until they give all/most of their hyperium/mithrite for a truce (you can also give them their cities back in the truce if you really don't want them, which probably helps with getting all of the resources too).

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Avasculous posted:

-"Salt the Earth" (razes the city) takes 1 turn to build and returns your settler with full movement. So you can Settle, get what FIDSI is there, and immediately move and resettle next turn. It's not ideal, but it will buy you a couple more turns to find a better spot. I did this in our last game.

I wouldn't recommend razing your palace. The loss of the dust income could easily create problems early on, and the extra expansion disapproval would be annoying later (and maybe even early on, especially for the Allayi).

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

Shove your Cultist hero in the city if you haven't already. Buy more heroes later for armies.

This is good early when you have few converted villages, but you really want a Necrophage hero with the Slavery civic later on for insane food and industry.

Wrt city shapes, from an old post (e:note that I'm considering the city centeer a district throughout)::

Staltran posted:

Because I have too much time on my hands

Pink is exploitation, blue level 1 district, green level 2, and black level 3. So, to completely overthink things:

Lines with n districts have (for n>3) [...] a total of 2n-4 district levels [for non-cultists]. For cultists, for n>7 lines have [...] a total of 3n-12 district levels. Lines have n+6 exploitations.
A complete triangle with n districts has [...] a total of 2n-3 district levels. For cultists and n>=10, [a complete triangle has] a total of 3n-12 district levels. [a 6-triangle has as many exploitations as a 6-line, at 10 districts 1 less, 3 less at 15, 6 less at 21, etc. Combined with incomplete triangles being less efficient lines should be preferred for cultists, region shape allowing.]

For non-cultists, triangles have one more district level than lines. However, they're a bit awkward to expand on and have less exploitation. I'd suggest not making triangles bigger than 10 districts. For cultists, lines get a second level 3 district a district sooner than triangles, and stay even with completed triangles after that. Lines seem to be strictly better. [assuming region of infinite size here, triangle might be better long term depending on region shape since line bends really hurt district level efficiency for the cult–though it might also be best to start with a line and start expanding it to a triangle when out of space]

At 6 districts the triangle is strictly superior [including cult]. [for non-cult 10-triangle has one more district level and one less exploitation than line, which is also better. For cult it has the same district levels but one less exploitation so it's worse]

Expanding into a line from a 6-triangle seems equivalent to a strict line, and a 6-triangle is better than a 6-line so this nail-on-a-board (can't come up with a good name here) design seems better than an actual line.
Short version: start with a 6-district triangle, then build a 2-district wide line after that. Probably do a bigger triangle instead if region shape doesn't work for a long line.

Side note: for most factions 10 districts is a pretty big city (size 18 without special districts), so it can be good to just plan for a triangle at that district counts and leave it at that rather than investing into more food. Personally I prefer doing lines after the 6-triangle though. e: note though that you only need to commit for going for a 10-triangle instead of transitioning to a line at 9 districts, the seventh and eighth district can be placed so you can do either)

Staltran fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 2, 2019

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Did the Slavery capacity get nerfed on cultists at some point? Or maybe it's a community patch thing. What's a good cult governor without slavery, Exid the Chosen? (Also I clearly have forgotten how to play Cultists.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

Slavery... capacity?

You talking about the neutral villages sending in free recruits once converted? Or getting stockpiles for razing enemy cities? Cuz otherwise I have no idea what you're referencing, the only mentions of slavery I can think of are lore snippets in the Cultist quest and the fluff of the Teir2 money-buyout tech.

It's been a long time since I've played, to be fair.

It's a capacity that some Necrophage heroes have. It increases food and industry per pop assigned by the amount of pacified (and intact) villages in the region, and it used to count all converted villages for that, allowing you to get oodles of food and industry. But it didn't work when I tried it a couple days ago (it even stopped counting the pacified village actually in my region when I converted it), not sure if it was nerfed some time in the last four years or if the community patch changed it.