Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Is there a mod or option I can't find in Endless Legend that will makes the labels on cities take up less space? My only gripe with this game is that I have to zoom in and out to look around the giant city labels on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Serephina posted:

So, that site throws up security certificate issues, asks for your DOB, then loving asks for a login, all without providing any content, or clue to what the loving content might be. Great loving link, care to tell what we're talking about?

Same. gently caress Sega.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Serephina posted:

I play the game on WINE, and have tempest enabled so that the water will render properly (else it's just a black void gfx glitch), but I absolutely loath all the actual tempest content; lovely naval techs whose purchase comes with a huge opportunity cost, the way embarked units fight, etc. I really don't get the point of it, and am sick of the facility notifications winge-ing on as if they're relevant. So I just enable tempest, then set the world gen to disable bodies of water. Helps!

If you start the game surrounded, then ocean domination is an awesome option to have. Facilities give a ton of cool stuff.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Really liking this game. Probably quitting for now due to slowdown and some bugs, but I'm going to really be into this in a couple of months.

Game made me miss EL anyway, and I still have a couple races to hear that game with.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I haven't played or analyzed the tech tree enough, but I wonder if long range being superior is that bad of a thing. I mean, if I were designing a real life space fleet, it would be mostly ships that can hit the enemy at a range they cannot hit me.

Maybe the short range isn't supposed to be as good as long range. You just researched a technology to get better dust collection, and you also happened to get some close range weapons that can at least keep you in the fight. The other guy was willing to forego the dust collection so he could artillery you.

Not saying that is the way it was designed, but it it was I'd be fine with it.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jastiger posted:

Is there any use for luxuries outside upgrading star systems? Seems silly to have tons of luxuries and only ever use 6 or so.

You can encourage certain species in your empire to breed faster if you have the exact luxury they like. I forget how to get to it exactly. I think the bottom panel of the Senate screen does it.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Nothing gets me harder than super spuds.

You sure you want the whole world to know that, chief?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Onean posted:

There's two types of damage and two types of weapons for each, so four different types of weapons. The range effectiveness determines a weapon's accuracy. Each weapon interacts with defenses a little differently as well.
  • Projectile weapons are Missile and Kinetic.
    • Missile range is: 100% long and 80% medium and they cannot fire at short. They are generally second for damage and have the lowest crit chance.
    • Missiles have 10% hull plating penetration and 90% shield penetration.
    • Kinetic range is: 80% long, 100% medium and 100% short. They can shoot down missiles. They're fairly even with Laser damage and have the second lowest crit chance.
    • Kinetic weapons have 30% hull plating penetration and 80% shield penetration.
  • Energy weapons are Laser and Beam.
    • Laser range is: 100% long, 100% medium and 80% short. They're fairly even with Kinetic damage and have the second highest chance to crit.
    • Lasers have 80% hull plating penetration and 30% shield penetration.
    • Beams are 100% effective at short range, and cannot fire at any other range. They have the highest damage by a large margin and the highest crit chance.
    • Beams have 90% hull plating penetration and 10% shield penetration.

Awesome. Thank you. I had almost thought the difference between the sub-classes in projectile and energy weapons were only for flavor.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Last game by tbis studio got three new faction DLCs. Each faction specialized in a new aspect of the game that was added to the game with the faction. There were some minor DLCs as well.

It was some pretty good additional content. I'm hoping for more than 3 additional factions this time though even if not all of them come with some new game mechanic.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Stellaris is going to be awesome in a couple of years.

GalCiv is insultingly bad. I don't think I've ever given up completely on a 4x game in one day before I met Galactic Civilizations 3.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I really like both games, but I play ES2 more. Stellaris is a game I'm only dabbling in every once in a while because I k ow it's going to get super complex down the line and actually become something more of a hobby for the few months I eventually decide to delve into it.

ES2, I can just dive into for some casual gameplay.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Whatever words the developers used to describe the strength of that sea monster were perfect, because I believed them and never tried.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

In EL I'm having trouble keeping my armies up to the same experience level as my opponents. I have the same number of troops with maxed out equipment, but they are usually two levels later than me.

