Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So I bought Endless Space 2 once the steam sale started and it has just devoured my time the past week. Off the advice of the thread I avoided all the expansions but the Vaulters, but my problem is the first race I started playing was the Vaulters and I have a hard time playing anything. Being science based, with portals, their different colonization and the best scout in the game have really hurt my enjoyment playing any other faction. (Also I'm a sucker for any woman lead faction, doubly so when it seems they are now a Homeworld reference.)

For normal factions, is there any blanket advice in terms of how much to spam colonizers? Also some kind of key research order? Since I'm used to Vaulters with their science machine just printing out techs no matter how stupid I am. And is it better to have a larger or smaller map? When I play with the recommended number of ai's, it feels incredibly cramped. (Though it makes the slow move speed feel slightly better.)

Eimi fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Clarste posted:

Always spam colonizers. There's no benefit to playing tall so go as wide as you can afford. You just need to make sure you're generating enough happiness. That said, any system with 2 or less planets probably shouldn't be a priority.

Would a system with a low amount of planets be worth it if it had a unique planet in it?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Do the Vaulters get anything special if they return to/(re)claim Auriga?

It's part of their quest, they need to find it and at least search anomaly's on it. You don't need to colonize it iirc. Oh it also gives a happiness malus/science boost when you find it. At the end of their questline you find out that those left behind colonized a new system named for Auriga and you get a bonus pop that's either science or mil focused.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So having played and won with the other factions some Vaulter's still remain my favorite. Partly because I just love their theme, as a woman I always appreciate any faction lead by a woman, especially when they are relatively good guys. Also while portals are amazing, honestly their incredible scout ship might be my favorite thing they offer. Having four modules right away means you can actually move at a decent pace and analyze an anomaly a turn, compared to the other races where if you want to go after anomaly's it's better to just make a second version with no engines but lots of probes. My second favorite race would probably be the Unfallen, because their method of peaceful takeover is really funny. Buddy up to someone, give them all these buffs while your vines tick down, until you hit the button and assimilate them all at once. I wouldn't be surprised if they were based on the Muir from the Hyperion Cantos, who are similarly trying to connect the universe together with vines as a form of fast travel and togetherness.

One thing I've found annoying is the Academy questline. I enjoy the narrative, but it turns into a ton of annoying busywork. The rewards are nice but given how late it starts, redundant. Though on a lore related question, who would actually want to bring back the Lost? I guess the Unfallen because their Heart is one, was Auriga a Lost?

E: also given how sad that Vaulter's comic was I wish their quest made a bigger deal out of Zolya's daughter surviving. Getting her as a hero would be cool.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 5, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

There is also a tech that gives a building that gives you around 1 influence a pop that you can use if you dont want to use the specialization. As vaulters that's all I really worry about influence wise and it does the job.

As for dust get the dust per pop buildings or trade companies. Trade companies are only worth it if you made your territory contiguous though so I prefer dust/pop as vaulters.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I didn't play ES1 with later patches, so let me know if this changed, but the biggest was they made the counters less hard, so in 2 you can fill your fleet up with beams and handle everyone just fine, but in ES1 the gods damned AI would hard counter any fleet you built in like 10 turns which was awful and made war the least fun I've ever had in a 4x. :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I want Mass Effect but in the Endless universe.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I mean at least all the vaulter dlc does is add them as a faction, with no other features. Granted I love the vaulters so very much worth it from that angle. :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

For me it's not even those implications but rather that I think building your bonuses in game is just going to be really boring and turn everything into a samey slurry. Like at least in civ when I decide to play as Babylon my game is going to be quite different from if I played as China or whatever, but here? I don't even know what I'll be and how would I ever really get a sense of uniqueness either in myself or my opponent. Especially when Amplitude is so good at designing unique factions.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Rhjamiz posted:

Personally I just find historical games more boring. I want to smash spaceships and dragons against one another. Not Yet Another Game With Rome.

And this is why Total Warhammer is perfect because there are Aztec Dinosaurs who ride other bigger Dinosaurs and also fight like Romans. On dinosaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It's entirely the culture switching. It muddies who you play as, as well as who you play against. Like the ai players are impossible to tell who is who, their clothing switches and they never had a personality so it's lucky if I can remember what color they are. Meanwhile for me I'm never playing a game as any specific faction, just the most powerful bonus I could grab. Maybe poo poo is more balanced now but I remember in every tier there just was a correct choice and everyone else, and it was easy to beeline to the right one like the guys that let you build the overpowered aqueducts and stuff. Also for trying to have environmental themes it was weird that basically there was no reason to not built Mega City One and crush the entire map under the weight of your districts.