Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sitting down with ES2. Is that a baby Sophon on the "Beginner" tutorial option? It's adorable :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Rushing medium hulls might be useful- because that tech also unlocks a bunch of extra slots on small hulls. Four angry Accelerators crammed to the gills with lasers is probably going to do you better than a single basic Smasher.

But you're probably better off picking up yellow or blue weapons.

I don't know about the other races, but Sophons can stick long range weapons on their smalls too, so that's not really an advantage of mediums. Unless the hull multiplier for modules affects range as well?

e: no, in fact, they can't put missiles on smalls. I must have hallucinated that.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 12, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I will always, always take Silics first over anything else, even if I only have one village. Strategic resources are just so, so important, militarily and strategically, and increased production often means the difference between bottlenecking on those and not. The unit I never bother with, though; I never bother with any of the meatshield units. I've given up hope of ever figuring out a way of holding a line in this game. They're just too drat slow to reliably get to the positions they need to get to.

Haunts are another favourite. I always want faster science, and the Ended's mobility and damage output can be ludicrous. Amazing flanker units. I hadn't realised they were so expensive, though. The Kazanji might be better in the role, though I'm much less interested in influence than science.

The Eyeless Ones are growing on me recently. Happiness is always useful, and their healer units have turned out to be much more useful than I was expecting. I almost never bother with support units, either.

Erycis are a faction I always want, but rarely actually use. I love their mad snakey bastard units and I love extra speed for my armies, but neither of these things are ever vital to a strategy, which makes it hard to justify a slot for them.