I can't level up existing troops as fast as I enter new eras. Is it a realistic strategy to sell my level 2 or 3 troops when I get to the fourth age just to help me quick buy some level 4 dudes?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

So I read the first ~10 pages of the thread and the last three. The OP is horribly out of date, hard to read, and has a bunch of typos so I did not find it very useful.

Based on the past 3 pages of the thread, it looks like Endless Space 2 still needs work before it will be good. That is unfortunate because at the beginning of thread -over a year ago- it was going into Early Access. The fact that it still isnt very good is a pretty bad sign.

I had never really heard of Endless Legend or Dungeon of the Endless (correct me if I got either of those names wrong). Based on what I have interpreted, Endless Legend is a hex-based 4x where you are playing as a faction and playing a Civ-like game? DotE is a "rogue like"? How is Endless Legend? Has it received any more development after the expansion that gave it the seafaring faction? If I hate Civ5 because the annihilation combat is boring and awful, the tech tree is boring, there is no diplomacy to speak of, the city management / build management is dumb as gently caress, Wonders are retarded, and there is no endgame content, should I bother with Endless Legend?

edit: I just re-read my post and I feel like I sound super salty, not trying to be, just tired. I put a ton of hours into Civ5 but never got good at it because of how I wanted to play/how I felt it should work, compared to how it actually plays and works. I would get obsessed with building certain wonders, getting certain city sites, and building up elite military units and then get pissed when they died to AI shenanigans later in the game because it was annihilation combat.

I'd say that the big difference between Civ 5 and EL is that Civ 5 is a game where all of the factions play very similarly unless you have the experience to make their differences actually matter. This makes you very familiar with all mechanics of the game because every civ plays similarly, and the fun of playing different civs comes from exploiting the rules in very specific ways. EL is different because each of the factions are so unique that they all touch upon the rules in different ways.

Generic Octopus went into more detail about each of your points, but I'll generically say that I started playing EL a couple of months before Civ 6 was announced because I was sick of the redundancy of Civ 5. I was sick of the same build orders, and having to take rationalism 100% of the time. It sounds like the you're in the same boat. I've played a lot of EL, and I haven't established the same familiarity I had with Civ 5, but I really enjoy the game because of how different it is.

The game is so unbalanced that you actually have to make different decisions based upon who your neighbor is. It's not always a compound bow rush to fend off your enemy. Every faction has its own unique units, and only its unique units.(Except for minor factions, which you can take over and integrate into your army.) This means that your starter unit may be the answer to your neighbor, and you'll be fine. It might also mean that your starting unit is dead meat to your enemy, and you'll have to research another unit to survive, or take over a minor faction to fight back. The decision actually is different every game.

So, coming from a strong Civ 5 background, I say: try it. It's a good game, and you should try it.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 20, 2017

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Annath posted:

Is there a good intro or let's play for Endless Legend?

I love the look of the game, but it's incredibly dense on mechanics and systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOFhs-wsNEo&list=PLa53kfJdPTHCyWFQi02JSD64RZ-milhmO

This guy has some good tutorials. Every time I jump back in, I watch his combat tutorials to refresh.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Jeez, Impossible AI in Endless Legend is brutal. Do they just get infinite Settlers or something?

It's always the extra xp boost per turn that the AI units get that messes with me. Especially since I seem to be next the Necrophages every game.

