Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I like Endless Legends, but I feel the big flaw is the discrepancy in certain victory conditions which become super apparent in multiplayer. Like if there is a Wild Walkers player and he knows what he is doing, the game is going to end the game like 30-40 turns earlier than a bunch of other people can. Especially if they are able to abuse the market never properly adjusting to stockpile strengths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How can this happen? Through the quest chain victory?

Yeah, if you know how to do their quest, they can just power through it easily and quickly. The only real roadblock comes from leveling a dude to a certain level and then the mithrite/hyperion for the wonder at the end, but you can just buy those from the market.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

When should I focus on food and when should I focus on industry?
I don't need detailed explanation, just a general answer will do. The only reason I'm asking is because that was the biggest thing I kept fiddling with while playing so far.

Specifically, you want to focus on food when you want to grow your city or prevent it from starving. Early on, you want to grow your city ASAP while also keeping your people at least content. Never let your people drop below content and always do your best to keep your people as close to 100% happiness as possible. Other than that, you tend to want to focus on Industry and Dust.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Or you just perma siege a city and turn it into an awesome XP farm. Will work great against AI, you might have some issues with human players when they salt their unsieged cities and rage quit.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Avasculous posted:

Wait, your objection is literally that units/armies get destroyed in combat? Are there any 4x games where that isn't the case?

The only ones I can think of that are even close to fitting that bill are the Total War games, where armies take heavy losses, get routed, and then more-often-than-not destroyed (sorry, annihilated) by a follow up attack in the same turn.

Maybe you could square it with your headspace by saying: "just as the 9 guys you have on the field are an abstraction rather than the literal size of your army, their annihilation is just an abstraction of the fact that they've been routed and reduced to below fighting strength, rather than 100% killed." ?

I could be wrong, but I think a 4x game where battles never caused armies to take more than a historically-accurate 5-10% casualties would not be very popular.

A lot of Paradox games have morale systems that attempt to simulate this and they are plenty of fun. Generally there is some trick to annihilating an entire section of their armies that will involve not allowing them to properly regroup, encircling them, etc. but normal combat rarely has entire units just ceasing to exist after a loss unless there is a giant disadvantage.