Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
drat this game is pretty. Could use a UI reference/tutorial but still, looks niiiiice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Beamed posted:

Aren't you the one who thought Stellaris was as bad as Beyond Earth on release? :ironicat:

Id agree with that assessment. Beyond Earth wasn't great by any means but at least it wasn't completely tedious to play a game to completion.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

So what's the deal with successfully sieging planets? Just started a new coop game after not touching this game since early access. I attacked an AI neighbor and start invading the system. Starts off with equal manpower on both sides and I'm taking higher losses. Not a big deal though, I can send empty ships back to my territory for more troops, and just work on wearing them down over time. That continues for about 10 turns until it gets to the point where I'm sending the max 900 manpower against 100 or less of theirs. Every turn they conscript back up to a decent manpower level, then fall back down to 10 or so after the fight. This continues for another 5 or 10 turns until they send a large enough fleet to chase me off.

What am I doing wrong? Are sieges just always long slogs until the planet's entire pop is dead?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Speedball posted:

Hell yeah. An RPG taking place on Auriga would be amazing.

So, Dungeon of the Endless?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Why does Horatio suck? Yeah the extra ship cost is lame but seems like splicing would more than make up for it in the long term.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

So what's the trick to maintaining enough happiness for a huge empire? I'm guessing that the options are to force religious to win every election to keep Saints and Sinners up, or just have every system development tier go with whatever luxuries you happen to have a huge stockpile of so you can upgrade most of your systems to level four and increase your system cap to keep up. I'm trying to focus growing minor populations that give happiness on splicing, but that's going extremely slowly.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

I'd enjoy that, have nothing but a single coop game of ES2 under my belt though.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Yall can hate on the Horatio, but it sure is fun once you get to late game. I spent ages trying to farm up enough Vodyani to splice.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Serephina posted:

I've not bought the various DLCs so this info might be outdated:

Optimal naval layouts are either
  • 100% context sensitive on what the primary opponent has for a close fight
  • Your racial special techs which are unusually good (ie Riftborn have great beams)
  • Whatever you feel like since you're ahead

The Endless series has always had a weak point in handling a run-away player who is snowballing militarily. Once you start winning, you can keep going across the map until you get bored and quit the campaign. I've found no good rule-of-thumb for captured stuff yet, I generally keep or raze according to how nice they are or if I need the friednly territory to heal etc.

And yes, the AI diplomacy stuff is sometimes comical on how badly they fail to grasp the situation at times.

Counterpoint: the way-behind AI demanding everything you have is good and funny.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

So I find the hacking system pretty confusing. Started up a new game the other day, and got to the point where I built a trading company, then noticed that I couldn't actually build a subsidiary anywhere. Clicking on the building view for that system shows 0 buildings and just a horatio hero portrait with the money per turn cost. I assume there's some hack that shuts down buildings for a system. How do I actually get rid of that? I already had the basic defensive program running on that system.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Turns out folks with steam endless space and folks with Gamepass PC endless space can't play with each other. So much for an MP game with the buds.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

How do I shut down enemy outposts as Vodyani? I've had a fleet parked over a system I want for most of the game now, blockading and shooting down every civilian ship I see. The outpost's timer has gone up to like 45 turns, but it's still at positive food.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Starting my own as Vodyani isnt an option while theres another outpost. I ended up starting another game as Hissho and outposts are disappearing nearly instantly on blockade so I'm wondering if it might just be bugged.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

I was hoping all these new posts were somethin to do with Humankind. I think the more I've played ES2, the less I like it. The braindead AI is just too much of a downer. Also I'm gettin real sick of seeing the same few random events/questchains every single game.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Tulip posted:

Last piece of news about Humankind is the release date is now August.

I'm kind of of two minds about it. On the one hand, every thing I learn about the game just fills me with dread and disgust, it's like staring into an abyss. On the other, I like most of Amplitude's stuff quite a lot and I doubt they could really recover from a major release bombing completely, so a failure here could end the studio (unless Endless Dungeon is a wild success). I prefer to not think too much about it.

Well now I gotta know. Just what is provoking so strong a reaction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Tulip posted:

The fundamental connected lore is that Endless Legend takes place in the dying days of the Endless Empire - Auriga is a laboratory planet of the Endless and the winters are the result of the planet basically going haywire as the lack of maintenance causes the whole thing to fall apart. Endless Space 2 takes place not super long after - the Endless are all gone but the Cravers and Vodyani at a minimum have some knowledge of the Endless, though most of the other factions seem to treat the Endless as more or less mythological and they've developed their own spacefaring tech so either the Endless spent a decent amount of time dwindled very far down or they developed that tech crazy fast. The Vaulters are the same faction: basically they canonically "won" EL and got off before it turned into a complete snowball. I forget how explicit it is but the Cravers are (probably) Necrophage derived.

ES2 basically completely overwrites ES1. I don't know how DOTE fits in really.

I briefly did an SSLP but I never finished it because I got burnt out on fixing uploads (apparently what I thought were legible uploads gave readers headaches). I hope somebody else does the game justice because I am not confident about either my abilities to write a decent LP nor my ability to follow through enough to do it justice.

Is that so? I'd always had the impression it took place long after the endless died off and the planet is finally breaking down centuries or millennia later. Not a lore expert though.