I've encountered the AI expanding rapidly often enough, but not every game.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Neat. I was just thinking about getting back into EL.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm going to guess that Inferno has an underground theme of some sort.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Yeah, I think once you make a successful 4x game, you stay in that franchise and never leave. It's particularly hard to pull me away from the ones I like and invest time learning a new one to the degree that I can fully enjoy it. Have to keep those repeat customers with such a high learning curve.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

In Endless Space 2, is there any way to see a list of minor factions and your relationship to them and other related info? Can't seem to find that information unless I hunt and peck for the actual star systems they live in.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

While I'm on ES2 questions: is there a mod or something that makes the playing field more visible? About 2-30 turns in, I have trouble distinguishing unexplored territory that I need to send probes into from background noise. Especially when near the galactic core.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The new Endless Legend expansion is made by the guys who rebooted Master of Orion, which I found to be milquetoast and uninspired. I'll probably still get it, but I'm less excited now.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I think I like the Hissho and their keii ability from what I've read. I like how amplitude forces war in their games. ES2 needed another forced war faction because my games have been way too peaceful.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I haven't played in a few months, but from memory:

1. Science is a huge barrier to learning this game because you have to learn what 20 different things do in each new era. There is nothing you can do here except keep playing and let it set in with time.

2. In Era 2 or 3, there is a tech that lets you build stockpiles, which pretty much do what you are describing. What you described is a problem until you get those though.

3. Someone better at the game than me should take this one. But it isn't like Civ where every faction should expand similarly. Some factions should expand fast in this game, and some should expand slowly.

4. Unless I'm the Morgawr, I only focus on oceans if I'm landlocked from expanding by other factions.

5. Another thing you'll learn as time goes on. Interacting with winter and pearls takes good knowledge of the game to properly exploit. Build the Temple of Auriga early on and experiment. Maybe play the Allayi for a few games to help you understand winter a little better. Other factions won't use winter to the extent the Allayi do, but it will give you an idea.

6. Each minor village you pacify gives you one population in your city in that region, even if they aren't assimilated. Some factions interact with minor factions differently, but the most common thing would be to pacify them. As you get better at the game, you may start seeing that certain minor factions are worth assimilating for their units if you are playing a faction where that minor unit will fill in a gap in the weakness of your own units.

7. You are correct.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

EL has made me realize just how little the Civilization series has evolved since the 1990s. The level of gameplay innovation (or lack thereof) is just incomparable.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It's hard to imagine making radical mechanical features for a collection of cultures that are all the same biological race, though. Venice in Civ V was the closest I've seen to something like that.

These are both true.

The problem with the Civ games is that they don't take advantage of their familiar gameplay. I settled into every Civ game like I'd been playing it for years because I have. I usually like that because I generally like the game. The problem is that such a familiar game should have been perfected by now. The pacing should be perfect, the end game should not be a boring slog, the UI should show information, navies should matter, and known issues from the previous entry should have been addressed. I'm losing a lot of interest in the series, and it needs a direct competitor so I can jump ship.

One thing that I do like about Civ V and VI is that the factions are just different enough that I can properly exploit their advantages without the game completely changing. In EL, I only really care about oceans if I'm the Morgawr, I only really care about stealth and espionage if I'm the Forgotten, and I only really care about the marketplace if I'm the Roving Clans. It makes each faction different and fun, but they each still feel like they are playing different games on the same board, and it makes war feel like the only common action. The numerous, uninteractive victory conditions don't help this.

In contrast, the Civilization series does feel like every faction is playing the same game, and I don't ignore any aspect of the game when I'm playing it.The downside is that even though every faction is playing the same game, that game sucks.

I think what the Endless series needs is some factions that have half powers that dabble into other aspects of the game. Maybe the Roving Clans are the faction that interact most uniquely and favorably with the market, but give two other factions some trait that slightly encourages market play so the Roving Clans aren't just marketing all by themselves with no competition.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 29, 2018

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I like Inferno. Doesn't add much, but it doesn't get in the way either. Eclipses are fine except they darken the map, so the pretty summer time look of the game is getting more rare.

The new faction's terraforming is pretty interesting. Even if you don't terraform tiles being exploited by a rival faction's city, you can still use terraformed tiles near their city or in their territory as special tiles that give you bonuses in combat. It's a neat little permanent half-base.

Weirdly, I think the part I like best is that you can re-explore ruins during eclipses. It makes ruin exploring technologies and hero abilities actually worth getting.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 2, 2018

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

AnEdgelord posted:

One thing I wish you could do with Kapaku is convert an entire region to volcanic without having to lay down a bunch of volcanoformers manually. I don't even care if it happens slowly, I just find the creep spreading to be a bit tedious once you're just filling out the region for city districts.

