Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Tulip posted:

Eliminating another faction early on can be a crucial part of playing Cultists. For saying you're on one city, you need a surprising amount of space to take advantage of the "Gain FIDS from converted villages" thing. If you're hemmed in, your capital won't be as productive as you hope. The more villages you can keep up, the more powerful you get, and the fewer neighbors you have the more villages you can keep up.

Yeah, one of the key things people miss about EL is how much non-conquered space a game needs. This isn't like CIV where every inch of every continent needs to be someone's territory. Back in one of the closed betas I remember one of the dudes playing always set the map size to one size smaller than the number of players we had. He thought he was encouraging conflict, but what he was actually doing was completely neutering the Cultists, who couldn't farm any villages without immediately starting wars, the Necrophage, who had no roaming armies to eat, and the Clans, whose ability to spread out early and farm ruins was virtually meaningless with close neighbors on all sides.

It was great for Wild Walkers and Broken Lords, but almost all of the races in some way need unincorporated territory to play around in at various points in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Riso posted:

Yeah, techs giving auto-buffs to units is the obvious simple go to. No need for default armour or w/e just buff the base unit.

That kind of happens as is. As you advance in technology era the units you produce start at higher levels.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

IAmUnaware posted:

It's very common for people to advise killing anyone who settles near you, but diplomacy actually is very effective as well. If you are at peace with or allied with another player they can't attack your stuff (without dropping to cold war first), which includes your converted villages, even if those villages are in that player's territory. In my most recent Cultist game (on Endless) I just made friends with everybody and then converted everything I could afford to and rode to an easy diplomatic victory. The AI will periodically drop you to cold war and eat a village, but they'll often just let you re-up your relationship the same turn and then you can go and re-convert that one village.

Protip: Reconverting a destroyed village costs more influence, but it lets you get an immediate free unit for your hordes too!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Reading the EL steam guide posted a small way back and curious about this bit:

Anyone mind going into more detail on this? Is it as simple as settling a city, making some quick gold/science then next turn salting the earth and moving your settler on?

Yeah. The roving clans have a version of this ability where you can bring along any districts and buildings in your city when you go. But if you want to settle, say, on the other side of a region and it'll take three turns to schlep your dude over there, settle and queue up salt for that turn and you'll get a bit of extra fids. It's not broken or anything. It's just a couple extra bucks and science and influence each turn. You can't use any production since you can't take buildings with you.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Most people maintain that those games were p bad at release so I'm not sure what your angle is here.

I'd say I pretty unequivocally had more fun with Stellaris at release than BE. That's mostly because BE was just civ V painted purple though. If it was a stand alone game, maybe they'd be about equal. Endless games are miles ahead of both in completeness of content and fun though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Shouldn't be possible. Only things I can think of...

1) City #2 is actually in the process of razing but hasn't finished (I forget if raze time is a thing in EL)
2) There are two AI cultists in the game and this is a derp moment.

I'm betting on 2. 1 wouldn't be possible. There's a 1 turn raze time when you do it voluntarily, and you can't raze a city until it finishes its rebellion, but Clans with mercs and Cult just make them go *poof*

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Wouldn't be surprised about bugs since there seem to be a few of those floating around in the new version.

There's a really bad one where certain army stacks will constantly get confused about what tile they are actually standing on, which causes them to run in the wrong direction and eat up movement points. Not sure what causes it to happen specifically, my Hero lead stack gets it almost every other turn but my assorted skyfins don't get it at all.

There's a longstanding bug (in MP anyway) where a minor desync will activate the AI for your empire even though you're still playing. This results in you still having control of your stuff but the AI will move armies and reset city governance when you're not looking.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

BadOptics posted:

I might be down. There's a possible stellaris game this weekend due to the new dlc that's out tomorrow, but if it's on a different day I'd be more than happy to get some EL in.

Sunday at 3pm would be 3am monday for me, but I'd be down for anything that fits into the Taipei time zone.

Sooo like Sunday morning (Sunday night for me) or Saturday around noon (saturday around midnight)

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I'd be more or less down for either of those times. It is the weekend so I will be drunk. There's a couple other dudes in Taipei who might be interested.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

victrix posted:

Kicking myself for not picking up Shifters and the other micro dlc when it was on sale, was busy and not using my PC/Steam at the time it was on sale :eng99:

Fortunately thanks to the power of the endless series not being a money grubbing blackhole of poo poo and garbage like some other 4x games (Civilization) you can play all of those wonderful expansions in multiplayer if the host has them!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I assume we're on for a game in a couple of hours?

