Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Excellent. Civilization needs some direct competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tulip posted:

this is probably my strongest reaction

The weaker issue is that mechanically I worry about it being one of those "modular system turns out to be solvable" things

Same. It's likely that there will always be a best choice, and that culture will be chosen every game, regardless of what has been happening in that game.

Still preliminary though. Maybe they'll make it work.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

From what I've read about the combat; it goes like this:

You control the units directly in a turn based manner.

Battles are limited to 9 battle turns. Those 9 battle turns are spread out between 3 game turns. So you will take your first 3 battle turns on the game turn that your armies meet. During your next game turn, turns 4-6 of the battle will commence. Game turn number 3 will allow battle turns 7-9 to occur.

This allows for tactical battle, but also an extra strategic layer since you can choose to move reinforcements from the main map during the game turns, and put them into the battle for the later battle turns.

I like it so far.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 23, 2019

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

quote:

Show off your tactical skills by mastering terrain elevation with city-building and full tactical battles.
Keep one step ahead of other civilizations through trade and subtle diplomacy.
Call upon your allies to transform an epic battle into a full-scale eight-player world war!

This also makes me believe that other nations will be able to join in battles as they are happening.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Rhjamiz posted:

Speaking of GalCiv3, how is it? I have it but I keep bouncing off it despite enjoying GalCiv2, and I feel like I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing.

I played it for about 8 hours and thought it was one of the most boring and confusing 4xs I've ever played. I barely remember anything about it except that I absolutely hated it.

I think I may have hated it so much because it treated space just like a land-based 4x with hexes and everything. So it's basically Civ only you can't decide where to place cities, and all of the tiles are water.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm not super into the story, buy my understanding of the Vaulters is that they are a people who constantly awaken during the end of the world and put all of their resources into hibernation/bomb shelter technology only to have their descendants wake up right when the world is ending again.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Ragnar34 posted:

Horatio is hosed up but the mechanics are really interesting. Not clear on why all their ships have to suck, though.

Because all ships must be as beautiful as Horatio.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

hulk hooligan posted:

Hey, everyone. I picked up the Endless Legend starter pack on the Steam summer sale, and it's incredible, I've been hooked on it ever since I started playing it a few days ago.

Beyond the starter pack, what's the next DLC that I should get? Like, is there an order of "you should buy X and then Y and then Z" or should I just get each one whenever?

Ultimately I'd like to collect all the DLC!

The DLCs are pretty independent of each other. Most add a new race and one new mechanic that interacts with the base game, but doesn't really interact with the other DLC mechanics. So you can get them in any order that you want. Just choose whichever new mechanic sounds the most fun, and get that one.

I guess I'd suggest the ocean one(Tempest?) first since water is irrelevant in the base game. It's probably the most complex of the DLCs, and I think it changes the game the most. Gives you a good base for the rest of the DLC.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 27, 2020

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ZearothK posted:

So, I finally grabbed Endless Legends Definitive. Is there any DLC I should disable for my first few games? Also what are the recommended starter factions?

Start with the wood elf dudes.

None of the DLC really gets in the way, in my opinion. I'd say you can safely disable every DLC except for the spies for your first game. Most DLCs add a bunch of minor and specific things that you can just add and catch onto pretty quickly. The spying is a little more substantial though, and it might be useful to get the hang of those mechanics as a base.

The second meatiest is the oceans DLC. The oceans give a lot of access to resources if you happen to be landlocked, and can definitely affect the game. If you want to start with less mechanics then I'd say to turn this off for your first couple of games, but turn it on once you get the hang of the land game.

All the remaining DLCs, you can just add simultaneously once you get the hang of the game.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do you mean "Boxed in by AI on land?" Because Landlocked means you dont have access to water.

Yes. Boxed in.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The culture switching would work very well in a physical board game, where you are interacting and outsmarting human opponents right next to you.

But 4x games aren't actual board games. In 4x games the fun comes from fighting the rules more than the opponent. The fun comes from mastering the rules and then applying small tweak to them for enough result to overcome all of the other rules. That's why it's fun to play a maritime empire that gets an advantage to ship speed and also fun to play a maritime empire that gets an advantage to trade.

Being able to switch which rule you are tweaking in mid game basically takes away the game part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I really love how much this company takes care of its games.