By the time you'd be able to convert entire regions you shouldn't have to.

And imagine playing against that.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tree Bucket posted:

"Chagrin" is an extraordinarily polite term...
ES2 now offers the uniquely horrible situation of sticking a ruler next to your screen to work what the Obliterator is going to hit, and how many turns it is likely to take, and comparing that against how many turns it will take you to research System Shields and sell all your stuff to buy enough titanium to build the blasted thing.

This sounds loving stupid. When I read someone talking about the obliterator, and its lack of UI help, it was a beta player. I'm sure they'll patch it, but it sounds incredibally unfun to scan the map for projectiles every turn.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

This is going to sound really weird, but has anyone heard the game slightly yell "Hey!" since the Endless Legend update?

At first I thought it was just something in the music, but I turned the music off, and there seems to be some guy in the ambient noise track yelling "Hey!" every 15 minutes or so. It's not very loud; just about as loud as the birds and waves and other ambient sounds.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Avasculous posted:

Are you using their combat spells?

This. Whenever I forget about their spells I get rocked every time.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Avasculous posted:

It doesn't help that the UI IIRC doesn't do anything to draw attention to their unique, super-useful mechanic.

Yeah, it's just a grey rectangle with options that blend in with the rest of the UI pretty seemlessly. So it's not bad UI; but its also not good UI. I'm fine with it though because it is easy to access and does explain itself. Most of the time I forget it is because I've been playing other factions and then randomly roll the Ardent Mages. If I purposely choose the Ardent Mages, then I'm more likely to remember.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I think the game needs races that are better at populating certain planets. Like some people who live on lava planets, and have to research to be able to live on temperate worlds.

Or blimp dudes who can only populate gas giants.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I really like this extended EL support.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Mameluke posted:

Are there any factions where it's not worth it to get their racial techs? I always consider them to be part and parcel of their unique abilities and usually make them one of my first few researches in a new tech era.

If you get really, really technical the there are probably racial techs you should not choose. But nobody gets that technical with this game. Get those awesome racial techs.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I was hoping for a direct Civilization competitor, but then someone said RPG based on Auriga so I'm hoping for that now.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Did they announce anything here?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Avasculous posted:

Jesus. What did they even do a stream for?

Yeah, the surprise seems to be that they are closing up shop.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Soonmot posted:

I bought EL on the steam sale and grabbed the all the faction dlc. Is there a good newbie tips post in the thread?

Watch this guy's stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOFhs-wsNEo

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Serephina posted:

5 tips for new players: an 11 minute video with no indications of what/when the tips are. Please watch the entire thing start to finish, and Like!

I'm recommending it because it is good, as is the rest of his EL content. If you'd bothered to actually watch it or look at this channel, you will also find a video that I consider to be the best explanation of the battle system that I've seen online.

What an asinine thing for you to get snooty about.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Eh, Serephina kinda has a point - so many things that could be written down in a wiki or even the description of the video are instead embedded somewhere in a longwinded video that is capped off with a "Please like, subscribe, and donate!". I find watching videos to learn something really hard - I would rather have referenceable written documentation than a video, 19 times out of 20. crt+f is your friend and you cannot do that with a video.

edit: Oftentimes a screenshot can be more helpful than a video when you can add overlays to the image and the image is static, rather than a video where the presenter often does not linger long enough and/or does not stress the important bits well enough.

I dunno, maybe I've just been burned by trying to watch the wrong videos.

I also prefer things to be written down. The problem is that a nice, bulleted list for EL does not exist as far as I've been able to tell. This was the source I used to learn the game, and it works. Youtube videos are just the times we live in now. It's either gain this information inefficiently or don't gain it at all.

So my suggestion stands. If you are a beginner, watch that video. If you want to learn how to use the battle system, search that guy's channel for his combat videos.