My steam is: Errand Boy

If anyone who doesn't already have me on their friends list wants to add me. I assume we're going to discord this poo poo up?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Game is made. Friend request to genericoctopus sent. ALready got the other guy on my friends list. 15 minutes until start time.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

https://discord.gg/cS7AU

Taipeigoons discord.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I'll be down for a game same time next week. Got a hard start this time, but I'll get you all next time.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

Super secret technique for ultimate assholes (read at own peril):
If a city is doomed and cannot be neither defended nor beetle away quickly enough, you might Setseke it and force the opponent to kill the beetle rather than capture it. This is pure scorched earth, so they don't get your hard-bought buildings and wonders and poo poo.

Don't do this because then you'll give them the achievement for it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

NmareBfly posted:

Cultists are borderline overpowered but yeah initial city placement is critical. More than any other race, if your starting area is absolutely terrible remember that you can settle and salt while making your way to a new province. You'll still be falling behind a little but you can settle, stick the citizen in science or dust, and queue up salt and not lose THAT much besides a turn of growth and production. You should always be doing this with settlers in general while you move them to a good spot, there's absolutely no penalty for it.

AFAIK once you settle the cultist city you can't resettle.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Doing the Sunday game this week?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Sure I'm in.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Influence mostly. You can derive more FIDS by converting villages than anything else. Split your city pop between food and influence. Take your army around the local area to find likely villages for conversion. Around the first empire plan you should have converted enough villages to have a decent sized army so stick your hero into your city as governor and pump his influence boost. Buy a general later on to replace him but it's quantity over quality in the cultist army.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Coucho Marx posted:

Yeah, I realized after that discussion. It'd be nice if it appeared in the tooltip for city happiness, too.

So the upshot is this. Take the broken Lords capital and expand all you want. Build districts upon districts. Tank the city happiness, but also expand seven or eight other single tile cities with super high happiness. The single city unhappiness is meaningless. The empire's average happiness is what matters for science and dust. There's no tool tip on the city happiness because it has nothing to do with the science and dust bonus/penalty.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The Deleter posted:

I dunno about the auto save thing bit if you use the Salt the Earth project you raze the city and get a settler back.

Honestly if you build a bunch of Markets (can't remember what the Era 2 Approval building is right now) and/or chug wine, approval is pretty neglible in this game unless you're Allayi.

You can't raze enemy cities until they're done being little shits about being taken over.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Tanith posted:

Play Cultists, problem solved. :v:

or Clans. Actually anyone can research the mercenary tech to let you create secret armies of minor faction assholes who can raze cities.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Just got Endless Legend's Emperor Edition, and for an old Civ and HoMM player, this game seems extremely good so far. I can't really afford to buy all the DLC for it right now, despite the sale, so which ones would you recommend picking up first?

The one that introduces spying is pretty good. Then the one with the titans. Then the one with the moths.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Cavalry are super easy to replace with a cool minor faction troop. Archers less so.

As you can see there are only two ranged minor faction units, the Tetikes and the Orcs.

They have pretty decent attack but their other stats are nothing worth writing home about. Especially not compared to the Cultists archers.

You can easily replace the cultist's cavalry with the Demons (Kazanji) as a bonus assimilating Kazanji villages gives you a big influence bonus which you can use to subjugate even more villages and buy the entire board of policy upgrades every single time. Cultists starting with Kazanji is an XK end of game scenario.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Slaan posted:

Yeah, forgotten are great against cultists. Their costs scale up by the number of cities in the infiltrated empire too, so they are cheap to attack. Plus, only one city means you can get high seniority quick as you'll never want to move the spy

On the other hand, it takes a while to charge up the "destroy all fortification" bonus, and cultists are guaranteed to have super high happiness at all times.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Speedball posted:

Another thing Forgotten can do to Cultists is raze their villages. It's a harassment tactic, but since the Cult lives and dies on its ability to have functioning villages feeding it it's one that's sure to sting them and get them to waste resources fighting you.

Yeah. Unfortunately you risk drawing the wrath of the cultists as their first target of opportunity, and if they're smart they'll bear down on you first and the forgotten are not exactly defense masters.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I've always got the impression that whereas the vaulters were mezari who decided to try to figure out a way off this poo poo, who retreated to underground science caves to try to magic up a way home, and gradually forgot what they were doing over generations, the Roving clans are mezari who said "Ah gently caress it, this is fine" and just went about getting to know the planet they were stuck on.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I do want to buy ES2, but Stellaris just released a new update and that's kind of occupying my space monsters 4x time. I do miss endless style games though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

Buy both and play both. Though I haven't played Stellaris in a very long time, should get around to it.

The new update is pretty great. Xenophile is still a bit hosed, but being able to start with robots, slaves, or as a hive mind is absolutely great.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Fangz posted:

You know, this is where the whole lore kinda falls apart a bit. It's okay having dust be basically currency... But then how does trade generate it? I mean if it was fiat money, or we could just change the value of dust that would be fine, but dust is an actual substance that needs to be mined. It shouldn't just appear because you are real good at trading.

