Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I was also one of the complainers, and in fact I suggested the system they ended up using (not that they copied me necessarily, it was a pretty obvious compromise between EL and ES1).

I do agree that lumping more things into the automatic tier rewards could have been a nice way of handling it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Is there a place I can go to get a brief synopsis of how all the Endless games tie together as far as dust, aurigua, vaulters, etc? I understand there’s some connections but because it’s in a strategy game I have a harder time absorbing it.

The basic premise is that in the distant past there was a super-advanced spacefaring civilization called "the Endless." They basically ruled all of known space, that's why it's called "Endless Space." They've left behind plenty of artifacts, but most importantly is "dust" a form of particulate nanomachine computer that is essentially magic. It reads people's thoughts and does whatever they want, and the more you have of it the better so everyone wants more. No one else is technology advanced enough to understand how it works, so they can't make more of it.

Eventually the Endless split into two factions, the Concrete Endless (who preferred physical bodies) and the Virtual Endless (who uploaded themselves into the dust). They had a civil war that destroyed their entire civilization.

Many of the factions were created by the Endless in one way or another, either as slaves or tools or simply experiments. For example, the Sowers are a sentient terraforming machine, while the Cravers are genetically modified cyborg battle slaves. This is most apparent on Auriga, which is explicitly an Endless laboratory world: everything there is an experiment by the Endless. Since even the environment was being controlled as part of the experiment, it eventually collapses into an eternal ice age without the Endless around to maintain it.

The Vaulters are just some guys, they're not important.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 8, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Also, the Sowers aren't important at all either (and got demoted to minor faction in ES2), but "renegade terraforming engine" is my favorite faction and I'm glad they got a shout-out in the backstory of the one of the EL factions. The lava guys fled their homeworld because it was being aggressively terraformed by the Sowers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

They're the PoV that forms the spine of the series though?

I mean they're clearly a dev and fan favorite, but personally I don't find them very interesting and honestly they don't add anything to the setting of the series imo. They're just dudes who happened to be present for some stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Admiral Funk posted:

A few things to know about the UC and hacking.
  • The UC has the nonsensically undocumented ~spooky secret~ ability to gain more than one population per turn if their food production is high enough. At high food production you can pretty much ensure that the population of any colonized system where you also have a sanctuary is made up entirely of your sleepers.

• As far as I can tell (for some reason it's unclear who would have guessed) when you use abduct sleepers on a home system it takes 1 sleeper from each of their systems that you have a sleeper in. Last I checked it only takes sleepers who you had at the start of the turn so finishing the hack -> minimizing the hacking outcome menu -> turning a sanctuary pop into a sleeper -> finalizing the abduction on their home doesn't work.

Today I learned that you can turn sanctuary pops into sleepers. I thought you had to do it manually one at a time with separate hacking event.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Riftborn would be amazing if they could terraform your planets into sterile cubes.

Unfortunately they cannot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I've never finished the Vodyani one because it required me to like blow up three planets or something and that took forever so I'd just beat the game first.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The gameplay in ES2 is almost universally better, but personally I think I liked the factions in ES1 more. They tend to be more alien, while the ones in ES2 are more human. For example, the peaceful trading race in ES1 are weird amoebas, while the peaceful trading race in ES2 are green mafia dudes, and I find that a lot less interesting.

I also really liked the concept behind the Sowers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Always spam colonizers. There's no benefit to playing tall so go as wide as you can afford. You just need to make sure you're generating enough happiness. That said, any system with 2 or less planets probably shouldn't be a priority.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

And from memory, the Vodyani quest has some weird stuff in it- blowing up planets or something?- which makes it trickier to accidentally trigger in the course of building up your empire.

Yeah, you have to so far out of your way to complete their quest that I'm usually sick of it by then and just win.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Vasler posted:

5. Is diplomacy useful at all? Everyone seems mad at me (Cravers and some wandering nomads so far) and the one group that's friendly to me (they keep sending me messages like, "who's awesome? You're awesome!") refuses every single trade deal I propose.

There isn't like any particular reason to go for diplomacy unless you want to, but it's honestly pretty easy to get like 75% of the galaxy on your side, to the point where you are getting invited into competing alliances all the time. Just give the AI deals that are heavily unbalanced in their favor (like, peace but also we're giving you a ton of titanium) and they will accept. And after they accept, they love you more and more for each turn that you have an agreement with them, so the love starts snowballing. This is especially easy with Pacifist factions because you can spend influence to force a peace and even though they'll complain, being at peace still makes them love you over time.

That said, the remaining 25% of the galaxy will probably consider you a rival and declare war on you eventually. Ideally you will be in an alliance with everyone else by then though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Probably should've had less transitions, like 1-2 at most, and focused more on making each combination feel unique.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

What genre even is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I would describe it as highly resistant to roleplaying.