It's nanomachines that can literally bend physical reality to the will of the user. It is the enabling source of all the magic in Endless Legend and the technology in Endless Space. Dust is literally everywhere, but it's not concentrated enough to actually do anything. You have to refine it into something that can do things, and using it spreads it back out over the environment. Imagine if all of reality was suffused with an infinite supply of crude oil, and our currency was primarily based on the barrel of oil.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

Any tips on Necrophages? I like them but suck with them. Especially early game.

So the Necrophages are a lot like the Cultists. They're really powerful in certain circumstances and really weak in others. If you have a couple of empty regions around your starting region, possibly some with six villages, you can grind out a lot of NPCs with your early military, turn them into food, turn that food into pops, turn those pops into districts, and snowball your way to a win.

Same way the cultists can turn those villages into infinite soldier producers.

If you start out in an isolated corner surrounded by the sea with an immediate nearby neighbor, or on a small island, you're pretty much hosed. You won't be able to get enough npcs killed to build a big deathball and you'll just be screwed.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Yeah, the Endless series should get on to the release 1/3 of a game and then finish it with expansions model to keep interest up.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

So what's the point of diplomatic demands? I mean I have a shitton of influence, so I can make demands of another empire, but they can just say no and then we're at war? So if you have even more influence you can make different demands, and then they can say no and go to war? If they say yes then they get to reset the bar, but going to war resets it too, why would they ever say yes?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I don't exactly remember, but I'm pretty sure the planet I found with an old Endless ship factory around it had the space station in the planet view

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Kalko posted:

Yeah I probably should have kept them but I'm still (possibly incorrectly) assuming that militarist pops have an outsize effect on the inevitable buildup of the militarist faction in the senate. Well, it's not that they have more of an effect than other affiliations, but every single game I've played (I've played enough to win with UE and Riftborn now) always features a big militarist shift towards the midgame whether I go on the offensive or not.

Even if you're trying to be peaceful, defending yourself from swarms of enemy fleets is enough to ratchet up support for the militarists such that it's always that faction and your starting faction vying for power, and most of the time that lovely Jingoist Joy Bill gets forced in. I think the amount of militarist support from the various actions needs to be nerfed because yeah, every game plays out the same way. I'm assuming this game is like Civ where if you don't keep a standing army for deterrence the enemies are more likely to declare on you, but even building fleets for that purpose generates a lot of militarist support.

Sounds like it's working as intended tbh. Being faced with external threats causes people to turn to the military for protection.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Gobblecoque posted:

It's been a couple weeks since I've played but IIRC it's basically your influence generation relative to the other civ. If you have enough you can make demands of them and if they refuse it's an automatic declaration of war. In that case you don't have to pay the influence cost of declaring war so that can be nice.

"It's a way you can declare war for free" is basically yeah the entirety of what that is. Any demand you make will be met with war.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

Well random ai spawns me necrophages two regions to my south and I'm playing roving clans. Gg?

Tech for exorbitant amounts of money and try to send a 4 strength army of silic privateers at their non-capital city asap?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I can definitely buy Endless Legend on Steam still, but the Humble Bundle lists it as "unavailable in my region". There are two equally hilarious possible reasons for this:

1) Since Endless Legend is published by Sega now, and Sega is an assbrick about Taiwan most of the time, Humble Bundle just blanket assumes that Endless Legend is unavailable here.

2) Sega can't make Endless Legend unavailable here on steam, where it was already available and already purchased by people like me, but can do so for all future iterations of places selling EL.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Xik posted:

Looks like they are being super dicks about it and the keys they gave humble are region locked. Really not cool, not sure they would have done this pre-Sega.

Checks your PM's though. :)

e: Oh, I'm an idiot, you've already got it. I was wondering why your AV was so familiar (probably the old EL thread.....)

Yeah thanks for the effort, dude. I even have all the DLC :-P. I was going to recommend some friends hop on the bundle, but obviously not now. At least they listed TW and CN as separate. Small victories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

Endless Legend can really swallow up your time if you let it. Do you have the expansions? They significantly - radically, in the case of the naval one - alter the way the game plays, and for the better, I think.

If you want to learn to play more aggressively, try playing Cultists. You get your unassailable super fortress capital to scratch that turtling and building-tall itch, and you can rampage roughshod over your enemies without having to worry about managing their cities afterwards (because you razed them to the ground and they are gone now).

The Cultists are, or were (I haven't played in a while), very good. The biggest threat is espionage, because the easiest way to take down the cult is to slip a spy into their single city and use it to drop all of the fortification and take it in one turn.